What is your Favorite Album of All-Time?

Warfish

I honestly can't pick.. It'd have to be a double album.. and probably live.. I can't even decide on a genre though..

mix tape ftw

I chose Rush - Grace Under Pressure because I am a Rush fan and it's my favorite Rush album.

I'd really want a lot more music with me than one album for the rest of my life, however.

I really don't know if I could live without ever hearing The Who - Live at Leeds or Physical Graffiti or Ben Harper - Lifeline or Pearl Jam - Backspacer (which has quickly become my favorite PJ album) or the first Ben Folds Five album (gottal love any album with a song that contains the lyric "boxing's been good to me, Howard.") or Paul's Boutique or Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger or Black Sabbath or Metallica - And Justice For All or Miles Davis - Kind of Blue or Thelonius Monk - Solo Monk or Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91 or Run DMC - Raisin' Hell or LL Cool J - Bigger and Deffer or Rage Against the Machine or Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium or anything by Sinatra ever again.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I chose Rush - Grace Under Pressure because I am a Rush fan and it's my favorite Rush album.

I'd really want a lot more music with me than one album for the rest of my life, however.

I really don't know if I could live without ever hearing The Who - Live at Leeds or Physical Graffiti or Ben Harper - Lifeline or Pearl Jam - Backspacer (which has quickly become my favorite PJ album) or the first Ben Folds Five album (gottal love any album with a song that contains the lyric "boxing's been good to me, Howard.") or Paul's Boutique or Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger or Black Sabbath or Metallica - And Justice For All or Miles Davis - Kind of Blue or Thelonius Monk - Solo Monk or Public Enemy - Apocalypse '91 or Run DMC - Raisin' Hell or LL Cool J - Bigger and Deffer or Rage Against the Machine or Stevie Wonder's Original Musiquarium or anything by Sinatra ever again.

Nice eclectic mix in there Klecko - some great stuff

Sadly somewhat true as with mega riches they moved to different parts of the world. They were at their best when Richards-Jagger lived a few houses down from each other and could write together at a moments notice. After 1974ish it all became about mastering the art of the monster $$ tour which they proceeded to do better than anyone. They also gave fans a great live show right up there with the experience of a Springsteen concert.

Albums and song writing became simply something that was "required" due to enormous record company deals. Occassionaly they'd drop another great album like Some Girls in 1978 but the brilliance of 64-74 was pretty much never duplicated. Their live shows until they got too old remained top notch however.

Listen, I see your user name, so I won't bust on the Stones too much, but do you really think Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'n' Roll continued the brilliance? I think they were the decline. I have GHS, and maybe a third of that album is even decent.

Some Girls was generally described as a resurgence for the Stones, and I think he dead period began right after Exile.

Some Girls is my favorite Stones album. It probably has as much to do with my age as the album though.

As far as overrated, my nod goes to Clapton. I'll take Beck and Page over him any day.

I bought Some Girls new as a teen and liked it, went on to buy Emotional Rescue and Tattoo You, too, which each had a couple good songs but fail to stand up as albums. Everything after Tattoo You is utter sh!t. My favorite Stones album is probably Their Satanic Majesties Request, but that also probably has a lot to do with my teenage years, and my favorite forms of leisure at the time.

I agree with you on Clapton, too. Extremely overrated. I don't think he's been interesting since Cream. Okay, maybe Derek & The Dominoes. Maybe.

Listen, I see your user name, so I won't bust on the Stones too much, but do you really think Goat's Head Soup and It's Only Rock 'n' Roll continued the brilliance? I think they were the decline. I have GHS, and maybe a third of that album is even decent.

No worries Slats. We all have different tastes. It's Only R&R was horrible with the exception of the title track.

As for GHS, I thought 7 of the 10 tracks were good but not for everyone I guess.

i am really enjoying this thread!

i love the Allmans like my buddies NJ and Boozer. and i am a filmore fan.. but i also like the classic eat a beach...

LZ II also might be a good choice

i agree with Slats .. i never have been a big Stones fan, and i am always surprised by how many people think they are all that..

i recognize clapton's amazing guitar playing .. but frankly an album of his that i want for the rest of my life, nope

i could throw steely dan into the mix.. because their albums are creative and a marvel of voice and sound..

how about CSNY's 4way street?

and for course.. there is the grateful dead.. what would i pick, though? Europe 72? WOrkingman's Dead?

too much to deal with...

thats why i initially choose Quadrophenia, Who's Next, The White ALbum or Abbey ROad... i guess i could take out Who's Next ( though i have been really digging it lately)

Anyway... i know this doesnt answer the questing.. just a few of my thoughts.. LOL! :D

i could throw steely dan into the mix.. because their albums are creative and a marvel of voice and sound..

That's a good call. If I have an excellent high fidelity system to go with my one album, I might have to consider them as well. They sound awesome all cranked up in my car. smile.gif

If I ever listen to Steely Dan, I want you to slice my head off with an Al Jarreau LP.

Steely Dan gargles my balls.

Guess you guys have heard too much of The Dan commercialized on the airwaves or maybe you just don't dig the harmonies. Thats cool, to each his/her own. I'm with gg on this bigtime. I put both Becker and Fagan on the top shelf as composer/lyricists and their albums are strewn with play from some of the best to ever hold a 6 string in their hands like Denny Diaz and Jeff "Skunk" Baxter.

Steely Dan gargles my balls.

Not much S Dan love here.

There a bit of an oddity to me.

Quite like Fagan's vocal style most of the time. Becker as a guitarist doesn't do much for me but he seems to fit here.

Black Friday from Katy Lied is a great rockin tune. Pretzel Logic, a very cool blues style song. Babylon Sister and My Old School are other favs. Kinda started losing my interest after Aja. They've done some stuff I really like......amd some other stuff.

Ride the Lightning > Master of Puppets > Kill Em All ~~ And Justice For All.

Discuss, lol.

Archived