Jenkins attempts comeback

visajets

Jets' Kris Jenkins attempts another comeback after second straight knee injury

Published: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 5:00 AM Updated: Thursday, February 17, 2011, 7:47 AM

By Jenny Vrentas/The Star-Ledger

John Munson/The Star-LedgerThe Jets' Kris Jenkins sits on the ground after injuring himself in the first quarter against the Baltimore Ravens last September. The nose tackle tore the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, ending his season.

Kris Jenkins, wearing a gray Jets Dri-Fit and twin scars on his left knee, spoke his motivation out loud.

“It’s only pain,” he grunted during a workout this week.

Later: “You’re not going to get anywhere if you don’t work.”

The Jets nose tackle has embraced the rare challenge of coming back from consecutive anterior cruciate ligament tears in the same knee, sustained just 11 months apart.

For weeks, he recovered and rehabbed. Now, he has begun the daunting process of reconditioning and rebuilding his body to be ready when — and if — training camp begins in six months.

Training at TEST Sports Clubs in Martinsville, Jenkins gulped from a red aluminum water bottle and characterized this as a “tortured experiment” to build back the muscle mass he lost in nearly two full seasons spent on the sideline.

But in another breath, he also called it a “vacation,” though the sweat-soaked 31-year-old acknowledged that might not seem to make sense.

“This is a celebration of my life, and what I want it to be,” Jenkins explained. “This is what we consider leaving on your own terms.”

That’s why Jenkins made the decision to return, instead of retire, in the weeks after tearing his knee in last season’s opener against the Ravens.

He has been in the NFL for 10 seasons, faced the mortality of his football career and believes if anyone can make it back onto the field, it’s him. He says so even though his knee is sore, and he’s still at the point where he must evaluate daily if he’s strong enough to jog, or if he should walk.

Jenkins is also aware enough to understand the flip side: That he’s due to earn a base salary of $3.75 million this year, that the Jets must consider if they can count on him staying healthy, that general manager Mike Tannenbaum admitted the team will “take a long look” at his situation.

Jenkins said he and coach Rex Ryan had a “good conversation” about his future before the season ended.

“I’m not even going to lie and act like that’s something I don’t think about,” Jenkins said. “When you’re looking at (the team’s) big strategy, I’m just one person. I’m not going to walk into a situation and be so arrogant to be like, ‘Oh, I’m going to be fine because I’m Kris Jenkins.’ I wish.

“I like what I’m doing; I know when I’m healthy, I can play with the best of them. But I did get hurt two years in a row. It’s a decision they have to make.”

So Jenkins is focusing on the part he can control. Last week, he began an intense regimen at TEST five days a week — including yoga and recovery on Wednesdays — designed to build gradually in two-week intervals until the start of camp.

The first two weeks have been dedicated to stability, mobility and balance. His workouts rely on “cadence reps,” done more slowly to build a base, with 20 to 30 percent of the weight he might normally use. On a scale of 1 to 10, TEST founder Brian Martin explained, the intensity of these workouts is 2.

In the next two weeks, Jenkins will train at a quicker pace and build endurance. The following phase focuses on growing muscles, particularly those in the lower body around the knee, and change-of-direction running and agility. Then, he will move into explosive training, with jumping and bounding, before reevaluating his progress at the two-month checkpoint.

Jenkins did not disclose his current weight, but his goal is 350 pounds — nine fewer than when he reported to camp last year. To that end, he has also refocused his diet, including replacing night snacking with fruits or protein drinks and fueling at the right times so he burns fat during workouts.

Martin says he speaks with Jets head athletic trainer John Mellody every few days about Jenkins’ progress and his next steps. Jenkins is committed enough that he did not travel to Dallas to watch his younger brother, Packers defensive end Cullen Jenkins, play in Super Bowl XLV, because he didn’t want to veer off his routine.

He watched at home in West Orange, though, screaming and cheering like a crazy fan. When Cullen won his Super Bowl ring, Jenkins admitted “a lot of pressure came off.”

“My brother brought a Super Bowl ring into the family,” Jenkins explained. “It kind of put the icing on the cake for everything we’ve been through as a family. We all felt like we were a part of that.”

In the days before the game, Cullen Jenkins revealed he hadn’t heard from their father since Christmas and worried he was missing. Kris Jenkins explained that Darome Jenkins, who raised the boys as a single dad, needed to retreat into his own space in Hawaii to confront some personal issues, and that it was a good thing for him.

Jenkins says he is proud of where his family members are in their lives, and his role in helping them get there: His brother, his father, his wife, his three sons. For the next six months, the four-time Pro Bowler is committed to his own journey, to doing himself and his career proud.

“I still have hurdles,” he said, looking down at his left knee. “I will jump them, or duck under, or walk around. Any way of getting past them.”

Jenny Vrentas: jvrentas@starledger.com

Hopefully he and Tanny will work out a restructured deal and we can have him come back and start as Pouha's backup. If he holds up for first part of year then they can increase his reps. I'd rather have a Kris Jenkins taking up a spot on my team if he can play, then go with an unknown. sh*t we wasted a spot all year on Gholston once again, I think we can afford one for Jenks.

If he doesnt take his rehab seriously AGAIN. cut him. showing up to tc last year at 400lbs and crying about his boo boo didnt help.

Oh you mean you didnt find it amusing to see his fat a$$ on the golf cart in Hard Knocks and then surprised to see him laying on the carpet injured in the first game.

MOVE ON AND REMOVE HIM FROM THE BANNER PLEASE HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO WARRANT A SPOT UP THERE.

hope he is actually able to play the entire season. Gotta think the Jets would be better with him no matter if he isn't the same as 09. Two afc championship games without him. They have to be better with him.

His value may not be as high on the field as it used to be, but he sure as hell seemed valuable as a leader

Oh you mean you didnt find it amusing to see his fat a$$ on the golf cart in Hard Knocks and then surprised to see him laying on the carpet injured in the first game.

MOVE ON AND REMOVE HIM FROM THE BANNER PLEASE HE HAS DONE NOTHING TO WARRANT A SPOT UP THERE.

I WILL NOT LOWER MY VOICE THAT WOULD MEAN I HAVE LOST THE ARGUMENT THE BANNER IS VERY IMPORTANT DRIVING GOLF CARTS CAUSES KNEE INJURIES LET THAT BE A LESSON TO US ALL GOLF CARTS ARE THE WORK OF THE DEVIL

Man you guys are vicious. I hope he comes back. The guy is huge, normal people don't get that big. It's guys like Jenkins that made it necessary to make rules to protect the QB. Just to compare, the difference between Jenkins and the average QB is actually more than the average NFL QB vs. the average NFL fan. WRs and CBs are far closer to a regular fan actually. The NFL would be insanely boring if all the QBs would get injured all the time, as they were doing. So let's have that scary weapon on our side!

Plus if anybody ever hits Sanchez late again, I'm hoping big guys like Jenkins return fire, as our defense showed no interest in even tackling Ben, let alone to hitting him late. It'd be nice if our pussified offensive players would riot the next time Sanchez takes a late hit. When I watch the top teams, they always protect their QB. I remember a little late love tap in a playoff game for the Niners, I think against the Bears on Steve Young. The entire team smashed the guy for it.

Why doesn't our team do that? Instead the fans whine later on about it.

I WILL NOT LOWER MY VOICE THAT WOULD MEAN I HAVE LOST THE ARGUMENT THE BANNER IS VERY IMPORTANT DRIVING GOLF CARTS CAUSES KNEE INJURIES LET THAT BE A LESSON TO US ALL GOLF CARTS ARE THE WORK OF THE DEVIL

NOOOOOOOOOOOO But lugging your fat out of shape a$$ onto the practice field on one is a problem. Especially when you need the exercise. DAMMIT

Man you guys are vicious. I hope he comes back. The guy is huge, normal people don't get that big. It's guys like Jenkins that made it necessary to make rules to protect the QB. Just to compare, the difference between Jenkins and the average QB is actually more than the average NFL QB vs. the average NFL fan. WRs and CBs are far closer to a regular fan actually. The NFL would be insanely boring if all the QBs would get injured all the time, as they were doing. So let's have that scary weapon on our side!

Plus if anybody ever hits Sanchez late again, I'm hoping big guys like Jenkins return fire, as our defense showed no interest in even tackling Ben, let alone to hitting him late. It'd be nice if our pussified offensive players would riot the next time Sanchez takes a late hit. When I watch the top teams, they always protect their QB. I remember a little late love tap in a playoff game for the Niners, I think against the Bears on Steve Young. The entire team smashed the guy for it.

Why doesn't our team do that? Instead the fans whine later on about it.

Because then we would all whine about the lack of discipline.

NOOOOOOOOOOOO But lugging your fat out of shape a$$ onto the practice field on one is a problem. Especially when you need the exercise. DAMMIT

that clip could have been from before/after practice. one clip of the man riding a go cart does not mean he was completely eschewing walking.

that clip could have been from before/after practice. one clip of the man riding a go cart does not mean he was completely eschewing walking.

Ok then how about not showing up to camp grossly overweight to the point where your knees cannot support your body.

Two knee injuries, 31 years old-not looking good.

You never know, though. Sometimes in rehab you suddenly turn a corner and the injury is beat. That might happpen with Jenkins, but I don't see the Jets giving the full 3 million under any circumstances. Nobody else is going to, either.

I have faith in Big Jenks. He just needs to restructure into an incentive laden deal that has escalators based on playing time and productivity.

+1 it's all about the price. at his current contract they dont need him. At vet min plus incentives I love him. this is his 3rd ACL btw... he already had an ACL in Carolina.

Archived