Grade the JETS draft

Larz

I know, I know, it's too early, it takes 3 years, we haven't even had free agency

1 30 (30) Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple

3 30 (94) Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton

4 29 (126) Bilal Powell RB Louisville

5 22 (153) Jeremy Kerley WR TCU

7 5 (208) Greg McElroy QB Alabama

7 25 (227) Scotty McKnight WR Colorado

I put it in the B/B- range... probably around an 83%.

I like the transformation in DLine, even though they weren't the sexy picks most (like me) were hoping to see. Kerley and Powell could pay off, but I would have preferred to see LB/S drafted in those spots. McElroy was a solid pick, and McKnight.. whatever.

One thing that stands out is that the Jets main focus on the draft is what they think gets them the most value, not who will contribute immediately or fill a need immediately. That philosophy stood out the most with the Powell pick.

I know, I know, it's too early, it takes 3 years, we haven't even had free agency

C+........Shoulda Got an OLB in the 4th like Chris Carter, and shoulda drafted a wr before rb.

1 30 (30) Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple

3 30 (94) Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton

4 29 (126) Bilal Powell RB Louisville

5 22 (153) Jeremy Kerley WR TCU

7 5 (208) Greg McElroy QB Alabama

7 25 (227) Scotty McKnight WR Colorado

If Ellis does not go to jail, it could turn out to be an A-.

I really love what we did in the 7th round Dennis. Me and my best friend since we were kids used to play QB (me) and WR (Steve)and would practice until dark. There's a lot to be said for that kind of relationship on the field. I always knew where Steve would be and he always knew when I would be looking for him. Sanchez and McKnight will have the same kind of chemistry X 1000

It was always going to be difficult for the JETS to sign all their free agents.

Going into this draft the JETS decided which of their free agents they were not going to sign and to find their replacements via this draft. And to that end they did accomplish a lot.

I would be surprised to see Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins, Kellen Clemens and even LT coming back.

It also brightens the chances of Cromartie, Harris, Edwards and/or Holmes being signed.

Overall grade a solid B!

It was always going to be difficult for the JETS to sign all their free agents.

Going into this draft the JETS decided which of their free agents they were not going to sign and to find their replacements via this draft. And to that end they did accomplish a lot.

I would be surprised to see Shaun Ellis, Kris Jenkins, Kellen Clemens and even LT coming back.

It also brightens the chances of Cromartie, Harris, Edwards and/or Holmes being signed.

Overall grade a solid B!

Ellis and Jenkins are already gone JFID and Clemens is as good as gone after McElroy-Erik Ainge too

First two picks were solid, nothing else to say but keep in mind, I know we all wanted an OLB and S but if FO simply thought there were none available that would be good enough to be starting at some point on our defense then I trust their judgment to not draft a S or OLB, if they are just going to be non factors like gholston We would have eventually needed a 3rd RB so at least we have one now and powell will be insurance in case mcknight just fails epically. Powell has also done some wildcat formations so that could help fill the void of smith leaving along with Kerley returning kicks. Scotty Mcknight looks to be a slot guy i think, i only say that because hes white lol. and Mcelroy will be a better backup than clemens and if a QB that was drafted earlier becomes a bust then tanny will be getting some calls for mcelroy. ill give the draft a solid B.

1 30 (30) Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple - A, was really hoping we got kerrigan, wilkerson was my second/first realistic choice.

3 30 (94) Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton - A, if he doesn't go to jail. I was hoping christian ballard, but k. ellis is a beast.

4 29 (126) Bilal Powell RB Louisville - D, not because of him being a bad player we really needed a safety or lb

5 22 (153) Jeremy Kerley WR TCU - B, likely means b smith is gone and we needed a returner.

7 5 (208) Greg McElroy QB Alabama - D, not really sure what the hell he's going to do other then get water for sanchez.

7 25 (227) Scotty McKnight WR Colorado - D, does it really matter in round seven who we get. Likely won't make the team.

I'm going B+

I loved the first and last two picks

powell brings it down from an A in my mind, I wanted a S or OLB there

I actually like the Powell pick, it shows an acknowledgement of LT's likelihood of burning out, Greene's propensity for getting nicked up, and the understanding that Joe McKnight isn't an every down back.

I think the S or OLB comes from FA, if/when labor sh*t gets resolved.

I was surprised they went all offense on D3, but overall -on paper- I'm pretty pleased.

Wilkerson should be a starter, and Ellis should at least be sharing the snaps at NT. If he can win the job, and Pouha can start at the other DE, the Jets will be fielding a BIG DL.

Powell pushes Greene to live up to his potential.

Kerley and McKnight II both play the same position, with Kerley probably the better player, but McKnight already having chemistry with Sanchez. Jets need an underneath receiver, nice to see them recognize that. I hope that by drafting two smaller WR's, they're signaling that they want to get a deal done with Braylon.

McElroy reads like a backup QB. Excellent head for the position, but lacking physical gifts. If he can hand the ball off and/or throw it short, he can spell Sanchez for a few downs if need be.

I was surprised they went all offense on D3, but overall -on paper- I'm pretty pleased.

Wilkerson should be a starter, and Ellis should at least be sharing the snaps at NT. If he can win the job, and Pouha can start at the other DE, the Jets will be fielding a BIG DL.

Powell pushes Greene to live up to his potential.

Kerley and McKnight II both play the same position, with Kerley probably the better player, but McKnight already having chemistry with Sanchez. Jets need an underneath receiver, nice to see them recognize that. I hope that by drafting two smaller WR's, they're signaling that they want to get a deal done with Braylon.

McElroy reads like a backup QB. Excellent head for the position, but lacking physical gifts. If he can hand the ball off and/or throw it short, he can spell Sanchez for a few downs if need be.

I think there's some real concern with Cotchery coming off this back operation and Brad Smith may not be back

I actually like the Powell pick, it shows an acknowledgement of LT's likelihood of burning out, Greene's propensity for getting nicked up, and the understanding that Joe McKnight isn't an every down back.

I think the S or OLB comes from FA, if/when labor sh*t gets resolved.

you now it's funny, my first thoughts on his highlights was "wow, that dude can fly !" then I saw he was projected as like a 6th round pick, and kind of looked at it as a reach. If he turns out to be a KR guy, that will change my mind

Its stupid to knock their grade down because they drafted a different position than what you wanted. Its about the overall value of each player in the haul. Which is pretty good, especially their first 4 picks and then McElroy seals it with an overall A.

Lets see...they finally go DL....they grab my favorite player in the draft...they grab a guy who could play the Ahmad Bradshaw type RB...I don't dislike the QB...the WRs are a little small, but I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

B+

Excellent insight here. I hope you're right that it's a message that we want Braylon back more than Holmes.

We've heard rumors that the Jets want Holmes back more than Braylon, and I was worried that with a sleeper like Patrick Turner on the squad, Holmes would be the easier move (Turner being a tall, physical receiver).

Excellent insight here. I hope you're right that it's a message that we want Braylon back more than Holmes.

We've heard rumors that the Jets want Holmes back more than Braylon, and I was worried that with a sleeper like Patrick Turner on the squad, Holmes would be the easier move (Turner being a tall, physical receiver).

Isn't Braylon going out to the Jets West thing with Sanchez despite not being under contract? And I'm pretty sure Holmes isn't... Think that shows some good faith on Braylon's part and his desire to come back, whereas Holmes I think is going to go wherever he gets offered the biggest contract. I'd guess that won't be here, but honestly even if it was just a one year rental I think taking the shot on Holmes for just a 5th was a decent move.

Archived