Penny to be on FOX NFL

PatriotReign37

No I just dont like those who criticize a professional athlete like Chad.

Considering you celebrate the career mediocre at best player because he was nice to your kid, you'll excuse my lack of concern with your distaste for me.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree

Just don't understand the hatred for the guy. Glad he's gone, and I understand the disappointment after his early career promise, but just don't get the hatred.

Class Act

Funny thing is, I never even got the 'class act' comments.

Chad was never a criminal, and he's white. That's pretty much the definition of class act around here.

1) Calling his contract, which was the highest in team history, 'team friendly', was a slap in the face to any fan with a brain.

2) His honor and a privilege speech showed him as a whiny baby who couldn't handle a little criticism.

3) His complaining about Kellen Clemens getting the start over him after he went 1-7, only beating the win-less then 1-15 Dolphins.

4) His Eminem dance after Miami was forced to pull their starting QB for him.

5) Lack of personal accountability. Does anyone remember a press conference where he admitted to having a bad day?

But, if there's one thing you can say about Chad Pennington, he sure was white.

Funny thing is, I never even got the 'class act' comments.

Chad was never a criminal, and he's white. That's pretty much the definition of class act around here.

1) Calling his contract, which was the highest in team history, 'team friendly', was a slap in the face to any fan with a brain.

2) His honor and a privilege speech showed him as a whiny baby who couldn't handle a little criticism.

3) His complaining about Kellen Clemens getting the start over him after he went 1-7, only beating the win-less then 1-15 Dolphins.

4) His Eminem dance after Miami was forced to pull their starting QB for him.

5) Lack of personal accountability. Does anyone remember a press conference where he admitted to having a bad day?

But, if there's one thing you can say about Chad Pennington, he sure was white.

WOW

Did you really play the race card twice in a conversation on Pennington? Congratulations

Dude got a cap-crushing $64M deal from the Jets. I have no sympathy for the guy.

he also provided us all with the honor and privilege of watching him get injured and lob checkdowns for what seemed like an eternity. I don't hold any ill will towards him as a human being, but as a football player I despise him.

I'm not the biggest Chad fan either, but that one's certainly not on him. 'Oh hey, let me just turn down $64 million to play a game.' Brilliant decision that would have been.

I actually do agree with this, however he does deserve a good kick in the nuts for taking the deal then turning around and publicly patting himself on the back for his "team friendly deal". That one's solely on him.

I dont know how any fan of the NYJETS could wish bad things on a guy who gave his heart and soul every time he stepped on the field.

Because many fans of the NY Jets are ******* idiots. Pennington could be a great analyst and it's good that he's finally realizing the playing career is over.

I did. I'm also not wrong.

I found your post kind of interesting too. I wonder why you would take such a leap? Why would you attribute peoples perception to Chad's alleged "classiness" to his being white? Maybe he is just a nice guy. Everyone thinks Curtis Martin is a class act. He's black. Everone thinks Philip Rivers is an a-hole - he's white and has taken the hit in press conferences. People may think Herman Edwards is a buffoon, but everyone thinks he's a good guy and he used to throw people under the bus all the time during his pressers.

Honestly, I think it's a southern thing. Everytime I visit the Southeast, it's a smile, "thanks ma'am," "y'all have a nice day," "I'm glad to help, sweetheart," etc. Nice to hear... and everyone assumes these people are "nice" and "class acts." I've been down there enough times to realize it's just part of the vernacular. There are assholes everywhere. All shapes, sizes, colors, religion, political leanings, region, ethnic background, sports fandom, etc.

I found your post kind of interesting too. I wonder why you would take such a leap? Why would you attribute peoples perception to Chad's alleged "classiness" to his being white? Maybe he is just a nice guy. Everyone thinks Curtis Martin is a class act. He's black. Everone thinks Philip Rivers is an a-hole - he's white and has taken the hit in press conferences. People may think Herman Edwards is a buffoon, but everyone thinks he's a good guy and he used to throw people under the bus all the time during his pressers.

Honestly, I think it's a southern thing. Everytime I visit the Southeast, it's a smile, "thanks ma'am," "y'all have a nice day," "I'm glad to help, sweetheart," etc. Nice to hear... and everyone assumes these people are "nice" and "class acts." I've been down there enough times to realize it's just part of the vernacular. There are assholes everywhere. All shapes, sizes, colors, religion, political leanings, region, ethnic background, sports fandom, etc.

All good points, G-money. I think there's just such difficulty in resolving the mythos of Chad with the reality of Chad that we all reach deeper than it needs to be to find an answer. He's like Nicholas Cage that way.

Why would you attribute peoples perception to Chad's alleged "classiness" to his being white? Maybe he is just a nice guy.

Yes, maybe he is a nice guy, but in the face of almost no evidence proving so, people - including the media - never hesitate to proclaim just how classy he is every time his name is mentioned.

I don't think this is solely the case for James Chadwick Pennington, as it seems that white players are perceived as being "classy", "gritty", and "hardworking" until an orgy of evidence proves otherwise (see: Rivers, Philip). I think the burden of proof is reversed for black players - especially, Heaven forbid they have dreadlocks and/or tattoos.

Yes, maybe he is a nice guy, but in the face of almost no evidence proving so, people - including the media - never hesitate to proclaim just how classy he is every time his name is mentioned.

I don't think this is solely the case for James Chadwick Pennington, as it seems that white players are perceived as being "classy", "gritty", and "hardworking" until an orgy of evidence proves otherwise (see: Rivers, Philip). I think the burden of proof is reversed for black players - especially, Heaven forbid they have dreadlocks and/or tattoos.

Hehe...orgy.

I'm not the biggest Chad fan either, but that one's certainly not on him. 'Oh hey, let me just turn down $64 million to play a game.' Brilliant decision that would have been.

good point. nobody here would turn it down on principle. I even understood when he signed with the dolphins, I would have done the same thing

Hector does a pretty nice job of explaining this. White players get these labels for no apparent reason but they stick because the average white fan wants them to. Chad Pennington's career, and the items I've listed, display a different story that isn't all about classiness but rather about himself. The fact is, Jets fans love guys like Chad just as they love guys like Wayne Chrebet. They see themselves in the player. It's a classic Horatio Algers story where they see a guy with limited talent, able to make it in the world. People like Chad Pennington because they want to be him, and because of his limited physical abilities they ALMOST feel like they could have been.

Fact is, we got the closet we've been to a championship in a long time with a QB with rape allegations from college, a WR who gets in fight's and gets DWIs, and another WR who can't even figure out how to pass a piss test. You know what, I'll take it. In the real world, most "classy" and "gritty" athletes aren't winners. Neither was Chad.

Herm on ESPN. Chad on Fox. That's all we have to show from that era.

And BTW...Herm does a great job on ESPN. Really really great!!!

ESPN gets extra money form the gummimint for employing a developmentally-disabled adult.

Would STRONGLY disagree. The man is and always has been a babbling idiot.

Good post, great points all around. Around here, most everyone I know says thank you, tells people to have a nice day, all that good stuff. Some of those people are good people, not all. Actions, not words...and that really ties it all together for Chad in 3 words. Actions, not words. He said some great stuff. I loved the guy when he was here (do wish him well with broadcasting now even), but EY and BG have done a good job of exploiting his shortcomings. He said the things that sounded great...the things that as fans, we often want to hear. But in the end, he didn't win. I wanted him to, badly...but he didn't. So it was on to the next guy, and the next guy. Oh well.

Hector does a pretty nice job of explaining this. White players get these labels for no apparent reason but they stick because the average white fan wants them to. Chad Pennington's career, and the items I've listed, display a different story that isn't all about classiness but rather about himself. The fact is, Jets fans love guys like Chad just as they love guys like Wayne Chrebet. They see themselves in the player. It's a classic Horatio Algers story where they see a guy with limited talent, able to make it in the world. People like Chad Pennington because they want to be him, and because of his limited physical abilities they ALMOST feel like they could have been.

Fact is, we got the closet we've been to a championship in a long time with a QB with rape allegations from college, a WR who gets in fight's and gets DWIs, and another WR who can't even figure out how to pass a piss test. You know what, I'll take it. In the real world, most "classy" and "gritty" athletes aren't winners. Neither was Chad.

As someone limited in athletics, who loved the game and always wanted to play even though I never really could...this. First two favorite Jets? Chrebet and Pennington. Now it's Braylon, who may be a Ram next year. I suppose I just enjoy rejection and letdowns :P

Curtis Martin didn't win squat and most of you think he's a demi-God.

I did not listen to Chad's pressers the way Jets fans do, so I will defer to your observations regarding him. However, for me anyway, it's a little hard to bash a dude that played hurt all the time and tried to play through it for his team. I think some of you hate him for it. Call it selfish, and perhaps that is justified. I would hope then that all of you hate Brett Favre for the very same reason.

I was at the Meadowlands for the Pats/Jets game where Chad got hurt, lay on the turf injured, and the Jets crowd in attendance started cheering. Not sure if was the majority, but if not, it sure was a very loud vocal minority.

I did not listen to Chad's pressers the way Jets fans do, so I will defer to your observations regarding him. However, for me anyway, it's a little hard to bash a dude that played hurt all the time and tried to play through it for his team. I think some of you hate him for it. Call it selfish, and perhaps that is justified. I would hope then that all of you hate Brett Favre for the very same reason.

I was at the Meadowlands for the Pats/Jets game where Chad got hurt, lay on the turf injured, and the Jets crowd in attendance started cheering. Not sure if was the majority, but if not, it sure was a very loud vocal minority.

I was in a sports bar when that happened. A Fish fan was sitting at our table. He just said "No class" Couldn't argue

The issue with Chad was the perfect storm of disaster. For starters, he simply wasn't a very good NFL QB. As I mentioned earlier in this thread, the guy could've been a great career backup or journeyman QB, but he clearly never had what it takes to be a franchise QB. And that goes far beyond the physical limitations of his arm strength, a big part of it was his mentality too. Granted the guy had a weak arm, but there were plenty of times there were passes he had the ability to make and chose not too. For all of the credit he got for his accuracy, the fact is there's a reason he was dubbed Checkdown Chad, as he perpetually played scared and was notorious for short completions on dumpoffs on third and longs.

Then you move on to what is often the one criteria, fair or not, QBs are most harshly judged about, which I guess you could call "clutchness". How I guy performs in big spots; division games, 4th quarter comebacks, playoffs games, has a big impact on how good of a QB he was. Chad consistently played his worst football in those situations. You should know as well as anyone he was normally a complete embarrassment against the Patriots. Outside of maybe his first year as a starter and his game for the Dolphins where he sat on the sideline all day while Ronnie Brown owned your asses, a Chad QBed team was always in major trouble when against the Pats. The Steelers always absolutely owned Chad beyond belief, which of course was most notable in the 3-point offensive performance in the 2004 divisional round, which was after his 2002 meltdown against Oakland, followed by his horrible playoff games against the Pats and Ravens to round out his career 2-4 playoff record.

Then there was the money. A mediocre QB got a $64 million contract (huge money at the time) which cost the Jets a number of other players. Perhaps that's not Chad's fault that he got it, but people are still going to hold it against him, because he wasn't playing up to the level that he was getting paid. And he kind of asked for it on that one, which comes to the next point... his personality. Moments after Chad signed the richest contract in football, he started patting himself on the back for his "team friendly" deal. Talk about arrogance. The guy was clearly always very impressed with himself. I can't tell you how often we'd have to listen to why a horrendous game by Chad wasn't his fault and that if he had a chance to play it again, he wouldn't have changed a thing. The only thing that ever went wrong for Chad was just bad luck, and the fact that he had the same "bad luck" against the same teams over and over again was just coincidence I'm sure. Then when his continuous bad luck got too much for even the Jets to handle and he was benched for Clemens, he was the most immature child about it imaginable. He made it known repeatedly that he should be the starter, and that his poor play wasn't his fault. He spoke out publicly against the team and it's new starter while moping on the sidelines game after game. He continued to insist he was the better QB and should be the starter as Clemens took a team that went 1-8 with Chad to a 3-4 record, including a win over the Chad-owning Steelers.

The moping and demanding he was better on a constant basis only continued when it was originally announced that the 2008 starting QB job was going to be up for grabs via competition between him and Clemens. Anyone who thinks this was a one-time thing for Chad, just look and see his reaction to Henne getting benched in favor of him last year.

Have I gone on long enough? I think at this point I've made my own thoughts on Chad pretty clear, and there's even more that was left out in the interest of not making this even more excessively long than it is, but the fact is that when you compound his play, his position, his pay and his attitude, he pissed a lot of people off. And all of this without even discussing that the guy is made of glass and clearly far too fragile to be counted on. When you consider the amount of 2nd, 3rd and 4th chances he was given despite repeated failures while still endlessly praised for traits that he never actually exhibited (as others mentioned earlier, what did he ever do the show this unmatched "classiness"?), people got fed up with his crap.

^

tl;dr, amirite?

I was at the game last night and did not hear anything like what was mentioned.

Archived