Mason chooses #nyj

Jetkid94

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move. Unfortunately it leaves us without a 2 or a 3 again next year but it's better than the nonsense about Jeremy Kerley playing the slot... what a lie that was.

Are you for real? How is it a problem to have a rookie play the slot? Especially one who is clearly our long term prospect at that position and has been impressing so far at camp?

helmet.gif

On Saturday wide receiver Derrick Mason announced that he will be signing with the New York Jets.   Mason, 37, will more than likely fill the slot position taking over for the released Jerricho Cotchery.  Terms of the deal have not been disclosed.

Mason offered the following tweets:

@deemason85: Jet fuel is full time to fly!

@deemason85: Going from one young gun to another!! Hahahahahaha

I think this is a solid signing by the Jets as Mason could be considered an upgrade over the departed Cotchery.  Only time will tell but the wide receiving group of Holmes, Burress, and Mason could do some damage this year.

Share your thoughts about the Mason signing

di</img>di</img>

zzMTXTWJUs4

View the full article

Jets signed WR Derrick Mason, formerly of the Ravens.

It's a surprising move, as not only is Mason moving on from his home for the past six years, but likely for less money than he could have made in Baltimore (at least according to Rex Ryan). His signing shouldn't necessarily affect Plaxico Burress' fantasy stock, but may cap Dustin Keller's, who was in for a boost in targets after the Jets cut Jerricho Cotchery. However, it's also possible Mason could be finished. The 37-year-old visibly lost a step in 2010, topping 80 yards receiving in a game only twice while managing just one catch in Baltimore's two playoff games.

gotta love JETS fans....never happy

we're supposed to be overjoyed with 2 new geriatric Wide receivers? Yeah we just won the SUperbowl, NFL superstah Derrick Mason is the missing piece to a ring! Hallelujah

we're supposed to be overjoyed with 2 new geriatric Wide receivers? Yeah we just won the SUperbowl, NFL superstah Derrick Mason is the missing piece to a ring! Hallelujah

DLJ I too wanted Braylon Edwards on this team, but hes gone. Im still a Braylon Edwards fan but a NYJETS fan first and foremost.

DLJ I too wanted Braylon Edwards on this team, but hes gone. Im still a Braylon Edwards fan but a NYJETS fan first and foremost.

I didnt say sh*t about Braylon Edwards. But forgive me for not being super excited at the signings of Plaxico Burress and Derrick ****in' Mason. <_<

At a minimum (and likely for close to minimum salary), Mason provides the Jets with veteran depth at the WR position. Something they didn't have just a couple hours ago. A fan would really have to be desperate to whine if they're whining about this.

The Jets can still pursue any WR that comes free, or anyone that becomes available via trade.

I didnt say sh*t about Braylon Edwards. But forgive me for not being super excited at the signings of Plaxico Burress and Derrick ****in' Mason. <_<

im not too happy about the Mason deal either but it is what it is...

i do like the PLAX signing...he's got alot to prove..

At a minimum (and likely for close to minimum salary), Mason provides the Jets with veteran depth at the WR position. Something they didn't have just a couple hours ago. A fan would really have to be desperate to whine if they're whining about this.

The Jets can still pursue any WR that comes free, or anyone that becomes available via trade.

are there any OAKLAND WR's that got dumped due to cap...lol..

After losing Jerricho, I'm very thankful we landed Derrick Mason. He's one hell of a WR. He's put up 134 receptions, 1,830 receiving yards and 14 TD's over the past two seasons. Thats very impressive. Even though Mason hasn't missed a game in 8 years, staying healthy at the age of 37 is my only concern surrounding the addition of Mason. Lets hope for the best with Plaxico Burress, because if Plaxico can return to form, we'll have one hell of a duo between Holmes and Plaxico on the outside. Mason is a player who can do some damage out of the slot. He's a sure handed veteran, can pick up the tough 3rd down due to precise route running ability and most importantly... He doesn't make costly mistakes such as fumbles or dropped passes under pressure. I'll miss Braylon and Cotchery, but I'm also excited to see what we have in Plaxico, Mason and Kerley. Jeremy Kerley is a rookie who's going to make an immediate impact for the Jets. He's just about the same size as Wes Welker and Wayne Chrebet. He's built for the slot, very nice hands and extremely shifty in the open field.

Are you for real? How is it a problem to have a rookie play the slot? Especially one who is clearly our long term prospect at that position and has been impressing so far at camp?

A 5th round rookie who wont have a full training camp (like all rookies) is NOT a guy you want to start in the slot. I hope this kid is awesome but everyone needs to settle the F down with this guy. He's had a good week of practice, thats it.

Archived