first 5 moves you'd make if given the reigns this offseason

sirlancemehlot

1. Full court press on Bruce Arians. Our new HC. Sanchez has to stay for a year due to his stupid contract extension. If anybody can fix/develop a QB, its Arians. First Peyton Manning, then Rothlisberger, now Luck, the guy is three-for-three and rumor has it he'd jump at an HC opportunity following this season.

2. Demote Tannenbaum. Let him count the beans if he's willing to stay around in that capacity. But there's no way he's in charge of everyday operations, personnel. I hire...wait for it...Mangini as GM, or at least head of scouting. His track record is solid in player aquisition outside of Gholston (who was bad...but a lock at the four spot that draft). He's smart and has a philosophy in everything he does. He gives a a rudder to a ship adrift, and won't be pushed around.

3. Draft: Right tackle. Period. There are plenty solid Olinemen available in 2013. Draft: Tight End. A blocker with some hands in the mold of Pitta, Miller, Owen Daniels, Olsen. Draft: OLB. No stud neccessary, just someone to fill the void left by either Pace or Thomas (McIntyre starts opposite).

4. Retain Mike Pettine. If not, move Bob Sutton from Assistant HC (his current title) to DC. He knows the squad, the defense and has been a good soldier. His linebacking corps has been solid every year, except this season when he was moved from backers to assistant HC,.

5. FA's: sign Braylon to a 2-3 year contract. Aquire a journeyman guard to stabilize the line (Moore may go, or to upgrade Slauson). Ducasse is released. Aquire, a solid blocking back who can catch. Doesn't have top be a world beater, just a good blitz guy and a third down checkdown guy. A danny woodhead type fits this role.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1. Fire Mike Tannenbaum or at least move him to the accounting department. Bring in a talent guy who can actually develop talent and recognize it in a draft.

2. Allow new GM to decide Rex's fate.

3. Fire Tony Sparano, whether Rex stays or goes.

4. Release Tim Tebow. Cut Scott, Pace, Thomas, Jason Smith, Eric Smith etc to make the cap more manageable.

5. Seriously explore trading Darelle Revis or Antonio Cromartie.

we have nobody that can rush the paser we need to go to a 4-3 put devito and puha inside or ellis puha does nothing for me, and draft a olb jones is going to be beast ,the oline then reciver. go and bring smith from the 49rs he is a hell of an upgrade at QB. and yes Braylon needs to stay here ship holmes out for a 3rd and tebow for a bag of penuts if they can get that. and mr.T. just needs to go and take his scout team with him

1. Fire everyone.

2. Bring in a guy from a winning organization like the Ravens, Steelers or Packers to be head of football ops.

3. Hire David Shaw as the head coach.

4. Trade Revis, Cromarte and every other vet with value for picks.

5. Draft playmakers.

Id keep Revis...other than that Im fine with everything.

We could be a WC team next year if we get some dudes that can actually play on offense. We desperately need a back.

1. Fire everyone.

2. Bring in a guy from a winning organization like the Ravens, Steelers or Packers to be head of football ops.

3. Hire David Shaw as the head coach.

4. Trade Revis, Cromarte and every other vet with value for picks.

5. Draft playmakers.

lol.....if it were this easy thats what every team would do with every pick they have at every draft. its not as if anyone goes into the draft saying "lets pick some crappy players"

its almost like saying

"how to get rich"

step 1: start succesful company

or

step 1: pick winning lottery numbers

lol.....if it were this easy thats what every team would do with every pick they have at every draft

Possibly...but we've essentially ignored the skill positions. Well, we sure as hell cant scout them.

This regime has drafted four backs in four years and they all stink.

1. Hire Polian, hope you get the good Polian since he's starting from scratch. Let him gut the roster and get a top-three pick in 2014, where he gets a quarterback. Make a show out of firing Tannenbaum, Rex, Bradway, etc.

2. The coach should also be a veteran hand. A post-Rex locker room is going to be a mess, so bringing in a guy with pre-formed credibility will be important. I think the only guy crazy enough to take this job is Gruden. As to whether Gruden could get this team to play for him, or if he'd be able to work for Polian, is a coin flip. Another possibility would be Polian talking Dungy away from NBC, where he looks miserable. Under no circumstances should they retain Westhoff, who is a back-biter.

3. Do the Revis trade, get back the 2014 cap space, a first and a third, and move on. Dump Tebow, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Brandon Moore, Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight, Eric Smith, Ducasse, and Keller. Trumpet a new philosophy. Try to re-sign Landry and Harris, but don't get crazy on the numbers. Bring in the old veteran stopgap QB.

4. In the draft, trade down if possible.There isn't a ton of greatness at the top of this draft, anyway, so if someone wants your pick to get the DEs in this draft, take 2014 picks in return for your 2013s. Draft Tyler Eifert, draft a prospect at QB, load up on OL and LB.

5. Act with dignified derision anytime a reporter asks about the last four years. Make it clear that it was a blight on the blight-filled history of the Jets and will not be tolerated in the future. Give the impression that you're a first-class organization.

lol.....if it were this easy thats what every team would do with every pick they have at every draft. its not as if anyone goes into the draft saying "lets pick some crappy players"

its almost like saying

"how to get rich"

step 1: start succesful company

or

step 1: pick winning lottery numbers

Wrong. This FO has completely ignored WR and RB in the draft and the ones they have drafted have been multi year projects or guys with very low ceilings.

1. Hire Polian, hope you get the good Polian since he's starting from scratch. Let him gut the roster and get a top-three pick in 2014, where he gets a quarterback. Make a show out of firing Tannenbaum, Rex, Bradway, etc.

2. The coach should also be a veteran hand. A post-Rex locker room is going to be a mess, so bringing in a guy with pre-formed credibility will be important. I think the only guy crazy enough to take this job is Gruden. As to whether Gruden could get this team to play for him, or if he'd be able to work for Polian, is a coin flip. Another possibility would be Polian talking Dungy away from NBC, where he looks miserable. Under no circumstances should they retain Westhoff, who is a back-biter.

3. Do the Revis trade, get back the 2014 cap space, a first and a third, and move on. Dump Tebow, Bart Scott, Calvin Pace, Brandon Moore, Shonn Greene, Joe McKnight, Eric Smith, Ducasse, and Keller. Trumpet a new philosophy. Try to re-sign Landry and Harris, but don't get crazy on the numbers. Bring in the old veteran stopgap QB.

4. In the draft, trade down if possible.There isn't a ton of greatness at the top of this draft, anyway, so if someone wants your pick to get the DEs in this draft, take 2014 picks in return for your 2013s. Draft Tyler Eifert, draft a prospect at QB, load up on OL and LB.

5. Act with dignified derision anytime a reporter asks about the last four years. Make it clear that it was a blight on the blight-filled history of the Jets and will not be tolerated in the future. Give the impression that you're a first-class organization.

Polian and Dungy without Peyton Manning? And you think the current regime has no idea what they are doing.....

You cannot under any circumstances allow Tannenbaum to be in the organization. He's turned the entire place into an overly-political, back-biting, excuse-making, anonymous-sourcing, toxic septic tank of an organization. It'd be like moving J Edgar Hoover into the typing pool.

Polian and Dungy without Peyton Manning? And you think the current regime has no idea what they are doing.....

Polian and Dungy were both highly accomplished pre-Manning. Believe me, Dungy's sanctimonious bullsh*t makes me puke, but if he somehow props this club up for five years, I'd deal.

Polian and Dungy were both highly accomplished pre-Manning. Believe me, Dungy's sanctimonious bullsh*t makes me puke, but if he somehow props this club up for five years, I'd deal.

Enough with retreads. They need young, new. hungry guys. Do you really want Polian's incompetent son and Dungy, who was never a hard worker anyway, running the team? **** that.

Enough with retreads. They need young, new. hungry guys. Do you really want Polian's incompetent son and Dungy, who was never a hard worker anyway, running the team? **** that.

"Here, young, hungry guy who's supposedly highly sought-after, get in there and coach up Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. Also, the defense full of high-maintenance primadonnas is upset that we fired their sugar-daddies, but I'm sure you'll be ok with them. K? Good luck!"

idk if arians is really good or he just got lucky 3 times with the qb's he's coached.

Rothlisberger swore by him and is still throwing a hissy-fit over his release. Beyond that, he's coached the Colts into the playoffs this season after Paganp was forced to step away. He's also a career football guy going back to being a running backs coach under Bear Bryant. And he's hungry since he's never been a full-time HC. I say its more than just good luck. or good Luck. (see what I did there)

Rothlisberger swore by him and is still throwing a hissy-fit over his release. Beyond that, he's coached the Colts into the playoffs this season after Paganp was forced to step away. He's also a career football guy going back to being a running backs coach under Bear Bryant. And he's hungry since he's never been a full-time HC. I say its more than just good luck. or good Luck. (see what I did there)

we need to get a new gm in here also.

"Here, young, hungry guy who's supposedly highly sought-after, get in there and coach up Mark Sanchez, Santonio Holmes and Braylon Edwards. Also, the defense full of high-maintenance primadonnas is upset that we fired their sugar-daddies, but I'm sure you'll be ok with them. K? Good luck!"

That's why you clean house.

If there's one thing that Rex and Herm should have taught us, it's that career assistants are career assistants for a reason.

Id keep Revis...other than that Im fine with everything.

We could be a WC team next year if we get some dudes that can actually play on offense. We desperately need a back.

Same here except I'd keep Cro - we'll get 2x+ in trade for Revis and he's not 2x+ better than Cro. There also won't be yearly hold outs.

we need to get a new gm in here also.

agreed

I could throw out all the other moves and still be happy if I knew a new GM was going to come in here with a plan to make this team respectable again. Even if it took him three years to get us to a playoff. Tannenbaum has been a disaster and i've been on him since 2009 for being a fraud.

If there's one thing that Rex and Herm should have taught us, it's that career assistants are career assistants for a reason.

Your first mistake is allowing yourself to be taught by Rex and Herm. No one has learned anything of value from Rex and Herm.

Arians has actually been the De Facto HC for the Colts this year. Not a bad endorsement considering his record and playoff berth with a rookie QB and team that went 2-14 the previous year.

Besides, what head coach in the league hasn't been an assistant coach at some point?

It'd be like moving J Edgar Hoover into the typing pool.

Superb.

Step one is concede 2013. Step two is one voice. I mean, for god's sake, you can't have the coach running around talking about how he gets one pick a year to use on a fullback he liked on tape while scouting somebody else when just a year prior you had decided to pull the trigger on a quarterback because the same buffoon fell in love at the workout. This kind of sh*t doesn't happen in organizations where somebody's in charge and you know who it is.

I don't like the idea of DUngy. He is a sanctimonous dick who will not play well in this market. And as a HC he would be Herm Edwards II.

But the Jets haven't hired a guy with HC NFL experience since Parcells. From Groh through Ryan, we've had guys trying to establish themselves here. Not saying NFL HC experince is a must, but it should be a consdieration. We need someone with instant credibility to clean up the mess who is a known quality. Gruden is a chucklehead on tv but he would fit the bill if he wants to coach again.Arians might as well.

Tannenbaum and Bradway have to go. They will by their presence undermine any real GM. And I fear Johnson will keep both, call Tanny the CFO or VP of BS and Bradway chief scout.

1. Get rid of Tanny. Not sure who should be hired but somebody with an actual football background would be nice. NOt an accountant

2. Fire Sparano. Hire someone from a high powered offensive team. (Packers, Saints, Pats, etc) to call plays

3. Sign a vet Qb to be a start until we draft a qb in 2014 (Johnny Football). I perfer Moore or Hasselback. No Vick.

4. Draft OLB, OLinemen, RB, TE in draft. Resign Landry and Braylon. Keep Keller if he comes cheap

5. Tell Rex its playoffs or bust. If he doesnt make it next year hes fired. I still like him but his act is getting a bit old. Maybe this will light a fire under his ass

clean house/dump salaries.

I'd rather keep Revis than deal him but if it comes down it, make a move.

Get a stopgap quarterback, considering the entire offense is a mess and putting rookie in this situation doesn't seem likely to work out.

Go after OL and linebackers in the draft. Find Shane's Jason Witten clone.

Be horrible and then go after skill positions with the newly freed cap space and high draft picks in 2014.

Dungy is a terrible idea.

1. Fire Tanny, try, and replace him with the Ravens assistant GM, if that happens I think Rex stays, if it's another GM I keep Rex, but only if keeping him results in Petine signing a multi year extension as DC, so if Rex proves he still is an ass clown as a HC in 2013 we can still keep his D scheme that our D talent is built around.

2. Cut everyone who is not in the future plans NOW, take all the cap hits in 2013, season will be a wash, as for Rex don't judge on wins, and losses judge on player development, and management skills. This includes Sanchez, Holmes, Moore, Pouha, Pace, Scott, Smith, Smith, Devito, and maybe even D Harris, let Thomas, Keller, Greene, Braylon, Bell, all walk! Open the check book up for 2 players, sign Revis to an extension, and give Landry a 4 year contract.

3. Hire a OC with an open minded philosophy, that will tailor his offense around the talents he is given, for example the Seattle OC, if new GM sees fit to fire Rex he would be my 1st choice as HC, and hopefully be able to get a DC who can keep the 3/4, hybrid nickel D scheme around, and run it successfully. So obviously fire Schot... I mean Sparano.

4. 2013 is a planned wash, so every draft pick is BAP no taking a WR who might be their the following round, or someone who is ranked similar to him on your board if a DT, DE, CB is by far the highest ranked player on your board (see Jerry Reese, and JPP), and this includes round 1, IMO if L Joeckel is off the board, and a guy like Teo falls to you, and he is the highest ranked player on your board you take him even thou you need A LOT of help on offense. Draft a QB in round 3, or 4, maybe 2nd if you fall in love with a T Bray, Glennon, and their available.

5. Tank 2013, go 1-15, and if that mid round QB who you started all season, and built the offensive philosophy in 2013 stunk (were 1-15 he probably did) draft Johnny ****ing Football Manziel, and build a offense like they have in Wash. Carolina, and Seattle, and continue to draft SPEED all over the offensive skill positions to compliment Manziel. Use all extra cap space we have from taking all the dead cap hits in 2013, to sign 2 Established, Veteran, locker room leaders on the OL like we did with Faneca, and Woody, and a true young, and up, and coming speed WR like Wash did with Garçon, not overly expensive, but not cheap either. 2014 at this point should be a roster stacked with Speed on offense, 4 stud veteran OLmen, and 1 1st, or 2nd year starter from one of the drafts, and the defense will have talent still all over the field, and hopefully more speed at LB from the last 2 drafts, or one signed in FA in 2014, group that with Colpes, Wilk, Ellis, Harris (maybe), D Davis, Revis, Cro, Landry, and a drafted true center fielder ball hawk drafted in 2013 (preferably David Amerson in this years 2nd round from NC State). If QB from this years draft works out, then pretty much do the same thing we won't have a top 3 pick in this situation, but still will have a lot of cap space to continue to build around him.

In both scenarios from #5 I see the Jets being able to contend for a playoff spot, and make a serious run for the foreseeable future, even if the QB's don't work out, keep drafting 1 every year, maybe even 2 in some years until you find that QB, with the new CBA you can dump crappy highly drafted QB's quickly, and they don't kill your cap the way contracts did in the old CBA!

Archived