How many of Idzik's 12 2014 draft picks will live up to their expectations?

stoicsentry

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seriously? The poster boy for players Rex get away is Danny Woodhead. I don't even know who's second on that list. The problem here, for a very long time, isn't the talent that got away. It's the talent that never arrived.

Not to mention that for as much as citing Woodhead is supposed to make some major point, the bottom line ultimately is that the reason he was eventually cut was because he was an absolute disaster on special teams.  When you're that far down on the depth chart, that's kind of a pretty significant factor.  The most noteworthy contribution of his Jets' career was being one of the primary reasons the Jets' lost that 2009 game to the Dolphins.

Don't get me wrong, he obviously went on to have a much more successful career in his days after the Jets, but to act like he had really proven himself or that anyone thought nearly as high of him after over two years with the Jets is rather disingenuous.  It's nothing but a matter of hindsight regarding a career that he never would have had with the Jets, regardless of whether they kept him around or how much playing time they gave him.  Of course the Jets would have been better off had they kept him around, but that's still pretty far off from some of the conclusions trying to be drawn (about a move made by a prior GM no less).

there is a difference from someone in the deep throes of battered jets fan syndrome, and a "jets fan troll"

shane is the poster boy for BJFS, as is stoic and bugg

unbandickface is a troll.  or in need of some serious medication

Amaro will be a Pro Bowl TE a la Mike Ditka.

Pryor will be ok. Just ok. Like, Victor Green ok.

Dexter McDougle will be a future starter.

Just not sure if any of the receivers can play yet. Shaq Evans and Enunwa need a redshirt, and I just don't see how Saunders will survive in this league at that size.

We will always have my call in to the podcast.

with a draft like idzik had(12 picks), I think the hope is you find 1 immediate starter and 2 guys who can contribute. then 3 -4 guys who make the team, contribute in year 2-3 or take over a starting role. I have said before, althought idziks picks weren't the picks I would of made, I am not upset with any of them. I think what idzik did in the draft will meet the criteria stated above. looks like pryor will be a starter,amaro will be contributor #1,saunders will be contributor #2, while guys like dozier,enunwa,Dixon, and barnes are the guys who make the team and will contribute in a year or 2 with the hopes that 1 of them takes a starting position. I have a coupla gripes with the way idzik handled the offseason but the draft isn't really one of them(mostly)

amaro took a nice step forward last night.  he is a fluid athlete for a big dude.  he had a nice catch and run negated by a penalty. 

I think the total is up to at least 3 now, with dex an incomplete

btw, brandon dixon looks just like "the wizard" out there, remember him ?

and george may stick on the PS

to me, this draft was a depth and "competition" draft.  I think the plan is to build the jets from the basement up, so after you extend your quality veterans to big expensive deals, when you bring in your shiny expensive toys, you have a roster of cheap role players around them that can complement them

with that said, pryor looks like a star in the making. 

Yeah, because this is just what JN needed, an entirely new thread for you to carry on with your same tired, repetitive, insufferably clueless, incessant whining.

You're starting to make shasta seem like a solid contributor to the site.

is Shasta still here?

I think calvin pryor will live up to his expectations, I think mcdougle if we can keep him healthy next season has a good chance of exceeding expectiations, amaro who knows, the 3 wrs we drafted I don't have much faith in but who knows maby one of them will step up and pleasantly surprise us. IK looked sharp in preseason game 1 (idk about game two yet I don't get jets on my local cbs so I have to wait till tomorrow morning to watch it on the nfl network) and I really want to see Brandon Dixon play because I liked him at the scouting combine (although he is pretty raw he looked big strong and quickish for his size) but at the end of the day how many players drafted on any team could you expect to live up to their potential, some 1st rounders will play worse then undrafted free agents (kyle Wilson) some late rounders will be first ballot hall of famers (tom brady) draft is a crapshoot the scouts see little shreds of potential and base their drafts around that either way I don't think we had a bad draft and am excited for another season of football.

How many of Idzik's 12 2014 draft picks will live up to their expectations? Meaning, 6th rounder plays like a 6th rounder, 1st rounder plays like a 1st rounder, etc.

Of the 12, I'll say 3. A few of them are already out for the season, a few will be cut, and none (including Pryor and Amaro) have been even slightly impressive.

I think you should write an article about how YOU REALLY FEEL ABOUT IDZIK. and everybody will read it on the front page, I promise.

• 3 months later...

Amaro will be a Pro Bowl TE a la Mike Ditka.

Pryor will be ok. Just ok. Like, Victor Green ok.

Dexter McDougle will be a future starter.

Just not sure if any of the receivers can play yet. Shaq Evans and Enunwa need a redshirt, and I just don't see how Saunders will survive in this league at that size.

+1

#Aped

If Idzik doesn't have a QB by Week Six of the 2015 season, you can start the clock on him.

If Woody was smart (and that's a big assumption), he'd fire both Idzik and Rex.

Then, open up his silver-spooned checking account and hire away Ozzie Newsome from the Ravens and stay out of his way, including the hiring of the Jets next HC.

Ozzie is one of the best in the business and would have the Jets competitive in 2-3 years.

Then, open up his silver-spooned checking account and hire away Ozzie Newsome from the Ravens and stay out of his way, including the hiring of the Jets next HC.

Ozzie is one of the best in the business and would have the Jets competitive in 2-3 years.

Why the hell would Ozzie leave Baltimore?  The Rice scandal?

He's got a better shot at getting Belichick out of New England.

Archived