Jalen Saunders not sure what happened or when he can resume football activities

T0mShane

Jalen Saunders, Jets rookie WR, says his 'gut feeling' tells him medical incident won't jeopardize career

By Darryl Slater | The Star-Ledger

FLORHAM PARK – The medical incident that led to Jalen Saunders driving his car off a road near the Jets’ complex in Florham Park remains shrouded in questions, even after Saunders faced several of them from reporters Wednesday.

Speaking publicly for the first time since Friday morning scare, Saunders shed little light on what occurred while he drove to the Jets’ facility. He politely declined to answer most questions about the specifics of the event.

He did say he never lost consciousness. When first responders arrived at his vehicle, he was conscious and accepted medical treatment, according to Lt. Matthew Gatzke of the Florham Park police department.

Saunders, a rookie wide receiver, said he does not believe the incident stemmed from a preexisting medical condition. He said he had never experienced something like this before. He also said neurologists’ input would help determine when he can return to football activities.

But beyond that, Saunders offered few answers Wednesday – partly because, he said, he does not yet know a lot of them himself.

Saunders spent two nights in the hospital and underwent tests. He was released from the hospital Sunday morning. Saunders attended practice the past three days and watched from the sideline. After Wednesday's practice, he remained on the field and caught a few passes from rookie quarterback Tajh Boyd, while jogging through routes.

Saunders and coach Rex Ryan said they are not sure when they will receive information from doctors that could provide a timetable for Saunders being able to return to practice. He has already been ruled out of Friday night’s third preseason game, against the Giants – the second straight game he will miss. Saunders, a fourth-round draft pick out of Oklahoma, was listed as the Jets’ top punt returner.

“Obviously, it’s not going to be like, ‘Oh, he looks fine,’” Ryan said of the decision about Saunders returning to practice. “We’ll make darn sure this young man is OK, and then put him back out there.”

On Wednesday, Saunders said he was “feeling great and blessed,” but he remains uncertain about what exactly happened to him Friday.

“I’m not sure what it is,” Saunders said. “That’s why I got the tests done on me. I’m still waiting on information to get back from the team doctors. So whenever I figure out what is going on with my body, I’ll be happy to share what’s going on.”

He declined to discuss how he felt Friday during the medical event, or if his car was moving when it happened.

“Because I’m not trying to re-live that moment again,” he said. “It was something that was unusual. That wasn’t a part of me. It’s very shocking. Obviously you don’t want to be at a young age going through something like that. It was a shocking situation, very unusual, but I’m alive and happy.”

Saunders said he is unsure if doctors believe there are long-term concerns about his health, or if they think this incident could occur again.

“Whenever I find out what fully is going on, they’ll fully make me understand what’s going on with my body,” he said, insisting doctors have not told him a lot about his situation, or the cause of the incident. “I don’t know too much, so I really can’t sit here and tell you what’s going on if I don’t know anything.”

Saunders said he expects to “be back on the field shortly,” and that he is “not concerned at all” about his football career being jeopardized.

“I still have a bright future ahead of me,” he said.

But he acknowledged this certainty comes only from him, and is not based on anything he has heard from doctors.

“That’s my gut feeling,” he said. “I’ve got God by my side, so that’s all that matters.”

He probably sh*t himself.  On his way to work, he leaned to the side to let out some gas and splat.  The only way to avoid ridicule from his teammates was to drive off the road, park in front of a tree and wait for someone to come to his assistance, whereby he played amnesia.  

I'm not saying I've done it.  But I'm not saying I haven't.  

He probably sh*t himself.  On his way to work, he leaned to the side to let out some gas and splat.  The only way to avoid ridicule from his teammates was to drive off the road, park in front of a tree and wait for someone to come to his assistance, whereby he played amnesia.  

I'm not saying I've done it.  But I'm not saying I haven't.  

fc,550x550,silver.jpg

He probably sh*t himself. On his way to work, he leaned to the side to let out some gas and splat. The only way to avoid ridicule from his teammates was to drive off the road, park in front of a tree and wait for someone to come to his assistance, whereby he played amnesia.

I'm not saying I've done it. But I'm not saying I haven't.

LOL

He probably sh*t himself. On his way to work, he leaned to the side to let out some gas and splat. The only way to avoid ridicule from his teammates was to drive off the road, park in front of a tree and wait for someone to come to his assistance, whereby he played amnesia.

Can't rep from my phone. LOL

Dying over here...

I'm good for 2 a year.

Archived