MM says no question Geno Smith can be a fine NFL QB

joewilly12

Geno has the physical gifts to excel as an NFL QB, but he currently lacks the mental fortitude. If he can mature as a leader, and not let every personal set back snowball into disaster, he can become a fine QB. But that's asking a lot. I don't know if he has that in him or not. Right now, he doesn't. It's okay to be mad at yourself when you throw a pick but, by the time you get to the sidelines, you have to let it go. Regroup, and let your offensive teammates know you're gonna get 'em next time - not sulk in a corner by yourself. 

I suspect he's gonna see some time as a backup the next couple years. Perhaps he can watch and learn and grow. I don't think he's learning anything by continuing to start. I think he's just solidifying his bad habits. 

Here is an archived profile from before his draft:  pretty solid evaluation.  Geno will make a good pro just needs more time to develop with a ceiling near Charlie Batch.  If we had a decent development staff we might have brought the good out of him while limiting his negatives.  Unfortunately we threw him into the fire before he was ready and his growth is most likely stunted at this point.  

Geno Smith   QB   West Virginia

TALENT BOARD ROUND  3

STRENGTHS

Geno Smith has a lot of talent to work with for the NFL level. He has a strong arm and does a good job throwing from the pocket.  His work ethic is excellent and when Geno is in rhythm throwing the ball down the field, he is as dangerous and accurate as any quarterback coming out in the draft in recent years.  He shows solid accuracy and velocity when throwing deep down the field.  Geno has the size needed to play the quarterback position at the next level. There is no doubt that Geno has the developmental potential to be an excellent player for the team that drafts him.   

CONCERNS

There are a ton of concerns for me with Geno's overall game.  His mechanics are erratic, but that is not unusual for a QB coming out of college.  He is always in the shotgun, so proving to scouts and coaches at the NFL level that he can pass in rhythm and accurately under duress from 3-step, 5-step and 7-steps drops is a big concern. In the film I've reviewed, Geno does not throw well on the run, does not move well in the pocket and does not show the ability to extend plays. He is not confident in his own ability to lead when he struggles throwing the ball.  Geno doesn't read defenses very well at all, which is a big problem.  His football intelligence at this point of his career is not as mature as you would like to see when coming out in a draft. The only type of offensive system I see him being successful in is a play action vertical game with plenty of protection.  All of these issues can be overcome with a good work ethic which Geno seems to have in abundance.  The real question mark is his leadership skill.  He must learn to accept his own limitations and turn the page after interceptions, blown assignments and adversity during a game have occurred.  Geno has a long way to go to bring his overall game up to the NFL level, but he definitely does have the talent and work ethic.

BOTTOM LINE

Football intelligence has to do with making decisions and bringing what you are taught in practice and the film room to the field during a game as well as performing well under adversity.  Currently, Geno lacks that more than anything else, which doesn't mean that Geno is not smart or lacks a good work ethic. It just means that Geno lacks a football maturity right now that he needs to be successful at the next level. When things are going well, this, of course, is not a problem.  However, as soon as he doesn't see what he saw in the film room while playing on the field, Geno panics emotionally.  Some of this is because Geno is a young QB and some of this is his make-up in general. He will struggle to overcome these feelings of panic on the field until he gets the needed repetitions.  Geno reminds me a lot of Charlie Batch with a stronger arm. You can see the talent when Geno plays and you will marvel at the games on film that he has dominated, but when he struggles, Geno really struggles and never seems to be able to get himself back on track until the game is out of reach.  He struggles to go quickly to his check downs because he seems to be looking for the big play on every play.  This is because he struggles to read defenses.  He is not accurate when throwing to his check downs because he knows in most cases he is too late.  If Geno is drafted too high and is not allowed to sit and learn and mature, I'm not sure his excellent work ethic will be enough to overcome the pressure of carrying a team as a starting quarterback in the NFL.  Geno can be an excellent back-up quarterback with the potential to win 2 out of 4 games when your starting QB is out.  In the future, he has the potential to be a starting QB in the right system for the team that drafts him.  I think teams with a transient coaching situation would be taking a big chance drafting Geno as a future franchise QB.  Teams that have a solid coaching staff and do not need to put Geno on the field right away would be a better fit for Geno to give him a better chance at a longer career.  In the offensive system that the 49er's are using, I can see Geno being very effective.  He works well from the shotgun and a spread offense would seem to fit him well, but his lack of football ability to read defenses and lack of decision making skills would be a big problem for him at the next level in that type of system. In short, he is a senior who is not ready for the NFL, but does have a bright future there.

Drew "The B.S. Detector" Boylhart 

Dec/2012

http://www.thehuddlereport.com/archive/2013profiles/Geno.Smith.htm

geno stinks, everyone knows it, but MM can't really say anything else when they are rolling him out there again tonight.

it's going to be ugly boys... real ugly.

It's already gone waaaaay past ugly, jgb.  We're now in the realm of the cluster fuk.

I just can't wait until our part of the NFL season is over.  It'll be fun to watch the playoffs, then the mass firings over at Florham Park, and the hiring of a new GM and HC.  Next year should be a breath of fresh air for all of us Jet fans.

Geno sucks but I really don't see the point in getting rid of him in favor of signing another scrub journeyman like Jake Locker or Matt Schaub or, even worse, giving a big contract to someone overrated like Hoyer.  Draft a qb in round 1 and let Geno be the veteran who starts a couple games and if Geno continues to suck put in the 1st round pick whoever it is.

As bad as Geno has been this year he's had some pretty good games against the Pats and Packers.  He's dirt cheap and has 2 years left on the rookie contract.  I'd rather have that and whoever our 1st round pick qb is than waste $5 mil in cap room on Jake friggin Locker or give Brian Hoyer a 4 year deal.

It's already gone waaaaay past ugly, jgb.  We're now in the realm of the cluster fuk.

I just can't wait until our part of the NFL season is over.  It'll be fun to watch the playoffs, then the mass firings over at Florham Park, and the hiring of a new GM and HC.  Next year should be a breath of fresh air for all of us Jet fans.

i have given up hope that woody has the stomach to clean house. when/if it happens it will be a pleasant surprise.

Geno sucks but I really don't see the point in getting rid of him in favor of signing another scrub journeyman like Jake Locker or Matt Schaub or, even worse, giving a big contract to someone overrated like Hoyer.  Draft a qb in round 1 and let Geno be the veteran who starts a couple games and if Geno continues to suck put in the 1st round pick whoever it is.

As bad as Geno has been this year he's had some pretty good games against the Pats and Packers.  He's dirt cheap and has 2 years left on the rookie contract.  I'd rather have that and whoever our 1st round pick qb is than waste $5 mil in cap room on Jake friggin Locker or give Brian Hoyer a 4 year deal.

impossible to preach a mantra of competition when you are rolling with geno. he's done here.

The firings -and I hope they're mass- will take place before any of the post season teams get to practice for their playoff games. :)

Jets need a veteran QB capable of starting if/when the rookie they pickup needs time on the bench. Geno is not a capable starter. I'd bring him into training camp and let him compete, but I wouldn't guarantee him anything, and I'd be a little surprised if he made the team.

i have given up hope that woody has the stomach to clean house. when/if it happens it will be a pleasant surprise.

impossible to preach a mantra of competition when you are rolling with geno. he's done here.

So if we bring in a scrub like Jake Locker or Matt Moore we're all of a sudden bringing the "Patriot Way" to Florham Park?

The firings -and I hope they're mass- will take place before any of the post season teams get to practice for their playoff games. :)

Jets need a veteran QB capable of starting if/when the rookie they pickup needs time on the bench. Geno is not a capable starter. I'd bring him into training camp and let him compete, but I wouldn't guarantee him anything, and I'd be a little surprised if he made the team.

But none of the names I'm hearing the fanboys propose are actually better than Geno.  And I don't think Geno is good but if you're going to tell me RG3, Matt Moore, Matt Schaub or Jake Locker are the answer I'm sorry that's garbage.  Those guys are just as bad if not worse and will waste at least $2-3 million in cap room.

RG3 right now wouldn't beat out Matt Simms in a TC competition.  He is beyond horrible.

So if we bring in a scrub like Jake Locker or Matt Moore we're all of a sudden bringing the "Patriot Way" to Florham Park?

dont understand the connection in your reference but if we expect geno smith to show a rookie qb the ropes and mentor him we are better off going DLine in the first round of the draft

dont understand the connection in your reference but if we expect geno smith to show a rookie qb the ropes and mentor him we are better off going DLine in the first round of the draft

I'll never understand this asinine logic by Jets fans that we need to bring in Jake Locker or Matt Schaub to be a qb coach for whoever the draft pick will be.  It's the qb coach's job to coach the pick not Jakey Jake Locker's.

At JI people were gushing over the Vick signing saying he'd be a good role model for Geno.  Yeah that worked out great.

But none of the names I'm hearing the fanboys propose are actually better than Geno.  And I don't think Geno is good but if you're going to tell me RG3, Matt Moore, Matt Schaub or Jake Locker are the answer I'm sorry that's garbage.  Those guys are just as bad if not worse and will waste at least $2-3 million in cap room.

RG3 right now wouldn't beat out Matt Simms in a TC competition.

first of all everyone on that list is better than geno. he is the worst qb in the league according to statistics and the eye test. i would take any of those guys as a seatwarmer for a rookie qb over geno smith.

second of all, rolling with geno smith next year is a great way to ensure our next HC is looking for a job himself within 18 months.

first of all everyone on that list is better than geno. he is the worst qb in the league according to statistics and the eye test. i would take any of those guys as a seatwarmer for a rookie qb over geno smith.

second of all, rolling with geno smith next year is a great way to ensure our next HC is looking for a job himself within 18 months.

You obvious haven't watched RG3 play since 2012 or watched Jake Locker play against anyone else besides the Jets.  Those guys are terrible.

I'll never understand this asinine logic by Jets fans that we need to bring in Jake Locker or Matt Schaub to be a qb coach for whoever the draft pick will be.  It's the qb coach's job to coach the pick not Jakey Jake Locker's.

At JI people were gushing over the Vick signing saying he'd be a good role model for Geno.  Yeah that worked out great.

Jesus Christ with Brett Favre's arm, Randall Cunningham's speed, Ryan Fitzpatrick's IQ, and Tim Tebow's drinking and partying habits couldn't provide a role model to Geno Smith. The guy is a moron. Not saying that in a mean way--he is a simpleton. Mr. Ed could tell time. And he was a HORSE.

You obvious haven't watched RG3 play since 2012 or watched Jake Locker play against anyone else besides the Jets.  Those guys are terrible.

you obviously have already formed your obvious opinion, obviously. that's cool.

Jesus Christ with Brett Favre's arm, Randall Cunningham's speed, Ryan Fitzpatrick's IQ, and Tim Tebow's drinking and partying habits couldn't provide a role model to Geno Smith. The guy is a moron. Not saying that in a mean way--he is a simpleton.

I'm not saying Geno's good.  I'm just saying all the scrubs available in FA next season you think are so much better suck just as bad.

All Jake Locker or Matt Schaub are going to amount to is the same thing as Mike Vick - a $5million waste of cap space sitting on the bench while Winston or Mariota are starting by week 3.  I'd rather just use that cap space to fill the umpteen holes misunderstood genius Idzik left in the roster.

RG3 right now wouldn't beat out Matt Simms in a TC competition.  He is beyond horrible.

I get that the names aren't particularly attractive, although I'd pretty happily take Moore or Locker over Geno. Geno has been a nightmare of proportions that Jet fans are now nostalgic over the Mark Sanchez era. If your Plan B at QB is Geno Smith, you're not prepared. And If Idzik goes the way of Rex after the season, there won't be anyone in the building advocating for Geno, anyway.

I appreciate your desire to save a couple cap dollars, but QB isn't the place to settle for bargains.

I'm not saying Geno's good.  I'm just saying all the scrubs available in FA next season you think are so much better suck just as bad.

All Jake Locker or Matt Schaub are going to amount to is the same thing as Mike Vick - a $5million waste of cap space sitting on the bench while Winston or Mariota are starting by week 3.

no one sucks as bad. those guys aren't delivering us rings but someone has to start. we need a sacrificial lamb so QB OF THE FUTURE isn't thrown in week 1.

rolling with geno again can't happen two reasons: (1) idzik isn't fired--after getting a reprieve from the geno mistake, he ain't going back there again; (2) new GM who will bring in someone new so he never has Geno-stink on his resume.

Archived