Up to date DRAFT ORDER

Morrissey

Has any team ever traded away the #1 overall pick? I sort of recall it happening but I don't think so.

Well for starters, the Jets did it (Parcells, 1997). Chart-wise, it was probably the worst pick(s)-for-pick(s) trade value any team's gotten in return since GMs started using it.

The Chargers sort of did and sort of didn't. They traded the #1 pick away after drafting Eli with it. Technically they traded a player's rights (since Eli wasn't yet signed) rather than a pick or a player, but it's a distinction without a difference.

I remember it being reported that San Fran badly wanted to trade down in 2005 (Alex Smith) but they didn't get any takers. It wasn't that they weren't offered enough (or that wasn't the only reason). Rather, it was that no one wanted to guarantee Smith or Rodgers (or anyone from that class) $20M. The cap limit was only like $85M back then and was less flexible than today. But even if anyone was willing to move up to #1 and pay it, certainly no one was willing to give up anywhere near the requisite chart value for the privilege.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has any team ever traded away the #1 overall pick? I sort of recall it happening but I don't think so.

Several times, Before making the pick:

Panthers to Cincy in '95

Jets to Rams in '97

Chargers to Falcons in '01

Just off the top of my head

The Chargers sort of did and sort of didn't. They traded the #1 pick away after drafting Eli with it. Technically they traded a player's rights (since Eli wasn't yet signed) rather than a pick or a player, but it's a distinction without a difference.

Okay, that was the Rivers for Manning #4 for #1 exchange because Eli refused to play for SD.

That's proof it's possible to finagle the #1 pick from a team that intends to use it.

I wonder if Mariota has any desire to play for the Jets ...

This noise about a 1st round WR is absurd. Thats a Kotite type move. Harvin is a proven game changer, Cooper would be a gamble like any other draft pick.

Its all about the QB. You could have Rice Moss and Harrison on this team and they wouldnt have great numbers with this schlep QB.

With a good QB Harvin Decker Kerley would be fine.

Yes but Tampa Bay and Tennessee are still in front of Jets which means no Mariota (TB) or Winston (Tenn). So what's all the fuss about? I still say take the top OT on the board and take a QB in second round and get a guy in here who knows how to develop him. Plenty of good QB prospects in this draft. Also, I posted a column written by Manish Mahta which precisely spells out how Jets can get out of this mess.

i wouldn't have  a big issue with it IF its a cant miss prospect AND we have a plan for improving our WR's elsewhere...otherwise i want Cooper.

Cooper drops a lot of passes and his footwork on the sidelines needs work with getting both feet down. He is a prospect for sure with upside, but Jets can't protect the QB and that is mission number one. No matter WHO the QB is.

This noise about a 1st round WR is absurd. Thats a Kotite type move. Harvin is a proven game changer, Cooper would be a gamble like any other draft pick.

Its all about the QB. You could have Rice Moss and Harrison on this team and they wouldnt have great numbers with this schlep QB.

Percy Harvin = Dumbtonio 2

Decker and Cooper can make any qb look good. It's a WR league as much as it is a qb league now.

Not one of those guys can take the top off a defense, Kerley is a average slot guy, Decker is a very good possession WR, Harvin is your over paid screen pass, end around playmaker. This offense needs a stud WR that can go take a post, or a 9 route to the house in double coverage, a guy who you can throw a back sholder, over the top option route, and a guy who can go up, and get fades in the endzone, and Cooper is that guy, he is this year's ODB.

If we draft at #4 or higher, and select a DEFENSIVE player........no.  Just no.

I appreciate CB is a need right now, and out top 2 guys unknown for 2015 (and those behind them worthless generally).

I don't care.

Offense this draft, strongly, or get the **** out.

I cannot tolerate another 32rd ranked can't score worst-in-NFL passing offense in 2015, I just can't.

Percy Harvin = Dumbtonio 2

Decker and Cooper can make any qb look good. It's a WR league as much as it is a qb league now.

So it is your position that with Decker and (an unproven) Cooper, Geno will be just  fine? Really? Wide receiver league? 

BTW Percy Harvin is 10X the player Holmes ever was and a better bet right now than Cooper

Not one of those guys can take the top off a defense, Kerley is a average slot guy, Decker is a very good possession WR, Harvin is your over paid screen pass, end around playmaker. This offense needs a stud WR that can go take a post, or a 9 route to the house in double coverage, a guy who you can throw a back sholder, over the top option route, and a guy who can go up, and get fades in the endzone, and Cooper is that guy, he is this year's ODB.

I said it before. Drafting a wideout when you have no QB is a Kotite move.

I appreciate CB is a need right now, and out top 2 guys unknown for 2015 (and those behind them worthless generally).

I don't care.

I cannot tolerate another 32rd ranked can't score worst-in-NFL passing offense in 2015, I just can't.

I hear you, but it depends on the player/players. In 1981 the Giants also needed offense, but I don't think they regretted taking LT and not Freeman McNeil.

Only if Rex somehow slips the noose. If he does I say bye-bye after 46 years of mostly bad football.

what does rex have to do with the jets selecting an olb in the first? it still is a premium position of need and if said player is best player available, so be it

I don't care.

what if mariota,cooper, and the top left tackle are off the board when the jets pick? you don't reach here, you take the best player available,even if it is a defensive player

what does rex have to do with the jets selecting an olb in the first? it still is a premium position of need and if said player is best player available, so be it

If Rex stays (or the 3-4 is kept) and Gregory is there and Cooper is not, OLB would be just as big of a need as OT and there is no other CB worth taking that high.

So the Giants really screwed up taking  Beckham in the 1st? The Falcons screwed up with Julio?  

So it is your position that with Decker and (an unproven) Cooper, Geno will be just  fine? Really? Wide receiver league? 

BTW Percy Harvin is 10X the player Holmes ever was and a better bet right now than Cooper

Harvin is 10x the player? Did you watch santonio Holmes from 2007-2010 the guy was a stud during those years. Harvin has similar personality disorder, is always hurt, has an insane contract I think he's the third highest paid wr in the nfl and says he won't give the jets a discount on a restructure.

I want nothing to do with Harvin after this season unless he changes his mind and takes a massive pay cut which he won't.

Oh and not drafting mariota or Winston does not equal geno starting next year.

If Rex stays (or the 3-4 is kept) and Gregory is there and Cooper is not, OLB would be just as big of a need as OT and there is no other CB worth taking that high.

I thought Idzik was doing the smart thing getting us $90 mil under the cap to extend Wilkerson. If that's the case olb is not a need not that I think we should draft on need anyway.

Raiders win! hooray! Jets currently sitting 4th. 

Jets wish list:

1) Mariota

2) Winston

3) A Cooper

4) L Collins ?

5) R Gregory / S Ray ?

6) B Scherff ? 

there's only 2 QB's worth taking in the first 2 days and they're gonna go 1 and 2. so lets cross that off the list. then we're looking hopefully at Amari, Randy Gregory/Shane Ray, Landon Collins or an O-lineman in the 1st round. is it crazy to pair Collins with Pryor and solidify the back end? or is it too crowded back there--Pryor/A Allen/J Jarrett/Landry. really hope we are taking a good look at Cooper though, kid is a stud. Harvin or no Harvin I think he's gotta be the guy round 1

We just f-cked ourselves taking a slow safety over Brandon cooks and jets fans now want to pass on Cooper? Lol

Yeah, they do it so they can form a "Fire (insert New Gm Name here)" Signs for next year. Idzik is losing his job because he didn't get us an elite WR in this year's draft. Saving cap space was fine, but he lost most of us because of his draft style and passing up on the 10 really good WR prospects in this past draft and instead taking slow footed Safety in the 1st and a slow footed TE in the 2nd. Leaving guys like Bryant for the Steelers/Landry for the Fish/Matthews for the Eagles etc....

I know  most of the moronic "Fire Idzik" people are upset we didn't blow our cap space on guys like DRC so we could finish 6-10 instead of 4-12. But Idzik lost "rational" Jets fans with his failure to address our WR needs early in a draft stocked with WR talent. Instead he waited until the mid rounds to waste a bunch of picks on spec guys who wouldn't be able to help us this year. 

Yeah, they do it so they can form a "Fire (insert New Gm Name here)" Signs for next year. Idzik is losing his job because he didn't get us an elite WR in this year's draft. Saving cap space was fine, but he lost most of us because of his draft style and passing up on the 10 really good WR prospects in this past draft and instead taking slow footed Safety in the 1st and a slow footed TE in the 2nd. Leaving guys like Bryant for the Steelers/Landry for the Fish/Matthews for the Eagles etc....

I know  most of the moronic "Fire Idzik" people are upset we didn't blow our cap space on guys like DRC so we could finish 6-10 instead of 4-12. But Idzik lost "rational" Jets fans with his failure to address our WR needs early in a draft stocked with WR talent. Instead he waited until the mid rounds to waste a bunch of picks on spec guys who wouldn't be able to help us this year. 

let me take a wild guess here. you are one of these "self proclaimed" rational jets fans,huh. everybody else is a novice. gotcha. I will bet you were really excited when idzik drafted pryor.lol

Archived