Suddenly we DO lack talent?

DaBallhawk

All season Rex kept saying the team doesn't lack talent and whatnot. Now that he's a goner suddenly he points at how this team lacks talent...Hmm.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/28/sports/what-the-jets-need-simply-is-talent.html

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. — Rex Ryan was asked the other day what his team needs to perform better in 2015. “It’s obvious what it needs,” Ryan said, “but I’m not going to get into it.”

Perhaps Ryan had a meeting in 20 minutes, and he did not want to be late. It might have taken that long to expound on as candid an assessment of the Jets’ roster as he has offered all season.

In 13 words, Ryan seemed to acknowledge what he has not publicly recognized at any point during the last few years of a term nearing an inglorious end — that the Jets lacked sufficient talent.

The Jets are in this position — at 3-12 heading into Sunday’s finale at Miami — because they have not learned from their mistakes. They entered last off-season needing to upgrade at quarterback and cornerback, and in part because they did not, Ryan and General Manager John Idzik are expected to lose their jobs. The owner, Woody Johnson, would not have arranged for a former longtime general manager, Charley Casserly, to serve as a consultant unless major changes were afoot. “There should be a lot of time spent looking back on the past and looking back on the tenure of Rex Ryan and John Idzik together and going, Where are we?” Louis Riddick, the former director of pro personnel for the Philadelphia Eagles and now an analyst for ESPN, said in a recent interview. “What have we been doing? What’s the plan? And what’s the plan now?”

The answer to that last question depends on whose plan it is. The general manager, whoever it is, will have at least $40 million in salary-cap space and a high draft pick. But he must also sort out a quarterback situation that has bedeviled the franchise for decades; determine how to proceed with receiver Percy Harvin, who diversified the Jets’ offense after an October trade with Seattle but is owed a prohibitive $10.5 million next season; and strengthen, at the least, the offensive line, the pass rush, the receiving depth and the cornerback corps.

It is just the Jets’ luck that they could finish with their worst record since 1996 and yet they still might not have a chance to draft either of the quarterbacks viewed as the best available. Regardless of Sunday’s result, the Jets will pick no worse than sixth and no better than third. Marcus Mariota of Oregon and Jameis Winston of Florida State could very well be gone by then, especially with the quarterback-needy teams Tampa Bay and Tennessee locked into the top two slots. Barring a trade, then, the Jets will have to look elsewhere to find competition for Geno Smith, who in contrast to this season will have to earn whatever role he has in 2015. One possibility could be drafting a quarterback in the second or third round to push Smith, and then finding either a veteran from a thin free-agent class — Shaun Hill? Brian Hoyer? Colt McCoy? — or, if Chicago decides to deal him, try to acquire Jay Cutler.

The quarterback mess presents a conundrum, but so does determining what to do with Harvin, who has everything the Jets need — speed, versatility, talent — yet comes with an onerous salary-cap charge and a history of injuries. Harvin has expressed a desire to return, and the Jets could accommodate that request if he is willing to take a pay cut (unlikely) or re-sign after testing free agency.

Many of the top free-agent receivers — Dez Bryant (Dallas), Demaryius Thomas (Denver), Randall Cobb (Green Bay) — do not seem inclined to leave their current teams, but the Jets could do worse than making a play for Torrey Smith, a downfield threat who thrived for the Ravens. Should the Jets not wind up taking a quarterback with their first pick, Amari Cooper of Alabama, if available, could be an option.

The proliferation of passing offenses has placed a premium on great cornerbacks as much as great quarterbacks, and the teams that consistently win have at least one. The Jets have neither. Dee Milliner (Achilles’ tendon) and Dexter McDougle (knee) are scheduled to return at full strength from their season-ending injuries, but the Jets are highly likely to chase better, more established cornerbacks in free agency. Among the possible candidates are Chris Culliver (San Francisco), Brandon Flowers (San Diego), Kareem Jackson (Houston) and Byron Maxwell (Seattle).

The Jets will have the salary-cap flexibility to add reinforcements at guard and safety, particularly if they decline to re-sign Willie Colon and Dawan Landry, while rewarding some of their own players. Middle linebacker David Harris highlights the list of the Jets’ unrestricted free agents, but their priority should be awarding a new contract to the star defensive lineman Muhammad Wilkerson, who has outplayed his rookie deal. If the recent extensions for J. J. Watt and Robert Quinn are any guide, Wilkerson should command a deal worth more than $13 million per season. Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson anchor one of the best defensive lines in the league, but they could benefit from the presence of a strong edge pass rusher. That player was once Quinton Coples, the Jets’ first-round pick in 2012, but he has yet to blossom.

“Aside from cornerback, that’s the other missing component to this defense and has been the missing component to this defense,” the former N.F.L. offensive lineman Brian Baldinger, now an analyst on NFL Network, said in a telephone interview. Ryan knows this, just as he knew his team needed a better quarterback and better cornerbacks, and now all this figures to be someone else’s problem to solve.

This has always been one of the more empty complaints about Rex. He's a loyal guy. He's loyal to his employer and his players. He talks them up because he's boastful and generally positive. And if that's your complaint about him, fine. I get that some people don't like his personality. But the man knows he's not working with much in the way of talent, and hasn't for quite some time.

yea, no comment would go over great

How about saying lots of things didn't go the way we wanted, but in the end we didn't get the job done. And leave it at that. Any follow-up questions, reply with there's nothing more to say, and how much he's loved it here, and thank Woody for the opportunity, blah blah blah.

There's nothing a 3-11 coach can say that's going to go over well. So say as close to nothing as possible. JMO.

This has always been one of the more empty complaints about Rex. He's a loyal guy. He's loyal to his employer and his players. He talks them up because he's boastful and generally positive. And if that's your complaint about him, fine. I get that some people don't like his personality. But the man knows he's not working with much in the way of talent, and hasn't for quite some time.

this. The guy (publicly at least) is very loyal and positive just his personality, yes he blows smoke up our collective asses as do almost all public figures. He just does it more positive than most

What else can he say?

How about the same thing he kept saying every week for the entire year now? That we don't lack talent, that we have the players to win etc. He's just full of sh*t. Throwing the players under the bus now that he's gone instead of having their back. I guarantee you if they awarded him with an extension he would have said the exact opposite, the same thing he's been saying all year. Now that he's a goner he needs a scapegoat. What a flip flop.

And HE is partially to blame for the lack of talent.  He and his coaching staff have been completely inept at developing ANY players properly.  He had humongous input on all 1st round draft picks (He fell in love with Sanchez after viewing him on a high school field in California with Tannenbaum and pushed to trade up for him), and he obviously had a lot of contor over the other round 1 defensive picks.  In fact, he had so much control in round 1, that after Snchez, we never drafted an offensive player again in round 1.  He certainly had say in acquiring the Baltimore castoffs. 

I really an surprised that so many people completely blame the personnel issues on the two bad GMs.  Rex had tremendous input and control under both GMs.  And he flat out sucks at it.  Good riddance.  Love the guy, but he should never be allowed even the slightest bit of say/control over personnel by any other team again.  

How about the same thing he kept saying every week for the entire year now? That we don't lack talent, that we have the players to win etc. He's just full of sh*t. Throwing the players under the bus now that he's gone instead of having their back. I guarantee you if they awarded him with an extension he would have said the exact opposite, the same thing he's been saying all year. Now that he's a goner he needs a scapegoat. What a flip flop.

Here's the whole quote:

“It’s obvious what it needs,” Ryan said, “but I’m not going to get into it.”

He didn't throw anyone under any bus. He didn't name any names, or even a general reason. He just said the reason was obvious, and the writer of the article went into how Rex doesn't have any talent to work with. And you, in turn, are complaining about him blaming the talent - which he didn't actually do. Why? Because it is obvious the Jets lack talent everywhere.

Here's the whole quote:

He didn't throw anyone under any bus. He didn't name any names, or even a general reason. He just said the reason was obvious, and the writer of the article went into how Rex doesn't have any talent to work with. And you, in turn, are complaining about him blaming the talent - which he didn't actually do. Why? Because it is obvious the Jets lack talent everywhere.

Wow, talk about being in denial. Use some common sense...

And HE is partially to blame for the lack of talent. He and his coaching staff have been completely inept at developing ANY players properly. He had humongous input on all 1st round draft picks (He fell in love with Sanchez after viewing him on a high school field in California with Tannenbaum and pushed to trade up for him), and he obviously had a lot of contor over the other round 1 defensive picks. In fact, he had so much control in round 1, that after Snchez, we never drafted an offensive player again in round 1. He certainly had say in acquiring the Baltimore castoffs.

I really an surprised that so many people completely blame the personnel issues on the two bad GMs. Rex had tremendous input and control under both GMs. And he flat out sucks at it. Good riddance. Love the guy, but he should never be allowed even the slightest bit of say/control over personnel by any other team again.

I agree wholeheartedly with the bold. That's why pairing him with a pair of GM-wannabe accountants has been disastrous. I think the failure to develop talent complaint is less valid than the failure to have any talent to work with in the first place argument. Richard Sherman didn't develop out of nothing, he was found by savvy personnel people.

Under a strong and talented GM, I believe Rex could thrive. I don't think the Jets have ever had such an executive.

Wow, talk about being in denial. Use some common sense...

Sorry, I just read the quote. Rex said what the team lacked was obvious. Somehow the writer (and you) jumped right to believing he meant talent.

Here's the whole quote:

Not at center or on the DL.

I agree wholeheartedly with the bold. That's why pairing him with a pair of GM-wannabe accountants has been disastrous. I think the failure to develop talent complaint is less valid than the failure to have any talent to work with in the first place argument. Richard Sherman didn't develop out of nothing, he was found by savvy personnel people.

Under a strong and talented GM, I believe Rex could thrive. I don't think the Jets have ever had such an executive.

I don't think Rex had the strong control some believe otherwise Stephen Hill would never been a Jet Rex didn't want him..

Sorry, I just read the quote. Rex said what the team lacked was obvious. Somehow the writer (and you) jumped right to believing he meant talent.

Again, you're in denial. Any person with some sort of common sense would realize he's referring to our roster. If you think he's blaming the socks we wore, the weather or Woody Johnson's hat, then go ahead.

I don't think Rex had the strong control some believe otherwise Stephen Hill would never been a Jet Rex didn't want him..

He had tremendous say in round 1.  It's obvious that both GMs deferred to him.  How else do you explain zero offense being drafted in round 1 after Rex's 1st season where Rex was the one enamored with Sanchez?  He had tremendous say in FA pickups.  Look at the drek at WR he brought in from Baltimore instead of Brayln (a washed up Mason).  He brought in a decent Bart Scott but hung on way too long.. until he was utterly useless out there.  There were many others.

You've been in denial for years about Rex's incompetence in personnel, instead always denying that he had the tremendous input that Woody and both GMs afforded him.  

Well at least there is no denying his disorganized, sloppy and sometimes incoherent sidelines persona on game days and his complete incompetence in game day preparation.  Finally, hows Rex skills at making halftime adjustments?  Please.  Enough defense of this mistake. It's sickening.

He had tremendous say in round 1.  It's obvious that both GMs deferred to him.  How else do you explain zero offense being drafted in round 1 after Rex's 1st season where Rex was the one enamored with Sanchez?  He had tremendous say in FA pickups.  Look at the drek at WR he brought in from Baltimore instead of Brayln (a washed up Mason).  He brought in a decent Bart Scott but hung on way too long.. until he was utterly useless out there.  

You've been in denial for years about Rex's incompetence in personnel, instead always denying that he had tremendous input.  

Both BB and Parcells drafted a lot of D and they were picking the players.. What always made me laugh was the fans that said; That idiot Rex took a player that doesn't even fit his system.. When Sheldon turned out fine it became great pick by Idzik..

Both BB and Parcells drafted a lot of D and they were picking the players.. What always made me laugh was the fans that said; That idiot Rex took a player that doesn't even fit his system.. When Sheldon turned out fine it became great pick by Idzik..

No, it was a great pick by Rex.  Any real GM would have looked to improve the horrendous offense.

Again, you're in denial. Any person with some sort of common sense would realize he's referring to our roster. If you think he's blaming the socks we wore, the weather or Woody Johnson's hat, then go ahead.

Rex said the problem was obvious. I guess it was.

He had tremendous say in round 1.  It's obvious that both GMs deferred to him.  How else do you explain zero offense being drafted in round 1 after Rex's 1st season where Rex was the one enamored with Sanchez?  He had tremendous say in FA pickups.  Look at the drek at WR he brought in from Baltimore instead of Brayln (a washed up Mason).  He brought in a decent Bart Scott but hung on way too long.. until he was utterly useless out there.  There were many others.

You've been in denial for years about Rex's incompetence in personnel, instead always denying that he had the tremendous input that Woody and both GMs afforded him.  

Well at least there is no denying his disorganized, sloppy and sometimes incoherent sidelines persona on game days and his complete incompetence in game day preparation.  Finally, hows Rex skills at making halftime adjustments?  Please.  Enough defense of this mistake. It's sickening.

The Jets also took zero offense in the first round after Mangini and Herm's first year as head coach, too. The common thread is Bradway, who I don't believe has a lot of confidence in his ability to scout offensive talent. That would somewhat explain the trades and expensive free agent signings on that side of the ball over the years. With all of Rex's influence, the payroll is still tilted very heavily in favor of the offense this year (~ $55M to $33M), and I'm pretty confident it's been that way consistently.

And HE is partially to blame for the lack of talent.  He and his coaching staff have been completely inept at developing ANY players properly.  He had humongous input on all 1st round draft picks (He fell in love with Sanchez after viewing him on a high school field in California with Tannenbaum and pushed to trade up for him), and he obviously had a lot of contor over the other round 1 defensive picks.  In fact, he had so much control in round 1, that after Snchez, we never drafted an offensive player again in round 1.  He certainly had say in acquiring the Baltimore castoffs. 

I really an surprised that so many people completely blame the personnel issues on the two bad GMs.  Rex had tremendous input and control under both GMs.  And he flat out sucks at it.  Good riddance.  Love the guy, but he should never be allowed even the slightest bit of say/control over personnel by any other team again.  

Under Tannenbaum, not Idzik.  In fact, Calvin Pryor was Idzik's guy all the way.

How about saying lots of things didn't go the way we wanted, but in the end we didn't get the job done. And leave it at that. Any follow-up questions, reply with there's nothing more to say, and how much he's loved it here, and thank Woody for the opportunity, blah blah blah.

There's nothing a 3-11 coach can say that's going to go over well. So say as close to nothing as possible. JMO.

Right on the nose.

Archived