Cimini: Dante Fowler a Fit For the Jets

flgreen

Pick six: Florida LB Dante Fowler Jr. a fit for Jets

• Rich Cimini, ESPN New York Jets reporter

•  
  • Comment

Between now and the draft, we'll take an up-close look at the leading candidates for the New York Jets, who own the sixth pick. Previously featured was Amari Cooper:

Player: Dante Fowler, Jr., DE/OLB, Florida

Height/weight: 6-foot-3, 261 pounds

Scouts, Inc. overall ranking: Eighth

Dante Fowler Jr.'s versatility, long arms and strong intangibles are coveted by defensive coordinators. Mark LoMoglio/Icon Sportswire

The Jets should draft him because ...: They need to start rebuilding at outside linebacker.Calvin Pace and Jason Babin, both 34, are in the final year of their contracts. So is Quinton Coples, although he could be back if the team exercises a fifth-year option. Even if he returns, Coples isn't a speed rusher -- and that's what they need to complement the big boys up front. The Jets haven't had a big-time speed rusher since John Abraham in 2004. Fact: They allowed a league-worst 84.9 Total QBR on third down. That screams, "Help!"

They should pass because ...: Todd Bowles proved last season in Arizona he can field a winning defense without an elite pass-rusher. He manufactured pressure with his exotic blitzes and man-to-man coverage in the secondary, and he should be able to duplicate that with the Jets, who have the cornerbacks to pull it off. So the question is, why invest a high pick in a pass-rusher if the philosophy is team over individuals?

Scouting Report: Fowler is widely regarded as the top edge player in the draft, and he could be drafted as high as third (Jacksonville Jaguars). He's more of a complete player than the other top pass-rushers, with enough size and strength to set the edge. In other words, he won't get swallowed up against the run. Scouts also like his versatility, as he played several different spots in the Florida scheme -- outside and inside linebacker, defensive end and even a little 3-technique. A creative coach like Bowles would have a lot of fun with Fowler. His burst is excellent -- 1.56 seconds in the 10-second split at the scouting combine, the fastest among defensive linemen. His 40 time (4.60) also impressed. He has long arms (33 3/4 inches), always a plus for pass-rushers. His intangibles are strong. Scouts say he's a hard worker and coachable.

Key stats: His numbers last season were good, not great -- 8.5 sacks, 17 quarterback hurries and 15 tackles for loss. But let's not forget he played in the toughest conference, the SEC. In 37 career games, he had 14.5 sacks. Unlike some of his peers, Fowler isn't a one-trick pony. In 2014, four of his 8.5 sacks came on power moves (bull rush, swim move), with the rest coming on finesse moves (speed rush, spin move), according to ESPN Stats & Information. Of the players ranked in the top 15 at each of the front-seven positions, he's one of only five who had at least four sacks in the power and finesse categories.

Red flags: Off the field, he's clean. People around the Florida program, including academic counselors, speak highly of Fowler, sources said. On the field, the biggest concern is his lack of height. A shade under 6-foot-3, he doesn't have prototypical size for a 3-4 outside linebacker, which is where he'd play in the Jets' scheme.

What scouts are saying: NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock: "I will be stunned if he gets past pick No. 5. He's a top-five pick all day long." ... NFC scout: "He's a hybrid guy, and a lot of teams are looking for that. Right now, he can come in and rush the passer. You put him in a two-point or three-point stance, and he'll rush the passer -- and he's pretty good at it. I don't think he's worth the third pick in the draft, but I gave him a solid first-round grade."

Fowler in his own words: "I can do it all -- some linebacker, some defensive end, I can do both. I can rush really good and I can drop back in coverage. If I want to think I’m a big guy, I like to go out there and mess with the receivers. I can play in the flats and in the curls. I can play everywhere. ... I create a lot of problems for the offense and really just stressing coordinators out. ... Growing up, Ray Lewis was my favorite player. I liked DeMarcus Ware when he was at the Cowboys. He was really good at putting his hand in the dirt and playing [linebacker]. That’s why I like to do both. As the game grew into a passing league, there’s a new generation of guys like a Von Miller and Aldon Smith. I try to work my game around them.’’

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They'll pass on him because he's overrated both as a player and an athlete. He will most definitely be there at 6, the Jets should most definitely pass.

Arguably the single most overrated player in this draft, not a top ten pick.

All of these pass rushers outside of Gregory are being oversold. And Gregory is a pot head...so there's that.

They'll pass on him because he's overrated both as a player and an athlete. He will most definitely be there at 6, the Jets should most definitely pass.

Surprised you feel this way...how is he overrated?

Thank you Captain Obvious Cimini.  Too bad he won't be there at 6

he is running a multi-part series of many players in mix so you will see some that probably wont be there, but in draft, one never knows.. plus I think Rich is thinking possible tradeup candidates

I agree. He's not an impact player and he's not even a pass rusher. People just go with whats popular. You could put a picture of me with the rest of this draft class, and if the the talking heads say that I am a top 10 talent more than half this forum would agree. 

You pass on this dude. 

I agree. He's not an impact player and he's not even a pass rusher. People just go with whats popular. You could put a picture of me with the rest of this draft class, and if the the talking heads say that I am a top 10 talent more than half this forum would agree.

You pass on this dude.

Gato dislikes Fowler solely because he's in love with Dupree.

Im not huge on Dupree only because he's raw. I dont believe on taking a raw guy like him with the 6th pick. Generally speaking though, if I had to decide between Fowler and Dupree, I'd pick Dupree. He's an impact player. He can rush the passer and he has solid weight to him. He's just raw.

I dont like Fowler, dude disappears in games and is not the pass rusher/best OLB that the experts are proclaiming him to be. 

Whoa now, unimpressive numbers for a pass rushing 3-4 OLB prospect at 6. Upside is of the Thomas/Pace/Jarrett Johnson variety. Dupree is a potential monster pass rusher who has all Fowler's strengths (versatilitiezzzz) and none of his weaknesses.

Im not huge on Dupree only because he's raw. I dont believe on taking a raw guy like him with the 6th pick. Generally speaking though, if I had to decide between Fowler and Dupree, I'd pick Dupree. He's an impact player. He can rush the passer and he has solid weight to him. He's just raw.

I dont like Fowler, dude disappears in games and is not the pass rusher/best OLB that the experts are proclaiming him to be. 

Gato's in love with Dupree because Dupree is awesome.

Whoa now, unimpressive numbers for a pass rushing 3-4 OLB prospect at 6. Upside is of the Thomas/Pace/Jarrett Johnson variety. Dupree is a potential monster pass rusher who knows how to play linebacker.

If I was shooting for a pass rusher that I "knew" was going to be great, I'd take Beasley. I'm not as confident in any of the others becoming a 12+ sack guy. I think Fowler becomes, at worst, a dirty work, nasty, Lance Briggs/Wilber Marshall-type player for you. 

Lots of draftniksfwiw cooling on Dupree because he loafs, apparently, and doesn't seem to have good instincts. These are draftniks, though. 

All of these pass rushers outside of Gregory are being oversold. And Gregory is a pot head...so there's that.

Dupree isn't being oversold. He's being waaaay undersold. Agreed on Gregory, that guy has Jason Taylor-esque tools and playmaking ability, but who knows what kind of person he is.

Surprised you feel this way...how is he overrated?

Not athletic enough for a top ten pick at that position. Was he even such a playmaker in college? Ten less sacks than Dupree IIRC...

If I was shooting for a pass rusher that I "knew" was going to be great, I'd take Beasley. I'm not as confident in any of the others becoming a 12+ sack guy. I think Fowler becomes, at worst, a dirty work, nasty, Lance Briggs/Wilber Marshall-type player for you.

Lots of draftniksfwiw cooling on Dupree because he loafs, apparently, and doesn't seem to have good instincts. These are draftniks, though.

All these guys you compare Fowler to are more a modern ILB/LB than 3-4 OLBs, no? Briggs...that Eagles LB...Marshall...That's a good player, not a top 6 pick. Karlos Dansby would be another name in that bunch. Dansby played DE and LB at Auburn before playing 4-3 OLB and 3-4 ILB in the NFL.

It's Dupree, Cooper, or trade for Rivers. That's the best way to get a big time player out of this draft, and the Jets need either a young cheap elite or a QB out of this. Even Cooper is a little disappointing...I mean a JWR vs a Top shelf QB or pass rusher...no contest.

I'll let Clemson thrive elsewhere. If the Jets take him...I mean he's a really good prospect if I'm being objective, but Clemson? Boooo, soooowft.

let's assume the 2 QBs go 1 and 2, and Leonard Williams goes either 3 or 4.

that means at least two of either Beasley, Fowler, Cooper, White will be on the board

Not too shabby.

I'd classify that as possibly extremely shabby, but different strokes, I guess.

Archived