2014 final roster vs. 2015 current roster (position by position)

Jetsfan80

It's not hard to improve on a flaming pile of sh*t.  But just for fun, let's see how the roster flip is looking, position by position, now that the draft is complete:

QB

2014:  Geno Smith, Michael Vick, Matt Simms

2015:  Ryan Fitzpatrick, Smith, Bryce Petty, Simms

EDGE:  2015

RB

2014:  Chris Ivory, Chris Johnson, Bilal Powell, John Conner (FB), Tommy Bohanon (FB)

2015:  Ivory, Stevan Ridley, Powell, Zac Stacy, Bohanon

WR

2014:  Eric Decker, Percy Harvin, Jeremy Kerley, Greg Salas, Quincy Enunwa, TJ Graham, Chris Owusu, Shaq Evans

2015:  Decker, Brandon Marshall, Kerley, Devin Smith, DeVier Posey, Enunwa, Owusu, Evans

TE

2014:  Jace Amaro, Jeff Cumberland, Zach Sudfeld

2015:  Amaro, Cumberland, Kellen Davis, Sudfeld

EDGE:  Even (Though it is assumed that Amaro will show progress)

OT

2014:  D'Brickashaw Ferguson, Breno Giacomini, Oday Aboushi, Ben Ijalana

2015:  Ferguson, Giacomini, Aboushi, Sean Hooey, Corey Hilliard, Ijalana

EDGE:  Even (Could go either way:  Aboushi, assumed to be getting groomed for RT, emerges, OR Ferguson starts to decline)

Guard

2014:  Willie Colon, Brian Winters, Aboushi, Dakota Dozier

2015:  James Carpenter, Colon, Dozier, Aboushi, Winters, Jarvis Harrison

Center

2014:  Nick Mangold, Dalton Freeman, Wesley Johnson

2015:  Mangold, Freeman, Johnson

EDGE:  Even

NT

2014:  Damon Harrison, Kenrick Ellis

2015:  Harrison, Deon Simon

EDGE:  2014

DT/DE

2014:  Muhammad Wilkerson, Sheldon Richardson, Leger Douzable, TJ Barnes

2015:  Wilkerson, Richardson, Leonard Williams, Barnes, Douzable, Kevin Vickerson, Stephen Bowen

DE/OLB

2014:  Quinton Coples, Calvin Pace, Jason Babin, Ik Enemkpali, Trevor Reilly, Jermaine Cunningham

2015:  Coples, Pace, Babin, Lorenzo Mauldin, Enemkpali, Reilly

ILB

2014:  Demario Davis, David Harris, Nick Bellore

2015:  Davis, Harris, Joe Mays, Jamari Lattimore, Erin Henderson

CB

2014:  Dee Milliner, Kyle Wilson, Dexter McDougle, Darrin Walls, Marcus Williams, Phillip Adams

2015:  Darrelle Revis, Antonio Cromartie, Buster Srkine, Milliner, McDougle, Williams, Walls, Curtis Brown

FS

2014:  Dawan Landry, Antonio Allen

2015:  Marcus Gilchrist, Allen

SS

2014:  Calvin Pryor, Jaiquawn Jarrett, Rontez Miles

2015: Pryor, Jarrett, Miles

Special Teams

2014:  Nick Folk, Ryan Quigley, Tanner Purdum, Harvin (KR), Kerley (PR)

2015:  Folk, Quigley, Purdum, Devin Smith (KR)??, Kerley (PR)

Rookies are meaningless until we see them play a season.

The only positions where this comment really applies would be on the DL and the DE/OLB pass rusher spots, since we had free agent additions/trade acquisitions at every other spot where we added a rookie (QB, WR, G).

I gave NT an "even" result after replacing Kenrick Ellis with a 7th round rookie.  I suppose you could argue we were stronger there last year by default, even if Ellis ended up a disappointment.

However, for DE/DT.....Yes, Leonard Williams is a rookie.  He was also the top-rated rookie, at any position, by most experts.  So I don't think I'm stepping out of line by saying we're already improved there.  No chance we take the "risk" of drafting a guy at a position where there is zero need if we don't think he's a truly special talent there.

And as for the DE/OLB spot, yes, it's difficult to assume much about Mauldin.  But given that we are exactly the same at the position otherwise, is it much of a stretch to say that adding a fresh rookie generally rated about where we took him makes us at least slightly better at that position as well?

The only positions where this comment really applies would be on the DL and the DE/OLB pass rusher spots, since we had free agent additions/trade acquisitions at every other spot where we added a rookie (QB, WR, G).

I gave NT an "even" result after replacing Kenrick Ellis with a 7th round rookie.  I suppose you could argue we were stronger there last year by default, even if Ellis ended up a disappointment.

However, for DE/DT.....Yes, Leonard Williams is a rookie.  He was also the top-rated rookie, at any position, by most experts.  So I don't think I'm stepping out of line by saying we're already improved there.  No chance we take the "risk" of drafting a guy at a position where there is zero need if we don't think he's a truly special talent there.

And as for the DE/OLB spot, yes, it's difficult to assume much about Mauldin.  But given that we are exactly the same at the position otherwise, is it much of a stretch to say that adding a fresh rookie generally rated about where we took him makes us at least slightly better at that position as well?

I think they are hoping Barnes replaces Ellis.  Supposedly Bowles plays more 1-gap which would be more VIckerson's forte.  Vickerson is up around 328 know and is probably an upgrade from Ellis at anything other than straight NT.

I gave NT an "even" result after replacing Kenrick Ellis with a 7th round rookie. I suppose you could argue we were stronger there last year by default, even if Ellis ended up a disappointment.

However, for DE/DT.....Yes, Leonard Williams is a rookie. He was also the top-rated rookie, at any position, by most experts. So I don't think I'm stepping out of line by saying we're already improved there. No chance we take the "risk" of drafting a guy at a position where there is zero need if we don't think he's a truly special talent there.

And as for the DE/OLB spot, yes, it's difficult to assume much about Mauldin. But given that we are exactly the same at the position otherwise, is it much of a stretch to say that adding a fresh rookie generally rated about where we took him makes us at least slightly better at that position as well?

Gholston was a rookie as well once.

Thanks for posting-

Really striking how much better the team is everywhere.  It may not translate to the playoffs but at least there is hope.  Mac spent his money well and had a good draft but now he fades to the back and the light shifts to Bowles.  He has the groceries, time to make dinner.  The GM did his job and now its the coaches turn to do his.

Funny that the OP used "Edge" 2015 when really there is a cliff in most instances, I can't wait for the pre-season games just to see ll these guys compete.  I seriously am looking forward to our UDFA's playong, we got 2 decent LB's, a FS and a TE that have a shot.

It frankly amazes me how unrelentingly negative and "doom and gloom" some posters are. The Jets have brought in high quality starters on both offense and defense, filled a number of gaps with competitive journeymen, and had a stellar draft. That, I would think, should at least offer some hope for a competitive and fun season. Playoffs? SB's? That's a stretch right now but not impossible to say the least. If things are not looking up, you ain't looking.

Strong roster, looks like 10-6 to me.

Only 2 weaknesses are QB of course.

And 3rd back. Guess Powell (yawn) will fill that role. Would've really liked Vereen or drafted Duke Johnson. We reall need that back who can catch a 2 yard pass and convert a 3rd and 6 to extend a drive, we've been missing that for years.

I also think Geno will be fine

It's almost as if someone set a plan in motion, oh, three years ago, to dump old, bloated salaries in order to obtain a bunch of cap room and draft picks in an attempt to rebuild the franchise in, oh, three/four years. 

And 3rd back. Guess Powell (yawn) will fill that role. Would've really liked Vereen or drafted Duke Johnson. We reall need that back who can catch a 2 yard pass and convert a 3rd and 6 to extend a drive, we've been missing that for years.

RT is our biggest weakness behind QB.  Maybe even the biggest weakness.  Hopefully Aboushi becomes a capable starter there if/when Breno falters.

It's almost as if someone set a plan in motion, oh, three years ago, to dump old, bloated salaries in order to obtain a bunch of cap room and draft picks in an attempt to rebuild the franchise in, oh, three/four years. 

Then the 2014 draft happened.  Idzik was the right man to get rid of the bad contracts.  But not the right guy to finish the plan.

Then the 2014 draft happened.  Idzik was the right man to get rid of the bad contracts.  But not the right guy to finish the plan.

I remember when you did one of these to show what a great job Idzik had done with the roster.

Then the 2014 draft happened. Idzik was the right man to get rid of the bad contracts. But not the right guy to finish the plan.

a monkey or pac could dump contracts and go 4-12.. plan, lmao

For all we know he was hoarding cash to put rims on all the pencil sharpeners.

You're right. Let's never acquire highly touted rookies. Just trade all your picks for proven commodities.

Not remotely what I meant. My whole point was rookies can't be taken into consideration when talking about how good a team is going to be.

I think Wiiliams is a beast and Tampa is going to be regretting not taking him for a long time but no one has any idea how good he'll be in the NFL.

I don't understand the bolded.  Powell can do exactly what Vereen did and catch that 2 yd pass and turn it into something much bigger.  Difference is Vereen played with a future HOF QB and Powell played with.... well you know this story.  I think Powell is going to surprise ppl when Gailey uses him the right way.

I would have liked Vereen too but I'm not upset BECAUSE I have a player like Powell.  He is the most consistent player we have had on offense that isn't named Mangold or Ferguson.

Archived