Boston station WEEI just reported...........

SouthernJet

In some weird way, part of me is actually starting to hope that Goodell does what we all think he'll do and just slap Brady* and the Pats* on the wrist.  Hopefully it would be seen as such an injustice by NFL fans and the owners alike that real movement is finally taken to fire Roger Goodell. 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still say whats been lost in deflated footballs make it less likely for RBs to fumble. NFL mentioned Pats were least fumbling team since Brady at a math rate that was improbably high.

Coaches say turnovers dictate games and for all the Brady years Pats have had less RB fumbles, aka, potential game changing turnovers than anyone. HUGE advantage.

Great point that never crossed my mind.

Great point that never crossed my mind.

There was a stat when all this came out that after Peyton and Brady lobbied the league to change the rule to let visiting teams bring their own footballs, the Patriots' turnover margin dropped ridiculously, especially in bad weather games.  It was such a change that when you compared it to the team with the next fewest turnovers, it wasn't even close.

There was a stat when all this came out that after Peyton and Brady lobbied the league to change the rule to let visiting teams bring their own footballs, the Patriots' turnover margin dropped ridiculously, especially in bad weather games.  It was such a change that when you compared it to the team with the next fewest turnovers, it wasn't even close.

Amazing that something like this could fly under the radar for so long.  

You have to ask, why not a lifetime ban?

Tom Brady didn't mess with a few regular season games over the course of a career.  Tom Brady cheated in playoff games, championship games, and the Super Bowl.  He's tarnished an entire season, illegitimized a World Championship, made a mockery of a sport adored by tens of millions, and his reaction is to laugh as if it didn't matter.

He's Shoeless Joe Jackson.

SAR I

I am with you

what does it matter, they would just find a way to cheat on that one as well. That is what they are best at after all.

maybe we could gt video of him practicing with the team, present it to the league, and they could burn it.

They way I see this, there should be 3 items specifically mentioned when justifying his upcoming suspension, with games attached to each:

1.  For lying to investigators AFTER the fact

2.  For refusing to cooperate by turning over relevant documents/emails/messages

3.  For knowingly cheating by altering the ball MULTIPLE times over the course of the season (based on revealed texts).

Regarding number 1 and 2, the NFL is trying to protect the integrity and financial assets of a multi-billion $ industry...during an investigation into possible cheating that may have affected the outcome of it's games, they cannot have players (and especially stars like Brady who may be prominent figures in the game) lying to investigators claiming to know nothing about something that he quite clearly DID know about and directed.  And, there are no '5th amendment' rights during an NFL investigation, especially when all they are asking for are emails and texts between two parties being investigated for possible cheating.  I would have a hard time believing that the NFL does not have a clause in the player's contracts that they are expected to fully cooperate with any investigation into any matter that may affect NFL business.

Regarding number 3, the texts/emails whatever in the investigation showed that this wasn't a one time occurrence; so how long has it been going on?  Just this season? multiple seasons?  This would be an important aspect in determining punishment in my book.

I could easily see, and it would be perfectly justified IMO, a season-long suspension....4 games for lying, 4 games for non-cooperation and 8 games for the repetitive nature of the cheating.

It will be interesting to see what happens.....

I think it's pretty funny how confident Pats fans are when they post about playing without Brady for possibly 4 games.

Steelers- without Bell Big Ben will spread them out go 4-5 WRs (Pats are thin at DLINE) tire out their front & then play pitch & catch with Antonio Brown (Pats secondary is average now)

Bills- Rex Ryan rued the fact he never had a Brady at QB. You don't think doesn't remember the "Jets defense can suck my dick" comment from BB that was caught on the home Sunday Night blowout a few years ago?

I've always said that if Rex got a crack at that team without Brady it will be a bloodbath. This game is in Buffalo, Bills fans will smell blood in the water. Rex has the leading sack team from 2014 & the Pats Oline isn't that good, in fact it's Bradys release that makes the look decent. If Bills get quick lead Garrapolo might not finish this game in one piece.

Jaguars- Gus Bradley will be letting his team know what an opportunity they have (Jags always play hard). When you have a young unproven QB at the helm, you can be beat by any team in the NFL. Tougher game than Pats fans think.

Dallas- OMG, if this isn't a mismatch what is? Best Oline in football vs Pats Dline. Chandler Jones better put another 30Lbs in his azz to hold the edge against the Cowboys. Dez Bryant vs Pats secondary? Without Brady this game has BLOWOUT written all over it!

Additional fumble stats further contributing to that which we all now know .... They are Cheaters and should have to return the Lombardies ....

http://www.sharpfootballanalysis.com/blog/2015/the-new-england-patriots-mysteriously-became-fumble-proof-in-2007

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Right. I'm wondering why an analysis like this wasn't done as part of the investigation. Remember, Goodell stated the league wanted to know whether the deflation cheating went beyond just one game. This shows it may have been happening since 2007.

They way I see this, there should be 3 items specifically mentioned when justifying his upcoming suspension, with games attached to each:

1.  For lying to investigators AFTER the fact

2.  For refusing to cooperate by turning over relevant documents/emails/messages

3.  For knowingly cheating by altering the ball MULTIPLE times over the course of the season (based on revealed texts).

Regarding number 1 and 2, the NFL is trying to protect the integrity and financial assets of a multi-billion $ industry...during an investigation into possible cheating that may have affected the outcome of it's games, they cannot have players (and especially stars like Brady who may be prominent figures in the game) lying to investigators claiming to know nothing about something that he quite clearly DID know about and directed.  And, there are no '5th amendment' rights during an NFL investigation, especially when all they are asking for are emails and texts between two parties being investigated for possible cheating.  I would have a hard time believing that the NFL does not have a clause in the player's contracts that they are expected to fully cooperate with any investigation into any matter that may affect NFL business.

Regarding number 3, the texts/emails whatever in the investigation showed that this wasn't a one time occurrence; so how long has it been going on?  Just this season? multiple seasons?  This would be an important aspect in determining punishment in my book.

I could easily see, and it would be perfectly justified IMO, a season-long suspension....4 games for lying, 4 games for non-cooperation and 8 games for the repetitive nature of the cheating.

It will be interesting to see what happens.....

My thought exactly. And don't forget to add: A second cheating offense for the organization. So let's include a yearlong suspension of Belichick, draft picks, and a hefty fine as well.

They start out with Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Bye, Jax, Dalls with their first four games; outside of Jacksonville, there's not a single pushover there. Say what you will about Rex, but rookies/never-a-starters do not fair well against his defense, let alone that buffalo defense he's inheriting. If Brady gets four games, I wouldn't be surprised to see them start 1-3.

I agree. They're not beating that Bills D or the Cowboys in Dallas without Brady....even with Brady those would be tough games. They could beat Jacksonville however with even you or me at QB though lol so probably 1-3, 2-2 at best if their D and run game play well .

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

If the suspension isn't for the full season than Goodell loses the small amount of credibility that he has left. Four games would mean that cheating and tarnishing the game's integrity is the equivolant of violating the banned substance policy

My thought exactly. And don't forget to add: A second cheating offense for the organization. So let's include a yearlong suspension of Belichick, draft picks, and a hefty fine as well.

This made me think, what suspension would result in a worse record for the Patriots....Brady suspended for 1 year or Belichick suspended for 1 year?

I would have to say Belichick. We saw in 08 it is possible for them to still win double digit games without Brady (although that team had much more talent then this year's team) and we saw what a year without Sean Payton did to the Saints despite still having Brees.

This made me think, what suspension would result in a worse record for the Patriots....Brady suspended for 1 year or Belichick suspended for 1 year?

I would have to say Belichick. We saw in 08 it is possible for them to still win double digit games without Brady (although that team had much more talent then this year's team) and we saw what a year without Sean Payton did to the Saints despite still having Brees.

This year's team has more talent than the '08 team.  The '08 team had a great front 3 on defense plus Mayo having a good rookie year.  The rest of the defense was absolute trash and it's hard to find another player on the D who would have started on this year's team (and maybe only 3 or 4 others would have made this year's team at all).  The '08 team also had Moss playing at half speed plus Welker, Kevin Faulk, and a solid left side of the OL.  The current Patriots are better everywhere else, including TE, right side of the OL, RB (other than 3rd down back), WR (other than Moss, even at half speed) and backup QB.

Part of the Saints problem was that other experienced coaches besides Payton (e.g. Vitt and Williams) were suspended as well.  So they were left with Aaron Kromer running the team into a quick 2-4 hole.  Unless McDaniels got suspended as well, the Patriots would not have the same problem if BB were suspended. 

This year's team has more talent than the '08 team. The '08 team had a great front 3 on defense plus Mayo having a good rookie year. The rest of the defense was absolute trash and it's hard to find another player on the D who would have started on this year's team (and maybe only 3 or 4 others would have made this year's team at all). The '08 team also had Moss playing at half speed plus Welker, Kevin Faulk, and a solid left side of the OL. The current Patriots are better everywhere else, including TE, right side of the OL, RB (other than 3rd down back), WR (other than Moss, even at half speed) and backup QB.

Part of the Saints problem was that other experienced coaches besides Payton (e.g. Vitt and Williams) were suspended as well. So they were left with Aaron Kromer running the team into a quick 2-4 hole. Unless McDaniels got suspended as well, the Patriots would not have the same problem if BB were suspended.

You think this year's D is better than the 08 team? You guys had Seymour, Wilfork, Bruschi, Vrabrel (yes they were older but still huge when it came to having veteran leadership and timely play making ability) like you said Mayo had a very good rookie season, and Merriweather wasnt bad then either. They we're ranked Top 10 in the league.

I don't see this Patriots defense ranking top 10 after losing Revis and Browner. They have solid LBers and McCourty and a couple young DTs, but overall don't think they'll be as good as 08.

They also lost their DC Williams who was the cause of the whole thing to start with.. Plus 4  players got suspended including Vilma..

You think this year's D is better than the 08 team? You guys had Seymour, Wilfork, Bruschi, Vrabrel (yes they were older but still huge when it came to having veteran leadership and timely play making ability) like you said Mayo had a very good rookie season, and Merriweather wasnt bad then either. They we're ranked Top 10 in the league.

I don't see this Patriots defense ranking top 10 after losing Revis and Browner. They have solid LBers and McCourty and a couple young DTs, but overall don't think they'll be as good as 08.

Definitely not top 10 this year without Revis. And tougher schedule, so I would not expect more than 9 wins if Brady were out for the year.

Talent is definitely better now than in 2008 though, in part because of a run of crummy Pioli-influenced drafts, in part because a lot of the big names on the '08 team were on their last legs.

Archived