Dolphins Extend Tannehill for Big Money

CrazyCarl40

Tannehill is neither elite nor a "franchise" QB.

Dumb move for them.  You don't pretend you have a franchise QB when you don't have one.  See: Mark Sanchez.

How is this different from Tanny giving Mark Sanchez that brutally expensive extension that ruined the Jets cap situation for a few years?  

Deja Vu all over again.

Tannehill is a JAG.

Based on QBR Tannehill is a top 15 QB who had more completions than Andrew Luck and Tom Brady, was 11th in the league in passing yards and 5th in completion percentage. 

If a Jet QB had these stats you wouldnt be calling him a Jag or comparing him to Sanchez. 

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Based on QBR Tannehill is a top 15 QB who had more completions than Andrew Luck and Tom Brady, was 11th in the league in passing yards and 5th in completion percentage. 

If a Jet QB had these stats you wouldnt be calling him a Jag or comparing him to Sanchez. 

Pennington did things like that too. 

You don't know that. 

I can name 100 guys who people thought were gonna be better than they turned out. 

I can name 100 guys that improved as expected as well.

He has improved 3 straight years coming into this year. Now they :

-got rid of that crap player Mike Wallace. 

-Traded for Kenny Stills

-Signed Jordon Cameron

-Drafted Devonte Parker. 

Hell be projected by every analyst,publication and network to improve for a 4th straight year. 

This is the same fanbase that thinks Ryan Fitzpatrick will be the comeback player of the year and lead us to the promised land. 

Message boards are free to stray as far from reality as they like. Don't think much of it. 

-Traded for Kenny Stills

-Signed Jordon Cameron

-Drafted Devonte Parker. 

Hell be projected by every analyst,publication and network to improve for a 4th straight year. 

Yeah, because none of those people are ever wrong. :hand:

Pennington did things like that too. 

Pennington never threw for 4000 yards or 24 TD's. Penninton has never done that twice in his first 3 years in the league. 

The only thing that I can criticize Tannehill for is his deep throws. He's one of the worst in the league. People talk about Mike Wallace not earning his money, much of that had to do with Tannehill not being an accurate deep ball thrower. Everything else in his game is pretty good. 

And im a  Chad fan so comparing him to Chad isnt a bad thing in my eyes, though I simply dont see the comparison as a player or stat wise. 

Ryan Tannehill is a good football player. He's not elite, but dude is no JAG. 

-Traded for Kenny Stills

-Signed Jordon Cameron

-Drafted Devonte Parker. 

His year over year improvements are extremely impressive.  You dont typically see a QB turn it around, that much.  Kids good.  Wish we had a QB like him. 

Pennington never threw for 4000 yards or 24 TD's. Penninton has never done that twice in his first 3 years in the league. 

The only thing that I can criticize Tannehill for is his deep throws. He's one of the worst in the league. People talk about Mike Wallace not earning his money, much of that had to do with Tannehill not being an accurate deep ball thrower. Everything else in his game is pretty good. 

And im a  Chad fan so comparing him to Chad isnt a bad thing in my eyes, though I simply dont see the comparison as a player or stat wise. 

Ryan Tannehill is a good football player. He's not elite, but dude is no JAG. 

It was also a different league 14 years ago when Pennington made his debut and the Jets had a great running game so why not take advantage of that? I still heard people defend Pennington by claiming he didn't have the weapons. 

The difference is, Pennington put up impressive numbers and made it to the playoffs. Tannehill was in control of his own destiny in 2013 and lost back to back games to lesser teams to miss the playoffs and last year was in control of his own destiny and lost 3 out of 4 to miss the playoffs. That's the start of a trend. 

You don't like the Pennington comparison? OK, he's Tony Romo, only the Dolphins wasted a draft pick on him in addition to overpaying him. 

So Geno Smith is up for an extension after this year right? Ugh oh...... Are we one good Geno year away from paying him 20 mill?!?!?

Maybe if he leads the league in QBR, goes 14-2 or better AND wins the Super Bowl with cold, Joe Montana-like efficiency. Then.... maybe.....

It was also a different league 14 years ago when Pennington made his debut and the Jets had a great running game so why not take advantage of that? I still heard people defend Pennington by claiming he didn't have the weapons. 

The difference is, Pennington put up impressive numbers and made it to the playoffs. Tannehill was in control of his own destiny in 2013 and lost back to back games to lesser teams to miss the playoffs and last year was in control of his own destiny and lost 3 out of 4 to miss the playoffs. That's the start of a trend. 

You don't like the Pennington comparison? OK, he's Tony Romo, only the Dolphins wasted a draft pick on him in addition to overpaying him. 

What was going on 14 years ago and what people was saying to defend Pennington has nothing to do with the fact that Tannehill has thrown for 24 or more TD's and 4000 yards in 2 of his 3 years in the league and is considered the 15th best QB based on QBR. 

Your determination to compare him to other good QB's is fine by me, because to be honest, I would take a Ryan Tannehill, Tony Romo or Chad Pennington on this team right now. Nothing you've said has made Ryan Tannehill look worse than what he is, which is a good quarterback. Are you saying that Romo and Pennington arent/werent good quarterbacks? 

Where was he in last years season ending game when the Jets put a big pile of whoop azz on the Fins in Miami?

Saying it right now, Petty will be the best QB in this division in 2017!

This thread proves we have a lot of Fin fans posing as Jet fans in Jetsnation.

He's OK, but damn, he couldn't even take advantage of our sorry azz secondary last year? What's he gonna do with Mo, Coples, Williams & Sheldon chasing him around while Revis is closing down half the f*cking field?

Jets sweep Fins in 2015.... Book it!

The 26 year old who just threw for 4000 yards, 27 TD's with only 12 TD's with garbage at receiver and a sh*tty oline. He is getting better every year and is going to continue to get better as they improve his WR/Oline. 

One of the better young QB's in the NFL. 

I agree, good move.  He's young, learning, and improving.  He just had a better season than any QB in NYJ history.   Now he is locked up for 16 a year, which for QB money isn't that insane.

Ryan Tannehill: 6 years, $96 million with $45 Million Guaranteed

By Jason McIntyre 41 minutes ago 

Ryan Tannehill, a slightly above-average QB in the NFL who made significant strides in his third year with the Dolphins, just got Paid, which says more about the dearth of QBs in the NFL than it does Tannehill.

You may want to sit down for this one: Ryan Tannehill just got $45 million guaranteed from the Dolphins. (The word “guaranteed” is tricky – after putting pen to paper, it’s “only” $23.5 guaranteed … for now.)

Here’s a list of recent QB extensions, highlighted by the guaranteed money, which is what matters most:

* Colin Kaepernick got $61 million guaranteed (explained fully here) in the summer of 2014

* Jay Cutler got $54 million guaranteed in January 2014

* Matt Stafford got $41.5 million guaranteed in the summer of 2013

* Andy Dalton got $25 million guaranteed in August 2014

If you’re one of those guys who values playoff trips – QB wins! What a stat! – then the big money for Tannehill is a surprise. Few would say he’s better right now than Stafford was when he got his extension. But as a future play, this deal isn’t horrible for the Dolphins from this point of view: There’s simply nobody else out there.

[RELATED: Lauren Tannehill, Ryan Tannehill’s Model Wife, Left a Massive Rifle in a Rental Car]

After three years in the league, Tannehill isn’t a Top 15 QB in the NFL, and there’s no guarantee he makes that leap next season. But what are the alternative options if you don’t extend him?

You could be the Jets and have a QB competition between Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You could be the Bills and have a QB competition between – my goodness – EJ Manuel, Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor.

If you have something resembling a QB in the NFL right now – and the stats have not been kind to Tannehill in recent years – you lock him up and don’t risk losing him.

As for the future salary cap situation … Miami is clearly in win-now mode.

What was going on 14 years ago and what people was saying to defend Pennington has nothing to do with the fact that Tannehill has thrown for 24 or more TD's and 4000 yards in 2 of his 3 years in the league and is considered the 15th best QB based on QBR. 

Your determination to compare him to other good QB's is fine by me, because to be honest, I would take a Ryan Tannehill, Tony Romo or Chad Pennington on this team right now. Nothing you've said has made Ryan Tannehill look worse than what he is, which is a good quarterback. Are you saying that Romo and Pennington arent/werent good quarterbacks? 

24 TDs and 4000 yards in today's NFL is not all that awesome. Prior to 2003, 40TDs in a season had only been accomplished 3 times. You would have needed 43 or more to lead the league the last 5 years. 

Prior to 2002 there would maybe be one or two guys a year who would top 4000 yards. Now, you've got to flirt with 5000 if you want to crack the top 5. 

Prior to 2002, when Pennington led the league with a 104.2 passer rating. The league leader would be right around 100 most years, rarely above 105. In fact, there had only been 5 players who ever cracked 105 for a season prior to that time. Since 2007, 105.5 has been the lowest passer rating to lead the league for a season. 

Due to the rules changed implemented about 8-10 years ago, the passing game has opened up dramatically, making achieving numbers like Tannehill's not nearly as impressive as it would have been prior to that.

Making these arguments that Tannehill is so awesome because he threw for more than 4000 yards his first two years is just as bad and short sighted as saying Joe Montana sucked because he never threw for more than 4000 yards. 

Tell me, at their best, who would you rather have? I'll save you some time, Joe Montana won his first Super Bowl in his third year. He didn't have Jerry Rice until his 7th year, after he had already won his second Super Bowl throwing to the likes of Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon and Renaldo Nehemiah. So much for lacking weapinzzz.

Peyton Manning blows in the playoffs minus one Superbowl run. He'll be a first ballot HOF. 

Its a team sport - And Tannehill's team and supporting cast has just sucked. He has been surrounded by a garbage Oline, the Jonathon Martin drama, and Mike Wallace who doesn't run half his routes and still improved yearly with stud like numbers. 

QB's can play well until 35. He is 26 and has only been a QB for 4-5 years. He's going to get better regardless and now Miami added Jordon Cameron and Parker in the draft.  This is absolutely a no brainer. 

If Tannehill is on this team we are the favorites for the AL east this season. Perhaps its just because I'm a Jet fan but Ill take Tannehill or Russell Wilson all day. Besides Pennington's first big year we have never really had that QB that was good and perhaps could take that next step. Sanchez never had that upside.

Your post is well taken.  However..the NFL is getting ridiculous. Tannehill is not worth this.

Ryan Tannehill: 6 years, $96 million with $45 Million Guaranteed

By Jason McIntyre 41 minutes ago 

Ryan Tannehill, a slightly above-average QB in the NFL who made significant strides in his third year with the Dolphins, just got Paid, which says more about the dearth of QBs in the NFL than it does Tannehill.

You may want to sit down for this one: Ryan Tannehill just got $45 million guaranteed from the Dolphins. (The word “guaranteed” is tricky – after putting pen to paper, it’s “only” $23.5 guaranteed … for now.)

Here’s a list of recent QB extensions, highlighted by the guaranteed money, which is what matters most:

* Colin Kaepernick got $61 million guaranteed (explained fully here) in the summer of 2014

* Jay Cutler got $54 million guaranteed in January 2014

* Matt Stafford got $41.5 million guaranteed in the summer of 2013

* Andy Dalton got $25 million guaranteed in August 2014

If you’re one of those guys who values playoff trips – QB wins! What a stat! – then the big money for Tannehill is a surprise. Few would say he’s better right now than Stafford was when he got his extension. But as a future play, this deal isn’t horrible for the Dolphins from this point of view: There’s simply nobody else out there.

[RELATED: Lauren Tannehill, Ryan Tannehill’s Model Wife, Left a Massive Rifle in a Rental Car]

After three years in the league, Tannehill isn’t a Top 15 QB in the NFL, and there’s no guarantee he makes that leap next season. But what are the alternative options if you don’t extend him?

You could be the Jets and have a QB competition between Geno Smith and Ryan Fitzpatrick.

You could be the Bills and have a QB competition between – my goodness – EJ Manuel, Matt Cassel and Tyrod Taylor.

If you have something resembling a QB in the NFL right now – and the stats have not been kind to Tannehill in recent years – you lock him up and don’t risk losing him.

As for the future salary cap situation … Miami is clearly in win-now mode.

Then they better find themselves a different quarterback. 

• However, for the extra $7M the Dolphins got cap space in 2016, and locked up Ryan Tannehill at a bargain rate for the final 3 years.
    Blogger / Podcaster
  • tEOjmTUC_normal.jpg
    If the Dolphins had carried on with Tannehill's old deal & tagged him it would have run then $38M over 3 years instead of $45M over 3 years.
    Blogger / Podcaster

24 TDs and 4000 yards in today's NFL is not all that awesome. Prior to 2003, 40TDs in a season had only been accomplished 3 times. You would have needed 43 or more to lead the league the last 5 years. 

Prior to 2002 there would maybe be one or two guys a year who would top 4000 yards. Now, you've got to flirt with 5000 if you want to crack the top 5. 

Prior to 2002, when Pennington led the league with a 104.2 passer rating. The league leader would be right around 100 most years, rarely above 105. In fact, there had only been 5 players who ever cracked 105 for a season prior to that time. Since 2007, 105.5 has been the lowest passer rating to lead the league for a season. 

Due to the rules changed implemented about 8-10 years ago, the passing game has opened up dramatically, making achieving numbers like Tannehill's not nearly as impressive as it would have been prior to that.

Making these arguments that Tannehill is so awesome because he threw for more than 4000 yards his first two years is just as bad and short sighted as saying Joe Montana sucked because he never threw for more than 4000 yards. 

Tell me, at their best, who would you rather have? I'll save you some time, Joe Montana won his first Super Bowl in his third year. He didn't have Jerry Rice until his 7th year, after he had already won his second Super Bowl throwing to the likes of Dwight Clark, Freddie Solomon and Renaldo Nehemiah. So much for lacking weapinzzz.

You'll say just about anything right now.  Suddenly 4000 yards and 25+ TD's is not awesome. But you want to know what it is? It's "Good", just like I said Tannehill was. He's a good QB. You dont need to write a book about how he's not when he's shown that he's a middle of the pack QB. 

You being a Jet fan, you should know the difference. Geno is at the bottom.

You'll say just about anything right now.  Suddenly 4000 yards and 25+ TD's is not awesome. But you want to know what it is? It's "Good", just like I said Tannehill was. He's a good QB. You dont need to write a book about how he's not when he's shown that he's a middle of the pack QB. 

You being a Jet fan, you should know the difference. 

I do and I don't want to settle for some people's definition of "good." (Certainly not mine)

I want all-time. We've paid our penance. I want to watch a Hall of Famer for 10-15 years. 

I do and I don't want to settle for some people's definition of "good." (Certainly not mine)

I want all-time. We've paid our penance. I want to watch a Hall of Famer for 10-15 years. 

Well, Tannehill isnt a Jets QB so you dont have to worry about actually having a good one because we still have a lousy one. Nothing has changed. lol. 

Tannehill is neither elite nor a "franchise" QB.

Dumb move for them.  You don't pretend you have a franchise QB when you don't have one.  See: Mark Sanchez.

How is this different from Tanny giving Mark Sanchez that brutally expensive extension that ruined the Jets cap situation for a few years?  

Deja Vu all over again.

Tannehill is a JAG.

Tannehill : 61.9% completion, 3750 Yards, 21 TDs, 14 Ints, 83.99 QB Rating  0 rushing TDs, 0 Fumbles (All figures annualized)

Sanchez:  55.2% Completion, 3070 Yards, 18 TDs, 17 Ints, 73.18 QB Rating, 4 rushing TDs, 4 Fumbles (First 3 years figures annualized)

Yes, Sanchez won 4 playoff games. But that shouldn't undermine Tannehill. He has clearly outplayed Sanchez. That doesn't say much about Tannehill as a player, but the comparison is not fair. I'd say his value would be closer to 10-12 mil max.

Where was he in last years season ending game when the Jets put a big pile of whoop azz on the Fins in Miami?

Saying it right now, Petty will be the best QB in this division in 2017!

This thread proves we have a lot of Fin fans posing as Jet fans in Jetsnation.

He's OK, but damn, he couldn't even take advantage of our sorry azz secondary last year? What's he gonna do with Mo, Coples, Williams & Sheldon chasing him around while Revis is closing down half the f*cking field?

Jets sweep Fins in 2015.... Book it!

Wow.  Just wow.  

Dolphins take smart, calculated risk with Ryan Tannehill

38m

James Walker, ESPN Staff Writer

Jay Cutler and Colin Kaepernick recently signed contracts worth $126 million with the Chicago Bears and San Francisco 49ers, respectively. Andy Dalton also signed a contract extension worth up to $115 million with the Cincinnati Bengals.

When you look at it through that scope, the Miami Dolphins made a smart and calculated move to lock up starting quarterback Ryan Tannehill for the foreseeable future with a six-year, $96 million extension on Monday. Tannehill also received $45 million guaranteed, according to ESPN's Adam Schefter.

It can be challenging finding Tannehill's place in the NFL's quarterback hierarchy.

Tannehill is clearly not elite, as evident by his inconsistent deep ball and the fact that he's never posted a winning season in three years. But Tannehill also showed enough good things -- such as toughness, athleticism and intangibles -- to leave no question that he is Miami's best starting quarterback to play multiple seasons since Hall of Famer Dan Marino retired.

This is why the contract figures are key. The $96 million is a relative bargain for the premium position if Tannehill turns out to be the franchise quarterback the Dolphins envision. If not, the contract is not overly inflated like Cutler's. According to ESPN Stats and Information, Tannehill’s $45 million guaranteed ranks 11th among NFL starting quarterbacks. That’s fair. Tannehill is not a top-10 quarterback but has the potential to be.

The Dolphins also avoided becoming the first team in NFL history to have two players simultaneously on the roster with $100 million contracts, as Pro Bowl defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh signed for $114 million this offseason. Just as Suh is the face of Miami’s defense for the foreseeable future, the same now can be said for Tannehill on offense.

The Dolphins showed confidence in their quarterback by showing Tannehill the money after three seasons. Now, Tannehill must produce more wins and continue to improve to justify the significant pay raise.

Archived