Foles got benched

Jet in PA

Theres always that arrogant feeling that you're smarter than anyone else and believe you can get out of him what no one else could.  I dont know what in Sanchezs past says quality on any level.  He had more than enough time to prove he could play mistake free and failed

My son plays for a travel baseball team that places players in D 1 programs. I tell the kids and the dads all the time, it is not how well you play, but the metrics and projectables that coaches look at. Every coach considers themselves a genius that can take anyone that has the right attributes, and make them a star. 

Well, it is not always that way. Sometimes, some people just don't play well when it counts.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kelly was an idiot for bringing in Tebow. He had Tyrod Taylor knocking on his door, asking to be tried out.

did anything in last week's game impress you about Taylor?  Easily one of the worst QBS we've faces this year...did he really do that much more than Manziel?  The main difference between the 2 are turnovers and the bills special teams scored for Taylor...I'm happy as hell Kapernick 2.0 isn't our qb.

did anything in last week's game impress you about Taylor?  Easily one of the worst QBS we've faces this year...did he really do that much more than Manziel?  The main difference between the 2 are turnovers and the bills special teams scored for Taylor...I'm happy as hell Kapernick 2.0 isn't our qb.

Taylor is better than Tebow, that is all I am saying

fitz is 5-3

geno is 0-1

fitz cost a 7th rounder

geno cost a 2nd rounder

whats the issue?

Lmfao. Yeah, let's completely ignore Fitzpatrick's stupid decision to not slide on the play and tack the loss on a guy who had not played a snap of live football since week 17 last year. 

Lmfao. Yeah, let's completely ignore Fitzpatrick's stupid decision to not slide on the play and tack the loss on a guy who had not played a snap of live football since week 17 last year. 

back ups should never be prepared to start ever. and speaking of stupid decisions,  a $600 debt, his big mouth, and his awesome personality cost him his starting gig, probably forever. geno -- forever the victim.

back ups should never be prepared to start ever. and speaking of stupid decisions,  a $600 debt, his big mouth, and his awesome personality cost him his starting gig, probably forever. geno -- forever the victim.

His stat line wasn't "Vick in San Diego" bad.  Stop putting words in my mouth and stop pretending that Geno came in and played like Ryan Lindley.

Not disputing that. It was stupid.

Nothing you changes the fact that Fitzpatrick can be equally as stupid on the field and essentially cost us the game trying to fight for centimeters. You can close your eyes and ears to reality all you want, that's pretty much the largest reason we lost that game.  Also, if Fitzpatrick doesn't clean up his own stupid mistakes and we keep losing, Geno will be back in there; either by injury or by poor play.

Kelly scouted Sanchez in high school, and coached against him the PAC,

Personally I would not evaluate any skill offensive players from the former jet regime either, from their time with the Jets. 

Just look at what Chris Johnson is doing with Arizona this year. After watching him with the Jets last year, I would have thought he was finished.

It's amazing what running lanes are available when a team has receiving threats and a QB that can get them the ball.  Weird how the opposing defense isn't stacking the box.  

How much shlt can you make up in one sentence?   

None of which makes him a bad QB by the way, another thing lost on the anti Geno crowd.

I think Chip Kelly is an amazing offensive coach but I question his player evaluation skills. The Ducks had a QB on its roster that Kelly recruited this year that started for us. And he may be the worst D1 signal caller I've ever seen.... Mariota was recruited by Mark Helfrich, Kelly seems to like reclamation projects.....

It's true, Taylor did not impress against us. In other games, he seemed to run much better, and we really closed that down, but he's a little gimpy/banged up now, and when he isn't running, he's not too scary.

It's true, Taylor did not impress against us. In other games, he seemed to run much better, and we really closed that down, but he's a little gimpy/banged up now, and when he isn't running, he's not too scary.

that's my point.  If he isn't good unless he can run...he isn't good.

How much shlt can you make up in one sentence?   

None of which makes him a bad QB by the way, another thing lost on the anti Geno crowd.

it wasn't a knock on geno so much as it was a knock on geno supporters on this board. you know the type, its not genos fault, ever. geno not being responsible at all for the loss is just the latest example. after all, he wasn't supposed to play, therefore, the loss doesn't count.. just like last year doesn't count. no weapinz and all. and the year before doesn't count because he should have never been thrust into the starting gig..these excuses are mark sanchez redux.

His stat line wasn't "Vick in San Diego" bad.  Stop putting words in my mouth and stop pretending that Geno came in and played like Ryan Lindley.

Not disputing that. It was stupid.

Nothing you changes the fact that Fitzpatrick can be equally as stupid on the field and essentially cost us the game trying to fight for centimeters. You can close your eyes and ears to reality all you want, that's pretty much the largest reason we lost that game.  Also, if Fitzpatrick doesn't clean up his own stupid mistakes and we keep losing, Geno will be back in there; either by injury or by poor play.

its like the same, stupid mistake geno pulled, taking a monster hit fighting for centimeters. but that's ok because he never was supposed to play anyways

yea, its fitzpatricks fault the jets lost to Oakland .lmao @ that

...and Sanchez to start the next 2 weeks for the Eagles.  Wouldn't say this Bradford for Foles deal has worked out too well for either side.

In terms of those 2 players alone, I'd agree. On balance, though, I think it's worked out far better for the Rams. They got the (far) better end of the swap of draft picks, and over $10M of cap relief. 

its like the same, stupid mistake geno pulled, taking a monster hit fighting for centimeters. but that's ok because he never was supposed to play anyways

you left out one, a claim that Geno shouldn't have taken the hit and plays scared. At the same time.  That was a particularly dumb thought. Works both ways.  Never question the total effect of not having weapons but will always question it.  Would he play better with 3 years experience and better weapons?  It's just as foolish to say there is no chance he would. 

Maybe but for a 1st round pick?

Who says he'd have cost a 1st round pick?

Also at the time there was just Geno Smith and the prospect of bringing back Vick and/or Simms. There was no discussion of Fitzpatrick even being available until Maccagnan started & completed that negotiation the same day Houston picked up Hoyer (who isn't a worse QB than Fitzpatrick anyway; I think Fitz would have him in the veteran-starter leadership area that this team sorely needed, though. Plus anyway, Hoyer can't stay on the field). 

Mariota will have the same fate 3 years from now.  He'll be a backup somewhere.

nothing in his play to now says this. A rookie QB on a bad team setting records, comp. 66% ood his passes, more 2xs the number of TDs to INTs.  Better than we've had in forever.

it wasn't a knock on geno so much as it was a knock on geno supporters on this board. you know the type, its not genos fault, ever. geno not being responsible at all for the loss is just the latest example. after all, he wasn't supposed to play, therefore, the loss doesn't count.. just like last year doesn't count. no weapinz and all. and the year before doesn't count because he should have never been thrust into the starting gig..these excuses are mark sanchez redux.

Well first of all I didn't see anyone here suggest he was not at all responsible for the loss. Possible I missed it but I didn't read any post saying he played no part in that loss. He started out rusty, which is hardly unexpected even for far better QBs than Geno. Then he was really very good for a short while (particularly for a QB like him). Then he Geno'd up the place in the end. And frankly, he's lucky he didn't get injured himself when he took that huge hit down the sideline, and we had no active QBs left. No argument from me that Geno doesn't see the bigger picture, both on and off the field.

The next post is somewhat contradictory. If Geno is to blame (or certainly largely to blame) for the loss, and Fitzpatrick would have surely done better by not being Geno-like, then Fitzpatrick shares enormous blame by getting knocked out of the game and leaving his team in the hands of Geno Smith. His responsibility is more than that of a generic player on the team fighting for an extra yard wherever it can be had:  he is its unquestioned, veteran leader in a QB-driven league. He should know better, and if Bowles is to be believed they previously had repeatedly pounded it into his thick head that he has to slide. 

lazy to say he stinks who knows maybe he'd have jets undefeated. we can all end the analyzing. sperm has told us it's lazy to compare two players by their actual performance on the field because well, howwwww cannn youuu knowwwwww what they'd do in another situation? Guess all the scouts should be fired. How can we know how college players will perform in pros? Oh yeah, because you extrapolate based on evidence on performance. Lazy adult stuff. Much easier to just shout down everyone.

you left out one, a moron claimed Geno shouldn't have taken the hit and plays scared.  That was a particularly dumb thought. Works both ways.  Never question the total effect of not having weapons but will always question it.  Would he play better with 3 years experience and better weapons?  It's just as foolish to say there is no chance he would. 

as dumb as it was for fitz not sliding to gain that unnecessary xtra yard, it was equally dumb for geno to take that monster hit on the sideline.

would geno have played better this year with 2 years under his belt and better offensive weapons? I would hope so. but to what extent? a little better is my guess. it would have to have been a huge leap for this front office to consider him for next year and get him out of cellar dweller status. unfortunately for geno, he never got the shot, well, because of geno

as dumb as it was for fitz not sliding to gain that unnecessary xtra yard, it was equally dumb for geno to take that monster hit on the sideline.

would geno have played better this year with 2 years under his belt and better offensive weapons? I would hope so. but to what extent? a little better is my guess. it would have to have been a huge leap for this front office to consider him for next year and get him out of cellar dweller status. unfortunately for geno, he never got the shot, well, because of geno

I have no clue how much better he would have played.  But like you I would assume he would play better.  The frustrating part is when someone belittles people who thinks this way.  State as fact, an write FACT, that he couldn't and wouldn't have played more like the last 4 games of '14, wanting him to suck.  Wanting those 4 games to be a blip,  

lazy to say he stinks who knows maybe he'd have jets undefeated. we can all end the analyzing. sperm has told us it's lazy to compare two players by their actual performance on the field because well, howwwww cannn youuu knowwwwww what they'd do in another situation? Guess all the scouts should be fired. How can we know how college players will perform in pros? Oh yeah, because you extrapolate based on evidence on performance. Lazy adult stuff. Much easier to just shout down everyone.

Because it is lazy.

You honestly think the Rams' offense would be as good or better than that of the Jets if only Ryan Fitzpatrick was there? By the numbers, our offense isn't noticeably better than that of the 2010 Jets with Ryan and Schottenheimer coaching Mark Sanchez, Braylon Edwards, and Santonio Holmes (who missed 1/4 of the season to boot).

You are equating performance in an easy situation with performance in a terrible situation and suggesting those relative situations play no part, despite everyone knowing one is far cushier than the other. 

This seems to be the theory: Foles playing poorly with the Rams means he also would have performed poorly with the Jets. But Foles performing at an elite level just 2 seasons prior (with an intact OL he didn't have in 2014) cannot be extrapolated as past performance that indicates future performance. It is a contradictory position to take.

Far more likely is what past performance has shown: Foles can perform far better than Fitzpatrick in the right situation and worse than Fitzpatrick in the wrong situation. 

Well first of all I didn't see anyone here suggest he was not at all responsible for the loss. Possible I missed it but I didn't read any post saying he played no part in that loss. He started out rusty, which is hardly unexpected even for far better QBs than Geno. Then he was really very good for a short while (particularly for a QB like him). Then he Geno'd up the place in the end. And frankly, he's lucky he didn't get injured himself when he took that huge hit down the sideline, and we had no active QBs left. No argument from me that Geno doesn't see the bigger picture, both on and off the field.

The next post is somewhat contradictory. If Geno is to blame (or certainly largely to blame) for the loss, and Fitzpatrick would have surely done better by not being Geno-like, then Fitzpatrick shares enormous blame by getting knocked out of the game and leaving his team in the hands of Geno Smith. His responsibility is more than that of a generic player on the team fighting for an extra yard wherever it can be had:  he is its unquestioned, veteran leader in a QB-driven league. He should know better, and if Bowles is to be believed they previously had repeatedly pounded it into his thick head that he has to slide. 

yes, you missed it. page 3

me saying the geno hit was an egually dumb decision as fitz's failure to slide was a response to another poster saying it was fitz's fault the jets lost.

my point wasn't geno was the reason the jets lost. tbo, fitz most likely loses that game as well. my point was geno is 0-1 in 2015. fitz is 5-3. geno cost the jets a 2nd round pick. fitz cost the jets a 7th round pick. this statement came after another poster said the fitz trade sucked for the jets. just was pointing out,imo, why it didnt

that's my point.  If he isn't good unless he can run...he isn't good.

Did a lot of studying on Taylor coming into our game. Has a high completion %, pretty good deep ball accuracy (despite the opening throw Thursday night), nice TD-Int ratio...but the obvious flaws in his game is that he doesn't make quick decisions (which leads to unnecessary sacks), he doesn't often throw intermediate to deep in the middle of the field (height probably factors in there), and he's not going to throw his WRs open (needs separation).  Given that many thought the Bills had the worst QB situation in the league coming into the season, Taylor has  definitely exceeded expectations. That said, he's clearly a flawed player. I look at it like this: I'd  probably swap Fitz for him because there's still a chance Taylor can get better with more game experience...but I wouldn't swap Petty for him as I still favor Bryce's upside. 

yes, you missed it. page 3

me saying the geno hit was an egually dumb decision as fitz's failure to slide was a response to another poster saying it was fitz's fault the jets lost.

my point wasn't geno was the reason the jets lost. tbo, fitz most likely loses that game as well. my point was geno is 0-1 in 2015. fitz is 5-3. geno cost the jets a 2nd round pick. fitz cost the jets a 7th round pick. this statement came after another poster said the fitz trade sucked for the jets. just was pointing out,imo, why it didnt

You're not seriously using W/L records on statistically insignificant sample sizes as your statistical evidence, are you? Further, you go on to say Fitz would have lost that game as well (which I agree), but then use W/L record as a type of justification or suggestion that he wouldn't have. He had his own Geno-like picks and awful misses in our wins, as you obviously know. I don't think Smith therefore wins every game we won with Fitzpatrick, but I don't exactly think we lose them all either. Our defense was great against bad teams. We've won plenty of games like those in the past with stiffs playing QB. 

Geno cost the Jets a 2nd round pick 2 years ago; Fitz cost us a 7th round pick (and $3.5M) this year. BFD about 2013. Like Idzik would have drafted anyone good in his place.

And page 3 of what thread? Quote the post. I'm really interested in someone who says Geno played no part in the loss.

You're not seriously using W/L records on statistically insignificant sample sizes as your statistical evidence, are you? Further, you go on to say Fitz would have lost that game as well (which I agree), but then use W/L record as a type of justification or suggestion that he wouldn't have. He had his own Geno-like picks and awful misses in our wins, as you obviously know. I don't think Smith therefore wins every game we won with Fitzpatrick, but I don't exactly think we lose them all either. Our defense was great against bad teams. We've won plenty of games like those in the past with stiffs playing QB. 

Geno cost the Jets a 2nd round pick 2 years ago; Fitz cost us a 7th round pick (and $3.5M) this year. BFD about 2013. Like Idzik would have drafted anyone good in his place.

And page 3 of what thread? Quote the post. I'm really interested in someone who says Geno played no part in the loss.

ok, sperm. the fitz trade sucked. a valuable 7th round pick wasted. fitz is 5-4. geno is 0-0. is that better?

since they changed the board format, I don't know how to post quotes. its actually on page 2, not page 3.sorry.they didn't say geno played no part in the loss. they said geno shouldn't have had to play and the loss was on fitz.. after reading your above comments, I think you would agree with this poster.

nothing in his play to now says this. A rookie QB on a bad team setting records, comp. 66% ood his passes, more 2xs the number of TDs to INTs.  Better than we've had in forever.

he got his stats from 2 games one of which was the saints defense which has made every qb even sh*tty Kirk cousins look Marino

Watch the games.  Don't just read stats that pop up on your Google search

it's not lazy.  Lazy is looking at Foles stats from 2 years ago and saying "we don't run the offense but gosh darn if he's even half as good we are a super bowl team"

Foles wasn't required to make reads in Kelly's offense.  When he was he sucked just like he is now in St Louis or anywhere else.  Gailey's offense is not Kelly's offense.

you hate Geno -- Foles really isn't much better than Geno.

Archived