The Jets Secondary

varjet

Tough article from Costello today:

http://nypost.com/2015/11/17/why-jets-150m-secondary-is-in-danger-of-becoming-a-bust/

Don't know whether I agree with this entirely:

• If building a team for the long-term, Cromartie was a very bad signing.  He should be let go after this year.  He will have a much better year next year whereever he lands.  We must not be fooled or buy this again.
  • Revis is probably somewhat overpaid, but he is still very good.  The Jets can do that because they do not pay a QB.  Revis probably single-handedly won the team a few games earlier in the season.  The Jets should grin and bear this and develop CBs for the future-this should be Revis' last Jet contract.  I don't think the future is MacDougle and Milliner (that is the real problem).
  • Skrine is banged up.  Maybe he always will be.  But he did play well earlier.
  • Gilcrist has been good.
  • Others were on roster.  We don't need Jarrett back.  We likely should rely on other younger players on the roster and move on from Antonio Allen when he comes back (although I liked Allen)

The Jets are obviously in the playoff hunt.  If they are eliminated (which may not happen until week 16 or 17, if at all), they should play players that are the future, not the past.  

The Jets missed out on a very good CB in Kyle Fuller from Va. Tech, but took Pryor instead. THAT was a big mistake, just look at his stats in Chicago. Pryor hasn't come close to living up to first round status, but is improving. He will always be an in the box safety however and a liability in coverage. Jets need to learn to identify good CB's from bad. First of all if they have been injured in college STAY AWAY. Milliner and McDougle will ALWAYS be injury liabilities, because that is what they were in college.

I called out both the Cromartie and Skrine signings as dubious.  Cromartie should not see the field again this year barring major injuries.  I actually figured that the rose would come off the bloom for skrine before any other player.  The games I saw while he was in Cleveland he was awful.  I think Revis has been good, Gilchrist has been good, Pryor was looking good before getting hurt.  Williams has some warts but is not bad.  I still think one of McDougal or Milliner will turn out.

The Jets missed out on a very good CB in Kyle Fuller from Va. Tech, but took Pryor instead. THAT was a big mistake, just look at his stats in Chicago. Pryor hasn't come close to living up to first round status, but is improving. He will always be an in the box safety however and a liability in coverage. Jets need to learn to identify good CB's from bad. First of all if they have been injured in college STAY AWAY. Milliner and McDougle will ALWAYS be injury liabilities, because that is what they were in college.

I think you have posted this before and I have no idea what you are talking about.  Fuller went 14 overall and the Jets selected Pryor at 18.  FWIW, plenty said the Jets were very high on Fuller and planned to take him.  How can it be a mistake to do something you were incapable of doing?  He also had an injury history IIRC

If McDougle or Milliner could stay healthy, we might have actually gotten a chance to see what either looked like for real. They can't and Marcus Williams has risen in the ranks to be the next man up. He's very solid in coverage, but can't tackle or isn't willing to. Corner #2 from here on out should take the hot hand approach. Could be Cro, could be Williams, could be Walls. We'll see.

My theory on Revis is that he has been hampered by that hamstring all season.  I saw him getting some treatment on the sideline last Sunday.  And I keep reading in the papers things about Revis saying his hammy is fine, very other week or so after it gets tweaked. .  I expect him to be a little slower than he used to be.  But to me he looks a little less quick too.  Like his first step is a careful one

It is a damn shame that they weren't aware of this. Could have saved us all a lot of trouble. 

I don't think the Jets were going to take Fuller at all.  We drafted Milliner 9th overall the year before and he looked very good as if he had turned the corner the las1/3 of the season.   We did have a big hole at S and they chose pryor over Ha ha.

It wasn't me, but Aten/Miss Lonelyhearts said basically the Jets were all over Fuller and their plan was to take Beckham or Fuller and they had no fallback.  He made some comments about trying to move up and that players people like are hard to trade up for.  Milliner was not very relevant to the CB discussion.  Even counting him as a lock down #1 CB, they let Cro walk and signed NOBODY.  Dimitri Patterson in April.  They probably reached for McDougle because they needed a guy that would see the field. 

Antonio Cromartie believes he knows why his season 'hasn't been good'

• Youngmisuk_Ohm_m.jpg&w=65&h=65&scale=cro
    Ohm Youngmisuk, ESPN Staff Writer

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. –- By Antonio Cromartie's standards, this season has not been close to how he wants to play.

“For me, it hasn’t been good,” the New York Jets cornerback said when asked how he has played this season. “It’s not up to my standards and what I look for or what my teammates and organization looks for. It’s a long season and you just got to pick up from the previous week and continue to move on and let your play continue to improve.”

According to Pro Football Focus, Cromartie has surrendered six touchdowns in eight games this season.

The 10-year veteran, who missed last week’s loss to the Buffalo Bills with a quad injury, believes he knows why he has struggled at times this season.

Honestly, I think it is more so technique stuff,” Cromartie said. “I think I get myself in trouble trying to play the (opponent’s offensive) scheme and what they get so used to doing and then they change it up. It is just for me just go out and play football and not look at what the offense is lined up in. (NO SH!T SHERLOCK!)

“I think that is what got me in trouble the first half of the season,” Cromartie added. “Just play the way I need to and don’t think about what they are doing scheme-wise.”

Head coach Todd Bowles said that Cromartie, who was limited in practice on Wednesday, will remain a starter if he’s healthy enough to play against Houston on Sunday.

“Yes he would, because he is a starter,” Bowles said. “He earned it in summer camp and preseason and over the years. And we decided to start him.”

We missed out on a lot of players that we were not capable of drafting...the one that kills me the most is in the 2012 draft when the Jets missed out on Andrew Luck because we didn't have the number one overall pick :(. Don't forget we missed out on OBJ who was taken a few picks before us when we took Pryor too. As for Pryor being a liability in coverage he might not have to many passes deflected but he does have an INT for us this season and has made a few tackles that saved us from letting up big plays. I would say Mac has been pretty good at evaluating talent thus far especially at the CB position but he is working with the players who were handed to him by Rex and Idzik. Before you bring up that Macc brought in Cromartie I think its a pretty safe assumption that that was more of Bowels decision either way instead of dwelling on the mistakes that our former regime made maybe we could look forward to the future...or the season that we are not out of yet.

We missed out on a lot of players that we were not capable of drafting...the one that kills me the most is in the 2012 draft when the Jets missed out on Andrew Luck because we didn't have the number one overall pick :(. Don't forget we missed out on OBJ who was taken a few picks before us when we took Pryor too. As for Pryor being a liability in coverage he might not have to many passes deflected but he does have an INT for us this season and has made a few tackles that saved us from letting up big plays. I would say Mac has been pretty good at evaluating talent thus far especially at the CB position but he is working with the players who were handed to him by Rex and Idzik. Before you bring up that Macc brought in Cromartie I think its a pretty safe assumption that that was more of Bowels decision either way instead of dwelling on the mistakes that our former regime made maybe we could look forward to the future...or the season that we are not out of yet.

The Jets didnt miss out on OBJ he wasn't there when we picked its not like we passed him. 

If McDougle or Milliner could stay healthy, we might have actually gotten a chance to see what either looked like for real. They can't and Marcus Williams has risen in the ranks to be the next man up. He's very solid in coverage, but can't tackle or isn't willing to. Corner #2 from here on out should take the hot hand approach. Could be Cro, could be Williams, could be Walls. We'll see.

McDougle has been healthy for a while and we have been banged up in the secondary and yet he does not seem to be able to get much playing time.  Milliner is ready now and I don't see a headlong rush to start him either.

Maybe neither has been showing very much in practice.

The Jets didnt miss out on OBJ he wasn't there when we picked its not like we passed him. 

I think you missed the point...the guy I quoted on that was whining that we missed out on Kyle Fuller and took Pryor instead but Kyle Fuller was also gone before we drafted.

McDougle has been healthy for a while and we have been banged up in the secondary and yet he does not seem to be able to get much playing time.  Milliner is ready now and I don't see a headlong rush to start him either.

Maybe neither has been showing very much in practice.

I think both missed enough in training camp and preseason that the staffs didn't get enough chance to look. But I agree. I don't hold out much hope for either player. Walls and Williams are higher on the depth chart at this point and should be. 

For me the Cromartie signing was smart on a number of levels. He already had good chemistry with Revis, He had had an up year in Arizona, He came on a no-strings contract, and he was holding the fort until the Jets could see if McDougle and/or Milliner could step up. Has he played well? Overall, no. Still a good signing.

Thank you .....

Cro was a good stop gap player for the Jets this year,  People have to stop acting like the Jets chose Cro over Night Train Lane instead of guys who might not even belong on a NFL roster.....

Archived