Broncos are the ultimate example of Championships being won in the offseason

jetscrazey

Give credit where credit is due.  John Elway built a winner.  He inherited a team that had no direction after the Cutler and Tebow eras, and a failed HC in Josh McDaniels.  Elway turned it around in the way every team dreams about when they hire a new GM.  He had the trifecta of good drafting, even better in-league scouting, and recruiting ability for free agents.  Dude is a winner, no way around it.  I hope Maccagnan can have this kind of success here, but honestly being a former great player probably gave Elway an edge no other GM could have.

It started in the 2011 draft when they took Von Miller 2nd overall.  A lot of people may have been hesitant to take an "undersized" player 2nd overall, but Elway knew the type of talent he was dealing with.

Drafting comes down to superior scouting.  Looking at the Broncos drafts since 2011, it seems pretty much every player taken in the top 3 rounds has been/was a good contributor for that team.  Danny Travathan was a 6th round pick and now he's being talked about as one of the best free agent LBs out there this offseason.  Not only that, but Brandon Marshall the linebacker was signed off the Jags practice squad in late 2013.  Chris Harris was signed as an UNDRAFTED free agent in 2011

The next step was a QB.  Elway knew he had the clout to get Peyton Manning and he got it done.  Granted it wasn't the Peyton Manning of old after the first 2 seasons, but Elway was able to surround him with enough weapons.  Replacing Decker with Emmanuel Sanders gave them the big play ability they needed to complement Demaryus Thomas.  He signed Evan Mathis to shore up the o-line.

Elway also showed remarkable ability to improve the team's weaknesses without shortchanging the future.  In 2013, they came up short against a great Seahawks D.  Elway knew he needed to get better on D for this team to win a Super Bowl.  So he went out and got Aqib Talib and Demarcus Ware to complement Von Miller.  He drafted Bradley Roby because slot CBs are essential now too.  Bradley Roby too.  He drafted Shane Ray because he knew he would be an effective pass rush from day 1.  He hit home runs with both Marshall and Trevathan and, presto, the ingredients for an elite D were in place.  Getting Wade Phillips to run the D for Kubiak was the final piece to the puzzle for a great D.  To top if off, he had a head coach who he fully trusted and could communicate with in Kubiak.

In summary, Denver was just the most talented team in the league in 2015.  They weren't *great* during the regular season but still found a way to secure home field and have the #1 overall D by a wide margin, because they were the best roster.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Let's not get carried away,lol, everything fell into place to beat the Patriots. The Pats though I hate them with every ounce of my being would have been in the Super Bowl without all of their injuries. There was no way in hell the Broncos would have won in Gillette. 

But, it is what it is. Takes a lot of luck to win a Super Bowl too, and everything fell into place for their defense to beast out. 

For me this SB was as much a function of Elway as it was Manning himself. Manning is just so smart, it's like having a HC on the field. He can easily dissect defenses on the fly. Even after the injury, he still knew enough to get the Broncos offense out of bad plays and into better ones. There's a lot to be said for that, even if your still not throwing for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns per game.

12 hours ago, Mainejet said:

For me this SB was as much a function of Elway as it was Manning himself. Manning is just so smart, it's like having a HC on the field. He can easily dissect defenses on the fly. Even after the injury, he still knew enough to get the Broncos offense out of bad plays and into better ones. There's a lot to be said for that, even if your still not throwing for 400 yards and 4 touchdowns per game.

Manning did absolutely nothing to help Denver(other than maybe inspire his teammates).  all he did was make the defense work harder to overcome lack of scoring, the turnovers and awful sacks he took.

10 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Manning did absolutely nothing to help Denver(other than maybe inspire his teammates).  all he did was make the defense work harder to overcome lack of scoring, the turnovers and awful sacks he took.

You love Brady, you despise Manning and yet you call yourself a Jet fan. This is not being objective, this is being a troll. 

1 minute ago, Fibonacci said:

You love Brady, you despise Manning and yet you call yourself a Jet fan. This is not being objective, this is being a troll. 

I don't "love" Brady, I hate what he does but I appreciate greatness.  Brady is the best I have ever seen, Manning is a GREAT regular season QB.  the two aren't very close.  Just b/c you disagree(and can't prove me wrong) doesn't make me a troll.

40 minutes ago, Fibonacci said:

Nothing makes pats fans saltier than Peyton Manning's success. Maybe Eli beating them twice, and maybe the Jets doing well...but honestly nothing is more delicious than patriot tears for Peyton's success. nycjunk is proof positive 100% of that. Just look at all of the threads he's polluted with this nonsense since Peyton beat his beloved brady*. 

42 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

I don't "love" Brady, I hate what he does but I appreciate greatness.  Brady is the best I have ever seen, Manning is a GREAT regular season QB.  the two aren't very close.  Just b/c you disagree(and can't prove me wrong) doesn't make me a troll.

Peyton is 3-0 in the playoffs against Brady since spygate. The playoffs are not the regular season. He's also 3-2 overall in the playoffs against Brady. The playoffs are not the regular season. He also led the greatest comeback in playoff history (until the seahawks/packers in '14) against Brady. The playoffs are not the regular season. 

29 minutes ago, BroadwayJets said:

The FA acquisitions were primarily the 2014 offseason iirc: Sanders, Ward, Ware, Talib, etc. Credit to Wade Phillips for organizing that bunch and making them one of the best defenses in recent memory. 

Granted, he had a ton to work with, but man I love Wade Phillips the D Co-Ordinator.  The man can flat out coach that side of the game.

2 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Peyton is 3-0 in the playoffs against Brady since spygate. The playoffs are not the regular season. He's also 3-2 overall in the playoffs against Brady. The playoffs are not the regular season. He also led the greatest comeback in playoff history (until the seahawks/packers in '14) against Brady. The playoffs are not the regular season. 

2006 Brady had no run game and his main weapons were reche Caldwell and jabar Gaffney, Brady led his O to 27 points.  If Manning has that team they don't make the playoffs.

2013 Gronk was hurt and the Den D carried them

2015 the den D carried them.

Coming back from 21-6 at the half is not the greatest comeback in postseason history.  That's a 2 score game at the half and the reason they were down 21-6 was b/c Manning threw another pick 6.  He had a great 2nd half that day but that was rare for him in postseason.

Manning was dragged to 2 SB titles, Brady dragged his team to 4 SB teams.

9 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Nothing makes pats fans saltier than Peyton Manning's success. Maybe Eli beating them twice, and maybe the Jets doing well...but honestly nothing is more delicious than patriot tears for Peyton's success. nycjunk is proof positive 100% of that. Just look at all of the threads he's polluted with this nonsense since Peyton beat his beloved brady*. 

I deal in reality.  the Manning brothers Ds beat Brady 4 times, congrats to them.  Doesn't change the fact that Brady is head and shoulders better than Peyton.  Brady has never played on a team where he can play like Peyton played this postseason and win a SB.

55 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Playoffs head to head Manning 3 wins Brady 2 wins.

4 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

Playoffs head to head Manning 3 wins Brady 2 wins.

awesome, he had more talented teams every time and played 3 of 5 at home.  the 2006 Pats shouldn't have been in the playoffs and they were playing for the SB, Manning on that team and they aren't anywhere near the playoffs.  This year peyton did all he could to give NE the game but the bronco D was better than any pats D by a wide margin.

w/ less talent around him Brady has more div titles, more conf titles, more SB titles, more title game apps and he has played less seasons.  the two aren't close.

5 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

This is one of the more stupid things you have said re QB's among a legion of stupid things.

if you say it is stupid it must mean I am right b/c you are clueless.

Peyton 2 SB winning runs:

D allowed 12.8 PPG in 2006

D allowed 14.7 PPG in 2015

Peyton led Os to 19.5 PPG

Brady 4 SB winning runs:

D allowed 15.7 PPG in 2001

D allowed 19 PPG in 2003

D allowed 17 PPG in 2004

D allowed 20.7 PPG in 2015

In SB losses:

Brady led 80 yd TD drive to give NE 4 pt lead in final minutes in 2007

Brady left field in final minutes w/ lead in 2011

Manning, trailing by only 7, threw pick 6 to end all hopes in 2009

Manning led O to 8 garbage time pts against Seattle in 2014(same Seattle D Brady led NE back from 10 down in 4th qtr to beat a year later).

In 2003 SB the NE D allowed 19 pts in the FOURTH QUARTER, in both SB wins for Manning his D allowed 10 pts each time.

In 4 SBs Manning has 3 TDs and 5 INTs, 2 INTs returned for TDs(only 1 less pick 6 than TD thrown), led O to 16 PPG.

Brady in 6 has 13 TDs and 4 INTs(despite playing more games has less INts and zero pick 6's by the way), led O to 21.3 PPG and has 3 4th qtr game winning drives where Peyton has ZERO.

basically, unless Peyton's D play out of their minds he can't win a SB. 

6 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Brady 4 SB winning runs:

D allowed 19 PPG in 2003

D allowed 17 PPG in 2004

In SB losses:

Manning led O to 8 garbage time pts against Seattle in 2014(same Seattle D Brady led NE back from 10 down in 4th qtr to beat a year later).

In 2003 SB the NE D allowed 19 pts in the FOURTH QUARTER, in both SB wins for Manning his D allowed 10 pts each time.

In 4 SBs Manning has 3 TDs and 5 INTs, 2 INTs returned for TDs(only 1 less pick 6 than TD thrown), led O to 16 PPG.

Brady in 6 has 13 TDs and 4 INTs(despite playing more games has less INts and zero pick 6's by the way), led O to 21.3 PPG and has 3 4th qtr game winning drives where Peyton has ZERO.

Tom Brady without cheating:

0 Superbowl appearances

Wal Mart greeter

tl;dr anything the greatest pats homer on this site @nyjunc says. It's so convenient that when anyone brings up stats for Peyton, all that matters is winning. And when someone brings up Peyton's winning record in the playoffs against brady, it has nothing to do with Peyton. And when the patriots win* anything, it's all 100% because brady is the goat. belly gets no credit, the defense gets no credit, the wrs get no credit. And when the patriots lose, it's because ghost-kowski missed an extra point with 55 minutes left in the game or because the offensive line sucked or because wrs couldn't catch the ball....blah blah blah.

End of the day, 3 out of 5 is more than 2 out of 5. That's where it is between Peyton and brady*. I won't even go into the fact that Brady doesn't have a single super bowl win to his name without the dark cloud of cheating over him, nor does he have a single postseason victory over Peyton since they took his cameras away. You want to believe that those scandals had nothing to do with anything? Fine. Even so, Peyton: 3, Brady: 2 in playoffs where it matters the most. 

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

tl;dr anything the greatest pats homer on this site @nyjunc says. It's so convenient that when anyone brings up stats for Peyton, all that matters is winning. And when someone brings up Peyton's winning record in the playoffs against brady, it has nothing to do with Peyton. And when the patriots win* anything, it's all 100% because brady is the goat. belly gets no credit, the defense gets no credit, the wrs get no credit. And when the patriots lose, it's because ghost-kowski missed an extra point with 55 minutes left in the game or because the offensive line sucked or because wrs couldn't catch the ball....blah blah blah.

End of the day, 3 out of 5 is more than 2 out of 5. That's where it is between Peyton and brady*. I won't even go into the fact that Brady doesn't have a single super bowl win to his name without the dark cloud of cheating over him, nor does he have a single postseason victory over Peyton since they took his cameras away. You want to believe that those scandals had nothing to do with anything? Fine. Even so, Peyton: 3, Brady: 2 in playoffs where it matters the most. 

that is your response?  hahahaha

where it matters most is w/ less talent: 6 SBs to 4, 4 SB wins to 2.  head to head record owned by Brady and he didn't need an all world D performance to win his SBs.

5 minutes ago, greenwichjetfan said:

Brady was totally along for the ride on the first 3 Pats "championships*." Those were all defense and Viniateri. BB's defense won those championships, NOT Brady. Brady was barely more than a bystander, with Charlie Weis in his ear during live play telling him who to throw to. 

Peyton Manning's dumps are more impressive than Tom Brady.

2 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Brady was totally along for the ride on the first 3 Pats "championships*." Those were all defense and Viniateri. BB's defense won those championships, NOT Brady. Brady was barely more than a bystander, with Charlie Weis in his ear during live play telling him who to throw to. 

Peyton Manning's dumps are more impressive than Tom Brady.

yep, the team that was 5-11 in 2000 then started 0-2 in 2001 before Brady took over leading them to an 11-3 record was clearly along for the ride.  add in 2 SB winning drives where his D failed late and yep he was along for the ride.

you want an example of a defense winning championships see 2006 Colts, 2015 Broncos.

48 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

Brady 4 SB winning runs:

D allowed 19 PPG in 2003

D allowed 17 PPG in 2004

In SB losses:

You cherry pickin' fool. 

Brady once led a record setting offense into a Super Bowl against a defense that was 17th in scoring and 13th in DVOA and he could only muster 14 measly points. It's maybe the most disappointing performance on the big stage by an allegedly elite quarterback I have ever seen. The GOAT doesn't choke on the big stage against a mediocre defense. Brady choked. 

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

yep, the team that was 5-11 in 2000 then started 0-2 in 2001 before Brady took over leading them to an 11-3 record was clearly along for the ride.  add in 2 SB winning drives where his D failed late and yep he was along for the ride.

you want an example of a defense winning championships see 2006 Colts, 2015 Broncos.

The defense stepped up because they were playing with an inexperienced QB. Happens all the time. Brady wasn't close to being the primary reason they won in 2001. He was like 15th at best. 

9 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

You mean the 2006 Colts who were 21st in total defense, 23rd in scoring defense and 25th in DVOA? The defense that shat the bed in the first half of the AFC Championship Game, causing Peyton Manning to lead a still record comeback in the 2nd half?

So I guess Peyton wasn't brilliant in the second half of that game AND Brady didn't choke according to you?

What other mystical force won that game for the Colts?

13 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

You cherry pickin' fool. 

Brady once led a record setting offense into a Super Bowl against a defense that was 17th in scoring and 13th in DVOA and he could only muster 14 measly points. It's maybe the most disappointing performance on the big stage by an allegedly elite quarterback I have ever seen. The GOAT doesn't choke on the big stage against a mediocre defense. Brady choked. 

who cares about reg season rankings? the Giant D was GREAT that postseason and Brady didn't have a good SB BUT w/ the game on the line late what did he do? led his O 80 yds for TD to put them up 14-10 w/ a few mins to play.

12 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

The defense stepped up because they were playing with an inexperienced QB. Happens all the time. Brady wasn't close to being the primary reason they won in 2001. He was like 15th at best. 

No Brady in 2001, no playoffs, no SB, BB likely DC somewhere today.  Their D played well that year, the ONLY postseason they played well BUT they also became the FIRST D in the HISTORY of the SB to blow a double digit 4th qtr lead and as soon as they did that Brady led one of the greatest drives in SB history to win it.

2 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

You mean the 2006 Colts who were 21st in total defense, 23rd in scoring defense and 25th in DVOA? The defense that shat the bed in the first half of the AFC Championship Game, causing Peyton Manning to lead a still record comeback in the 2nd half?

So I guess Peyton wasn't brilliant in the second half of that game AND Brady didn't choke according to you?

What other mystical force won that game for the Colts?

No, the 2006 Colts who allowed 12.8 PPg in the playoffs.

The D allowed 14 pts in the first half of the title game, not great but far from "sh*tting the bed".  the QB threw a pick 6 to make it 21-3, doing what he always does in postseason.

Peyton was brilliant in the 2nd half, a rare time when he played like reg season Peyton in the playoffs.  it was his only good half of that 4 game postseason run. 

Brady led his O(again w/ top weapons Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney) to 27 points.  Know what the average pts Peyton has led his O's to in playoff losses is? 14.1 PPG

2 minutes ago, nyjunc said:

who cares about reg season rankings? the Giant D was GREAT that postseason and Brady didn't have a good SB BUT w/ the game on the line late what did he do? led his O 80 yds for TD to put them up 14-10 w/ a few mins to play.

No Brady in 2001, no playoffs, no SB, BB likely DC somewhere today.  Their D played well that year, the ONLY postseason they played well BUT they also became the FIRST D in the HISTORY of the SB to blow a double digit 4th qtr lead and as soon as they did that Brady led one of the greatest drives in SB history to win it.

No, the 2006 Colts who allowed 12.8 PPg in the playoffs.

The D allowed 14 pts in the first half of the title game, not great but far from "sh*tting the bed".  the QB threw a pick 6 to make it 21-3, doing what he always does in postseason.

Peyton was brilliant in the 2nd half, a rare time when he played like reg season Peyton in the playoffs.  it was his only good half of that 4 game postseason run. 

Brady led his O(again w/ top weapons Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney) to 27 points.  Know what the average pts Peyton has led his O's to in playoff losses is? 14.1 PPG

Dude.

He "led" them on about a 40-yard drive to get into position for a very missable 48-yard field goal. A great QB scores a TD or gets his team into position for a gimme. 

Brady was average at best that day. His work on that final "drive" was at Geno Smith level. 

The gap between us and them, fans and franchise alike, at least prior to this regime, is pretty hilarious. Peyton wanted nothing to do with us and everything to do with them. They realized Tebow was hot garbage and found someone dumb enough willing to give up picks for him in us. They dump a coach with four straight years in the playoffs, including a Super Bowl appearance, and nobody bats an eye while the Jets dump a coach with four straight years of no playoffs and everyone loses their minds. Bizarro worlds.

2 minutes ago, RutgersJetFan said:

The gap between us and them, fans and franchise alike, at least prior to this regime, is pretty hilarious. Peyton wanted nothing to do with us and everything to do with them. They realized Tebow was hot garbage and found someone dumb enough willing to give up picks for him in us. They dump a coach with four straight years in the playoffs, including a Super Bowl appearance, and nobody bats an eye while the Jets dump a coach with four straight years of no playoffs and everyone loses their minds. Bizarro worlds.

But in all fairness, who would you rather have a beer with, Rexy or Fox? 

A little thing I like to call priorities.

21 minutes ago, Klecko73isGod said:

Dude.

He "led" them on about a 40-yard drive to get into position for a very missable 48-yard field goal. A great QB scores a TD or gets his team into position for a gimme. 

Brady was average at best that day. His work on that final "drive" was at Geno Smith level. 

haha, that is a good one.

NE took over at their 17 yard line w/ 1:21 to play and no timeouts w/ a first year starting QB.  He set them up for a very makeable FG but he should have led them to a TD needing only 3 to winsmiley-laughing024.gif

Geno Smith levelsmileyslaughinganimal_duck_lol_100-100.g

In 2012 at HOME in the div rd in a tie game w/ 31 secs and TWO timeouts left, Denver took a knee rather than trust Peyton Manning to get into FG range.  NE trusted a 1st year starter w/ the SB on the line.  Den was wise as Peyton eventually threw away that game against Baltimore despite Denver scoring 2 non offensive TDs.

Archived