Sizing up MLBs

Fed Hill Jet

We've all heard that Darron Lee is too small to play MLB and is gonna just suck next year. 

This has been bothering me, so I looked into the top MLB's ever to get a better idea of size and shape.  This list came from a 2014 football site, Athlon sport life I think,  so Luke Keuchly is not on it and you may not agree with the ranking but I think it represents a pretty comprehensive list. 

Regardless, its a pretty good comparison of the best MLB's and its pretty telling.  This basically tells me that Darron Lee falls above average in height (go figure) and just below average in weight to some of the "prototypical" MLB's in history.  His height listing has been 6'1 or 6'2 but I put him at 6'1.  His weight has ranged from 229 in his OSU stats to 232 in his draft profile. I went with 232 since he is only getting bigger than his college weight. 

I included one of my fav's on the list - Kyle Clifton, who is actually bigger than D Lee in both categories...hmmm

I would really like to know where this tag is coming from that he is small.  Please tell me where I am going wrong.  Of course, we may hear that its base 3-4 blah blah...Ray Lewis did fine in both bases and honestly, today's D coordinators run so many different schemes based on their own talent and the offensive personnel does this even matter any more?  Anyhow, the list below includes MLBs who played in 4-3, 3-4, 46, 5-2 etc.... 

He's right in the average range of the best MLBs ever to play the game then, physically he's got it.  When he goes out on the field, he will look like a MLB.

So I think beyond the physical it comes down to mind and heart.  Does he have the passion for the game and the desire to be the best?  I like what I have seen from him so far, but only time will tell... 

MLB name Height H-inches Weight
Ray Lewis  6-1      73 245
Jack Lambert 6-4     76 220
Dick Butkus  6-3     75 245
Mike Singletary  6-0      72 230
Ray Nitschke 6-3      75 235
Bill George 6-2      74 237
Junior Seau  6-3      75 250
Chuck Bednarik  6-3      75 233
Nick Buoniconti  5-11      71 220
Brian Urlacher   6-4      76 258
Patrick Willis   6-1      73 242
Joe Schmidt   6-1      73 220
Willie Lanier   6-1      73 245
Sam Huff   6-1      73 230
Harry Carson   6-2      74 237
Lee Roy Jordan   6-1      73 221
Zach Thomas   5-11      71 230
Randy Gradishar   6-3      75 233
Les Richter   6-3      75 238
Karl Mecklenburg   6-3      75 240
Ken Norton Jr.   6-2      74 254
James Farrior   6-2      74 242
Hardy Nickerson   6-2      74 230
London Fletcher   5-10      70 245
Tedy Bruschi   6-1      73 247
Kyle Clifton   6-4      76 236
Darron Lee   6-2      74 232
Average   73.77778 236.8519
Mean   73.7619 236.6408
Low number   70 220
High number   76 258

Nice work, but I think we read to much into his postion. In the modern NFL the sub package, usually Nickle D, Is used most of the time. 

It's what Lee's been drafted for, not to be a beast against the run but to cover backs out the backfield, Tight Ends, and Slot guys.

He's the new Moneybacker has some call it, or Hybrid LB/S. Either way he may be fast but can he actually cover time will tell.

TBH, I don't think Lee will actually be "Lined Up" in any typical position.

Like Buchanon on Arizona, Bowles will be moving this guy all over the field.

His ability to grasp his assignments will determine his impact this yr.

It may prove difficult for OL trying to get to him at the 2nd level because of his speed.

A lot of those guys weren't at those weights when they 1st came into the league, Teddy Bruschi @ 247? Doubt he was that weight as a rookie. The best comparisons are the Davis & Keuckly from the Panthers, Bobby Wagner, guys like that. The 1st time he comes flying in like missile to take down RB on a swing pass or breaks up a pass on a wheel right, Jet fans will be like, "oh, ok, now I know why Bowles liked this guy".

Lee has said since he was drafted that he is 237/238 now.  The 232 even though it really doesn't matter is what he weighed at the combine I think and probably what he will end up weighing at the end of his rookie year (which is normal for rookies) as his body adjusts and he figures out a nutrition plan that helps him retain those extra 6 pounds in the future.  But I agree with others, it really doesn't matter, he looks strong and fast and that is what is more important.

7 hours ago, BurnleyJet said:

Nice work, but I think we read to much into his postion. In the modern NFL the sub package, usually Nickle D, Is used most of the time. 

It's what Lee's been drafted for, not to be a beast against the run but to cover backs out the backfield, Tight Ends, and Slot guys.

He's the new Moneybacker has some call it, or Hybrid LB/S. Either way he may be fast but can he actually cover time will tell.

Totally agree

Lee compares favorably to a majority of everyone on the list. 

Unfortunately, a majority of the players on this list came from the 1940s. 

Thats like saying I'm "computer savvy" compared to a list of businessmen from the early 70s. 

2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:
2 hours ago, Greenseed4 said:

The Moneybacker has no equals. 

No lists can list him.

He doesn't even play a position. 

Lee compares favorably to a majority of everyone on the list. 

Unfortunately, a majority of the players on this list came from the 1940s. 

Thats like saying I'm "computer savvy" compared to a list of businessmen from the early 70s. 

That's funny...You may want to read the list again.  As I mentioned before, disagree with the names on the list?  Then add more and better comparisons.  This is basically some of the best ever, unfortunately not all of them played since you started watching football. 

Hows this:

Average   73.45455 243.9091

Add Luke Kuechly if you want. 

If I recall, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs were pretty computer saavy in the 70's  How are their companies doing now?  ;-)

Glad you enjoyed the list. 

19 hours ago, Fed Hill Jet said:

This has been bothering me,

Why has this bothered you ?  What sense does it make to have 2 ILBer at 250 lbs,  when neither can cover or make plays from sideline to sideline ? What the Jets have now, is what they should always have had.  Harris to blow up the LOS and make the hole that hopefully Lee can storm through and send Tom Brady into force retirement . 

Many people said that Lee would suck because of his weight. Those same people changed their tune the moment they heard the weight of Luke Kuechly. Then all of a sudden they now state comparisons to Luke Kuechly.

Telvin Smith is a hair over 220LBS and he's one of the best linebackers in all of football. 

Just ignore the noise. We'll find out what Lee is once football starts. 

2 hours ago, Tinstar said:

Why has this bothered you ?  What sense does it make to have 2 ILBer at 250 lbs,  when neither can cover or make plays from sideline to sideline ? What the Jets have now, is what they should always have had.  Harris to blow up the LOS and make the hole that hopefully Lee can storm through and send Tom Brady into force retirement . 

Clearly you get it

Johnathan Vilma 6 1" 230. Led the saints defense to a championship.  Thank you for this post, it demonstrates how confused some folks on this site are.  Lee is slightly taller than the average, that is fact, meaning every post about his size has been non factual psycho babble. 

On May 21, 2016 at 1:59 AM, Fed Hill Jet said:

We've all heard that Darron Lee is too small to play MLB and is gonna just suck next year. 

This has been bothering me, so I looked into the top MLB's ever to get a better idea of size and shape.  This list came from a 2014 football site, Athlon sport life I think,  so Luke Keuchly is not on it and you may not agree with the ranking but I think it represents a pretty comprehensive list. 

Regardless, its a pretty good comparison of the best MLB's and its pretty telling.  This basically tells me that Darron Lee falls above average in height (go figure) and just below average in weight to some of the "prototypical" MLB's in history.  His height listing has been 6'1 or 6'2 but I put him at 6'1.  His weight has ranged from 229 in his OSU stats to 232 in his draft profile. I went with 232 since he is only getting bigger than his college weight. 

I included one of my fav's on the list - Kyle Clifton, who is actually bigger than D Lee in both categories...hmmm

I would really like to know where this tag is coming from that he is small.  Please tell me where I am going wrong.  Of course, we may hear that its base 3-4 blah blah...Ray Lewis did fine in both bases and honestly, today's D coordinators run so many different schemes based on their own talent and the offensive personnel does this even matter any more?  Anyhow, the list below includes MLBs who played in 4-3, 3-4, 46, 5-2 etc.... 

He's right in the average range of the best MLBs ever to play the game then, physically he's got it.  When he goes out on the field, he will look like a MLB.

So I think beyond the physical it comes down to mind and heart.  Does he have the passion for the game and the desire to be the best?  I like what I have seen from him so far, but only time will tell... 

Jack Lambert 6-4     76 220
Dick Butkus  6-3     75 245
Mike Singletary  6-0      72 230
Ray Nitschke 6-3      75 235
Bill George 6-2      74 237
Chuck Bednarik  6-3      75 233
Nick Buoniconti  5-11      71 220
Joe Schmidt   6-1      73 220
Willie Lanier   6-1      73 245
Sam Huff   6-1      73 230
Harry Carson   6-2      74 237
Lee Roy Jordan   6-1      73 221
Randy Gradishar   6-3      75 233
Les Richter   6-3      75 238
Kyle Clifton   6-4      76 236
Darron Lee   6-2      74 232
Average   73.77778 236.8519
Mean   73.7619 236.6408
Low number   70 220
High number   76 258

Wow, so like every rookie in the history of the NFL, he has to get a bit more muscle and learn how to make the jump from college to pro ball. What a revelation. That really discounts him from being a good player in the NFL. Don't worry though, the Jets have a coaching staff and a practice facility and weight room with trainers at Florham park.

Archived