Ryan Fitzpatrick clear he wants to play for the Jets

Jetfan13

19 hours ago, Jetfan13 said:

For 7, 8 mill? Yes. Not for what he is asking. Having said that, if Geno is our starter week #1 I AM THROUGH. I would rather see Petty or Hackenberg cause they might surprise us, we know what Geno is.

No matter what happens, you will NEVER be through.  You may want to be through, but you will be dragged back in because you are a lifer.  It's like being being irrationally attached to a woman that treats you like sh*t.  You know you should kick her to the curb, but you are still attracted to her for some reason.   

• Replies 263
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Green DNA said:

No matter what happens, you will NEVER be through.  You may want to be through, but you will be dragged back in because you are a lifer.  It's like being being irrationally attached to a woman that treats you like sh*t.  You know you should kick her to the curb, but you are still attracted to her for some reason.   

Why I oughta.....

1 hour ago, jack48 said:

I do think that a healthy Fitz is an 8-8 guy with this schedule.  More fun to watch than 5-11, but not worth the cash.

I know people look at this differently, and you can see teams make a big leap forward or back from one year to the next.  Hey kind of like the Jets did last year from the year before. 

But I believe there is also something in the idea of building a winning tradition, and not throwing it away to see what some 4th year player who has mostly sucked might have.  But on the winning tradition part, you build up a commitment to the team by vets, and show the young guys how it is done, over time.  Your CS builds an effective interactive dynamic with the players, giving them confidence they can win in the future by showing them they have won together in the past. 

It's not everything, not at all.  But I think those who think the FO can lightly afford to accept a total down year WHEN THEY REALLY DON'T HAVE TO is not accurate.  Something will be lost, and it makes it that much harder to get it back.

Ok, that 11mil story yesterday was a bit worrisome.  But now back to reality.  OTAs going on as we discuss.  Geno beat Fitz last offseason and he now has the luxury of practicing with the guys w/o Fitz around.

Just think, Geno is now under center working with Marshall, Decker, Devin, Forte and Amaro.  Macc and Bowles have front row seats to the best offense we've had in over a decade.  Hopefully by the end of OTAs, Fitz and his insane demands, are a thing for some other team to worry about.

Get er done Geno!

Here's an example of what the rest of the football world thinks about our QB situation, sans Fitz. Pay attention to those last two sentences:

Enough of one that Rotoworld ranked their quarterback depth chart the weakest in the NFL.

Here is their reasoning:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the Jets’ best quarterback since Chad Pennington. So naturally they’re playing hardball with him, making him toil for a lowball offer. If the Ivy League-educated Fitz decides to cut his losses and move on with his life — there have been reports that he is willing to retire — Gang Green will have a Three Stooges episode where their quarterback room is supposed to be. Geno Smith has a career 72.3 QB rating. Christian Hackenberg hasn’t been good since he was a freshman in college. Bryce Petty is just now learning what an “under” coverage is from Madden. Fitzpatrick, of course, is no one’s idea of a franchise player, but he’s Joe Montana compared to the trio left in his wake. The Jets will vie for a Wild Card spot if they bring back Fitz. They’ll compete for the No. 1 overall pick if they don’t.

11 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Here's an example of what the rest of the football world thinks about our QB situation, sans Fitz. Pay attention to those last two sentences:

Enough of one that Rotoworld ranked their quarterback depth chart the weakest in the NFL.

Here is their reasoning:

Ryan Fitzpatrick was the Jets’ best quarterback since Chad Pennington. So naturally they’re playing hardball with him, making him toil for a lowball offer. If the Ivy League-educated Fitz decides to cut his losses and move on with his life — there have been reports that he is willing to retire — Gang Green will have a Three Stooges episode where their quarterback room is supposed to be. Geno Smith has a career 72.3 QB rating. Christian Hackenberg hasn’t been good since he was a freshman in college. Bryce Petty is just now learning what an “under” coverage is from Madden. Fitzpatrick, of course, is no one’s idea of a franchise player, but he’s Joe Montana compared to the trio left in his wake. The Jets will vie for a Wild Card spot if they bring back Fitz. They’ll compete for the No. 1 overall pick if they don’t.

Call me nuts, but the best, most informative opinions on Jet related issues come from boards like this.  Not from sites or writers just doing their jobs glossing over many teams.  

Everyone here is extremely invested in the team.  We watch every game, every play and discuss (sometimes ad nauseam) every possible outcome.

I respect the opinions of even the guys I disagree with the most here, over outside opinions.

The posted "story" is just that.  A story written by some guy who's not invested in the team, giving his half-assed opinion.

19 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

Here is their reasoning:

I'd rather have the 1st pick. 

53 minutes ago, JiF said:

These are the same coaches that had him as their starter before he went and got his jaw broken.

Reportedly.

This is the same GM playing hardball with Fitz who have drafted QB's in 2 consecutive years.

Smartest thing I think he's done.  Have no trouble with limiting cost, and certainly not with drafting young QB's to develop.

And this isnt about Geno, it's about moving on from someone that does nothing for the future of the team.

Every discussion about QB is about Geno, because every option that includes "do not resign Fitz" or "or do not sign a Veteran QB" by definition means we are starting Geno Smith.

Hack and Petty will not play a snap in 2016 outside of injury replacement service.  You may want to come to terms with that now.

Signing a guy to maybe go 8-8 is pointless Jets stupidity, so I'm sure we'll do it. 

If Macc and Bowles thought 8-8 was the best this roster could do vs. this schedule, you'd be right.  We could just as easily, and more cheaply, lose with Geno.

Clearly they may think otherwise.

You're adhere to pampers and hand holding.  I dont.

And you're simply wrong on this point.  Unready 2nd tier prospect mid-round QB's tossed to the wolves in their rookie years do not succeed in this league.  For every Manning, there are a hundred Patrick Ramsey.

Hack at one point with the #1 QB prospect in the land.

As a freshman coming out of high school.  It's a long ways from then.

He was the household name before the pre-draft hype built up guys you've never heard of before.

So?

Petty had a year.  How long does it take?

As long as it takes.  For Petty, at minimum, another year (if ever).  For Hack, minimum two years, at least.  

Unless they show otherwise to the Coaches (and to us in Preseason).

History has shown, the guys who start D1 are the ones who develop.

The % of "start day 1" successes is far smaller than the % of "start day 1 failures".  Giving them time raises that % chance of success.

I think some of the offer speculation is dictated by available funds.  But I see your point.  I think they know they have an aging offense and think Fitz is the best option.  And that's fine, if you're looking at a season by season.

I presume they're looking both short and long term.  Fitz today, kids under him.  Kids next year or in 2017.

My problem with that is, what good does that do?  What do you have to show for last year?

Implication being anything less that a Super Bowl win is irrelevant and losing 16 games would be better somehow??

Once again, I think you severely under appreciate the value of being a consistently winning, consistently competitive team.

You really think something is going to change?  Do you think Fitz gets the Jets to the playoffs?   I sure as hell dont.  So what's the point?   

I think he, and this roster, can, yes.

Will he?  No idea, probably not, the odds and schedule difficulty cannot be ignored.

The argument is Fitz will ensure we remain competative and a winning team.  Geno, and lol the Kids, are far less likely to do so.

12 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Especially considering we now know how Fitz performs under pressure.

agreed. FITZ is a paper Tiger given the door by what?  5 previous teams?   Yet we have fans here acting like he will "keep us competitive".

Geno NEVER had anywhere near the talent Fitz was provided and as a rookie won 8 games.     FITZ book is written. a 10 year journey man with a losing record, no playoffs and JETS fans

with such low self esteem anointing him.

agreed. FITZ is a paper Tiger given the door by what?  5 previous teams?   Yet we have fans here acting like he will "keep us competitive".

Geno NEVER had anywhere near the talent Fitz was provided and as a rookie won 8 games.     FITZ book is written. a 10 year journey man with a losing record, no playoffs and JETS fans

Come CPA, don't you know Fitz broke all kind of Jets passing records last season?

12 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

Right.  It sucks because I like Bowles, but he created this mess by not playing Geno when ready.  Perhaps it was because he was a rookie HC in NY and wanted to play it safe, but it's what has now led us here.

Fitz has spent his entire career with potentially the best job in football.  Making millions a year for 11 years being friendly with teammates and filling in when needed.  Bouncing around from team to team when he got too big for his britches.  Never having any pressure on him.  It's amazing he's been able to make as much as he has.  

He's definitely good enough to have had a long career as a quality backup, but he's made a ton of money too!  I guess it's the whole Harvard thing and the fact his teammates love him that continues to get him bigger deals that eventually leave teams F-ed.  I'd really prefer not being one of those teams.  He has officially gotten too big for his britches in NY now.

If Bowles had played Geno, we'd be able to pay Fitz for what he is.  An ideal backup who will know the playbook, get along with the guys and can fill in for a few games when needed.  Keeping things respectable.  Say for 3-5mil a year.

Instead we're now faced with potentially tripling-down (or more) on a guy who's had a cake career ripping off gullible teams/fans.

C'mon Macc n Bowles, you're better than this.  Right?

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Right.  It sucks because I like Bowles, but he created this mess by not playing Geno when ready.  Perhaps it was because he was a rookie HC in NY and wanted to play it safe, but it's what has now led us here.

Fitz has spent his entire career with potentially the best job in football.  Making millions a year for 11 years being friendly with teammates and filling in when needed.  Bouncing around from team to team when he got too big for his britches.  Never having any pressure on him.  It's amazing he's been able to make as much as he has.  

He's definitely good enough to have had a long career as a quality backup, but he's made a ton of money too!  I guess it's the whole Harvard thing and the fact his teammates love him that continues to get him bigger deals that eventually leave teams F-ed.  I'd really prefer not being one of those teams.  He has officially gotten too big for his britches in NY now.

If Bowles had played Geno, we'd be able to pay Fitz for what he is.  An ideal backup who will know the playbook, get along with the guys and can fill in for a few games when needed.  Keeping things respectable.  Say for 3-5mil a year.

Instead we're now faced with potentially tripling-down (or more) on a guy who's had a cake career ripping off gullible teams/fans.

C'mon Macc n Bowles, you're better than this.  Right?

No they aren't. They both have proved themselves fools. Instead of rolling with geno and giving us a top 5 pick next year for a quarterback they instead: signed a bunch of old role players, getting rid of comp picks. Drafted hackensack over paxton lynch and now are going to restructure multiple contracts for players 30+, to sign RYAN ******* Fitzpatrick.

they will both be fired by 2018, hopefully the end of this year.

1 minute ago, Colgateman said:

No they aren't. They both have proved themselves fools. Instead of rolling with geno and giving us a top 5 pick next year for a quarterback they instead: signed a bunch of old role players, getting rid of comp picks. Drafted hackensack over paxton lynch and now are going to restructure multiple contracts for players 30+, to sign RYAN ******* Fitzpatrick.

they will both be fired by 2018, hopefully the end of this year.

Can't agree with ya completely.  I'm fine with the Hack pick.  Believe Forte is much more than a role player (if only for a couple years) and certainly don't think starting Geno means a top 5 pick.  

Though, if the choice is between Geno getting us a top 5 pick and paying Fitz big to fall short of the playoffs and land us the 20th pick...  gimme Geno and top 5.

Smith Fans crack me up.  I guess they not only are not embarrassed about blaming all his awful failures on others, they literally did not see how his errors were unforced, all on him.  Interceptions off tipped balls?  Nah, just throw it right to the (unseen) defender the way Smith prefers.  And why pay attention to where you are on the field when you can always keep your loyal fans despite making otherwise hugely amusing mistakes?  How about a little creativity like a basketball move switching the ball in your hands behind your back?  Oh, whoops!  His Fans still love him. 

Best of all probably was playing like sh!t in every game that counted in your second year.  Who needs improvement?  I can just keep the love by beating up on old Miami in the last game my Fans remember.

I've never seen such misplaced loyalty in my life.

4 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

You won't have to look hard.  Just look at any team that has given Fitz a big contract.  You'll find it.

You are  big pom pom waver when it comes to Smith.  I get it.  I think he sucks. No wait,  I KNOW he sucks. 

As for this "point" you think you are making, who has suggested that some other team should give big money to Fitzpatrick?

I was talking about the incomprehensible level of Smith Love around here.  The guy blows chunks, but then I watch the games and understand what I am seeing.  All I see from your side is wishful thinking and what might be a general misunderstanding of the game.

(trying hard to be generous here...)

3 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

You are  big pom pom waver when it comes to Smith.  I get it.  I think he sucks. No wait,  I KNOW he sucks. 

As for this "point" you think you are making, who has suggested that some other team should give big money to Fitzpatrick?

I was talking about the incomprehensible level of Smith Love around here.  The guy blows chunks, but then I watch the games and understand what I am seeing.  All I see from your side is wishful thinking and what might be a general misunderstanding of the game.

after 3 seasons in the league what was your opinion of Fitz?

1 hour ago, Warfish said:

Reportedly.

Smartest thing I think he's done.  Have no trouble with limiting cost, and certainly not with drafting young QB's to develop.

Every discussion about QB is about Geno, because every option that includes "do not resign Fitz" or "or do not sign a Veteran QB" by definition means we are starting Geno Smith.

Hack and Petty will not play a snap in 2016 outside of injury replacement service.  You may want to come to terms with that now.

If Macc and Bowles thought 8-8 was the best this roster could do vs. this schedule, you'd be right.  We could just as easily, and more cheaply, lose with Geno.

Clearly they may think otherwise.

And you're simply wrong on this point.  Unready 2nd tier prospect mid-round QB's tossed to the wolves in their rookie years do not succeed in this league.  For every Manning, there are a hundred Patrick Ramsey.

As a freshman coming out of high school.  It's a long ways from then.

So?

As long as it takes.  For Petty, at minimum, another year (if ever).  For Hack, minimum two years, at least.  

Unless they show otherwise to the Coaches (and to us in Preseason).

The % of "start day 1" successes is far smaller than the % of "start day 1 failures".  Giving them time raises that % chance of success.

I presume they're looking both short and long term.  Fitz today, kids under him.  Kids next year or in 2017.

Implication being anything less that a Super Bowl win is irrelevant and losing 16 games would be better somehow??

Once again, I think you severely under appreciate the value of being a consistently winning, consistently competitive team.

I think he, and this roster, can, yes.

Will he?  No idea, probably not, the odds and schedule difficulty cannot be ignored.

The argument is Fitz will ensure we remain competative and a winning team.  Geno, and lol the Kids, are far less likely to do so.

Cool.  Agree to disagree.  

42 minutes ago, southparkcpa said:

I can handle the debate as to whether average Fitz is better/worse than potential Geno. But I find absolutely no value in talking about how many teams Fitz has been on prior to the Jets. It's meaningless. He learned the system last year, has a good relationship with his teammates, played well overall with some obvious lapses, and is preferred by everybody in the FO. People here act like the Jets coaches have yet to see how Geno plays or "aren't giving him a real chance." That's such BS. Of course they know what Geno brings to the table. They just don't have confidence in him. They wouldn't be out spending $10 million or so on an average old guy if they did. That's all there is to say. People here think Geno just needs weapons. Personally, I think GEno needs a brain transplant. So if you don't trust your front office, what people here should be calling for is the heads of Mac, Bowles, and Gailey. They obviously don't have a clue -- not to mention guys like Decker and Marshall. They know nothing compared to our resident geniuses.

To the people griping about money...

If the rookies are signed, and Wilk is on the tag, and the roster is pretty much locked in to the point where having more cap space isn't a need for this season... what does it matter how they pay Fitz THIS YEAR.

I get the argument about not over-paying him in 2017 and beyond, because we want to keep cap space to retain our own FAs, sign other FAs, etc... but if they find a way to get Fitz paid this year, without it hurting the future... why does anyone care what that number is?

Just curious.

I ask myself the same questions... do I want to not pay him out of principle of not over-paying him, or do I want the team to have EVERY possible asset they think will make them competitive this year?

I think I'd rather enjoy football this year. 

51 minutes ago, JiF said:

Or 10...but whatevs.  Something something remain competitive.  

Jets fan love mediocrity. 

How did Fitz do last year for the Jets? That's all that matters. The rest is empty distraction. And I don't think Fitz is more than an average QB. Whether Geno can be something other than one of the worst QB's in the league is yet to be proven. For one more year, I'll take average.

1 hour ago, Long Island Leprechaun said:

I can handle the debate as to whether average Fitz is better/worse than potential Geno. But I find absolutely no value in talking about how many teams Fitz has been on prior to the Jets. It's meaningless. He learned the system last year, has a good relationship with his teammates, played well overall with some obvious lapses, and is preferred by everybody in the FO. People here act like the Jets coaches have yet to see how Geno plays or "aren't giving him a real chance." That's such BS. Of course they know what Geno brings to the table. They just don't have confidence in him. They wouldn't be out spending $10 million or so on an average old guy if they did. That's all there is to say. People here think Geno just needs weapons. Personally, I think GEno needs a brain transplant. So if you don't trust your front office, what people here should be calling for is the heads of Mac, Bowles, and Gailey. They obviously don't have a clue -- not to mention guys like Decker and Marshall. They know nothing compared to our resident geniuses.

NIce post.  What Fitz did in the early part of his career is irrelevant.  And there is no good reason to think Smith will succeed.  I didn't say he can't succeed - that is not a helpful standard here. 

I also am leery of the logical fallacy of an appeal to authority, especially false authority.  But until the Macc Bowles Gailey brain trust does stupid sh!t, they are entitled to the deference your post brings up.  It is reasonable to do so.  They see the players, the game film, the practices, they know what their better players like Marshall and Decker and probably the others, ones who have not been talking to the media but who the CS talk with, think.  That's not making a logical fallacy.  It's just being reasonable.

1 hour ago, Big Blocker said:

Actually no, I'm not a Geno fan.  Which makes it even worse.  I didn't want to draft him and I preferred Mark.  However given our options... I take Geno and hope for the best.  As in he went 8-8 with a crap team.  Let's see what he can do with a good team w/o having to spend big for it.

You seem to have misunderstood the "point" I was trying to make.  I sure as hell am not suggesting ANY team pay big for Fitz.  I'm saying look at what teams in the past have been gullible enough to pay big for Fitz.  You'll find your "misplaced loyalty" there.

Also I appreciate the attempt of generosity, but no need.  Anyone supporting paying big for Fitz is:

1. Comfortable with mediocrity.
  2. Or doesn't learn from history.  You know, that thing that tends to repeat itself.

43 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

To the people griping about money...

If the rookies are signed, and Wilk is on the tag, and the roster is pretty much locked in to the point where having more cap space isn't a need for this season... what does it matter how they pay Fitz THIS YEAR.

I get the argument about not over-paying him in 2017 and beyond, because we want to keep cap space to retain our own FAs, sign other FAs, etc... but if they find a way to get Fitz paid this year, without it hurting the future... why does anyone care what that number is?

Just curious.

I ask myself the same questions... do I want to not pay him out of principle of not over-paying him, or do I want the team to have EVERY possible asset they think will make them competitive this year?

I think I'd rather enjoy football this year. 

And this is a good post about the money part of it.  I wouldn't be totally surprised if the Jets ended up cutting someone like Breno, but it may not be clear that would be driven by bringing Fitz back in any event.  The point is I really doubt the Jets will be screwing up their cap in order to sign Fitz.

Some portion of the anxiety among the fanbase over this whole thing clearly has to do with the uncertainty this whole situation has caused, and no one likes that.  But when things get resolved and the team is preparing for the coming season, it will be time to put the anxiety and resulting complaints aside.  I hope most can do it for their own sake.

14 minutes ago, Mike135 said:

Actually no, I'm not a Geno fan.  Which makes it even worse.  I didn't want to draft him and I preferred Mark.  However given our options... I take Geno and hope for the best.  As in he went 8-8 with a crap team.  Let's see what he can do with a good team w/o having to spend big for it.

You seem to have misunderstood the "point" I was trying to make.  I sure as hell am not suggesting ANY team pay big for Fitz.  I'm saying look at what teams in the past have been gullible enough to pay big for Fitz.  You'll find your "misplaced loyalty" there.

Also I appreciate the attempt of generosity, but no need.  Anyone supporting paying big for Fitz is:

1. Comfortable with mediocrity.
  2. Or doesn't learn from history.  You know, that thing that tends to repeat itself.

Comparing past parts of his career with last year is a waste of time.  Its what he did last year that is the most relevant comparator.  The so-called history you refer to is simply not a helpful metric.

Mediocrity is in this context a rather vague term.  In context I would note that while there were certainly other factors, Fitz did have better numbers than the Jet Qb from the year before.  So, there's that.  And by some metrics he stacks up against other mid level NFL starting Qb's.  And while I might have preferred to see the Jets go another  route at Qb ( well, I would, but it didn't happen), there's no one out there better. 

4 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Comparing past parts of his career with last year is a waste of time.  Its what he did last year that is the most relevant comparator.  The so-called history you refer to is simply not a helpful metric.

Mediocrity is in this context a rather vague term.  In context I would note that while there were certainly other factors, Fitz did have better numbers than the Jet Qb from the year before.  So, there's that.  And by some metrics he stacks up against other mid level NFL starting Qb's.  And while I might have preferred to see the Jets go another  route at Qb ( well, I would, but it didn't happen), there's no one out there better available now (or so it seems). 

10 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

Mediocrity is in this context a rather vague term.  In context I would note that while there were certainly other factors, Fitz did have better numbers than the Jet Qb from the year before.  So, there's that.  And by some metrics he stacks up against other mid level NFL starting Qb's.  And while I might have preferred to see the Jets go another  route at Qb ( well, I would, but it didn't happen), there's no one out there better. 

If looking at history is a waste (which I'd disagree with), then consider the most recent game action we have.  Week 17.  4th quarter in particular.

Did Fitz have decent stats, sure.  Based on some metrics.  On others not so good.  However I don't like just relying on stats though.  Whether good or bad.  That was the first decent offense we've had in years (passing wise).  It's now a passing league.  I believe Geno would've had similar if not better stats.

And agreed, there is no one better "out" there.  Already "in" here is another story though.

5 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Totally agree they don't have our luxury, but if there was even a belief in a 2-3 win discrepancy, if it's a difference between (as some think) 3-4 wins and 6 wins I don't think either helps their job security. Even less so if they fork over $11M and still only go 6-10 or 7-9. If they finish 6-10 to 8-8 with a combination of Geno/Petty or Geno/Hackenberg, and one of them finishes strong enough to give confidence in the following season, then I think that's preferable to an 8-8 (give or take) season with Fitz, where no young QB gets any snaps because our GM/HC are in full job preservation mode, and won't take a chance on anyone (lest they get second-guessed).

But again, yeah, it's totally easy/convenient for us to say who cares if we're 8-8 or 5-11; frankly the latter is preferable long-term on multiple levels (saves lots of cap room, we get much higher draft picks, and we get a live look at one of our recent draftees). Re-signing Fitz is only a good idea if we are true SB contenders IMO, since there is no way he's getting benched at $11M or more, even if someone else looks better this summer (just like Cro last summer, but double that as a popular, incumbent QB). That said, if he can be signed for millions less, I'm also ok with him as our bridge QB, so long as he could realistically lose his job if outplayed.

Basically I'm ok with the team chewing up and spitting out either him or Geno through/after the first 6 weeks, and to me using up $11M+ of next year's cap space is an absurd cost for such a task.

I don't believe the $11mil one bit as a guaranteed salary. Maybe 7 + 4 as a playoff incentive, but not 11.

Fans can go into the season and think this is a 4-6 win team without him and say a 6-8 team with him, but I really don't think HC's and GM's can do that. I tend to agree that is likely what we are looking at, but we are fans.

I would be shocked if he gets 11mil guaranteed salary for this year, absolutely shocked, but crazier things I guess have happened.

Archived