how many of idzik's jets draft picks will remain after upcoming cuts ? ? ?

kelly

The Jets are preparing for their third preseason game, Saturday against the Giants. Which means roster cuts are coming.After this game, sometime between Sunday and Tuesday, the Jets will trim their roster from 90 players to 75. By next Saturday, following the preseason finale at the Eagles, the Jets must cut their roster to the final 53 players. 

So after all that, how many of former general manager John Idzik's draft picks will remain with the organization ? 

Idzik drafted seven players in 2013 and 12 in 2014.

And then he was fired. 

Two of his 2013 picks are already gone: offensive tackle Oday Aboushi (now with the Texans) and offensive guard/tackle William Campbell (Titans).

Idzik's other five 2013 picks are probably safe in this round of cuts: cornerback Dee Milliner, defensive end Sheldon Richardson, quarterback Geno Smith, offensive guard Brian Winters, and fullback Tommy Bohanon. If the Jets opt to keep a fullback (and we think they will), it'll be Bohanon. Wedon't envision them cutting or trading Smith, who gives them a game-tested (albeit flawed) backup quarterback. 

Six of Idzik's 12 picks from 2014 are already gone: wide receiver Jalen Saunders (free agent), receiver Shaq Evans (Jaguars), linebacker Jeremiah George (Buccaneers), cornerback Brandon Dixon (Saints), outside linebacker IK Enemkpali (Bills), and quarterback Tajh Boyd (free agent). Idzik's top two draft picks that year were safety Calvin Pryor and tight end Jace Amaro. They're both safe, unless the Jets make a surprising cut of Amaro, which appears unlikely. Receiver Quincy Enunwa also is safe. 

But cornerback Dexter McDougle, offensive guard Dakota Dozier, and outside linebacker Trevor Reilly definitely are not safe. One or all of them could be cut.So after these upcoming cuts, there's a chance that just three of Idzik's 12 picks from 2014 — Pryor, Amaro, and Enunwa — will remain with the Jets.And that would mean just eight of Idzik's 19 total picks would remain. 

The biggest failures of that entire bunch would be the highest-drafted players, all from 2014 — McDougle (Round 3), Saunders (Round 4), Evans (Round 4), and Dozier (Round 4). 

>      http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2016/08/how_many_of_john_idziks_jets_draft_picks_will_rema.html#incart_river_index

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a horror story about the previous drafts. It is a very revealing theme to just how good a coach Bowles is that he won 10 games last season with a team bereft of talented young men. Macc has found UDFA's and lower round picks with more talent than what is stated above.

Bowles has also made a weapon of The Q.

Reilly is very likely safe.  Between being a special teamer and, frighteningly enough, the most experienced player they have at OLB, I can't imagine the Jets are in any rush to send him packing.

McDougle is probably gone.  At this point he's basically competing with Milliner for the bottom-of-the-depth-chart injury-prone CB spot, but the difference is that the Jets save nothing by cutting Milliner, and he is considered to have the higher upside, so that's probably the end of McDougle.  Revis, Skrine, Williams, and Burris are all locked in ahead of either of them.

Dozier is just a flip of the coin at this point.  They have a long list of interior linemen on the roster, with the only ones who have shown they are worth a damn being Mangold and Carpenter.  Winters is the only other one locked in ahead of him, but it wouldn't be surprising if Macc and Bowles rate the guys they've brought in over Dozier.

1 hour ago, Jetsfan80 said:

God what horrible drafting.  Even the Calvin Pryor pick looks dumb considering we could have gotten Derek Carr.  Or Brandin Cooks.  Or Kelvin Benjamin. 

You can't be serious with this, right?  Idzik's drafts certainly greatly deserved to be trashed, but this kind of logic is a complete failure on so many levels.  You can't judge single (successful) selections based on hindsight related to players in the draft who were drafted later.  That kind of logic would make the vast majority of the picks made by every team in every draft qualify as "dumb".  The Jets were more likely to draft Manziel there than Carr, so talk about a reach.

1 hour ago, Bleedin Green said:

Reilly is very likely safe.  Between being a special teamer and, frighteningly enough, the most experienced player they have at OLB, I can't imagine the Jets are in any rush to send him packing.

McDougle is probably gone.  At this point he's basically competing with Milliner for the bottom-of-the-depth-chart injury-prone CB spot, but the difference is that the Jets save nothing by cutting Milliner, and he is considered to have the higher upside, so that's probably the end of McDougle.  Revis, Skrine, Williams, and Burris are all locked in ahead of either of them.

Dozier is just a flip of the coin at this point.  They have a long list of interior linemen on the roster, with the only ones who have shown they are worth a damn being Mangold and Carpenter.  Winters is the only other one locked in ahead of him, but it wouldn't be surprising if Macc and Bowles rate the guys they've brought in over Dozier.

I disagree. 

The Jets will keep 6 CBs. Revis, Williams, Skrine, Burris are definitely a lock to make the roster. That's 4.

Here's who's left competing for the final 2 spots: Milliner, McDougle, Short, Morris, Keeton. Milliner and McDougle should easily be able to beat out Short, Morris and Keeton for the final 2 spots. Short in particular looked pretty bad in pre-season. Keeton hasn't done much either. Morris is the only guy that made some plays in pre-season and may push for McDougle's spot. But, IMO, Milliner and McDougle stay on the 53.

As far as Dozier, I don't see why the Jets would want to cut him. I think he's more of a lock than a 'flip of the coin'. He's young, hasn't really gotten an opportunity to prove himself n the field as he was still considered a 'project' last year. He's also versatile as he can play C or OG. You look at those other interior linemen, who's ahead of Dozier? Carpenter and Winters, fine, they are the starters. But after that it's Harrison, M. Liedtke, C.Watts, and W.Johnson. You would think they keep at least 3 backup interior linemen (I'm assuming Friend goes on PS). Right now, Dozier and W.Johnson (as C) are probably the top two backups. Harrison will probably be the 3rd one with Liedtke and Watts a odd men out. That's just how I see it.      

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

To be fair, we've had worst drafts than these two. But Idzik was still sh*t. 

You are probably right about some past drafts being bad or even worse. But the fact that we had a GM that passed by all those WR's, in the year of excellent college WR's, tells you Idzik was a whole new kind of dumb.

Idzik was hired as a business side GM who was supposed to know football.  

He joined the team and was told he needed to keep the coach and, most importantly, the Scouting Department.  This was because Woody did not want to eat terminated salaries. Idzik did not have the skill, opportunity or time to do the scouting.  As we know, Bradway and Co basically were partly checked out, and their scouting ability was declining.  The hits they had were in large part due to Mangini and Rex being able to scout talent.  

I don't think there is any question that replacing Idzik with Mac was the right move.  Mac has the team heading in the right direction.  Idzik was still in charge, and the fact that he could not find a WR in the most WR rich draft in history, and drafted an undersized safety over a potential Franchise QB, was on him.  Jalen Saunders may have cost him his job (although the guy from the Steelers who people believe should have picked ultimately was suspended).  I believe that this situation is more complex than people appreciate, and I hope that future GMs study it closely, as the Jets made a mistake in hiring Idzik for what they wanted, but Idzik made a mistake by taking the job.  You don't take a job that does not put you in a position to be successful in, unless you are paid enough in the short term to have it not really matter.

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Just a horror story about the previous drafts. It is a very revealing theme to just how good a coach Bowles is that he won 10 games last season with a team bereft of talented young men. Macc has found UDFA's and lower round picks with more talent than what is stated above.

I Think you mean Chan

2 hours ago, Jetsfan80 said:

God what horrible drafting.  Even the Calvin Pryor pick looks dumb considering we could have gotten Derek Carr.  Or Brandin Cooks.  Or Kelvin Benjamin. 

Calvin Pryor is incredibly important to this defense. You saw how different this team is without him when he was out past year. Sure it'd be nice to have Carr but cooks and Benjamin would have been a waste. Either way, I'm very happy with Pryor 

28 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Not being a ball buster, but quite honestly I think Bowles checks in more on the offense than Rex, but let's Chan run his own show.

Funny how posters want to take away from Bowles but never give a certain scout credit for finding Burris or Peake. Macc get all of that credit. 

25 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i don't see the value in keeping Amaro. He passed through waivers last year on the way to IR, no one wants him. He can't block, he can barely catch and he doesn't help on special teams. Why does this guy have a job again? 

I don't recall Amaro going through the waiver process.  I believe he went straight to IR.

24 minutes ago, bitonti said:

i don't see the value in keeping Amaro. He passed through waivers last year on the way to IR, no one wants him. He can't block, he can barely catch and he doesn't help on special teams. Why does this guy have a job again? 

He has a job because, unfortunately, the rest of the Jets' TEs are just as laughably bad, if not worse.

As far as the waivers thing, that's completely untrue, Amaro was never once on waivers.  That no longer applied by the time he was put on IR last year.

Many of Idzik's draft picks are still in the NFL. I know it's easy for some to be a hater of him and blame the guy for one bad season. Two years ago it was very popular to kill Idzik esp when it was happening in the press every day. That is if you listen to guys like MM and Cimini.  But if you look at who he drafted and compare to other teams the picks were satisfactory. And at the time selected he got better than passing grades from people like Mel, etc. As for the extra comp picks in 2014 I just can't understand slamming him for a few failed 4th rounders or saying he didn't draft a top flight receiver when some were available. And actually maybe he did in the sixth round with Q. All of the rip jobs for not drafting a few other guys and he might have selected one of the best ones and late.  He was trying to rebuild the secondary and used his top picks both seasons on Dbs. And then of course there's Sheldon Richardson. Who many feel was the best pick in that draft. First a great trade to TB getting rid of an injured Revis and good compensation. It got Mark Domenick fired from TB.  I'll take Sheldon over whomever he might have drafted with the Shaq Evans, etc. picks. You are not gong to hit a HR with every pick esp when like in 2014 you have some many compensation picks. I think as time goes by his drafts are even looking better. And some of his critics are Geno fans who wanted Geno to start over Fitz. There were a lot of good moves by Idzik that just didn't work out. And not spending the bulk of the money in 2014 was a calculated decision that the owner was most certainly a part of. He would have had to be. They wanted to spend it in 2015 and that's what happened but not by Idzik. 

3 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

More a testament to our schedule. I am hopeful but far from sold on Bowles. Lots of little red flags

14 minutes ago, YankeeJet22 said:

I don't recall Amaro going through the waiver process.  I believe he went straight to IR.

all players with less than 4 years of service go through waivers before going to the IR. That includes Amaro and Devin Smith last year. 

14 minutes ago, Bleedin Green said:

As far as the waivers thing, that's completely untrue, Amaro was never once on waivers.  That no longer applied by the time he was put on IR last year.

when was the rule changed? Teams have been swiping rookies and young players for a while. The Browns did it with Michael Bowie from the seahawks last season. 

2 hours ago, Bleedin Green said:

You can't be serious with this, right?  Idzik's drafts certainly greatly deserved to be trashed, but this kind of logic is a complete failure on so many levels.  You can't judge single (successful) selections based on hindsight related to players in the draft who were drafted later.  That kind of logic would make the vast majority of the picks made by every team in every draft qualify as "dumb".  The Jets were more likely to draft Manziel there than Carr, so talk about a reach.

Yes, but let's be honest, there were TONS of people here, on other boards, and everywhere else that wanted Brandin Cooks...and when he was there, we ALL thought that was THE PICK to make.

4 minutes ago, bitonti said:

when was the rule changed? Teams have been swiping rookies and young players for a while. The Browns did it with Michael Bowie from the seahawks last season. 

It depends on when it goes through.  If it's early in camp/preseason, then a player is put in as injured/waived and in that case, you are right that they can be snatched off of waivers.  Only if the player clears can the team put him on IR.  However, after a few weeks (I believe it's based on when the first cutdowns happen), that no longer applies and a player can be put straight to IR without going through waivers.  Last year they held onto Amaro for a few weeks after he had gotten hurt, which would suggest they intentionally avoided putting him on waivers.

That said, yeah he still sucks, but unfortunately so do all Jets TEs.

To me if Idzik deserved to be fired it was more about the press conference and the problems he had with the press than his FO ability. There were stories that he wouldn't return phone calls from reporters. And in the NYC market you have to communicate and be there for the media not try to hide away from them. To me his worst decision in terms of personnel was drafting Geno. And then starting him for two seasons. Both years he played better the last quarter of the season and that was confusing to the fans and the FO. As for how Rex felt about Geno. I don't really know. He claims it was his decision to bench Geno for Vick and then bench Vick for Geno. But he always leaked info that kind of blamed Idzik for everything. 

55 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

To me if Idzik deserved to be fired it was more about the press conference and the problems he had with the press than his FO ability. There were stories that he wouldn't return phone calls from reporters. And in the NYC market you have to communicate and be there for the media not try to hide away from them. To me his worst decision in terms of personnel was drafting Geno. And then starting him for two seasons. Both years he played better the last quarter of the season and that was confusing to the fans and the FO. As for how Rex felt about Geno. I don't really know. He claims it was his decision to bench Geno for Vick and then bench Vick for Geno. But he always leaked info that kind of blamed Idzik for everything. 

Idzik will never, ever again be a GM because he completely and totally sucks at it. Wish he was here for Fitz, though, because he would've been way too cheap to give him that stupid $12M contract. 

2 hours ago, 32EBoozer said:

Not being a ball buster, but quite honestly I think Bowles checks in more on the offense than Rex, but let's Chan run his own show.

2 hours ago, Jetdawgg said:

Funny how posters want to take away from Bowles but never give a certain scout credit for finding Burris or Peake. Macc get all of that credit. 

Funny how posters can take a simple fact and blow it way beyond what was said.

What does a scout who finds Burris/Peake have anything to do with my original point that Chan has run a system where Quincy has excelled.

Bowles is hands off when it comes to the system Chan runs and Q's role in said system.

He may weigh in with a suggestion but it's Chans show to run.

1 hour ago, slats said:

Idzik will never, ever again be a GM because he completely and totally sucks at it. Wish he was here for Fitz, though, because he would've been way too cheap to give him that stupid $12M contract. 

Mac should worship the ground Idzik walked on. He gave him all the cap space he needed to squander with that moronic Revis contract. After Idzik made a smart trade and was able to get rid of him. The 12 mil for Fitz a good Jets transaction, though after they couldn't get away with trying to screw the guy. Looks like if he signed that "generous" 3 year offer they'd have Fitz by the balls for 2 more years as their 6 million dollar man. 

10 minutes ago, Rangers9 said:

Mac should worship the ground Idzik walked on. He gave him all the cap space he needed to squander with that moronic Revis contract. After Idzik made a smart trade and was able to get rid of him. The 12 mil for Fitz a good Jets transaction, though after they couldn't get away with trying to screw the guy. Looks like if he signed that "generous" 3 year offer they'd have Fitz by the balls for 2 more years as their 6 million dollar man. 

Lol. I continue to not agree with a word you type. 

27 minutes ago, 32EBoozer said:

Funny how posters can take a simple fact and blow it way beyond what was said.

What does a scout who finds Burris/Peake have anything to do with my original point that Chan has run a system where Quincy has excelled.

Bowles is hands off when it comes to the system Chan runs and Q's role in said system.

He may weigh in with a suggestion but it's Chans show to run.

Last cycle here: Bowles is the HC. He hired CG. If you do not like the way I write things here please put my post on ignore or something. Thank you very much.

Archived