..Revis is declining before our eyes,.. & it's not pretty ~ ~ ~

kelly

When the subject of moving Darrelle Revis to safety was broached in training camp -- by Revis himself -- general manager Mike Maccagnan brushed aside the idea, saying, "Those are questions far down the road."

Don't look now, but the road isn't as long as the New York Jets once envisioned. They're coming up quickly on an intersection.

Once considered a transcendent talent at cornerback, Revis' play has deteriorated to the point that the Jets may skip the switch to safety and simply release him after the season. He's due to make $15 million in 2017, including a $2 million roster bonus on the second day of the league year in March -- a deadline that will force the Jets (and Revis) to make a decision. He probably will have to accept a pay cut to stick around, if it's offered. They may want to simply cut bait.

Believe me, there is no great pleasure in criticizing an all-time great, but Revis, 31 going on 35, has slipped significantly. His performance Sunday was an eye-opener. He was targeted 16 times, according to Pro Football Focus. Back in the day, Revis wouldn't have been targeted 16 times in a month, but there he was against the lowly Cleveland Browns, getting picked on by a journeyman quarterback (Josh McCown) and a wide receiver (Terrelle Pryor) who began the season with two career catches.

All told, Revis allowed 10 receptions for 122 yards, including six for 101 to Pryor. It could've easily been an even 200 yards, but McCown blew a potential 78-yard scoring play by overthrowing Pryor, who had Revis beat by four yards. Revis minimized the damage in the second half, holding Pryor without a catch, but he got safety help, as coach Todd Bowles switched to a double-safety look. The days of Revis covering half the field are gone."I thought he had two hiccups early on in the season and I thought he went through a stretch where he was playing good football," Bowles said Monday, alluding to two long touchdown passes in the first two games. "[Sunday], he had a few plays on him in the first half. We’re 3-5, so nobody is getting a stellar grade, including myself. We just have to do better."

This is a delicate spot for Bowles, an old defensive back. Surely, he sees what we all see, but he's not about to call out the most accomplished player on the team. Yogi Berra didn't scold an aging Willie Mays for flopping around in the outfield in the 1973 World Series, and Revis shouldn't be condemned for his diminishing skills. It can be hard to watch, but it's part of sports.Thing is, Revis has complicated his situation by saying and doing things unbecoming of a superstar. Last week, he told Newsday, "My body's breaking down." That probably didn't sit well with owner Woody Johnson, who brought him back to New York last year and still owes him $14.5 million guaranteed. Revis said he has not considering retirement, but it's hard to believe him when he talks about his body failing.

It's also hard to believe him after seeing what he did in the final minute of Sunday's game. On a swing pass to Isaiah Crowell, a 225-pound running back, Revis showed no sense of urgency whatsoever, seemingly trying to avoid contact on a play that went for 16 yards. He has always been known as a physical corner, unafraid to tackle, but this was a bad look. Not even Bowles was able to serve up an alibi."Initially, I thought he was trying to stop him from getting out of bounds, which I could see that," Bowles said. "But after that, he could’ve went in, I guess, from the angle he was looking at. … There were about four people on that play that could’ve made it and played it a lot better."

This was Revis' worst game of the season, maybe the worst of his distinguished career. For the sake of his legacy, you hope it gets better. But you wonder if it will.

>       http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64473/jets-star-darrelle-revis-is-declining-before-our-eyes-and-its-not-pretty

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Integrity28 said:

Can you really call it a decline when a player just stands there? I call that "not giving a **** anymore". I think that has more to do with his age, body and fatness.

I think it has more to do with his character.  He's a selfish a$$hole and always has been.  He's never cared about anyone or anything besides himself and his money.  

And now he's out there literally not even trying.  Like, not giving an ounce of effort.  

But we have a pusswah HC who loves aging useless veterans, so he'll do nothing about it and we'll continue to see the same POS on the field not giving a flying ****.

1 minute ago, JiF said:

I think it has more to do with his character.  He's a selfish a$$hole and always has been.  He's never cared about anyone or anything besides himself and his money.  

And now he's out there literally not even trying.  Like, not giving an ounce of effort.  

But we have a pusswah HC who loves aging useless veterans, so he'll do nothing about it and we'll continue to see the same POS on the field not giving a flying ****.

I think I just basically said this, no?

Agreed, Bowles seems to afford different guys different length leashes... He's made himself a "pushover players coach". Just a different take on the exact same problem we had with Rex. ******* joke.

4 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

I think I just basically said this, no?

Agreed, Bowles seems to afford different guys different length leashes... He's made himself a "pushover players coach". Just a different take on the exact same problem we had with Rex. ******* joke.

You said "age, body and fatness" - I think he's just ****tard who doesnt give a sh*t about anything but a pay check.

Rex made Revis.  He never was and never has been the same player without him.

Just now, JiF said:

You said "age, body and fatness" - I think he's just ****tard who doesnt give a sh*t about anything but a pay check.

Rex made Revis.  He never was and never has been the same player without him.

No, I said he doesn't give a ****. Mis-typed, but meant that has more to do with it than age... 

42 minutes ago, JiF said:

revis is..and always has been,.. ALL about  $.

cheers ~ ~

:beer: 

1 minute ago, kelly said:

revis is..and always has been,.. ALL about  $.

cheers ~ ~

he's also the best player this franchise has ever had.  he was also brilliant in negotiations(he and his team) w/ his contracts.  hall of Famer, all time great all the way around.

The idea of moving Mevi$ to safety gets floated around here a lot, as if just moving him to a new position is going to transform him to into a player who carries his weight and justifies the fat $$$$ salary.  Ludicrous to think this is a viable option.  

OUCH

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini speculates the team might cut CB Darrelle Revis following the season.

Once expected to play out the twilight of his career at safety, Cimini thinks the Jets could skip the switch and just release Revis outright this offseason. New York does owe Revis $6 million guaranteed next year, but releasing him before the second league day of 2017 would save them a $2 million roster bonus. Revis' struggles reached a breaking point against the Browns when he was burned by Terrelle Pryor for 101 yards in the first half. Pryor was held without a catch in the second, but Revis was given plenty of help and still got burned for what should have been a long catch.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

OUCH

ESPN Jets reporter Rich Cimini speculates the team might cut CB Darrelle Revis following the season.

Once expected to play out the twilight of his career at safety, Cimini thinks the Jets could skip the switch and just release Revis outright this offseason. New York does owe Revis $6 million guaranteed next year, but releasing him before the second league day of 2017 would save them a $2 million roster bonus. Revis' struggles reached a breaking point against the Browns when he was burned by Terrelle Pryor for 101 yards in the first half. Pryor was held without a catch in the second, but Revis was given plenty of help and still got burned for what should have been a long catch.

we'll take a salary cap hit but,.. we should release him.

p.s.  ..the pats will then probably sign him, move him to S and he'll go to the pro bowl   :badmood:

cheers ~ ~

-- Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin believes Darrelle Revis saw this coming.

Commenting on the New York Jets star cornerback's struggles, Irvin said Wednesday that Revis sent out a warning flare in training camp by openly discussing the possibility of switching to safety in the future."That was almost his way of trying to capitulate and get out of the situation because he knew," Irvin said during his weekly appearance on WFAN radio. "A fine athlete like that, he knows where his game is. He knows what he can and can't do. When he talked about it, he was telling us early on what was going on, (to) be prepared for it.

"Now the Jets will have to make a decision," Irvin continued. "The Jets will have to say, 'Hey, our next corner at corner is better than the legend that we think about Darrelle Revis, and we need to put the legend we know now and put him at safety and let him play the game that way.'"

Revis is coming off one of the worst games of his career, allowing 10 receptions for 122 yards Sunday against the Cleveland Browns."Right now, what he's dealing with is a confidence issue," Irvin said. "We don't like to think of our great ones as having confidence issues. That's why I was shocked to see some of the things we saw with Tiger Woods after we've seen him master confident for so long. We're shocked to see it.

"We're shocked with Darrelle Revis. Darrelle Revis doesn't even know how to receive what he's going through. It's too late in the season to talk about you're not in shape anymore. Right now, what it is is confidence. You see things. Your minds see it, your body says go do it, but you just don't get there the same way you used to and it affects your confidence."

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64517/michael-irvin-says-darrelle-revis-ready-to-wave-white-flag-at-cornerback

Hey, everyone declines at some point, injuries age etc, system as well perhaps but imo Revis gets little sympathy or leeway from me.  He is downright dogging it on plays that have little to do with his coverage skills.  He avoids contact, does not even try to tackle, he is not even making an NFL effort imo so screw him he deserves all the bad press and derision he is getting.  some parts of your game going badly?  Fine, excel at the things you can still do.

We all decline, it's not that, it's the not giving a Fook. Some of that standing around sh*t was terrible. He's paid like a QB, and plays like #3 Corner. He's got to comfy and does not give a Sh&t any more.

His play is so bad no way can anyone justify playing 17 mill or so next year. He's got to go, major clearing house, and Revi$ heads the list.

1 hour ago, BurnleyJet said:

We all decline, it's not that, it's the not giving a Fook. Some of that standing around sh*t was terrible. He's paid like a QB, and plays like #3 Corner. He's got to comfy and does not give a Sh&t any more.

His play is so bad no way can anyone justify playing 17 mill or so next year. He's got to go, major clearing house, and Revi$ heads the list.

How awkward must it be sitting in the secondary meetings watching film and seeing a 17 million dollar CB doggin it and not giving a flying ****?

I'm not joking, I'd cut him in front of the entire unit during a film session. 

1 hour ago, kelly said:

-- Hall of Fame wide receiver Michael Irvin believes Darrelle Revis saw this coming.

Commenting on the New York Jets star cornerback's struggles, Irvin said Wednesday that Revis sent out a warning flare in training camp by openly discussing the possibility of switching to safety in the future."That was almost his way of trying to capitulate and get out of the situation because he knew," Irvin said during his weekly appearance on WFAN radio. "A fine athlete like that, he knows where his game is. He knows what he can and can't do. When he talked about it, he was telling us early on what was going on, (to) be prepared for it.

"Now the Jets will have to make a decision," Irvin continued. "The Jets will have to say, 'Hey, our next corner at corner is better than the legend that we think about Darrelle Revis, and we need to put the legend we know now and put him at safety and let him play the game that way.'"

Revis is coming off one of the worst games of his career, allowing 10 receptions for 122 yards Sunday against the Cleveland Browns."Right now, what he's dealing with is a confidence issue," Irvin said. "We don't like to think of our great ones as having confidence issues. That's why I was shocked to see some of the things we saw with Tiger Woods after we've seen him master confident for so long. We're shocked to see it.

"We're shocked with Darrelle Revis. Darrelle Revis doesn't even know how to receive what he's going through. It's too late in the season to talk about you're not in shape anymore. Right now, what it is is confidence. You see things. Your minds see it, your body says go do it, but you just don't get there the same way you used to and it affects your confidence."

>        http://www.espn.com/blog/new-york-jets/post/_/id/64517/michael-irvin-says-darrelle-revis-ready-to-wave-white-flag-at-cornerback

So basically Darelle Revis has low-T?

25 minutes ago, JiF said:

How awkward must it be sitting in the secondary meetings watching film and seeing a 17 million dollar CB doggin it and not giving a flying ****?

I'm not joking, I'd cut him in front of the entire unit during a film session. 

Is the bad play from the secondary all on Revis, I think not. 

On 11/1/2016 at 8:00 AM, Il Mostro said:

The idea of moving Mevi$ to safety gets floated around here a lot, as if just moving him to a new position is going to transform him to into a player who carries his weight and justifies the fat $$$$ salary.  Ludicrous to think this is a viable option.  

Indeed, what make anyone in their right mind think a guy who lost two steps not one, can cover anyone and then there is his tackling lately or really his lack there of ...

All these talking heads can blow me. Sure his skills have diminished but he's shown no hustle or heart & that's what burns Jet fans azzes! Talk about that Michael! Dogging it being paid 17 million is just unacceptable & should hurt his legacy.

That video released from the Cleveland game was DISGUSTING! When teams gang tackle, stick their head in there ect. turnovers can happen. Who's to say he gives an honest effort to tackle that he might have knocked the ball out?

Most turnovers are caused by hustling to the ball. He should be f*cking BENCHED for they effort he gave on Sunday. Media asks the coach can answer "coaches decision". We would all know he was benched for being a dog.

He should be embarrassed by what's being said about him. If he isn't than he's a cancer that needs to be cut out of this team before it infects our younger players. 

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

Is the bad play from the secondary all on Revis, I think not. 

Eh, you're wrong. The way the secondary is schemed, it all starts with Revis taking away half the field. If he can't do that, then nothing else works.

Eh, you're wrong. The way the secondary is schemed, it all starts with Revis taking away half the field. If he can't do that, then nothing else works.

Agree to disagree Revis shouldn't be the primary coverage for every teams #1 WR sadly we have no other decent CB's on the roster 

Is Revis the same player he was 5 years ago absolutely not. 

I also blame the defensive schemes being used as well

Just now, joewilly12 said:

Agree to disagree Revis shouldn't be the primary coverage for every teams #1 WR sadly we have no other decent CB's on the roster 

When you pay him $17mil, that's exactly what he should be. That's the point.

When you pay him $17mil, that's exactly what he should be. That's the point.

Not exclusively football is a team sport remember there are other guys in that secondary that arent doing their jobs or put into the right positions to do them. 

Revis is on the decline yes but Bowles and Rodgers are morons 

6 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

No it isn't . But if you pay a CB $17M you expect that CB to be a lockdown player who doesn't need safety help to cover teams #1 wr's.

So your saying he should stop every pass play that comes his way  and in a sense we are paying Fitzpatrick $12 million so he shouldn't be throwing any INTs

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What defensive scheme would work with the players that they have?  Fact is this roster's corps of db's only made sense in a playoff team if Revis earned his money and could play man against the opponent's #1 wideout. 

I don't think the scheme is the issue.  It is talent and performance.

People are just figuring this out now? I think he's going to be cut before season's end and will be playing for the vet's minimum for another team. Maybe he retires as a Jet. Bottom line is that he's washed up - even he knows it. He's playing to not get injured because his mind is already in life after football mode

17 minutes ago, Big Blocker said:

What defensive scheme would work with the players that they have?  Fact is this roster's corps of db's only made sense in a playoff team if Revis earned his money and could play man against the opponent's #1 wideout. 

I don't think the scheme is the issue.  It is talent and performance.

Last year they spent a lot of money on DBs. They went out of their way to fortify the secondary after all of the criticism they heard during and after 2014. I thought they overspent and the plan under Idzik was to build the secondary via the draft. Which didn't work out. But the attempt was there. So I think there is talent there. They did play better in the second half of last week. But it seems that there is confusion, guys out of position, broken coverages. As for Revis they have to give him more safety help. And he can't keep giving the receiver so much of a cushion. If he can't cover anyone then he'll have to become a safety. But a good chance they'll cut him next season. They will owe him 6 mil but will save 9. But for two years if they cut him he gets $40 mil. Those who claimed it was such a good deal because over five years the average wasn't so humongous (but still a lot, over 14 per season) were ridiculously wrong. 

The Jets won 10 games last year because Revis was able to cover half the field for $17mm and, of the other three, one was able to stack the box and the other 2 cover reasonably adequately.

On at least 3 of the games they lost last year, Revis was not able to cover his side of the field.

For some reason, despite his wrist injury and lack of off season conditioning and preparation, the Jets coaching staff thought Revis could cover half the field for at least the majority of games in 2016.  Maybe they were right, as he is doing better now that he is not being asked to cover Antonio Brown, etc. anymore. But Terrell Pryor took him to school.  But he is not a $17mm CB1.  I blame Woody for the signing.

So obviously the Jets are not correctly constructed, need to reorganize their secondary and cannot allocate $17mm to Revis next year.  I would offer him $7mm to be CB2, or cut him.

Archived