Jets set to add C.J. Spiller

JetNation

NY Jets Helmet

By Glenn Naughton

With only one under-utilized veteran running back on the roster, the Jets apparently felt the need to add another in former Buffalo Bill, New Orleans Saint and Seattle Seahawk, CJ Spiller.

Just hours earlier, the Jets had claimed running back Knile Davis who was then let go before he finished packing his bags.

In 2 games with the Seahawks, Spiller picked up just 3 carries for 9 yards to go along with 5 receptions for 43 yards and a touchdown against the Jets at MetLife Stadium earlier this season.

In a perfect world, Spiller would contribute as a return man on special teams, but according to pro football reference, he hasn’t returned a punt since 2011 and has only returned 19 kicks over the past three seasons.

Spiller played his best football under Jets offensive coordinator Chan Gailey in Buffalo back in 2012 when he rushed for over 1,200 yards.

Jetnationcom?d=yIl2AUoC8zA Jetnationcom?d=qj6IDK7rITs
UsTtJ_SqItA

Click here to read the full story...

What this team need is more long in the tooth vets!  

but seriously, Gailey is one of the best OC's we're had in a long time.  Admittedly the bar wasn't set all the high for him.  None the less bring his retreads in, like Fitz and now Spiller, I'm all for ending his tenure here.

This is a young man's game.  I don't mind an ancient coach but please, give me some young players.  

4 hours ago, Tinstar said:

If someone could teach Davis to hold onto the football, he would be the better option .

Umm, no. Packs have WRs playing RB yet they cut Davis. He's useless even when you have no RB on the roster. 

Weren't lots of guys on this site going nuts about a month ago when Spiller signed with Seattle and then scored in the game against us? The usual'' Macc is clueless; a great team like Seattle signs Spiller and we sit by and watch. Etc, etc."  Now, we sign him and it's a terrible move. This place is the best comedy you can find anywhere!

So why complaining. They probably need depth with all of the injuries and the guy has an NFL resume. He probably just couldn't fit in to the Rb rotation with Seattle. They did dress Pope the other day so they might think Spiller is a better choice than him. I expect if they cut Pope they could PS him. 

Hard to be critical.  It gives us another back to run, and we rely on the run with Fitz at the helm.

Lets hope he has something left to contribute.

Personally I blow up the RB position next year, and revamp the whole spot, so what happens this year (IMO) is just this year anyway.

1 hour ago, joewilly12 said:

RB depth as soon as Robinson went down this should have been addressed Macc obviously doesn't get it so now we pick off the scrap heap 8 games into the season. 

Robinson got hurt in game 4 of the preseason. Scrap heap then, Scrap heap now.

Again, doesnt it seem that people want to hate Maccagnan and want to hate Bowles (who I will admit has provided ammunition)

3 minutes ago, UnitedWhofans said:

Robinson got hurt in game 4 of the preseason. Scrap heap then, Scrap heap now.

Again, doesnt it seem that people want to hate Maccagnan and want to hate Bowles (who I will admit has provided ammunition)

The scrap heap was better then in the pre season than it is now game 8. 

If the shoe fits we are 3-5 with that comes criticism. 

Just now, joewilly12 said:

The scrap heap was better then in the pre season than it is now game 8. 

If the shoe fits we are 3-5 with that comes criticism. 

There is no such thing as a better scrap heap. "Polish a turd, it's a still a turd"

I fully accept that they are 3-5. They have also played a very tough schedule and have suffered a lot of big injuries.

If people are going to put last year on the easier schedule, why wouldnt they put this year on the harder schedule?

That makes logical sense to me

1 minute ago, UnitedWhofans said:

There is no such thing as a better scrap heap. "Polish a turd, it's a still a turd"

I fully accept that they are 3-5. They have also played a very tough schedule and have suffered a lot of big injuries.

If people are going to put last year on the easier schedule, why wouldnt they put this year on the harder schedule?

That makes logical sense to me

A 3-5 record with a close game against an 0-7 team is time for concern. 

Do we see improvements or do we see the schedule is getting easier so we are winning, 

We should have beat Cincinnati and Seattle very winnable games. 

Games where Fitz threw 3 and 6 INTs hard to win. 

Thats my opinion. 

1 minute ago, joewilly12 said:

A 3-5 record with a close game against an 0-7 team is time for concern. 

Do we see improvements or do we see the schedule is getting easier so we are winning, 

We should have beat Cincinnati and Seattle very winnable games. 

Games where Fitz threw 3 and 6 INTs hard to win. 

Thats my opinion. 

Cincy yes. Seattle, ehhhhhh, I thought they would if they were fully healthy. That was the week we lost Decker 

14 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

Losing Decker is huge but werent we told WR depth was a strong point going into this season. 

Next man up. 

No. What he knew is that we have young promise behind the current three. But with rookies you have growing pains. It also doens't help that the QB tries to force feed passes to one guy

Archived