Chan Gailey on Jets' Bryce Petty: 'It Helps to Play in Games'

Ken Schroy

Imagine this....Jets beat Buffalo on 1/1. Ryan Fitzpatrick starts and plays a great game.

After the game, head coach Todd Bowles says, Fitzpatrick is my starter for next season. I know he isn't under contract. Be he is my starter.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Imagine this....Jets beat Buffalo on 1/1. Ryan Fitzpatrick starts and plays a great game.

After the game, head coach Todd Bowles says, Fitzpatrick is my starter for next season. I know he isn't under contract. Be he is my starter.

Why would anyone want to imagine that? Unless you're Bill Belicheck...

5 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Why would anyone want to imagine that? Unless you're Bill Belicheck...

I didn;t want to imagine that last year but unfortunately it happened.

My post was not a suggestion that people should want to imagine that. It was more along the lines of a parody, imagine if this happened, wow that would suck kind of thing, lol.

1 minute ago, Maxman said:

On 1/2 owner Woody Johnson says, we are beginning our search for a new head coach.

I didn;t want to imagine that last year but unfortunately it happened.

My post was not a suggestion that people should want to imagine that. It was more along the lines of a parody, imagine if this happened, wow that would suck kind of thing, lol.

I get. A dose of levity, very very dark levity that Jets fans, especially long-time ones, can kind of appreciate.

Because, let's face it, it's about 50/50 that it happens. Because, at that point, he'd give the Jets their "best chance to win..."

2 hours ago, Happy Clouds said:

Whenever Bowles addresses the media about the QB's, he says things like, "WE as a coaching staff, analyzed, and discussed the  situation, and feel WE would be better off right now going with Fitz.

How much of Gailey is part of the WE?

You may have misunderstood ... what Bowles says has nothing to do with my quote of

"He def wants to see Petty now ... As he stated ... Regardless of his reason"

(He) is Chan Gailey ... Who Augustiniak was discussing in the post I responded to.

46 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Ugh. Jesus Christ, how horrifying.

3 hours ago, ljr said:

Certainly a black mark against Bowles that his OC is not towing the company line or shutting the F up ... Regardless of who you want to be the starting QB

The lack of discipline and respect for Bowles throughout this team and organization is astounding. Even though he was a bumbling idiot with QB's none of Rex's underlings ever said anything like what Gailey described. It is almost as if he is pointing a finger at Bowles and saying if Petty regresses it is his (Bowles) fault, and I agree. Even if the Jets do win a few of these games with Fitz what exactly is the upside? That Todd can go - hat in hand - to Woody and say "See the team didn't quit on me and we won six games." So freakin what. Monday night should be the LAST time we see the bearded one. Four games down the stretch, with three division games should be enough to assess Petty's readiness for 2017.

1 hour ago, phill1c said:

I get. A dose of levity, very very dark levity that Jets fans, especially long-time ones, can kind of appreciate.

Because, let's face it, it's about 50/50 that it happens. Because, at that point, he'd give the Jets their "best chance to win..."

So scary....not sure but I think we should try to go with our best chance to lose and see if the results are any different.

It is just as hard to pick that last horse as it is the winner, let's try that!

10 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So scary....not sure but I think we should try to go with our best chance to lose and see if the results are any different.

It is just as hard to pick that last horse as it is the winner, let's try that!

Um, Fitzpatrick really is our best chance to lose. Defenses have a book on him that has proven very reliable.

2 minutes ago, phill1c said:

Um, Fitzpatrick really is our best chance to lose. Defenses have a book on him that has proven very reliable.

I agree. But apparently our head coach thinks otherwise.

Cant understand why so many fans like Todd Bowles..

wait, wait...it's coming back to me, this vision...

"I'm just happy I didn't stop believing in me. You know, when the owner and GM and head coach stop believing in you, all you have is your belief in yourself..."

Strangely, there are actually still people who believe in you Fitz. Don't let the haters drag you down, bro!!

LOLOLOLOL

Petty should be starting at this point. Who's to say he will stink up the field as bad as Fitz has this season. When he throws 7 INT's in one game I will agree he is worse than Fitz. The thing that bothers me most about Bowles is his inability to motivate his players to play hard every play. Or even play hard most of the game. 34 D and blitz schemes last year gave us a damn good defense. 43 D this year not so much. The Jets are not getting to the QBs. It's giving the opposing QBs time to chew up the secondary. If you keyed on Mo like I did last week, it was nauseating watching him. He drew no double teams and was handled easily last week. He is not putting out. Period. The week Petty started, Marshall wasn't putting out. Revis (17 mil) hasn't put out all year. If a coach can't get his players to play it's far worse than bad play calls, poor clock management, etc. Although they are more nails in Bowles coffin.

7 hours ago, phill1c said:

PepPep

It seems like you somewhat contradicted yourself.

Your last paragraph seems in complete contradiction with your second paragraph. Fitzpatrick is not bad, he's THE WORST!! And he's been that more the majority of the season. Not only is he THE WORST, he is really not physically talented. So, even at his 'best', like, say, last Sunday, he's not good enough. I don't believe Bryce Petty has the experience that Fitzpatrick has. But all that experience really hasn't translated to good play on the field, not this year anyway.

I think the Jets would have a better chance at winning, now and in the future, if they let go of what isn't working. And they definitely would have a better shot at winning if they had a QB who could attack defenses consistently at ALL levels. Fitzpatrick can't do that and this reliance on 12-play drives to score is just not going to be successful ENOUGH at this level, with the players the Jets have.

Yet Prescitt can throw for 130 yards and it is good enough!! You know, SO much is relative and dependent on your teammates. If Spiller catches a pass that hits him square in the hands or if the defense makes one stop it is good enough..look at Fitz's numbers and ypa over the last three games against NE and it is clear he can make some plays down the field...and Fitz is far from the worst. His team pretty much sucks this year, though.

People need to have a better grasp of the game.You can do better than this...I hope.

12 minutes ago, UpstateJetsGuru said:

Yet Prescitt can throw for 130 yards and it is good enough!! You know, SO much is relative and dependent on your teammates. If Spiller catches a pass that hits him square in the hands or if the defense makes one stop it is good enough..look at Fitz's numbers and ypa over the last three games against NE and it is clear he can make some plays down the field...and Fitz is far from the worst. His team pretty much sucks this year, though.

People need to have a better grasp of the game.You can do better than this...I hope.

I think you mean that if everything else stayed exactly the same....blah blah blah.

But everything wouldn't have stayed the same...so NO SALE!!

I love it. when Fitz sucks, and he does, balls, it's the team. When Geno sucked, far less I would add, it's all on him.

Hilarious

13 hours ago, ljr said:

Certainly a black mark against Bowles that his OC is not towing the company line or shutting the F up ... Regardless of who you want to be the starting QB

This isn't the first time. Didn't Gailey also refer to Geno as starter in preseason this year or last, when Bowles was still saying 'competition '? Or Fitz?

6 minutes ago, Integrity28 said:

This isn't the first time. Didn't Gailey also refer to Geno as starter in preseason this year or last, when Bowles was still saying 'competition '? Or Fitz?

I was really hoping that these decisions were coming from Gailey. If they aren't then I am even more scared. If that is possible.

2 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was really hoping that these decisions were coming from Gailey. If they aren't then I am even more scared. If that is possible.

Exactly my point.

Wow I actually thought Chan was driving this. Since Bowles says he has little to do with the offence.

It turns out Chan is actually Sane, and Bowles is truly Insane.

15 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Exactly my point.

Wow I actually thought Chan was driving this. Since Bowles says he has little to do with the offence.

It turns out Chan is actually Sane, and Bowles is truly Insane.

I hope not, but the evidence is leaning that way.

So scary that Gailey could want to play Petty and for some reason Bowles isn't. Please, please, please let that not be true.

2 minutes ago, Maxman said:

So scary that Gailey could want to play Petty and for some reason Bowles isn't. Please, please, please let that not be true.

Or true since how can anyone give Bowles a 3rd year if it is?

15 minutes ago, BurnleyJet said:

Or true since how can anyone give Bowles a 3rd year if it is?

I don't think there is any way you can fire Bowles right now. Even if they end up 3 and 13. They have fired so many, so quick. I am not happy with him but you have to give him a longer leash.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I was under the same impression that Fitz was Gailey's boy. If Gailey truly wants to start Petty and Bowles is resisting, he's a dope.

4 hours ago, Maxman said:

I don't think there is any way you can fire Bowles right now. Even if they end up 3 and 13. They have fired so many, so quick. I am not happy with him but you have to give him a longer leash.

Yeah..I've agreed with this up until this morning when I read these gailey quotes. I'm still on the side of "Bowles needs more time", but I am losing patience. The team lacks leadership and lacks a professional culture that, one short year ago, we thought they had. 

Archived