Chan Gailey on Jets' Bryce Petty: 'It Helps to Play in Games'

Ken Schroy

18 minutes ago, Shadetree said:

Yeah..I've agreed with this up until this morning when I read these gailey quotes. I'm still on the side of "Bowles needs more time", but I am losing patience. The team lacks leadership and lacks a professional culture that, one short year ago, we thought they had. 

I Fear year 3 of this buffoons reign going to make Kotite look like BB. I can see it now, we are going to sign Jay Cutler. He's going to be Jay Cutler, and we will give him 3 years  at 19 per and 40 guarantied. Leaving a real mess for when the next guy gets the job.

I'm all for fair, but this guy can't coach, I thought the Dumb act was an act to deal with story hungry NY media. It turns out he's just dumb. I cant watch another year like this with no hope for the future, with Jay Cutler throwing Picks 6's. 

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's fascinating is these young HC's finally getting their big gig and then doing the same exact things that gets everyone fired. 

Why is it so hard to play the young guys and not punt on 4th and short? Bowles being in such a rush to punt the football is f'ing maddening. Why is it so hard to manage the clock? 

20 hours ago, drdetroit said:

Real reason Jets continue to start Fitz is they want to beat Rex in week 17.  The Bills will most likely be in the same position we were last year with win and get in.

No way the Bills make it in, it's the Dolphins who have the easiest schedule. That's who we need to knock off. The Bills will not see the post season. Fins are 7-4 they have the Ravens, Arizona, Jets, Bills, and Pats. Will be 10-6 most likely and grab the 6th seed. 

On 12/2/2016 at 0:03 PM, shuler82 said:

So let's get this straight...

- Bowles has admitted that he has ZERO to do with the offense. A la Rex Ryan.

- The actual guy who runs the offense thinks Petty needs to see the field.

- Ryan Fitzpatrick is still our starting QB

There's incompetence, and then there's NY Jets level of incompetence.  I can't even with this team.

Someone's lying

I done with all of this.   The Jets need a HC who understands that to win in the NFL you need a QB.   You simply cannot win Super Bowls with the Fitzpatrick's of the NFL - journeymen who have never even made the playoffs.   

I have no idea what Bowles is trying to prove with his refusal to look to the future but the only thing he's proven this year is that he is a lousy NFL head coach.   "His" defense stinks, he refuses to see what Petty or Hack can do, and he can't even get his highest paid player to show up to meetings or practice.   Awesome.   

58 minutes ago, LionelRichie said:

I done with all of this.   The Jets need a HC who understands that to win in the NFL you need a QB.   You simply cannot win Super Bowls with the Fitzpatrick's of the NFL - journeymen who have never even made the playoffs.   

I have no idea what Bowles is trying to prove with his refusal to look to the future but the only thing he's proven this year is that he is a lousy NFL head coach.   "His" defense stinks, he refuses to see what Petty or Hack can do, and he can't even get his highest paid player to show up to meetings or practice.   Awesome.   

but, but but he should get a third year.....F that...fire his ass....he is terrible.

So it is pretty obvious that when Bowles says there was "no debate" there was literally no debate he just announced Fitz stays starter....Bowles may actually be the worst Jets coach of them all, he is completely clueless, Rex is only 80% clueless or so....

On 12/2/2016 at 0:03 PM, shuler82 said:

So let's get this straight...

- Bowles has admitted that he has ZERO to do with the offense. A la Rex Ryan.

- The actual guy who runs the offense thinks Petty needs to see the field.

- Ryan Fitzpatrick is still our starting QB

There's incompetence, and then there's NY Jets level of incompetence.  I can't even with this team.

So let's get this straight.  Jets fans whine that Bowles doesn't involved enough in what the offense does, leaves too much up to Gaily.  On this case Bowles makes the decisions over his OC and Jets fans moan that he's just a old school defensive coach who shouldn't be involved.

interesting 

This is an indictment on the Jets mgmt they are lost. Bowles is trying to save his job. Does it matter if they win one or two more hands! We don't know for sure just won't win a game with Patty. Todd Bowles can't hold you! If you don't play petty then play hack

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, mkajet01 said:

This is an indictment on the Jets mgmt they are lost. Bowles is trying to save his job. Does it matter if they win one or two more hands! We don't know for sure just won't win a game with Patty. Todd Bowles can't hold you! If you don't play petty then play hack

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Does this post make any sense to anyone?  If so please translate!

This thread is crazy. What was actually said in the article that is earth shattering? That young players might improve if they get more reps. Duhh...I think Bowles feels the same way but he simply does not feel he is ready AT THIS POINT IN TIME. Big deal. He will probably put Petty in after the Indy game or the next game. So 4-5 games is not enough game time experience. 

What happens if he puts Petty in two games ago, even in his judgment that the QB is not ready, and the Jets get their asses blown out by 30 or more points each game. That Petty is not even functional and sucks it up. You have more than 1/3 of the season to go and you have committed to the QB. It would be hard to go back to Fitz at that point. When teams are non-competitive because the QB is not ready and he is just put in there because fans want to see it, the entire team will suffer -- that is, the development of all the young players will be stunted.

My guess is that Bowles wants to see the team play in a competitive environment until 3-4 games left in the season. Say what you want about Fitz but the Jets have been competitive in virtually every game he has played (and Jets would have 5 wins if Folk kicks extra point and field (Cincy), the ST does not give up a TD return (Miami)). We have simply not been able to do anything in the 4th quarter of games. That is a different issue  but we have been competitive with Fitz. 

If we are not competitive the last 3-4 games with Petty then so be it. But you can't subject the entire team to a decision that can make them not even be able to compete. 

Bowles job is to win games and then not to get blown out in games.   I don't know there is such a mystery about that.

His job is to do that job until his boss tells him that he has a different job.  His boss is Woody.  Even if his boss was a GM who has basically multiple jobs (win now, win later), one of the GM or Woody would need to tell him that he had a different job-to evaluate and develop players for next year and the future.

Hopefully Woody tells Bowles before the end of the season that his job is to win, but win with Petty and Hack.  If he was smart, he would guarantee his job for 2017.  If not, he could basically fire him and make Gailey interim head coach and try that.  

I suspect that there may be staffing issues.  Bowles needs to makes rue he has the staff to both prepare for the season and develop for the future.  I is telling and indictable that it has been rumored that Hack has basically done nothing this season to improve his mechanics, and his reps likely have been scarce.

Woody's track record in playing for the next season as oppposed to trying to win garbage games is not good.  

I get the Colts game.  Let's see what they do with the rest of the games.

10 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What you see is what you get with Bowles expecting anything different only sets you up for failure. 

If that is the case you cannot disregard a 10-6 record from a 4-12 record the prior year. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

3 minutes ago, SBBound said:

If that is the case you cannot disregard a 10-6 record from a 4-12 record the prior year. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

The truth is in 2015 we played the easiest schedule in the NFL and only beat 2 teams with winning records. 

Bowels is a very poor decision maker on and off the field. 

Any head coach who allows the players to run things is very short lived in the NFL,hopefully Woody and Macc feel the same way. 

23 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

The truth is in 2015 we played the easiest schedule in the NFL and only beat 2 teams with winning records. 

Bowels is a very poor decision maker on and off the field. 

Any head coach who allows the players to run things is very short lived in the NFL,hopefully Woody and Macc feel the same way. 

In the big picture, I do not believe Woody improves the long term value of his team by firing Bowles this season with the plan to conduct another one of his first time HC from the batch of successful coordinators (or less) adventures.  No self-respecting coach would work here, particularly given the issues with how the Jets roster was constructed (DTs, no EDGE, 4 TEs who can't play, no OL depth, old RBs, and overpaid PR related signings).  For everyone's benefit, Woody needs to fits the Team's structure and try to do better next year, except if.....

A proven HC comes available, Woody should bail on Bowles and possibly even Macc and go for it.

Chan is going to hang it up after this season.   You watch, he will not be able to handle working for Bowles. 

New system for the kids next year. Them and the vet that is brought in and who will play over them.  

If i was Macc I would cut Fitz, then ask Bowles "what are you going to do now"

On 12/4/2016 at 1:08 AM, Jet Nut said:

So let's get this straight.  Jets fans whine that Bowles doesn't involved enough in what the offense does, leaves too much up to Gaily.  On this case Bowles makes the decisions over his OC and Jets fans moan that he's just a old school defensive coach who shouldn't be involved.

interesting 

Bowles is who he is. There are plenty of successful coaches who stick to their side of the ball and hire competent people to coach the other side. Rare is the guy who oversees all facets of a football team. That being said, Bowles has admitted he lets Gailey run the offense. So let Gailey make the personnel decisions on that side of the ball. 

Why can't the Jets get their s*** together with the QBs. Year after year with coaches that come and go but it's been a QB problem for what seems like an eternity. NFL has become a QB league for a long time. Great teams have great QBs for the most part. Good grief man! Time to make a decision to see if what we need is on the team or go get someone who can win it. Easier said than done I guess.

On 12/4/2016 at 1:07 PM, RutgersJetFan said:

Wait, I'm confused here and behind on some stuff. Did Bowles really say that? Did he really say that he doesn't think you can best evaluate football players when they are playing in football games? Please tell me he didn't say that.

When asked about using games to evaluate Petty and Hack so he'd know more about them, he said he already knows a "great deal" about them from watching them in practice.

12 minutes ago, AFJF said:

When asked about using games to evaluate Petty and Hack so he'd know more about them, he said he already knows a "great deal" about them from watching them in practice.

I guess Bowles is such a superior head coach that we mere mortal fans can't comprehend what a genius of a HC he really is.

Archived