Build the run game ...

Jerichoholic

Cutler, Romo, Glennon, Geno, Petty, Hack, Watson, Kizer, Trubiski ...

Does this list of potential 2017 starting qbs inspire confidence in anyone?

The long term answer won't be on the roster in 2017 (unless something miraculous happens with petty or hack)

So, let's create an environment for a long term answer to be successful.

We have a young wr corp capable of finding success. But ...

The oline has little depth, doesn't create holes or get much second level blocking, and rarely maintains a clean pocket.

Forte doesn't have much left and has largely the same skill set as Powell. Also how many different backups have we gone through for these two this season? 4? No depth here either.

Time to start a real rebuild on O.

RB and o line 2017 draft - make the jets fly again.

Sent from my iPhone using JetNation.com mobile app

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

every year they change the rules to make the QB more important. if you have a QB (like Luck) and a couple of good Receivers (Hilton, moncrief), that's pretty much all you need to win.

They have a couple interesting WR actually but Without a QB they are just moving deck chairs around on the titanic

put it another way the Cowboys' situation doesn't workout as well without Dak's emergence 

every year they change the rules to make the QB more important. if you have a QB (like Luck) and a couple of good Receivers (Hilton, moncrief), that's pretty much all you need to win.
They have a couple interesting WR actually but Without a QB they are just moving deck chairs around on the titanic
put it another way the Cowboys' situation doesn't workout as well without Dak's emergence 

Sure ... but to put it another way ... what would mariotta's growth look like without Murray and the recent investment on the oline. And to continue the chicken and egg argument, would Prescott's emergence have been as pronounced without Elliot and the line?

I see no hope in the FA qb market or draft. This is not a one year fix ... so I hope that resources this year go toward creating a successful environment for a 2018 Qb

You are right on both counts the Titans and Boys OL help those teams but building everything but a QB in the hopes that a QB will show up in 2018 and save the day is a really depressing way forward. It just means the Jets will lose a ton of games. They will become a losing program instead of a mediocre program. 

the draft is a crap shoot, the average career length in the NFL is three years, the multi year rebuild is pretty much a myth these days.  They need to do what they can every offseason to make a run that next season. Side note I really like Jimmy Garoppolo and hope the Pats can't find a trade partner and he gets to FA. 

getting the oline fixed has got to be a priority. after that, secondary and qb.  i may be the only one left but if the oline was solid fitz could still be qb.  once the oline is solid the run game becomes a reality and teams will have to play close to the line to stop the run. 

1 hour ago, bitonti said:

Ya think, maybe, that the fact Dallas has the best Offensive Line in the league by a decent margin has anything to do with their success?  Maybe?!?!

It takes 3 to 4 years to build a top tier O-Line.  If you draft the right guys that is...

Garopplo is as much of a crapshoot as petty and hack (imho).

I'd rather invest in drafting a strong young supporting cast and see what we've got/give them a real opportunity to develop.

Screw free agency.

So what if we loose a bunch next year? No different than this year ... except the potential of drafting a franchise qb will be greater.

Mediocre with minimal chance of doing legit rebuilding by 2018

Fournette is an upgrade. A real threat at RB will protect the young QB and the current corps of WR's can stretch the field enough to make teams play honest.

This will also provide the Jets time to build a very strong OL the following draft. The need for a speed rushing DE in round two is greater than the need for OL IMO 

1 hour ago, Jerichoholic said:

Cutler, Romo, Glennon, Geno, Petty, Hack, Watson, Kizer, Trubiski ...

Does this list of potential 2017 starting qbs inspire confidence in anyone?

The long term answer won't be on the roster in 2017 (unless something miraculous happens with petty or hack)

So, let's create an environment for a long term answer to be successful.

We have a young wr corp capable of finding success. But ...

The oline has little depth, doesn't create holes or get much second level blocking, and rarely maintains a clean pocket.

Forte doesn't have much left and has largely the same skill set as Powell. Also how many different backups have we gone through for these two this season? 4? No depth here either.

Time to start a real rebuild on O.

RB and o line 2017 draft - make the jets fly again.

Great post. It's not very sexy to draft an O-lineman in the early rounds. But it'll pay dividends in 2-3 years down the line.

52 minutes ago, RoadFan said:

Ya think, maybe, that the fact Dallas has the best Offensive Line in the league by a decent margin has anything to do with their success?  Maybe?!?!

It takes 3 to 4 years to build a top tier O-Line.  If you draft the right guys that is...

it does have an effect (which i actually said in the first line of the post above) but there's no Tyron Smith in this draft. 

46 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Fournette is an upgrade. A real threat at RB will protect the young QB and the current corps of WR's can stretch the field enough to make teams play honest.

This will also provide the Jets time to build a very strong OL the following draft. The need for a speed rushing DE in round two is greater than the need for OL IMO 

A great RB without a great OL is Todd Gurley. Let's not waste a 1st Rd pick on a RB that will get beat up for 3 years until we figure out our OL situation. When we finally get a good OL and a QB, Fournette will be a shell of his current self. 

I love Fournette, but not sure it makes sense for this team. 

A great RB without a great OL is Todd Gurley. Let's not waste a 1st Rd pick on a RB that will get beat up for 3 years until we figure out our OL situation. When we finally get a good OL and a QB, Fournette will be a shell of his current self. 

But what if fournette was followed by o-line at 2,3 and4?

9 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Upgrade at RT and this OL is very adequate. Johnson at C an Ijalana at LT can hold the fort for one season. Rounds 3,4 and beyond can also help address the OL this season. Rounds 1 and 2 need to help elsewhere. There may also be. Good pick up in the FA market. Fournette if available is a must for this team

9 minutes ago, Jetdawgg said:

Upgrade at RT and this OL is very adequate. Johnson at C an Ijalana at LT can hold the fort for one season. Rounds 3,4 and beyond can also help address the OL this season. Rounds 1 and 2 need to help elsewhere. There may also be. Good pick up in the FA market. Fournette if available is a must for this team

Ijalana has been awful at LT. Johnson has been average at C. It'd be best to get an LT and move Ijalana back to RT. Winters is probably going for better money elsewhere, so they will need an RG as well. Fournette is a good player, but they need to get better value in the top five than RB. If it isn't there, then trade back with someone foolish enough to draft a RB top five.

1 minute ago, CrazyCarl40 said:

Ijalana has been awful at LT. Johnson has been average at C. It'd be best to get an LT and move Ijalana back to RT. Winters is probably going for better money elsewhere, so they will need an RG as well. Fournette is a good player, but they need to get better value in the top five than RB. If it isn't there, then trade back with someone foolish enough to draft a RB top five.

Agreed. People are being fooled by Ezekiel, not fully appreciating the Dallas Oline. Again, just look at how Gurley is doing this year with a weak OL, young/weak QB... he is TERRIBLE. Not even bad, TERRIBLE. 

Watch Fournette against Alabama this year. Fournette put up 280 yards against an AWFUL Ole Miss, then put up 35 yards on 17 carries against Bama. He can't do it alone. Fournette could be a pro bowler next year if he lands with the right team. I just don't think we are that team. 

Fournette would be a Woody Johnson pick. A pick to get the fans excited. But I just don't think it's the right time. I'd trade down for an OL and take a RB next year if you want and the crop is stronger. Saquon Barkley is going to be a super star. 

In the same vein, if we were to take a RB, the RB I would take is Dalvin Cook. He is more explosive and elusive. Something that would work with a weakish Oline. He can also be better out of the backfield to help out a young QB with check down options. 

I wouldn't take Cook with the 4th pick, but if we  trade down he could be a steal in the middle of the draft. He is Jamall Charles type player. 

EntireAlarmingIndianpangolin.gif

_hpL-y.gif

Here are a couple of others I couldn't attach:

http://i.imgur.com/6mrtvZb.mp4

http://i.imgur.com/H1yF6Zl.mp4

Big Fan of cook just not sure he a Every down back on the NFL level . Were we know Fornette is Alpha Back he takes a lot of contact and runs between the tackles .. He will be the kinda guy that will be having 100 yard games on a cold day in December ..  

Ground and pound

facepalm-ernie.jpg

Not ground and pound. Invest in offensive positions that will pay dividends over the next three years. No tight end. No DE. No early round lb. no safety. No wr. No flash in the pan, put us behind 3 years early round qb!!!

Defense can take a competitive rebuild approach.

Offense needs a total Rebuild now!!! And it should start with the line/RB position to alleviate pressure on a very tenuous qb position .... because that all important position can't and won't be adequately addressed this offseason in any sustainable fashion. Period.

2 hours ago, RoadFan said:

Dallas had the top oline in the game last year as well and they won 4 games.  They are back to being elite this year because they now have a QB and a dominant RB.

Teams need good components all over to be good.

I found this article about offensive lines interesting :

http://www.nfl.com/labs/sidelines/oline/desktop/offensive-lines.html

Not sure how robust the overall scoring methodology is, but the one area we do really well in is average rushing yards before contact, at 2.6. Bills, Cowboys, Titans and Packers are the teams above us on that front. Overall we're ranked 9th - like I say, not sure on the statistical accuracy, but it doesn't paint a picture of a terrible unit, especially given the injuries we've had there.

3 hours ago, bitonti said:

While I get the point you're making, I'm not sure the 6-6 Colts are the best example to be using. ;-) 

11 minutes ago, Scoop24 said:

Big Fan of cook just not sure he a Every down back on the NFL level . Were we know Fornette is Alpha Back he takes a lot of contact and runs between the tackles .. He will be the kinda guy that will be having 100 yard games on a cold day in December ..  

I'm not at all sold on Fournette, ankle or not his last three games 35 yards, 98 yards and 40 yards in games that it counted most. 3.7 ypc  He already has a lot of miles on him.  Would rather have cook later on.

Dallas had the top oline in the game last year as well and they won 4 games.  They are back to being elite this year because they now have a QB and a dominant RB.

Teams need good components all over to be good.

And Dallas has done that without a great defense....

And we ain't going to find a qb this year. We are solid enough at wide receiver for the next three years. ALL of our first round picks have been on defense for the last billion years.

This draft needs to produce starting RB and oline talent.

Just now, Jerichoholic said:

And we ain't going to find a qb this year. We are solid enough at wide receiver for the next three years. ALL of our first round picks have been on defense for the last billion years.

This draft needs to produce starting RB and oline talent.

I'm totally fine with this.  By the sounds of it we are the usual unlucky jets though as by all accounts at this time there is no ultra blue chip tackle we can take with our 1st ala D/Brick.  I am hoping we can acquire more picks in the 2nd /3rd round and double or triple dip on the oline.

9 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm totally fine with this.  By the sounds of it we are the usual unlucky jets though as by all accounts at this time there is no ultra blue chip tackle we can take with our 1st ala D/Brick.  I am hoping we can acquire more picks in the 2nd /3rd round and double or triple dip on the oline.

when it comes to finding left tackles, Quantity rarely equals quality. These guys are almost always high first round picks. Alternatively, some are gifted Jason peter/Jared Veldheer projects but those take years to develop. if the team wants a starter they have to go first round and if there are no first round OT that means there are probably not any "instant starters" in this draft

16 minutes ago, Beerfish said:

I'm not at all sold on Fournette, ankle or not his last three games 35 yards, 98 yards and 40 yards in games that it counted most. 3.7 ypc  He already has a lot of miles on him.  Would rather have cook later on.

He played on a high ankle sprain all season and still looked like an all world back except against Bama who put 10 men in the Box . Like the Jets, LSU lacked the QB to take advantage of that situation.

2 minutes ago, 56mehl56 said:

He played on a high ankle sprain all season and still looked like an all world back except against Bama who put 10 men in the Box . Like the Jets, LSU lacked the QB to take advantage of that situation.

I'll just say that I'll be right pissed if they take him with their 1st pick.  He's no zeke Elliot.  We will have to agree to disagree on this one.

56 minutes ago, JoJoTownsell1 said:

Agreed. People are being fooled by Ezekiel, not fully appreciating the Dallas Oline. Again, just look at how Gurley is doing this year with a weak OL, young/weak QB... he is TERRIBLE. Not even bad, TERRIBLE. 

Watch Fournette against Alabama this year. Fournette put up 280 yards against an AWFUL Ole Miss, then put up 35 yards on 17 carries against Bama. He can't do it alone. Fournette could be a pro bowler next year if he lands with the right team. I just don't think we are that team. 

Fournette would be a Woody Johnson pick. A pick to get the fans excited. But I just don't think it's the right time. I'd trade down for an OL and take a RB next year if you want and the crop is stronger. Saquon Barkley is going to be a super star. 

First off Bama's D is no joke, it would give many NFL teams a run for their money . Second - Bama's entire gameplan was to stop Fournette , 10 men in the box . Like the Jets this season LSU had a weak armed QB and a propensity to be conservative on offense. WIth Petty or w/o Fitz an NFL offense should be able to take advantage of a stacked box, when that happens space gets created in both the passing and running game. This is the main reason Fitz needed to see the bench earlier this season , it made the Jets too one dimensional.

Archived