Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Maxman

If everything breaks right, what is the upper win total?

106 posts in this topic

If everything breaks right then we go 1-15, don't screw up the draft and get the QB of our dreams.

If things go the other way I can see the defense being pretty good right away and possibly even better than that.  So how many wins can we get with a really good defense and an offense that is mostly being carried?  Maybe as many as 10 but I will stick with my 1-15 dreams.

If everything breaks right the team could make the playoffs. But in that scenario that means that Hackenberg is the real deal. If he's the real deal, and shows he's a franchise QB (which I don't think he is) we could be a top team. If you have a QB you can win any game

The Jets will win 7 games this season and it will be the most glorious 7 wins ever won.

I'd say 5-6 games. If things break right that means they should at least win the games we would expect them to against teams like the Jags and Browns. Then throw on top of that some lucky breaks. 

I have a feeling Jets will win more games then we want them to within the first 8 weeks. Unless our QBs just flat out suck and throw multiple picks every game. 

14 hours ago, Maxman said:

Everything goes right. Hackenberg or Petty win the job and show promise. The defense improves, Claiborne stays healthy. The offensive line plays as well as you can expect from them.

I know, a lot of if's. But the question is, if everything breaks right, how many games can this team win?

I'd say 7 wins. But thats assuming Hacks takes a big leap, same for Robbie, and we face no real injury issues. 

Having said that, Hack isn't taking a big leap and Robbie will be limited imo. Its only a matter of time before we see Claiborne on the IR and we'll be stuck with no-name CBs and rookie safeties. All that combined, we might end up with 4 wins, which sucks cuz we'll be picking 6th overall again next year and miss out on every QB. 

1 hour ago, JiF said:

The Jets will win 7 games this season and it will be the most glorious 7 wins ever won.

And no Darnold or Allen and we still have no qb

Lovely

We win > 3 games and everything just broke wrong. 

56 minutes ago, thadude said:

And no Darnold or Allen and we still have no qb

Lovely

Jets life, baby!!!

1 hour ago, j4jets said:

I'd say 7 wins. But thats assuming Hacks takes a big leap, same for Robbie, and we face no real injury issues. 

Having said that, Hack isn't taking a big leap and Robbie will be limited imo. Its only a matter of time before we see Claiborne on the IR and we'll be stuck with no-name CBs and rookie safeties. All that combined, we might end up with 4 wins, which sucks cuz we'll be picking 6th overall again next year and miss out on every QB. 

Perhaps. Could also mean the team started out 4-2 before McCown gets injured, then 3-7 thereafter with Hackenberg (those wins coming despite the offense scoring ≤10 points in each). Then we'd still need a QB and we're picking 11th.

Unlikely as such a season is to repeat, don't forget we did win 8 games in 2013 (with a 9th win well within reach from week 2, and an additional 2 more losses with the defense holding the opposition under 20). So that sh*tbox team was still within reach of 10-11 wins with Josh McCown's level of QBing.

6 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

Jets win seven games this year:

Jets fans-- "YA BABY THATS WHAT IM TALKING ABOUT"

Jets go 4-12 in 2018:

Jets fans-- "THIS WAS THE PLAN"

Change the channel. I've seen this one already.

15 hours ago, T0mShane said:

Worst possible things that can happen to the 2017 New York Jets, in reverse order:

3. Geno Smith, 2017 Super Bowl MVP.

2. Plane crash.

1. Winning more than three games.

1. Bullsh*t.

How does a young team mostly made up with pieces we'll want to use over the next half decade getting more than three wins a bad thing? **** cheering for draft position and **** this savior QB bullsh*t. If we win more than most prognosticate us to its nothing but a good thing, it means the players we already HAVE on roster are developing and we don't have to hold out on hope that one dude is gonna save a horrible roster of young players who did horribly.

I can see being upset if McCown played like an all-pro because he's not the future, but other than that I will never understand this mentality that failure will lead to success.

Those QB's aren't the future, not yet at least. This team, right now, is the future, cheer them on.

8 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

1. Bullsh*t.

How does a young team mostly made up with pieces we'll want to use over the next half decade getting more than three wins a bad thing? **** cheering for draft position and **** this savior QB bullsh*t. If we win more than most prognosticate us to its nothing but a good thing, it means the players we already HAVE on roster are developing and we don't have to hold out on hope that one dude is gonna save a horrible roster of young players who did horribly.

I can see being upset if McCown played like an all-pro because he's not the future, but other than that I will never understand this mentality that failure will lead to success.

Those QB's aren't the future, not yet at least. This team, right now, is the future, cheer them on.

With your species, do you emerge from pods as fully-grown adults but without the sentient awareness?

If we win 10 games this year it basically means we found ourselves a QB.  If we win one game this year it means we have a legitimate shot at a franchise QB in next year's draft.

Or we could win six or seven games, miss out on a franchise QB and remain mired in the swamp.  I wonder which of these outcomes is the most likely for a Jets team 

Jets win 10 games still miss playoffs, Bowles pronounces McCown 2018 starter after week 17 loss to the Patriot backups, after McCown had his best year as a pro QB, but not under contract with Jets for 2018.  

13 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

1. Bullsh*t.

The curry I ate for dinner last night is also developing as I write this.  Even so, the chances are quite small of it turning out to be anything other than sh1t even though "development" does indeed continue.

P.S.  We have tried your asinine way for the least three lifetimes it seems.  How about we try it this way just this once?

If EVERYTHING went right:

Hack and/or Petty, though showing an obvious learning curve also show an aptitude for running the offense that's enough prove they're worth giving another year.

Kelvin Beachum and Muhammad Wilkerson's poor 2016 turn out to be side effects of their prior injuries and they return to form.

Wesley Johnson and Brandon Shell are the two latest products of Steve Marshall's positive coaching and help secure our O-line's future.

Enunwa and Anderson handle the load while some of the other WR's come along in their own roles behind them.

ASJ's life makeover translates on the field.

The running game is stable ( the most likely thing to happen here)

Kevin Greene works magic with the OLB's and they're a constant source of pressure.

SOMEBODY (preferably Lee) steps up on the inside.

The safety's are LEGIT.

Morris Claiborne doesn't burst into flames on the field at any point (the least likely thing to happen) and Burris makes strides on the opposite side.

Edwards improves and our new kicker (I honestly forgot his name) doesn't miss a beat.

After ALL that... this team is still probably a 500. team at best. It would take some outside factors to get the Jets to the playoffs, teams that SHOULD beat us on paper having a bad game or unfortunate injury, something along those lines. This is a full on rebuild team, we'll be fortunate if we get half of what I listed there, especially the QB line.

17 hours ago, Maxman said:

Everything goes right. Hackenberg or Petty win the job and show promise. The defense improves, Claiborne stays healthy. The offensive line plays as well as you can expect from them.

I know, a lot of if's. But the question is, if everything breaks right, how many games can this team win?

0.. Seriously,.. zero ! 

11 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

With your species, do you emerge from pods as fully-grown adults but without the sentient awareness?

1 minute ago, EM31 said:

The curry I ate for dinner last night is also developing as I write this.  Even so, the chances are quite small of it turning out to be anything other than sh1t even though "development" does indeed continue.

P.S.  We have tried your asinine way for the least three lifetimes it seems.  How about we try it this way just this once?

I want this team to have a bright future. Seeing as how almost every prospective starting player on this team save for McCown and the running backs can conceivably be a part of this team for at least half decade it makes no sense for me to root for their failure- or the losses that come with it.

Adams and Maye being the next great safety tandem, the offensive weapons producing well beyond their paygrade, the O-line holding firm, the Linebackers being used to potential, HackenPetty providing a slid foundation for future growth- THATS what I want to see and that's what bodes best for this team's future.

I'm not saying its going to happen, my head says maybe half of that happened and we finish with about 4 wins after all is said and done, but that's the best case scenario. If we get all that and we go 6-10 rather than 2-14 or something, that's alright with me- because we've got a solid foundation from pieces who will stick around a while.

I refuse to fear SUCCESS. Wins are not our enemy. They're WINS.

12 minutes ago, Tony MaC said:

I want this team to have a bright future. Seeing as how almost every prospective starting player on this team save for McCown and the running backs can conceivably be a part of this team for at least half decade it makes no sense for me to root for their failure- or the losses that come with it.

Adams and Maye being the next great safety tandem, the offensive weapons producing well beyond their paygrade, the O-line holding firm, the Linebackers being used to potential, HackenPetty providing a slid foundation for future growth- THATS what I want to see and that's what bodes best for this team's future.

I'm not saying its going to happen, my head says maybe half of that happened and we finish with about 4 wins after all is said and done, but that's the best case scenario. If we get all that and we go 6-10 rather than 2-14 or something, that's alright with me- because we've got a solid foundation from pieces who will stick around a while.

I refuse to fear SUCCESS. Wins are not our enemy. They're WINS.

Thank you! If they can win with this roster, the coaching staff might be worth keeping. A lot of people don't even want to consider that.

8 hours ago, jamesr said:

My concern is that teams that have these "out of nowhere" type seasons tend to emerge as the year goes on - they don't show up Day 1 and rattle of 8 wins in their first 10 games. It takes time for things to fall into place, players to 'gel' etc.

At the same time, our early schedule is our best chance at winning games against opposition that is of a similar status to us ... untried, untested, more potential than production.

So our "best scenario" may end up being somewhat convoluted ...

• McCown starts, and does enough to win us a few early games while the O line, defense get their game together
  • At some point, for some reason, the switch is made to Petty / Hack, and the now-buzzing defense and an O line that has worked together enough allow us to play aggressive, confident football (i.e. not run-run-pass-punt) and the QB flourishes

Even then I'm seeing at best 7-8 wins. But if we got the "QB flourishes" part out of the above, I'd dare say it would be worth it.

I see nothing in McCowns history at QB to suggest he is more likely to win than Hack or Petty. He pretty much sucks, but coaches "like" him. Sort of an even crappier version of Fitz who was the worst QB in the NFL last year. Throw Hack out there and let him learn. Only reasonable thing to do.

4 minutes ago, Maxman said:

Thank you! If they can win with this roster, the coaching staff might be worth keeping. A lot of people don't even want to consider that.

I can ride my dog to the mall, but that doesn't mean I don't need a car.

8 minutes ago, T0mShane said:

I can ride my dog to the mall, but that doesn't mean I don't need a car.

Tom they do background checks on dog owners before they let you adopt these days.

We all know you are taking your car. What we don't want to know is what those cries for help coming from the trunk are all about.