Sheldon Traded

AFJF

10 hours ago, Philc1 said:

Mac got extremely lucky the Seahawks offered a second.  Clearly the are in win-now mode now that Sherman will probably be gone after this season.

Mac got very lucky, but this was a logical move for a team that wants to win-now.   Dallas last year was illogical, and they paid for it and will pay for it.  I worry though that this encourages Mac to be obstinate, seeing that it actually worked once.

10 hours ago, dbatesman said:

This is dead-on. A 2 + a veteran is a lot more than I thought Maccagnan's dumb ass would ever net for Richardson, so in that sense the trade is a success. That said, trading a borderline-great 26-year-old for a half-decent #3 wideout and what will probably end up being the 63rd pick in the draft bespeaks a comprehensive organization-wide failure of resource allocation, player development, and roster management. You can like the trade qua the trade and still hate that we're in a position where we have to be making a trade like this at all.

I am all for BPA, but I think the exceptions are that you reach for a QB if you don't have one, you grade your BPA on position value, and you don't draft a BPA if you are already covered for the position he plays.  

8 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

Based on where we're at today, it's a very good trade. There's more to it, in that time didn't just begin with the Jets in this situation, so it's part of some past failures that we're where we are and that can't be ignored.

However, given where we are, IMO this was a no-brainer and luckily Seattle was willing to pay Sheldon $8m (on top of the 2nd rounder next year) when nobody else in the league would.

• This team had too many DTs for the past 2 years; making it 3 years wouldn't help anything no matter how talented Sheldon is
  • We aren't competing in 2017, so paying Sheldon $8m effectively robs it from 2018 not 2017
  • Mo and Leo are locked in, no matter what anyone says about being able to get out of Mo's contract next year. They were never going to dump Mo and lock up Sheldon.
  • When it's time to bump Leo's money, then dump Mo as well. A successful team doesn't sink about $40m/year into a pair of slow DLmen who can't generally get to the QB outside of coverage sacks.
  • Sheldon is a 5th wheel here. He has a good place in Seattle because he belongs inside as a gap-shooter next to another DT/NT, with both of these DTs in between a pair of edge-rushing DEs. Our DL of Mo-Sheldon-McLendon-Leo would likely be the slowest DL in the NFL, no matter how good they are at run-stopping or how talented the 3 younger ones are.
  • It's way past due to dump one of Mo or Sheldon once Leo was drafted, but better late than never (which is where we were headed).

The team's singular goal in the next 8 months is securing a high enough pick to draft the best young QB we can get our hands on (while leaving as much cap room as possible to surround said QB with the best available veterans). Once Seattle made this offer I don't see how we could turn it down.

^ This is a brilliant summary of what is happening.

3 hours ago, AFJF said:

I think it's a legit gripe if there aren't two known factors

1- Multiple off field issues that will lead to lengthy suspension if he has another incident

2- The player himself has said he plays hard because he wants a big pay day.  Once he gets the pay day, nobody knows what they're getting.

Those are two huge risks for a player who is going to ask to be a top paid defensive player IMO.

The Jets are in a disadvantage for being in NY/NJ. For starters, its players have to pay higher local taxes and housing costs.  In addition, there are too many distractions and bad media in the region.  They need to take that into account when investing draft picks in players-they basically have to draft choir boys.  SR was never going to get a long-term contract from Woody, and I don't blame him.

SR should be on the Kirk Cousins annual contract program.

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AFJF said:

Anyone knocking this trade isn't doing it for football reasons IMO.  It's disdain for Mac who they'd rip if he found a way to get Dak from Jerruh.

I know you're the cat that got the canary today because Maccc finally made a trade for something better than a handful of magic beans, but this is an awfully creative reading of the criticisms. Yes, a 2 and a veteran for a dope who's only cost-controlled through this season is fine. It's not so fine that we're trading a really talented 26-year-old for the 63rd pick in the draft because we have three of him and zero of everything else.

2 minutes ago, dbatesman said:

I know you're the cat that got the canary today because Maccc has finally proven all the haters wrong, but this is an awfully creative reading of the criticisms. Yes, a 2 and a veteran for a dope who's only cost-controlled through this season is fine. It's not so fine that we're trading a really talented 26-year-old for the 63rd pick in the draft because we have three of him and zero of everything else.

Macro vs micro completely. Basically, this is making the most out of a broken situation, which given Mac's poor track record is something to applaud. However, the series of bad decisions preceding this trade necessitated that we accumulate draft assets at the expense of a talented player entering his prime years. 

Kind of like a drunk guy driving his car into a telephone pole, but thank god he wore his seat belt because it could've been a lot worse. 

31 minutes ago, Lith said:

To be fair, as you point out, he was able to get out of some of his bad contracts with limited impact and others signings were not expected to be long term.  And had we won that damn game in Buffalo he probably would be looked at a lot differently, but we didn't.

I am not a fan of Macc, but getting back to the topic of this thread -- I think he got a great deal for Sheldon.  Hopefully we will be able to get our QB next season with a Top 3 pick, and then with two 2s, we would have the flexibility to move back into the first round and get the left tackle who is going to protect that QB for the next decade.  If we actually decide to spend some valuable draft resources on the OL for a change.  Good trade.

The thing is it's uncommon for contracts to have more than 2 years guaranteed anyway (particularly older veterans, where it's super rare). So I wish people would stop typing this as though it was some shewd planning rather than commonplace around the league. Few non-elite players get >2 years guaranteed, and those that do will often/typically exchange that higher # of guaranteed years for lower amount per year. There are obvious exceptions (e.g. Tannenbaum's mindless 2nd-last David Harris contract at 4 yrs $36m with $29m guaranteed) but again these types of deals are far less common.

Plus with the way the current CBA's cap rules work, overpaying for players makes it irrelevant that the overpayment occurred over a shorter span. Does it matter if Revis was guaranteed $40m over 3 years or if it was over 2 years or 4 years? Not really. Would it matter if Cromartie got $7m guaranteed all in year 1 or if the $7m guarantees were spread over 3 years? No. You have to pay the guaranteed amount regardless of the time span.

Likewise, the team has a spending ceiling over a span of 4 years, not 4 successive 1-year hard caps. So it's not as though there's a clean slate now. He wasted like $200m (and he's only in his 3rd season here!) while still failing to keep a young stud player who was exactly the type of locker room presence we wanted to keep, and left the team with holes galore despite it all; there is just no way to sugarcoat that.

I do agree this was a good trade, but it only looks better because he played such a large role in setting up this horrible situation to begin with.

11 hours ago, fusionCA said:

so it was the Jets fault Richardson behave like a stupid criminal and make it impossible to give him a contract?

if the Jets would give Richardson a huge contract like he wants and then he would get suspended for failing a test fans like you will blame Mac for doing the wrong thing again.

Richardson is an idiot and trading was the best thing this summer

It was making the best of a bad situation. And you cannot separate Richardson the football talent for Richardson the off the field moron. And if you kept him around, he will spend from Thanksgiving on babbling about his need for a new long-term JJ Watt big money contract. And the Jets rightly, who ever the GM is around New Years Day 2018, are not writing those checks.

I doubt anyone in the NFL is. Seahawks have a window of right now and are going for it. Makes a world of sense for them. But don't expect them to screw up their cap by overpaying this dolt for 2018. No one in Seattle is going to care at all about Richardson whining for a 2018 and beyond contract because they aren't giving it to him. 

1 minute ago, Bugg said:

It was making the best of a bad situation. And you cannot separate Richardson the football talent for Richardson the off the field moron. And if you kept him around, he will spend from Thanksgiving on babbling about his need for a new long-term JJ Watt big money contract. And the Jets rightly, who ever the GM is around New Years Day 2018, are not writing those checks.

I doubt anyone in the NFL is. Seahawks have a window of right now and are going for it. Makes a world of sense for them. But don't expect them to screw up their cap by overpaying this dolt for 2018. No one in Seattle is going to care at all about Richardson whining for a 2018 and beyond contract because they aren't giving it to him. 

How would you feel if he goes to Seattle is put back into his natural position and turns into another JJ Watt. 

27 minutes ago, varjet said:

Mac got very lucky, but this was a logical move for a team that wants to win-now.   Dallas last year was illogical, and they paid for it and will pay for it.  I worry though that this encourages Mac to be obstinate, seeing that it actually worked once.

I am all for BPA, but I think the exceptions are that you reach for a QB if you don't have one, you grade your BPA on position value, and you don't draft a BPA if you are already covered for the position he plays.  

^ This is a brilliant summary of what is happening.

The Jets are in a disadvantage for being in NY/NJ. For starters, its players have to pay higher local taxes and housing costs.  In addition, there are too many distractions and bad media in the region.  They need to take that into account when investing draft picks in players-they basically have to draft choir boys.  SR was never going to get a long-term contract from Woody, and I don't blame him.

SR should be on the Kirk Cousins annual contract program.

Doesn't seem to have harmed the Jints at all. You can blow off half you hand with M80s or shoot yourself in the leg with your 9MM anywhere. 

23 minutes ago, Jets Voice of Reason said:

Macro vs micro completely. Basically, this is making the most out of a broken situation, which given Mac's poor track record is something to applaud. However, the series of bad decisions preceding this trade necessitated that we accumulate draft assets at the expense of a talented player entering his prime years. 

Kind of like a drunk guy driving his car into a telephone pole, but thank god he wore his seat belt because it could've been a lot worse. 

Right. If you ignore a decade's worth of sh*tty management (or if your sole grading criterion for every move is "lol the SOJFs were wrong"), the trade is fantastic. But trading a guy as talented as Richardson for this kind of return is a reflection of how fundamentally broken the team is. That's not all Maccagnan's fault, obviously, but the fact that we're doing it on the eve of his third season isn't exactly a ringing endorsement either.

Just now, joewilly12 said:

How would you feel if he goes to Seattle is put back into his natural position and turns into another JJ Watt. 

Fully expect he will have a good season in that defense. After that, good luck. Giving him a huge contract is like giving him a fast sports car,  a firearm and a pile of weed AGAIN, but I repeat myself. But as Sperm and others have noted, it was crazy beyond reason to have Williams, Richardson and Wilkerson in the DL unit and so little anyplace else. Except of course DBs. SAFETIES, MAN!

Nudokom Suh and Richie Ingcognito on their worst days are more squared away than Richardson. He is a talented dope. This will be a very good Seahawks defense in 2017. 

6 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Watching Mehta lose it on Twitter tonight is better than the 2nd we got:

Screenshot_20170901-234252.pngScreenshot_20170901-234327.pngScreenshot_20170901-234312.pngScreenshot_20170901-234306.pngScreenshot_20170901-234300.pngScreenshot_20170901-234252.png

He's been using the same " lolz randum Twitter follower, how will I survive" insult for months now.  You just know, deep down, he's thin skinned as all hell.  It's gold.  If anyone needed any insight into how bad this unprofessional little twat is at his job, this mini-meltdown is all you gotta look at.

Some sportswriters move on to bigger and better things. Some spend their days pointlessly arguing with people(imaginary friends?) on twitter.  

The ticked off people at 1 Jets Dr-are any the same people at 1 Jets Dr who answered the phone when Richardson stepped on his dick the  2 times we know about?

Doesn't seem to have harmed the Jints at all. You can blow off half you hand with M80s or shoot yourself in the leg with your 9MM anywhere. 
If you win no one cares much of the BS. The Giants have been given some slack when it comes to off the field issues...

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

13 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

What difference does it make?  He wasn't going to do that here because the Jets run a 3-4, and he wouldn't get the same reps, at the same position he will in Seattle.  On top of that Sheldon has made it clear that he is going to be very difficult to sign.  He is going to go to the highest bidder no matter who it is.  He's said that.  "no home town discount".  

If Mo plays poorly again this year and the Jets decide to move on, they would be in the same situation with Sheldon as they would be if they didn't trade him.  All they would have to do to get him back is pay him the ransom he will be demanding.  And yes, he would come back if the Jets were to offer him more money then anyone else.

It's not likely, but if the Jets REALLY wanted him back, he'll be back and they would still have Seattle's 2nd.  No lose except for one season that the Jets are going nowhere.  I just don't get why people are upset 

19 minutes ago, joewilly12 said:

5 hours ago, Mogglez said:

Watching Mehta lose it on Twitter tonight is better than the 2nd we got:

Screenshot_20170901-234252.pngScreenshot_20170901-234327.pngScreenshot_20170901-234312.pngScreenshot_20170901-234306.pngScreenshot_20170901-234300.pngScreenshot_20170901-234252.png

He's been using the same " lolz randum Twitter follower, how will I survive" insult for months now.  You just know, deep down, he's thin skinned as all hell.  It's gold.  If anyone needed any insight into how bad this unprofessional little twat is at his job, this mini-meltdown is all you gotta look at.

**** him. A year ago this fool was also harping just as hard on bringing back Fitzpatrick. Before that he was harping on how oh so awful it was that the Jets didn't "do the right thing" and extend Mo. 

Let this douche explain how a DL made up of 3 DTs and a NT is supposed to sack any moderately-mobile QB in the absence of blitzing or glue-like coverage in the secondary. You sign TWO of them. They're both playing end on a 3-man line so we can rush a ~250-lb OLB every down, or they're both playing inside so we can have a pair of quicker ends to rush the QB every down.

Sheldon absolutely was one of the 2-3 (and quite possibly the #1) most talented player on the team. But he's not so heads & shoulders above 2 other players the team already has who play the same position(s). If they hit on another position starter with the Seahawks' pick, or use it as ammo to trade up for a franchise QB, it's not even close how this was the right thing to do.

1. Immediately saves $6m net, assuming Kearney is kept. Actually it saves closer to $6.5m net since Kearse being here will bump the #51 cap player (making ~$500k) down to #52, thus removing him from the cap tally. Call it $2m/yr over the next 3 years. 
  2. Future saves the giant contract Sheldon would want (anyone's guess what that will be if he has a bounce back season plus another year of cap/FA inflation). Figure somewhere between $14-18m/yr over the next 3 years ($42-54m). Then enjoy the risk of Sheldon Richardson with 2 years guaranteed money. Prepare for zero production in 2018 for all that cash.
  3. Get a 2nd round pick -- if the player pans out as a starter, it'll save minimum $20m (possibly much more, depending upon the position) over the following 3 years, over filling the position with a veteran starter.

Basically over a 3 year span, not letting any of the Jets' current best players go - i.e. keeping all 3 of Leo and Mo and Sheldon - would cost some $75m more over a 3 yr span ($25m/yr) and quite possibly a lot more. Plus Kearse is a freebie acquisition on top of that, with $0 guaranteed, should we decide to keep or cut him.

So I'd say Mehta's math skills are no better than his personal or journalism skills.

11 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

**** him. A year ago this fool was also harping just as hard on bringing back Fitzpatrick. Before that he was harping on how oh so awful it was that the Jets didn't "do the right thing" and extend Mo. 

Let this douche explain how a DL made up of 3 DTs and a NT is supposed to sack any moderately-mobile QB in the absence of blitzing or glue-like coverage in the secondary. You sign TWO of them. They're both playing end on a 3-man line so we can rush a ~250-lb OLB every down, or they're both playing inside so we can have a pair of quicker ends to rush the QB every down.

Sheldon absolutely was one of the 2-3 (and quite possibly the #1) most talented player on the team. But he's not so heads & shoulders above 2 other players the team already has who play the same position(s). If they hit on another position starter with the Seahawks' pick, or use it as ammo to trade up for a franchise QB, it's not even close how this was the right thing to do.

1. Immediately saves $6m net, assuming Kearney is kept. Actually it saves closer to $6.5m net since Kearse being here will bump the #51 cap player (making ~$500k) down to #52, thus removing him from the cap tally. Call it $2m/yr over the next 3 years. 
  2. Future saves the giant contract Sheldon would want (anyone's guess what that will be if he has a bounce back season plus another year of cap/FA inflation). Figure somewhere between $14-18m/yr over the next 3 years ($42-54m). Then enjoy the risk of Sheldon Richardson with 2 years guaranteed money. Prepare for zero production in 2018 for all that cash.
  3. Get a 2nd round pick -- if the player pans out as a starter, it'll save minimum $20m (possibly much more, depending upon the position) over the following 3 years, over filling the position with a veteran starter.

Basically over a 3 year span, not letting any of the Jets' current best players go - i.e. keeping all 3 of Leo and Mo and Sheldon - would cost some $75m more over a 3 yr span ($25m/yr) and quite possibly a lot more. Plus Kearse is a freebie acquisition on top of that, with $0 guaranteed, should we decide to keep or cut him.

So I'd say Mehta's math skills are no better than his personal or journalism skills.

Mehta is a complete useless douche, BUT he isn't wrong this time about the Jets trading Sheldon, IMO it was stupid, all the rest of the stuff he is spewing about internal stuff I take as nonsense.

8 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Mehta is a complete useless douche, BUT he isn't wrong this time about the Jets trading Sheldon, IMO it was stupid, all the rest of the stuff he is spewing about internal stuff I take as nonsense.

I disagree, but whatever. I don't think he was half as valuable to the Jets as he will be to the Seahawks, and even they only ante'd this up in the 11th hour before the season began.

Few, if any, have a pair of DE-DTs like Mo and Leo, and not one such team offered up what the Seahawks did. Sheldon was redundant here, and they simply weren't extending him. 

Only way it could be seen otherwise, IMO, is if he could have gotten this same compensation or more for Mo, and that certainly wasn't happening with his current contract.

If anything it was 2 seasons overdue.

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

I disagree, but whatever. I don't think he was half as valuable to the Jets as he will be to the Seahawks, and even they only ante'd this up in the 11th hour before the season began.

Few, if any, have a pair of DE-DTs like Mo and Leo, and not one such team offered up what the Seahawks did. Sheldon was redundant here, and they simply weren't extending him. 

Only way it could be seen otherwise, IMO, is if he could have gotten this same compensation or more for Mo, and that certainly wasn't happening with his current contract.

If anything it was 2 seasons overdue.

See I cut Mo after the season sign Sheldon, the talent level between the 2 are not even close.

3 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

See I cut Mo after the season sign Sheldon, the talent level between the 2 are not even close.

They were never cutting Mo once he was extended. That was a fantasy of people who wanted to find the silver lining in Mo's extension.

Plus I don't think the talent level is so night & day, though I agree Sheldon is more talented. The problem is I would never trust Sheldon with multiple guaranteed seasons where he's no longer playing for a contract, particularly when he's 1 strike away from missing so much time.

But that's beside the point. Mehta isn't arguing cut Mo and extend Sheldon. He's whining about the Jets ever cutting loose of one of their only premiere players. This would infer he's in favor of keeping them both, no matter how much he no longer likes Mo personally.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. No he did not. He didn't write any of the contracts - nor should he have, since he had no experience doing so as a career scout - and paying Revis $6m of new money in year 3 is not an out clause.

2. Cap money wasted is cap money that is gone and cannot be used on others. It is never ok. Worst of all, these were players that were older so the hopes of the money paid to them being an investment was minimal. This was all "feel good" spending and there's almost nothing to show for it.

3. Spending this much money, and still losing an outstanding young player who never wanted to leave like Snacks, is the height of incompetence. I mean, it's almost impossible to be this bad.

It is never excusible to acquire this many failed, expensive new veterans in such a short timespan. Look at all the expensive FAs available over the past 3 offseasons and go virtual shopping, and then see how many fewer holes this team should have had by focusing more on younger veteran starters rather than ones exiting (if not outright past) their primes.

Ok - so because Revis had dead money, but Gilchrist, Decker, and Marshall all had little or no dead money means nothing, makes sense.

So Mac should have signed young, veteran starters from other teams to come here?  So Im guessing you would prefer our 2017 roster to have Mike Glennon, kept Decker, Mangold, and Gilchrist, maybe signed Eddie Lacy instead of going with McGuire.  How would that team have done?

Rebuilding sucks for a fan base, but the anti mac crew is beyond ridiculous at this point.  You know who was a real incompetent GM, Idzik.  Thats why this roster is bare, why we needed to plug the holes with veterans and why we are in a rebuild.  Losing a great NT, in a league that passes 2/3 of the time, doesn't make or break an organization.

7 hours ago, T0mShane said:

In fairness to Mehta, Jets fans are Twitter are some of the dumbest morher****ers alive.

I still see Jets fans on twitter who refer to Geno Smith as #7GOD...for real.  

6 minutes ago, Sperm Edwards said:

They were never cutting Mo once he was extended. That was a fantasy of people who wanted to find the silver lining in Mo's extension.

Plus I don't think the talent level is so night & day, though I agree Sheldon is more talented. The problem is I would never trust Sheldon with multiple guaranteed seasons where he's no longer playing for a contract, particularly when he's 1 strike away from missing so much time.

But that's beside the point. Mehta isn't arguing cut Mo and extend Sheldon. He's whining about the Jets ever cutting loose of one of their only premiere players. This would infer he's in favor of keeping them both, no matter how much he no longer likes Mo personally.

Keep both past this season should have never been an option, I just preferred Sheldon over Mo, again I said all the nonsense Mehta was spewing was garbage, I just agree with the Jets shouldn't have traded Sheldon, and he was right about his talent.

3 minutes ago, BCJet said:

Ok - so because Revis had dead money, but Gilchrist, Decker, and Marshall all had little or no dead money means nothing, makes sense.

So Mac should have signed young, veteran starters from other teams to come here?  So Im guessing you would prefer our 2017 roster to have Mike Glennon, kept Decker, Mangold, and Gilchrist, maybe signed Eddie Lacy instead of going with McGuire.  How would that team have done?

Rebuilding sucks for a fan base, but the anti mac crew is beyond ridiculous at this point.  You know who was a real incompetent GM, Idzik.  Thats why this roster is bare, why we needed to plug the holes with veterans and why we are in a rebuild.  Losing a great NT, in a league that passes 2/3 of the time, doesn't make or break an organization.

Not dead money like others who were merely cut on backloaded contracts. He has dead NEW money due to him after an evenly-weighted contract. He got $39m for 2 seasons. That's $19.5m/year for 1 pretty good season and 1 pretty bad season. There is no good spin on that.

Don't presume to know what I think, because you're not even in the ballpark. If all you're going to do is make up a bunch of things I certainly wouldn't have done, and pretend that's what I would have done so you can argue against it, you may as well just talk to yourself. An amateur argues like that.

The thing he should have done was sign young, veteran starters from the start. What made Carpenter such a good signing - one he dumb-lucked into as his 3rd choice, I might add - is he's entering the 3rd year of his contract and is still in his prime. He's still young enough that he may be worth extending beyond the current contract. He was an every-down starter when we traded for him, so we knew what we were getting at worst. In actuality, he's exceeded everyone's expectations by far, as he's a far superior player to the one he was in Seattle. There was no chance of this happening with players like Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Forte, etc.

You are really quick to give him an extended free pass on the 90% of draft+FA misses he's made since coming here.

17 hours ago, SAR I said:

Warfish has an excellent point. Any player with top NFL talent at his position on this roster should be handled properly, made to feel like he's a leader, and not made to feel like he's working for a low class organization with a head coach he doesn't believe in. 

Yes, we are in a spot now where losing him for a pick makes sense for our future. The fact that we got to this point is what no one seems to be discussing.  

SAR I

yep, it's a shame the jets go to this point but at the same time this is the result of nearly a decade of bad decisions capped off by the two seasons of idzik.  not saying that mac has done a stellar job but he should be judged on the last two, now three, seasons. this is clearly his team.  as for bowles and shelly, i agree the whole lb thing was pretty foolish but there again shelly didn't do himself many favors with his off season antics and then the feud he got into with marshall.

2 minutes ago, Bocajetfan said:

More about the pregame vidio that showed a continued lack of maturity and the risk of extending him.

Funny Antonio Brown had a similar situation in a post game playoff win celebration, and got the highest WR contract ever.  The sooner you guys realize these KIDS all act like this the easier it will be to accept it when some of it gets leaked.

3 hours ago, Sperm Edwards said:

1. No he did not. He didn't write any of the contracts - nor should he have, since he had no experience doing so as a career scout - and paying Revis $6m of new money in year 3 is not an out clause.

2. Cap money wasted is cap money that is gone and cannot be used on others. It is never ok. Worst of all, these were players that were older so the hopes of the money paid to them being an investment was minimal. This was all "feel good" spending and there's almost nothing to show for it.

3. Spending this much money, and still losing an outstanding young player who never wanted to leave like Snacks, is the height of incompetence. I mean, it's almost impossible to be this bad.

It is never excusible to acquire this many failed, expensive new veterans in such a short timespan. Look at all the expensive FAs available over the past 3 offseasons and go virtual shopping, and then see how many fewer holes this team should have had by focusing more on younger veteran starters rather than ones exiting (if not outright past) their primes.

1 - agree someone on the staff writes the contracts, but Mac is responsible for the high level terms, and we all know the revis deal was written for woody to finally have a reason to go to Canton (another fail). I am just not sure anyone thought revis would quit like that, he was always a student of the game, hard worker but clearly took too much advice from his uncle last year, that was sad to see and a reason he is on the couch

2 - agree the competitive rebuild failed, but the 10 win season did feel good and it will be a while before we see another 10 win season

3 - agree signing Mo was a mistake, same with Fitz, Mac knew it, hence the long delay, but he should be held accountable for caving before last season

After two years he may not be better than Idzik so do you think we should have kept Idzik? or just keep rotating regimes every two years and purging the roster?  I don't like what happened either but I do not want to see a new regime come in and cut Lee and trade Leo for a second rounder since they do not fit the new scheme...  at some point we have to get through a rebuild

Just now, Sperm Edwards said:

Not dead money like others who were merely cut on backloaded contracts. He has dead NEW money due to him after an evenly-weighted contract. He got $39m for 2 seasons. That's $19.5m/year for 1 pretty good season and 1 pretty bad season. There is no good spin on that.

Don't presume to know what I think, because you're not even in the ballpark. If all you're going to do is make up a bunch of things I certainly wouldn't have done, and pretend that's what I would have done so you can argue against it, you may as well just talk to yourself. An amateur argues like that.

The thing he should have done was sign young, veteran starters from the start. What made Carpenter such a good signing - one he dumb-lucked into as his 3rd choice, I might add - is he's entering the 3rd year of his contract and is still in his prime. He's still young enough that he may be worth extending beyond the current contract. He was an every-down starter when we traded for him, so we knew what we were getting at worst. In actuality, he's exceeded everyone's expectations by far, as he's a far superior player to the one he was in Seattle. There was no chance of this happening with players like Revis, Cromartie, Harris, Forte, etc.

You are really quick to give him an extended free pass on the 90% of draft+FA misses he's made since coming here.

Ok, so enlighten us, since Im an amateur.  Who are these young, up and coming players that we should have signed that would have all panned out?

Brandon Marshall wasn't a FA miss, he caught 100 balls for us in a 10 win season and while there is dead money, was there a single person on the board here, including yourself who foresaw revis mailing it in after a career of playing 100%, because I sure didnt see that coming.  Harris was a bag signing now too, because I'm pretty sure he had zero dead money this season.

9 minutes ago, Lupz27 said:

Keep both past this season should have never been an option, I just preferred Sheldon over Mo, again I said all the nonsense Mehta was spewing was garbage, I just agree with the Jets shouldn't have traded Sheldon, and he was right about his talent.

Again, I don't disagree completely on Mo vs Sheldon on the field, though I don't think it's quite as night & day as you're making them out. They don't have identical skill sets, and if we're going to use them as ends the truth is Mo does have a distinct size advantage. As an inside tackle I think the disparity is greater, but that's not how the team's using its DTs.

From anyone's standpoint, Sheldon is far riskier than Mo (to give multiple years of guaranteed money to), but really I wasn't happy we extended Mo when we did anyway.

If we're being honest, I have to say I wouldn't gamble my GM career by extending a loose cannon like Sheldon. Particularly when I don't actually need him as a player, given the other assets the team has today. So for these reasons, I'm not against this move. It's certainly not because I think Maccagnan is good at his job overall, lol.

3 hours ago, joewilly12 said:

a couple of seasons ago he and wilk were rated higher than jj watt.  no doubt shelly had/has the talent but he was not a good fit for this time at this point.  in hindsight, signing wilk at the expense of snacks and shelly was foolish.  if he stayed he would've wanted wilk money.

Archived