Jets | Team trying to trade Ramsey

Smizzy

Jets | Team trying to trade Ramsey

Tue, 27 Feb 2007 20:05:06 -0800

Rich Cimini, of the New York Daily News, reports the New York Jets are trying to trade QB Patrick Ramsey before his $1.4 million roster bonus is due Saturday, March 3. The team will release him if they are unable to trade him, clearing $2.1 million in cap space.

:box:

Thanks Smizzy. I hope they can get something for him. Might be hard because teams KNOW he'll be released if the Jets can't trade him.

I dont think they will release him if they cant trade him, they will most likely try to re-do his contract... if that doesnt work though, yes I guess he will be gone... I dont see the point though becuase we need a 3rd QB and he knows the system...

Doesn't SD have Volek & Whitehurst? They're not cutting Whitehurst after drafting him in the middle of the 3rd round in '06. Do they believe Ramsey is an upgrade over Volek?

If they want a 2nd for Turner (nevermind the posturing about wanting a first-rounder; he's not worth a first), taking our 3rd-rounder & Ramsey instead places a lot of value on Ramsey. We got him for a 6th when his reputation was better & value was higher. Only thing that dropped it that low was that everyone knew Washington was going to release him. We gave up a 6th to avoid a bidding-war for him. But now?

From our rd 2 pick #37 to our rd 3 pick #89 = 380 pts = value of pick #52 (#20 in round 2)

From our rd 2 pick #57 to our rd 3 pick #89 = 180 pts = value of pick #82 (#18 in round 3)

I seriously doubt Ramsey carries the weight of a first-day pick in the middle of rounds 2 or 3.

Look at it this way, Turner fans. If you were willing to part with at least our original 2nd-rounder (pick #57), who cares if we throw in Ramsey? If he's playing QB for us we've got bigger problems anyway. In other words, Ramsey should be a freebie throw-in since we don't need a #3 QB making like $1.5M and who's only under contract for the 2007 season anyway.

Turner for Ramsey + #57 (round 2, pick #25). I'm on board with this. Draft a 3rd-string QB in rounds 6 or 7 like teams do.

why would anyone trade for him if they know he is getting cut??

The Jets talked to the Skins about taking him back. The Jets said they want a 2nd rounder for him. Synder replied that he was fresh out of 2nd rounders. Then talks broke off.

why would anyone trade for him if they know he is getting cut??

Unlike Washington's situation last year, the Jets might actually keep Ramsey for another season. He knows the offense. He makes more than we'd like to pay for a #3 QB, but it's nothing like his situation with the Redskins while they were right up against the cap.

He doesn't have a great deal of trade value, but if someone covets him, we have more leverage than Washington did last year. Originally I think they wanted a 4th-rounder for him.

I would think the Jets would keep him around with Clemens behind Chad because if released they would have to bring in another veteran. At the same time I just cannot see a huge market for Ramsey and anything received about a 6th rounder would be a miracle

I think the CAP savings is what's driving this. Shame too as he was so supposed to be better than #10 according to our 1-800-qtrback guys. Oh well....next.

I'm sure it is GS - and it's now pretty clear that Ramsey wasn't picking up B. Shott's offense. But it doesn't make sense that they would late draft a QB for the # 3 slot who's never taken a NFL snap and knows nothing about our fairly complex offense. Penny's record setting 16 game 2006 without going down doesn't underscore the multiple operations and injury history. I think and hope somethings up here that isn't apparent on the surface.

Let's see, the Jets think so highly of Ramsey that they are looking to get rid of him and bring in a different veteran QB. Plus, guys like Jeff Garcia, Joey Harrington etc... have starting experience and are free agents. Hmmmm, I think trade prospects will be non-existent.

maybe they're showing ramsey that his only option is pay cut.

I'm sure it is GS - and it's now pretty clear that Ramsey wasn't picking up B. Shott's offense. But it doesn't make sense that they would late draft a QB for the # 3 slot who's never taken a NFL snap and knows nothing about our fairly complex offense. Penny's record setting 16 game 2006 without going down doesn't underscore the multiple operations and injury history. I think and hope somethings up here that isn't apparent on the surface.

NJ I think he has scored high marks on EM's classroom work, but just isnt able to execute it on the field.

That's because he's just not very good.

I'd like to see a different qb on the roster instead of ramsey.

edit

Shame too as he was so supposed to be better than #10 according to our 1-800-qtrback guys. Oh well....next.

LOL@GS

I'd like to see a different qb on the roster instead of ramsey.

It looks like we're going to if Cimini's inside track is right and it's likely cap related.

Here's what has me puzzled:

What's Tangini's plan for a # 3?

If it's any of these guys - they really want to have a 3 man shootout in camp.

Garcia

Schaub

Huard

Rattay

These guys are $$$ savers.

Rohan Davey

Shaun King

John Navarre

Tim Rattay

Anthony Wright

Where's Cliff Kingsbury?? lol

I hope they're looking at somebody that has a chance (albeit slim) of winning the job.

hey, lets not bring up garcia again. I wrote on another thread about wanting him and got roasted. I would love Garcia to come here. Yes, I know he wants to be the starter, but what qb comes to a team and doesn't want to be starter. I want a guy on my team that wants to be the starter and not settle for a back-up spot.

Archived