WR Miles Austin: MERGED

SoFlaJets

The Jets' search for a playmaking wide receiver has them taking a look at a homegrown talent.

Dallas Cowboys restricted free agent wide out Miles Austin, a New Jersey native and Monmouth University product, is scheduled to visit the Jets late this week, according to a report in the Dallas Morning News.

Austin, 6-foot-3, 216 pounds, caught 13 passes for 278 yards (21.4-yard average) and three touchdowns last season. A special teams standout, he averaged 21.5 yards on 29 kickoff returns. He missed four games with a knee injury.

Austin, 24, signed a one-year, $1.545 million tender offer with Dallas that would require a team to give up a second-round pick as compensation to the Cowboys if they didn't match an offer sheet. The restricted free agent period ends on April 17th. The Jets' second-round pick is the 52nd overall.

Austin, who attended Garfield High School, has the size, speed and big-play potential the Jets are looking for at wide receiver. Last season, he had two catches for 115 yards and a touchdown vs. the Packers. He signed with the Cowboys as a rookie free agent in 2006 after finishing his career at Monmouth as the school's all-time leader in touchdown receptions (33), receptions (150) and yards (2,867).

By bringing in Miles for a visit, the Jets must feel that he's better than any receiver they could draft in their first-round pick (17th overall).

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply
At least they're addressing the WR problem and keeping options open. I wasn't pleased that they showed NO interest in Holt.

There is a huge difference between Torry Holt and Miles Austin.

If the Jets give up the 52nd overall pick for this guy, this regime is just as dumb as the Edwards/Bradway one.

why does this one feel almost like Justin McCairens 2.0 to me? A SECOND ROUND PICK!!!???? NFW

You bring him in, and if you want hm, you work a deal with Dallas for a 3rd rounder or maybe a 4th rounder.

Only if you sign him right off the bat do you have to pay the 2nd.

You bring him in, and if you want hm, you work a deal with Dallas for a 3rd rounder or maybe a 4th rounder.

The problem is, Jerry Jones is supposedly VERY high on Austin and that is the reason they tended him with a 2nd round pick. I don't think he'd be willing to give up Austin for anything less.

AND its not even a given if we sign him to an offer sheet that Dallas doesn't match. We would have to overpay with the $ and a draft pick to bring him in here.

wow, im surprised by all the Mile Austin hate. He is the best WR in Dallas imo, and it would be a major upset if Jerry Jones didnt match any offer we came up with. Austin is not Mcariens. Austin is also better than any WR in the draft after Crabtree

Yup. They might just be doing due diligence. The guy will be a FA again next year. They did this with a few guys over the Tannenbaum era. I'm pretty sure they did this with Randall Gay Steinbach and Stacy Andrews.

The Jets' search for a playmaking wide receiver has them taking a look at a homegrown talent.

Dallas Cowboys restricted free agent wide out Miles Austin, a New Jersey native and Monmouth University product, is scheduled to visit the Jets late this week, according to a report in the Dallas Morning News.

Austin, 6-foot-3, 216 pounds, caught 13 passes for 278 yards (21.4-yard average) and three touchdowns last season. A special teams standout, he averaged 21.5 yards on 29 kickoff returns. He missed four games with a knee injury.

Austin, 24, signed a one-year, $1.545 million tender offer with Dallas that would require a team to give up a second-round pick as compensation to the Cowboys if they didn't match an offer sheet. The restricted free agent period ends on April 17th. The Jets' second-round pick is the 52nd overall.

Austin, who attended Garfield High School, has the size, speed and big-play potential the Jets are looking for at wide receiver. Last season, he had two catches for 115 yards and a touchdown vs. the Packers. He signed with the Cowboys as a rookie free agent in 2006 after finishing his career at Monmouth as the school's all-time leader in touchdown receptions (33), receptions (150) and yards (2,867).

By bringing in Miles for a visit, the Jets must feel that he's better than any receiver they could draft in their first-round pick (17th overall).

How does this author come to this conclusion?

Giving up a 2nd rd pick for this guy is damn near stupidity.

wow, im surprised by all the Mile Austin hate. He is the best WR in Dallas imo, and it would be a major upset if Jerry Jones didnt match any offer we came up with. Austin is not Mcariens. Austin is also better than any WR in the draft after Crabtree

Austin is the best WR in Dallas, yet he only caught 13 passes and was used primarly for ST? How on earth can you make that comment? You think he is better than Roy William and Patrick Crayton?

Worth brining in. Austin is pretty good and may better than any WR we could get in the 2nd. Isn't he only 24?

I like the potential he's shown in Dallas and like it or not he's proven more than any of the draft prospects. I'd at least consider this move.

...and what exactly is the difference between Miles Austin, Clowney and Stuckey? Don't mind us having him in for a look but if we give Dallas a second or a third round pick I'd consider it on par with the j-mac or jolley trades and we know how good those worked out...

The problem is, Jerry Jones is supposedly VERY high on Austin and that is the reason they tended him with a 2nd round pick. I don't think he'd be willing to give up Austin for anything less.

AND its not even a given if we sign him to an offer sheet that Dallas doesn't match. We would have to overpay with the $ and a draft pick to bring him in here.

If he tendered him low, since Miles was undrafted, he would get nothing in return. THATS WHY he tendered him with the 2nd round pick. fact checking never hurts. :)

We had a pretty fair receiver from Hofstra who worked out well for us. If the CS thinks he has the speed and hands we need and it costs us a 2nd so be it. More of a sure thing than anything we can draft-at least has a track record. Has any of the negative posters actually studied this guy?

Will somebody please explain to me how Miles Austin is better than anyone we can draft in the 2nd round? There are like 5 people claiming that in this thread.

What are you basing this off, his whopping 18 catches in 3 years in the league?

Someone inform me because I am at a loss on this one.

18 rec. 354 yds. 19.7 avg. 63 lg 3 TD's and this is for 2 years worth of work. Again, remember the Patriots traded a FOURTH ROUND DRAFT PICK to Oakland for RANDY MOSS

So in conclusion Austin has 17 more catches and less of an average per catch than.....David Clowney

Will somebody please explain to me how Miles Austin is better than anyone we can draft in the 2nd round? There are like 5 people claiming that in this thread.

and it's not just on this site JiF...JI and TGG has more than half of their posters saying the same ridiculous thing...I'm at a loss as to where they get this notion

and it's not just on this site JiF...JI and TGG has more than half of their posters saying the same ridiculous thing...I'm at a loss as to where they get this notion

Seriously, it un****ingbelievable.

I could get free a couple of times on a team where opposing defenses are having to contend with the likes of T.O., Roy Williams, Patrick Crayton, Jason Witten, Marion Barber, Felix Jones...lol...am I worth a 2nd round pick?

For ****sake, there is no way a guy with 18 catches in his career is worth a 2nd round pick. That is seriously idiotic (no offense to you bozo's saying different).

FYI, spell check's option for your name is Snowflakes.

I would not give up a 2nd rounder for him, but his 6'3" 215 lb size does intrigue me. He is a young player (WR's usually take 3 years to develop) and played behind established wideouts like TO, Roy Williams, and Patrick Crayton.

I have read that the Cowboys are very high on him. That may not mean anything, but you never know.

What WR with Austin's size is going to be available in the 2nd round?

And the GIants are rumored to be trading for Braylon Edwards..

Maybe the plan is to just punt on first down on offense this year????

Schotty has a proven track record of trying to keep the offense balanced, but given our personnel and Rex's apparent philosophy, I wouldn't be surprised to see a 70-30 run/pass ratio this season.

I would not give up a 2nd rounder for him, but his 6'3" 215 lb size does intrigue me. He is a young player (WR's usually take 3 years to develop) and played behind established wideouts like TO, Roy Williams, and Patrick Crayton.

I have read that the Cowboys are very high on him. That may not mean anything, but you never know.

What WR with Austin's size is going to be available in the 2nd round?

I dont understand the obsession with size and Jets fans, I mean I do and I dont. I understand we dont have a tall WR (maybe Henry) but Keller isnt exactly small. He is our big target.

There are a ton of receivers that I like later in the draft that have his size. Specifically Greg Carr 6'6 out of FSU, Patrick Turner 6'5 out of USC and Kevin Ogletree 6'2 out of UV.

In the 2nd there isnt a ton of size unless, Britt or Nicks drops. So, I cant tell you that you will find that size in the 2nd, but that still doesnt mean you should go and trade your 2nd round pick because he is tall.

I dont understand the obsession with size and Jets fans, I mean I do and I dont. I understand we dont have a tall WR (maybe Henry) but Keller isnt exactly small. He is our big target.

There are a ton of receivers that I like later in the draft that have his size. Specifically Greg Carr 6'6 out of FSU, Patrick Turner 6'5 out of USC and Kevin Ogletree 6'2 out of UV.

In the 2nd there isnt a ton of size unless, Britt or Nicks drops. So, I cant tell you that you will find that size in the 2nd, but that still doesnt mean you should go and trade your 2nd round pick because he is tall.

I agree...I would not trade a 2nd rounder for him.

Henry is a complete wild card this year, he may not even make the roster. Keller is a TE, not a WR.

I agree that size is too much of an obsession, but that is the trend in today's NFL. Given our current make up in the WR department, a big target on the outside would round out the unit well.

Do you get dressed up like Mel Kiper Jr. on draft day? Just curious.

Archived