Former Jets DE Gholston says he got a raw deal from Ryan

F.Chowds

Vernon Gholston, the former first-round pick whose New York Jets career was a bust before the team released him during the offseason, slammed Jets coach Rex Ryan on Monday, saying the coach and the Jets organization didn't give him a fair chance.

The New York Post reported that the former Ohio State Buckeye -- who had zero sacks in 42 games in his Jets career -- made the comments after his new team, the Chicago Bears, lost a preseason game to the Giants, 41-13, in New Meadowlands Stadium.

"I heard how he was perceiving me before the [2008] draft, before he knew me, and I was the same way -- I wasn't hoping for him to be [my] first coach of the Jets when I was there, either," said Gholston, who was picked sixth overall in the 2008 NFL Draft when Eric Mangini was still coaching the Jets.

Ryan took a few shots at Gholston in his book, "Play Like You Mean It," according to ESPN. "He’s a good athlete and a smart guy," Ryan wrote, "but I thought he was a phony."

"Being a first-round pick, you would have hoped for more [of a chance]," said Gholston.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d821a9d74/article/former-jets-de-gholston-says-he-got-a-raw-deal-from-ryan

"Rex made a comment to me when he first came in that he thought I wasn't liked by the guys on the team, then once he got there he saw that wasn't the case," Gholston said. "Those perceptions kind of determine the outcome, and it's sad to say."

Gholston, a backup defensive end for the Bears, also accused Ryan, who was the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator before the Jets hired him prior to the 2009 season, of playing favorites with players such as Bart Scott, who also came over from Baltimore.

"Whenever you have a new coach, you hope everything's fair," Gholston said. "But obviously, he was in Baltimore for a number of years and has a passion for those guys."

Despite his lack of production, Gholston expressed optimism about his NFL career.

"Teams are always looking for talent, and to say I don't have talent is a far stretch," Gholston said. "It's all about getting a fair shot and time in the system. With the Jets, it was constant position change and coaching change. There was no stability. I never really had that with the Jets."

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Teams are always looking for talent, and to say I don't have talent is a far stretch," Gholston said. "It's all about getting a fair shot and time in the system. With the Jets, it was constant position change and coaching change. There was no stability. I never really had that with the Jets."

I think he makes some good points about Ryan. Not entirely true but Ryan didn't need to write this damn book and comment on guys like Gholston. That said Vernon lost all credibility with that final statement.

I remember watching him a few years ago when they played him the entire game, against the Eagles in the preseason. The Eagles don't play their starters in the last week of the preseason. Vernon did nothing that entire game. Guys that got cut from the Eagles had no problem blocking him.

So to say he never received a fair shot and time is just crazy. The Jets did change coaches in his time but it was early one, and he had plenty of time to learn Rex's system. Better yet, just show that you can sack the QB and they will keep your role really simple.

No stability? You had the same head coach and defensive couch for a few years.

Hey Gholston, many players who come into the NFL are great athletes and only some of them are good players. Guess which one you are?

Gholston looked stiff and terrible no matter where they put him. And I'm pretty sure Rex and Tanny reworked his contract so if he got even one sack he would have gotten a huge bonus. Gholston is such a sack of $hit.

Unreal, do us all a favor Vern and STFU.

This reeks of what Kerry Rhodes was saying when he was sent away. "Rex liked the other guys better than meeeeeee! " How bout playing and making an impact so he wants you around. Did you ever think he brought those guys with him because they play hard and are smart football players? Seems that Revis, Harris, Eric Smith, Pace, B Thomas, Devito, and pouha are all still here. This is retarded and I'm glad he's gone.

This reeks of what Kerry Rhodes was saying when he was sent away. "Rex liked the other guys better than meeeeeee! " How bout playing and making an impact so he wants you around. Did you ever think he brought those guys with him because they play hard and are smart football players? Seems that Revis, Harris, Eric Smith, Pace, B Thomas, Devito, and pouha are all still here. This is retarded and I'm glad he's gone.

In fairness Rex does have a long track record of not playing players that suck. So Rhodes and Gholston might be on to something...

Anyone watch the game last night? Anyone see the "Ghost" in action? What number did he wear?

FTR...Vern had his typical game last night...played the garbage minutes against the past and future truck drivers of the world...was totally invisible...took me forever to determine he wears number 94.

This must be Rex's fault? :blink:

Sour grapes. I guess if Rex called me a phony in his book, I'd wait until after I was cut, then grabbed off waivers by a desperate defense, before I offered a witty retort such as this...

Maybe Gholston should try producing before he talks smack to a coach who has a lot more credibility then he does.

I'll LOL if the bears cut him before the season even starts.

Didn't get a fair chance? This muscle bound sissy made millions of dollars and had four years to show something. Anything. He is one of the greatest busts in NFL history and has probably made more money from football then 90% of the people in the HOF. He is financially secure for the rest of his life and is getting yet another shot to prove how worthless his azz is. He should STFU.

This is just ridiculous:

Gholston, a backup defensive end for the Bears, also accused Ryan, who was the Baltimore Ravens defensive coordinator before the Jets hired him prior to the 2009 season, of playing favorites with players such as Bart Scott, who also came over from Baltimore.

"Whenever you have a new coach, you hope everything's fair," Gholston said. "But obviously, he was in Baltimore for a number of years and has a passion for those guys."

I can't believe Rex has a passion for guys who've won him ballgames. :rolleyes:

Rex plays favorites with players who can, you know, play football without sucking.

Gholston actually believes he's better than Bart Scott? :rl:

If Vernon had gotten a sack, or for that matter gotten close to the QB during the game then maybe he might have an arguement but if you watched Hard Knocks Ryan tried everything he could to get the kid to play.

He flat out Ron Farout sucked here and he will continue to suck wherever he goes.

First-round bust Gholston opts to play blame Gang

Jets Blog

By BART HUBBUCH

Last Updated: 5:02 AM, August 23, 2011

Posted: 2:57 AM, August 23, 2011

More Print

Vernon Gholston might have been an epic bust for the Jets, but he refuses to take all the blame.

A seriously delusional Gholston doled out some of the fault to coach Rex Ryan and the Jets, too, saying last night he didn't get a fair shot in three wholly unproductive seasons with Gang Green.

Now a backup defensive end trying to hang on with the Bears, Gholston -- he of zero sacks in 48 games as a Jet -- said after a 41-13 preseason loss to the Giants the deck was stacked against him when Ryan took over in 2009.

"I heard how he was perceiving me before the [2008] draft, before he knew me, and I was the same way -- I wasn't hoping for him to be [my] first coach of the Jets when I was there, either," said Gholston, a holdover from the Eric Mangini regime.

UPDATES FROM OUR JETS BLOG

Gholston, the sixth overall pick out of Ohio State, still feels he didn't get a fair shot with Ryan or his staff despite their sometimes-desperate efforts -- both position switches and psychological ploys -- to get him to produce.

"Being a first-round pick, you would have hoped for more [of a chance]," said Gholston, who added his release by the Jets last winter was "a needed move."

Gholston indicated his displeasure with Ryan wasn't limited just to a lack of snaps.

A comment the coach made soon after taking over still seems to sting Gholston, whose quiet, sensitive demeanor and lack of intensity have been among the biggest knocks on him as a pro.

"Rex made a comment to me when he first came in that he thought I wasn't liked by the guys on the team, then once he got there he saw that wasn't the case," Gholston said. "Those perceptions kind of determine the outcome, and it's sad to say."

Gholston also accused Ryan of playing favorites with former Ravens such as Bart Scott that the coach brought with him from Baltimore.

Though Gholston is struggling just as mightily with the Bears as he did as a Jet, he isn't worried he is running out of chances in the NFL.

bhubbuch@nypost.com

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/jets/first_round_bust_gholston_opts_to_7ozJ8NvFTe0vbcC1DVCS2H#ixzz1Vr57QdfS

"I heard how he was perceiving me before the [2008] draft, before he knew me, and I was the same way -- I wasn't hoping for him to be [my] first coach of the Jets when I was there, either," said Gholston, who was picked sixth overall in the 2008 NFL Draft when Eric Mangini was still coaching the Jets.

Ha! This one made me laugh. Ryan wasnt the only one who thought you'd suck VG. A ton of people did...hell, half the bozo's on the message boards who follow the draft KNEW you werent a Football player. Get real. Bro. You were the last player I wanted to draft and was praying the night before the draft someone would make the mistake of taking you before our pick.

He didnt get the chance? Dude got the chance when Pace was out of 4 games, he had 1 tackle...

VG - you suck. Go open up an all gay gym.

I'm sure Rex plays favorites. Most coaches do. Rex brought Scott and Leonhard here not only because they're good players, but to help install his defense. They would obviously be his favorites. They were extensions of the coaching staff that first year.

I doubt that Vernon Gholston would be the favorite of many NFL coaches.

Poor Gholston. Wah wah wah:

Rotoworld:

Bears DE Vernon Gholston entered Monday's preseason game after Nick Reed and Mario Addison.

Reed is a 2009 seventh-round pick of the Seahawks that the Bears picked up while Addison is an undrafted free agent. In other words, Gholston hasn't come close to cracking the defensive line rotation. The former No. 6 overall pick is a long shot to make the final 53.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4671412/page/rapidreaction/rapid-reaction-giants-41-bears-13

Poor Gholston. Wah wah wah:

Rotoworld:

Bears DE Vernon Gholston entered Monday's preseason game after Nick Reed and Mario Addison.

Reed is a 2009 seventh-round pick of the Seahawks that the Bears picked up while Addison is an undrafted free agent. In other words, Gholston hasn't come close to cracking the defensive line rotation. The former No. 6 overall pick is a long shot to make the final 53.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4671412/page/rapidreaction/rapid-reaction-giants-41-bears-13

That doesnt sound fair.

I'm sure Rex plays favorites. Most coaches do. Rex brought Scott and Leonhard here not only because they're good players, but to help install his defense. They would obviously be his favorites. They were extensions of the coaching staff that first year.

I doubt that Vernon Gholston would be the favorite of many NFL coaches.

All coaches have favorites.They are always the players that produce on gameday and help give the coach some job security.

This clown got the equivilent of a winning lottery ticket from the NYJ yet he badmouths them? Rex will have the last laugh when the Bears cut him and end his fake football career.

I think he makes some good points about Ryan. Not entirely true but Ryan didn't need to write this damn book and comment on guys like Gholston. That said Vernon lost all credibility with that final statement.

I remember watching him a few years ago when they played him the entire game, against the Eagles in the preseason. The Eagles don't play their starters in the last week of the preseason. Vernon did nothing that entire game. Guys that got cut from the Eagles had no problem blocking him.

So to say he never received a fair shot and time is just crazy. The Jets did change coaches in his time but it was early one, and he had plenty of time to learn Rex's system. Better yet, just show that you can sack the QB and they will keep your role really simple.

Agree with this. Neither the Jets or Rex are responsible for the fact that Gholston completely blows as a player, which he does. However, it really is tough to argue that Ryan was never a fan of the guys, and wasn't shy about making that known. Of course, the fact that he sucked and Ryan knew it probably had something to do with that.

Archived