Panther Owner Richardson = Fascist Martinet

kelticwizard

Jerry Richardson to Cam Newton: No tattoos, no piercings

Posted by Mike Florio on August 24, 2011, 4:54 AM EDT

Appearing as guests on PBS’s Charlie Rose (thanks for the head’s up, SportsBusiness Daily), Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Panthers owner Jerry Richardson talked about a variety of issues. I’ll be posting some of the most interesting aspects of their discussion right here.

The first one relates to the pre-draft meeting between Richardson and quarterback Cam Newton. Though the topic was addressed by Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer in April, it’s worth repeating.

Richardson, who said that Newton “was dressed perfectly” for their meeting, was blunt. “I said, ‘Do you have any tattoos?’” Richardson told Rose. “He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘Do you have any piercings?’ He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘We want to keep it that way.’ . . . .

“We want to keep no tattoos, no piercings, and I think you’ve got a very nice haircut.”

Interjected the host: “You sound like a Lombardi.”

Said Richardson, “No, I just sound reasonable to me.”

The fact is that, over the years, Richardson has drafted and signed plenty of players who have tattoos and piercings, including tight end Jeremy Shockey. Apparently, Richardson is willing to tolerate those things when it comes to men who won’t become the face of the franchise. For someone like Newton, whom Richardson said has “athletic ability unlike anything that I have seen in quite a few years,” Richardson presumably wants him to do nothing that would potentially alienate the mainstream paying customers.

Regardless of the motivation, there’s something troubling about Richardson’s position. Though Newton can’t be disciplined for getting a tattoo or a piercing or multiple of either, Richardson has made his wishes clear — and he’d likely be unhappy if Newton defies them.

But Richardson isn’t Newton’s father. Newton is a grown man, and he can do whatever he wants by way of decorating his body with ink or ice, or by growing his hair as long as he pleases. The notion that teams would try to make players into non-threatening billboards seems more than a little heavy-handed, even if it’s done in the name of “growing the pie” to the benefit of teams and players alike.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/08/24/jerry-richardson-to-cam-newton-no-tattoos-no-piercings/related/

Can't say I'm a big fan of either piercings or tatoos. I'm even less of a fan of people who tell people how they are allowed to look.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with his approach. How is it different than a team saying they don't want to hire Vick because of negative press risks?

This is true. There's virtually no difference between electricuting dogs and having a tattoo.

I see both sides : I'd love to wear shorts at work in the summer but I can't. It's against company policy so as long as they're paying me I fall in line. BTW I get paid a lot less than Newton. On the other side : Most criminals have tats so why not Newton ? ;)

Jerry Richardson is an easy target and it would be easy to pile on!

But I have no problem with that approach. For years Streinbrenner had a rule regarding no long hair, no beards and so on.

And owners have every right to do so if they so desire!

Billy Martin once said while managing the Yankees he would have an outfield of Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin if it helped them win. Further, the Yankees employed a genuinely bad guy named Mell Hall for some time. Also, they had Steve Howe, Doc Gooden and Darryl Strawberry on their payroll. Hall is in jail for rape; Howe is dead from drugs; and at least Strawberry and Gooden seem to have control of their lives now.

Haircuts and tattoos don't really matter. Same thing with sports teams demanding their players wear jackets while traveling; it doesn't matter.It's marketing, and recall during the lockout Richardson's big marketing idea was to denigrate the NFL's 2 biggest marketing icons, Manning and Brady.

In short, Jerry Richardson, despite playing 2 seasons for the Baltimore Colts, is a dick.

This is true. There's virtually no difference between electricuting dogs and having a tattoo.

I want to give you credit for this one I really do.

But it was on the tee. You were there at the right time. It was lined up...

:D

At the same rate no one should force him to draft a guy with tats,

Well maybe not force but the fan-base would have every right to put a lot of pressure on him.

Imagine what the reaction around here would be if we found out that we drafted Kyle Brady over Warren Sapp because Sapp had a tat and Kyle had a really respectable looking haircut.

I don't see anything particularly wrong with his approach. How is it different than a team saying they don't want to hire Vick because of negative press risks?

I dont see anything wrong with it either. If thats the way he wants to run his team then he has that right. I can see not liking his rules, but you dont have to play for him either.

Billy Martin once said while managing the Yankees he would have an outfield of Hitler, Mussolini and Stalin if it helped them win. Further, the Yankees employed a genuinely bad guy named Mell Hall for some time. Also, they had Steve Howe, Doc Gooden and Darryl Strawberry on their payroll. Hall is in jail for rape; Howe is dead from drugs; and at least Strawberry and Gooden seem to have control of their lives now.

Haircuts and tattoos don't really matter. Same thing with sports teams demanding their players wear jackets while traveling; it doesn't matter.It's marketing, and recall during the lockout Richardson's big marketing idea was to denigrate the NFL's 2 biggest marketing icons, Manning and Brady.

In short, Jerry Richardson, despite playing 2 seasons for the Baltimore Colts, is a dick.

He sure is. No doubt about it.

My point being i have seen other owners (including a team i support) have such rules in the past for their players.

I dont see anything wrong with it either. If thats the way he wants to run his team then he has that right. I can see not liking his rules, but you dont have to play for him either.

Well, yes and no. He was drafted by Carolina; he didn't sign with them as an unrestricted free agent.

His choice was to play for Carolina for tens of millions of guaranteed dollars or flip burgers for minimum wage plus autograph money.

Well, yes and no. He was drafted by Carolina; he didn't sign with them as an unrestricted free agent.

His choice was to play for Carolina for tens of millions of guaranteed dollars or flip burgers for minimum wage plus autograph money.

This conversation was pre-draft. So if Cam Newton chose not to play for Jerry Richardson he could just have. A middle finger to Jerry would have been appropriate answer and surely got Cam from not having to play for Jerry.

The small side effect being he would have lost on the #1 pick money!

Appearing as guests on PBS’s Charlie Rose (thanks for the head’s up, SportsBusiness Daily), Cowboys owner Jerry Jones and Panthers owner Jerry Richardson talked about a variety of issues. I’ll be posting some of the most interesting aspects of their discussion right here.

The first one relates to the pre-draft meeting between Richardson and quarterback Cam Newton. Though the topic was addressed by Tom Sorensen of the Charlotte Observer in April, it’s worth repeating.

Richardson, who said that Newton “was dressed perfectly” for their meeting, was blunt. “I said, ‘Do you have any tattoos?’” Richardson told Rose. “He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘Do you have any piercings?’ He said, ‘No, sir. I don’t have any.’ I said, ‘We want to keep it that way.’ . . . .

“We want to keep no tattoos, no piercings, and I think you’ve got a very nice haircut.”

The fact is that, over the years, Richardson has drafted and signed plenty of players who have tattoos and piercings, including tight end Jeremy Shockey. Apparently, Richardson is willing to tolerate those things when it comes to men who won’t become the face of the franchise. For someone like Newton, whom Richardson said has “athletic ability unlike anything that I have seen in quite a few years,” Richardson presumably wants him to do nothing that would potentially alienate the mainstream paying customers.

Regardless of the motivation, there’s something troubling about Richardson’s position. Though Newton can’t be disciplined for getting a tattoo or a piercing or multiple of either, Richardson has made his wishes clear — and he’d likely be unhappy if Newton defies them.

But Richardson isn’t Newton’s father. Newton is a grown man, and he can do whatever he wants by way of decorating his body with ink or ice, or by growing his hair as long as he pleases. The notion that teams would try to make players into non-threatening billboards seems more than a little heavy-handed, even if it’s done in the name of “growing the pie” to the benefit of teams and players alike.

http://profootballta...rcings/related/

Can't say I'm a big fan of either piercings or tatoos. I'm even less of a fan of people who tell people how they are allowed to look.

Still like him better than Steinbrenner.

OK....so no one here works in an industry in which you're required to abide by an appearance standard? I'd bet almost every professional here, regardless of industry, has to abide by some degree of standard. My line of work, we're not allowed to wear any obvious jewelry on duty or have tattoos which would be exposed while in uniform, especially short-sleeve shirts. It's a reasonable request that when people call the police, they do not want an officer to show up with a giant effing earring, tatts up and down the neck and arms, or some ridiculous beard/goatee.

How this is "Facism" is beyond me? As long as the same standard is present for all individuals.

It's a reasonable request that when people call the police, they do not want an officer to show up with a giant effing earring, tatts up and down the neck and arms, or some ridiculous beard/goatee.

Just one of the many ways in which playing quarterback in the NFL is exactly like serving as a police officer.

http://profootballta...rcings/related/

OK....so no one here works in an industry in which you're required to abide by an appearance standard? I'd bet almost every professional here, regardless of industry, has to abide by some degree of standard. My line of work, we're not allowed to wear any obvious jewelry on duty or have tattoos which would be exposed while in uniform, especially short-sleeve shirts. It's a reasonable request that when people call the police, they do not want an officer to show up with a giant effing earring, tatts up and down the neck and arms, or some ridiculous beard/goatee.

How this is "Facism" is beyond me? As long as the same standard is present for all individuals.

I'm not calling it fascism, but clearly it doesn't pass your smell test.

Archived