Mangold has "high ankle sprain"

JetsFan220

Ngata, Wilkfork and Seymour.

We HAVE TO beat Oakland they are the worst of the 3

The Buffalo Bills O-line is a bunch of riff raff you've never heard of.. Meanwhile they gave enough time yesterday to allow the Amish Gunner aka Ryan Fitzpuketrick to put up 38 points.

We should win next week in a laugher.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, seymor Ngata kelly wilfork haynesworth are all ieasy match ups for a rookie udfa signed a week ago. December doesn't matter if u don't have record buddy.

Well they could throw Vlad in there and move Slauson to C... that sound better?

Well they could throw Vlad in there and move Slauson to C... that sound better?

I don't know what's better. It's an enjury to our 2nd best player. U acting like it's no big deal is ridiculous. Hopefully some steps up and plays well. I'm not confident the way we've playing.

I don't know what's better. It's an enjury to our 2nd best player. U acting like it's no big deal is ridiculous. Hopefully some steps up and plays well. I'm not confident the way we've playing.

His leg didn't go Willis Mcgahee.. it's a sprain.. it's serious but Mangold is Hillbilly tough.. he should be out there for NE in a couple weeks.

In the meantime next week I'll watch our guys enjoying Oscar Mayers on the sidelines in the middle of the 3rd 1/4 during another 28 point drubbing.

Tough loss, but I don't think Mangold will be out for long. He's a C, not a LB or DB who has to run around alot.

It's all about further injury and pain threshhold as to when he comes back.

At least Baxter gets more practice reps.

and I was kidding about throwing Vlad out there against the Ravens.. Vlad would get Sanchez, Brunell, and O'connell all killed... dead.

Tough loss, but I don't think Mangold will be out for long. He's a C, not a LB or DB who has to run around alot.

It's all about further injury and pain threshhold as to when he comes back.

At least Baxter gets more practice reps.

You forgot to mention Mangold is Hillbilly tough...

You forgot to mention Mangold is Hillbilly tough...

He is. That's why I referred to pain threshhold, which Mangold reportedly has a high one. It's about making it worse. Can he go out there, perform, and not make it worse. If that's the case then he'll be back in 2 weeks the latest.

With this injury, it's not about pain threshold, it's about the ligament being strong enough to support the weight, and the fact is that this is an injury that CAN get worse if not healed properly.

I'll be mildly surprised if he's back before the San Diego game in Week 7 and shocked if he's back before Miami in week 6.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

With this injury, it's not about pain threshold, it's about the ligament being strong enough to support the weight, and the fact is that this is an injury that CAN get worse if not healed properly.

I'll be mildly surprised if he's back before the San Diego game in Week 7 and shocked if he's back before Miami in week 6.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

If playing can make it worse, then of course he'll sit out longer. We'll just have to see.

Hope I'm wrong, though.

but didn't the mri say no ligament damage?

I think Baxter will perform just fine...hey, in 2009 he had "outstanding performance in the classroom"

Colin Baxter, C

40 Time: 5.42 sec. | Bench Reps: N/A | Vertical Jump: N/A in.

Latest News

03/15/2011 - Arizona Pro day: In total, 22 prospects were in attendance and performed outdoors, on FieldTurf. OL Colin Baxter (6-foot-2 5/8, 311 pounds) had 40-yard dash times of 5.47 and 5.42 seconds, 8.01 in the three-cone drill and didn't run the short shuttle. He also posted a 28-inch vertical and 8-4 broad jump to go with 22 reps on the bench. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

2009 Season

The anchor of UA's offense up front as 37-game starter … Team co-captain as junior and voted team Offensive MVP … Second-team All-Pacific-10 Conference honors in 2009 and first-team citation from Phil Steele's publication … Rimington Trophy candidate … 12-game starter and focal point of offensive line that rated 10th nationally in pass protection and second in the Pac-10 with only 11 allowed … Spearheads dirty work for balanced offensive unit that averages more than 400 yards per game … Clearly will be a contender for top national honors as a senior in 2010 … 37 consecutive starts, 11 of those at left guard in 2007 and early 2008 … Outstanding performance in the classroom.

2008 Season

Honorable mention All-Pac-10 in 2008 … Took over for injured Blake Kerley in the UCLA game at center (where he had been considered a strong 1-A to begin with), moving from his left guard spot … Started first four at guard, last nine at center.

2007 Season

In 2007 he played in opener as backup and won a bigger role, starting final 11 games at left guard … Earned honorable mention Freshman All-America from The Sporting News and third-team honors from CFN.com … Pac-10 All-Freshman by TSN … Honorable mention Pac-10 All-Academic in 2007 with a 3.13 GPA … Also was listed as the backup center.

2006 Season

Worked with the varsity team and was a travel roster member during his redshirt freshman season in 2006.

High School

Palos Verdes Peninsula High School, Rolling Hills, Calif., 2006 … SuperPrep All-Farwest for coach Tony Uruburu … Arizona's first commitment in Class of '06, pledging in June '05 … First-team CIF Southern Section/AAF defensive unit and first-team CIF Division III, league defensive Player of the Year … Rivals.com three-star rating, No. 25 offensive guard prospect … Scout.com three-star rating … Cal-Hi Sports third-team All-State honors … Team played in California Division III semifinals … Named first-team all-area and second-team all-South Bay … Wrestling letterman as heavyweight for Panthers, who won the 2005 CIF Central Division title … As a junior, on defense, he had 40 tackles, four quarterback hurries, one forced fumble, and one fumble recovery on defense … Participated in Nike combine spring-summer '05 … Finished 10th in the shot put, 12th discus in Bay League 2005 championships … Also plays basketball for Peninsula.

Personal

Academic major to be determined … Date of birth: July 31, 1987.

but didn't the mri say no ligament damage?

If it's a sprain, there's ligament damage by definition. That's what a sprain is. The fact that there is no structural damage means the ligament is not "torn" and the bone structure of the ankle is OK. If the ligament was torn, he would probably require surgery and probably about 6 months on the shelf, so that's the good news.

A high ankle sprain is caused by a twisting injury to the ankle, usually while it is flexed with the foot turned out excessively. The ligaments injured in a high ankle sprain are more subject to higher forces than those ligmants injured in a common ankle sprain and the amount of rest required for healing tends to be much longer than a "common" ankle sprain.

Wrap that baby up tight, shoot him full of cortisone and send Mangold back out there on Sunday.

yeah, I mean what's all the panic about?

a few years ago during a pick up b-ball game I landed awkwardly and twisted my ankle high, low, and in between. wanna know how many days I was out of the office? Zero... nada.

I bravely limped to my cubicle and did everything that was asked of me.. and that was without a team of trainers and 16 hour a day treatment.

my expectation is 4-5 weeks, maybe longer.

another player might take 6-8 weeks for a high ankle sprain but Mangold will be going nuts in rehab and him at 85% is better than most guys 100% and he will probably get back a little early. probably not early enough for Pats or Ravens

the high ankle sprain is a tricky injury. It's usually not something that shortens your career in the long term but it can be if you rush back to soon. Mangold is on a long term deal the Jets doctors won't be butchers in this case.

This is most definitely concerning, but as of right now, I'm just thankful that it's not a serious knee injury, ala, being out for the season.

As a fan base, we have to take it one game at a time. The Raiders are up next, and we have to beat these guys in Oakland without Mangold; it's as simple as that.

Mangold has been, and is still one of the most important players on our offense, I rank him right up there with D'Brickashaw Ferguson and Mark Sanchez in regards to overall importance, but not every team has been blessed with an all-world/all-pro type of center such as the Jets have been, but that doesn't change the fact that these teams still have to compete and win on Sundays without great centers.

No excuses. The Patriots lost Dan Koppen, they still went out there and beat SD yesterday. Now it's the Jets turn to play without a great center, but you know what? Mangold doesn't make this team. We have to move on without him for the time being. Hopefully he's back for the Patriots game, but if not... The Jets will move on. Thank god for our defense.

my expectation is 4-5 weeks, maybe longer.

another player might take 6-8 weeks for a high ankle sprain but Mangold will be going nuts in rehab and him at 85% is better than most guys 100% and he will probably get back a little early. probably not early enough for Pats or Ravens

the high ankle sprain is a tricky injury. It's usually not something that shortens your career in the long term but it can be if you rush back to soon. Mangold is on a long term deal the Jets doctors won't be butchers in this case.

I think it's simply wrong to suggest that an Olineman would miss upwards of 6 games to a high ankle sprain. Olineman play with broken hands, knee sprains, and various other ailments. I've really never heard of an OLineman missing over a 1/3 of a season from a high ankle sprain.

Heck, Curtis Martin played a whole season with a high ankle sprain.

I think this is a 2 week injury tops. Olineman are different. They don't sit up a bunch of games for these types of injuries.

I think it's simply wrong to suggest that an Olineman would miss upwards of 6 games to a high ankle sprain. Olineman play with broken hands, knee sprains, and various other ailments. I've really never heard of an OLineman missing over a 1/3 of a season from a high ankle sprain.

Heck, Curtis Martin played a whole season with a high ankle sprain.

I think this is a 2 week injury tops. Olineman are different. They don't sit up a bunch of games for these types of injuries.

There is no way they will keep him out 6 weeks. They're having a hard enough time getting him to sit out this week.

Archived