Jets to induct four new players to stadium's 'Ring of Honor'

Jetfan13

To honor their past while opening their new stadium last year, the Jets created a "Ring of Honor."

The inaugural class, honoring the team's all-time greatest players, had six members. Four more will be added during the Oct. 17 Monday night game against the Dolphins, according to a person with knowledge of the selections: Larry Grantham, Freeman McNeil, Gerry Philbin and Al Toon.

That person requested anonymity because the team has not yet announced the new inductees. An official announcement is expected next week.

Grantham, a linebacker, and Philbin, a defensive lineman, helped anchor the Jets defense on the Super Bowl III championship team.

McNeil was drafted No. 3 overall by the Jets in 1981 and played 12 seasons for the team. He is the franchise's second all-time leading rusher, behind Curtis Martin.

Toon, the Jets' first-round pick in 1985, played his entire 8-year pro career for the team. He is the franchise's third all-time leading receiver.

Martin, Weeb Ewbank, Winston Hill, Joe Klecko, Don Maynard and Joe Namath were the inaugural Ring of Honor class. They were inducted last summer in the first preseason game played at the Jets' and Giants' shared new home. Honorees are enshrined inside the newly named MetLife stadium in both end zones.

Philbin and Grantam were before my time -- Freeman is a desrving choice

But Al Toon -- Wesley Walker would be more deserving.

Wesley Walker MADE Al Toon. Not that I do not appreciate Toon, but he would have been nothing without Walker. Truth. Philbin was a beast -- so quick with great moves. What bookends, Philbin and Biggs! Larry Grantham was solid and very deserving.

To honor their past while opening their new stadium last year, the Jets created a "Ring of Honor."

The inaugural class, honoring the team's all-time greatest players, had six members. Four more will be added during the Oct. 17 Monday night game against the Dolphins, according to a person with knowledge of the selections: Larry Grantham, Freeman McNeil, Gerry Philbin and Al Toon.

That person requested anonymity because the team has not yet announced the new inductees. An official announcement is expected next week.

Grantham, a linebacker, and Philbin, a defensive lineman, helped anchor the Jets defense on the Super Bowl III championship team.

McNeil was drafted No. 3 overall by the Jets in 1981 and played 12 seasons for the team. He is the franchise's second all-time leading rusher, behind Curtis Martin.

Toon, the Jets' first-round pick in 1985, played his entire 8-year pro career for the team. He is the franchise's third all-time leading receiver.

Martin, Weeb Ewbank, Winston Hill, Joe Klecko, Don Maynard and Joe Namath were the inaugural Ring of Honor class. They were inducted last summer in the first preseason game played at the Jets' and Giants' shared new home. Honorees are enshrined inside the newly named MetLife stadium in both end zones.

Cool... fwiw though... they are no longer in the end zones... now on the sidelines...

Love Freeman McNeil....he was my favorite RB growing up....that is until Barry Sanders came to be.

Al TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON was awesome...until that hit by that bastard Pittsburgh LB knocked him out. Sad...

Wesley Walker DESERVES a spot in that ring as well..along with Pat Leahy and Mickey Shuler.

LL

I agree with the Inductees this past week, next year Wesley Walker HAS to get in, I think hes the Jets alltime best receiver & deep threat. If it was Todd, Kenny O, or Matt Ryan, Walker was always a playmaker. But there is someone missing and that is #42 Bruce Harper. This guy was the heart& soul of this team for many years. Punt, kickoff returner,running back,receiver he was all over the field. And while were at it, dont forget #93 Marty Lyons, he was a main cog with the sack exchange on that line with Klecko all those years. I used to sit behind the Lyons Loonies crowd at Shea back in the day.

Agreed. As much as I liked Toon, Wesley is a Jets legend.

I agree. Philbin was great. He played in the playoff game against the Chiefs the year after the SB with a dislocated shoulder and rushed the passer, Len Dawson. I thought Toon was going to be an all time great until the concussions. That was sad. But Wesley was GREAT!

Archived