WRs calling out Schottenheimer

Ranger

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jets/2011/10/09/2011-10-09_jets_brian_schottenheimers_plan_questioned_by_plaxico_burress_santonio_holmes_ma.html

Four weeks into a season with Super Bowl expectations, the locker-room complaints have grown louder in light of the Jets' offensive struggles.

The Daily News has learned that wide receivers Santonio Holmes, Plaxico Burress and Derrick Mason have individually gone to Rex Ryan in the past few weeks to question offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer's system.

Gang Green, losers of two straight entering today's game against the Patriots, ranks near the bottom of the league in total offense (25th) and rushing offense (30th).

Despite the fact that the Jets have been pass-heavy during the first month - they've thrown it 62% of the time - the receivers clearly aren't happy with the offense. Their decision to meet with Ryan at different points in the past month is a clear indictment of the offensive philosophy.

Holmes and Mason average three catches per game. Burress only averages 2.5. The trio has combined for 35 receptions for 432 yards. Patriots wide receiver Wes Welker, on the other hand, has 40 catches for 616 yards.

"We just grind for everything," a source told The News. "Nothing's ever easy."

Despite the organization's efforts to surround Mark Sanchez with plenty of weapons, the offense has sputtered. Gang Green had only seven first downs, 150 total yards and three points from the offense in the 34-17 loss to the Ravens last week.

Only the Broncos and Steelers have had more turnovers than the Jets' 10 giveaways (five fumbles, five interceptions) through the first four games. Baltimore scored 24 points off four of them.

The offense is tied for 24th in the league in third-down efficiency and first downs and 30th in yards gained on first down.

"Underwhelming," a source said.

Schottenheimer accepted the blame for the meltdown last week.

"We were really just kind of struggling, calling bad plays and not executing as clean as we need to do," Schottenheimer said. "I take responsibility for that … I think there have been cracks throughout certain times of our play."

The offensive woes against the Ravens prompted Holmes and Mason to speak out.

"Obviously, there's things that have to change," Mason said after the game. "There's some cracks. And don't nobody really want to identify the cracks. Until we identify the cracks, we're going to keep having the same problems. Whenever somebody wants to seal up the cracks, then we'll continue to move forward as an offense."

The receivers' decisions to approach the head coach during a season when the Jets are throwing it more than ever under Ryan speaks volumes about their feelings about the play-calling. Wideouts don't typically want to change when they're part of a pass-friendly offense. However, all of them recognize the importance of re-establishing a ground attack that has lost its way. To that end, Ryan admitted that his team will lean more on the ground-and-pound attack moving forward to re-establish a more physical mind-set.

"I'm not going to make any calls, any play calls or whatever," Ryan said. "I'll certainly give my opinion. I'm there to help."

After the loss to the Ravens, Holmes pointed out multiple failures on offense.

"We got to do a better job of running the football," Holmes said at the time. "That will be the key to jump-starting our offense... We definitely have to focus more on what we have to do running the ball and get the ball in the hands of the playmakers. Give our guy (Sanchez) a little bit of time so he can deliver the ball to the guys that can make plays for us."

Sanchez told reporters that any future critical comments by his teammates would stay in-house.

Despite the subpar start, the Jets' offense will likely have opportunities to exploit the Patriots, who rank last in total defense. Although Gang Green only averages 4.6 yards on first downs (30th in the league), New England is giving up a league-high 8.8 yards on first down.

If the offense sputters again Sunday, the dissension may become more widespread.

If the jets' braintrust and SChitty's big idea was ground and pound, signing Burress, Holmes and mason was a collosal mistake, as oppsoed to going with Cotchery, Patrick Turner and Kerley at WR and keeping Brad Smith and Woody and siging a big FA OL guy. And when they signed these guys their diva personalites were not a secret.And in this instance they are correct.

Expect many runs right at Wilfork for negligible gains.

Schitty is not part of any braintrust because he's brain freaking dead, but he msut have polaroids of Woody Johnson cavorting with forest creatures.

That is huge if Plax and Mason went. Holmes was here last year so I discount it a bit...

But Plax and Mason have been in multiple systems and are brand new. If after 4 games they are concerned enough to go to the head coach, that is bad.

But its not Schotty's fault! Ever! He is boy genius and Nacho is not a good QB!

I don't think a single person has ever made that argument, if they have they need their heads checked. People who think Sanchez sucks have been aware Schotty sucking as well.

I don't think a single person has ever made that argument, if they have they need their heads checked. People who think Sanchez sucks have been aware Schotty sucking as well.

Well there is actually one single person who's made that case, but I just started working under the assumption a while ago that Gato was doing it just for the sake of being argumentative, because there's no way anybody is that stupid.

Whats the worst thing that could happen, Schotty gets fired?

Much, much worse. Rex admires Schott for admitting he sucks and then puts off actually canning the dude because he's showed he can learn from his mistakes. I mean what, it's only been...5 and 1/4 seasons? He practically just got here.

But its not Schotty's fault! Ever! He is boy genius and Nacho is not a good QB!

Actually, I think it's fairly obvious that neither are particularly good. However, step one is killing schotty and hoping I'm wrong about Sanchez. If I'm not wrong, at least we've taken the first step to restarting on offense, with step 2 hopefully not too far behind.

Actually, I think it's fairly obvious that neither are particularly good. However, step one is killing schotty and hoping I'm wrong about Sanchez. If I'm not wrong, at least we've taken the first step to restarting on offense, with step 2 hopefully not too far behind.

This. Sanchez isn't a product of Schottenheimer or his line, and Schottenheimer isn't a product of his players. They're independently bad. Together it's a disaster. And there's really no point in trying to attribute blame anymore because it's pretty obvious by now that they all suck.

Jets deny that receivers complained to Rex Ryan

Posted by Mike Florio on October 9, 2011, 2:52 PM EDT

schottenheimergetty-e1318186277724.jpg?w=246

Getty Images

Earlier today, the New York Daily Newsreported that Jets receivers Santonio Holmes, Derrick Mason, and Plaxico Burress have complained to coach Rex Ryanregarding offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system.

The team has issued a statement denying the report.

“The New York Jets deny a report this morning that wide receivers Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason have gone to Head Coach Rex Ryan individually in the past few weeks to question offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system,” the statement reads.

The wording of the denial leaves room for the mincing of words. Maybe they didn’t go individually, but collectively. Maybe two went together, and one went alone.

Maybe they didn’t “go to” Ryan personally, but called him. Maybe it didn’t happen in the “past few weeks.”

Either way, it’s odd that the Jets would issue a statement denying the report. Few will take it at face value, and it will serve only to give more attention to the original report.

Jets deny that receivers complained to Rex Ryan

Posted by Mike Florio on October 9, 2011, 2:52 PM EDT

schottenheimergetty-e1318186277724.jpg?w=246

Getty Images

Earlier today, the New York Daily Newsreported that Jets receivers Santonio Holmes, Derrick Mason, and Plaxico Burress have complained to coach Rex Ryanregarding offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system.

The team has issued a statement denying the report.

“The New York Jets deny a report this morning that wide receivers Plaxico Burress, Santonio Holmes and Derrick Mason have gone to Head Coach Rex Ryan individually in the past few weeks to question offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer’s system,” the statement reads.

The wording of the denial leaves room for the mincing of words. Maybe they didn’t go individually, but collectively. Maybe two went together, and one went alone.

Maybe they didn’t “go to” Ryan personally, but called him. Maybe it didn’t happen in the “past few weeks.”

Either way, it’s odd that the Jets would issue a statement denying the report. Few will take it at face value, and it will serve only to give more attention to the original report.

If they didn't complaim about this idiot OC, they would have neither a heart nor a brain.Again, the Jets signed up for these guys knowing they all wanted to put up serious big numebrts. And the OC has nary a freaking clue how to use them. it was no secrtet that each of;em have a "Diva" streak, like many primo WRs. If the big idea was "ground and pound"(and good luck trying to beat the Pats scoring 17 points) signing these guys was a complete and total waste.

Archived