Rex Ryan says he would have earned 'a couple rings' if hired by Chargers in 2007

THE ILK

There's no denying this aspect of it - and when we first hired Rex I used to soapbox about how strategic I thought his "bold statements" were. That said, I'm just exhausted with it - the team has gotten worse in his tenure, not better. So talk is not what I'm looking for, improvement is. Also, he has gone from making bold statements, to insulting other coaches and sounding like an arrogant pig at times. We all hate BB and Brady because of their arrogance... how can I, in good consciousness, root for one guy for his arrogance and "hate" another? Makes me a hypocrite.

99% of "fans" are..

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well good...but I guess Im with Klacko on this one (shoot me)...but I didnt see this as taking a shot at Norv. I saw it as regular old Rex being confident as usual.

Of course it wasn't a mean spirited intentional shot at Norv, it's just rex being a self centered egomaniac and not thinking what people may infer from his comments.. and lol at you two spinning this as intentional, you guys don't know a doofus when you see one.. probably why your BFF's

Of course it wasn't a mean spirited intentional shot at Norv, it's just rex being a self centered egomaniac and not thinking what people may infer from his comments.. and lol at you two spinning this as intentional, you guys don't know a doofus when you see one.. probably why your BFF's

EXACTLY!!!

Huh? Spinning what as intentional? I just said the insult wasnt intentional and you agreed.

Confused noodledancer.

Huh? Spinning what as intentional? I just said the insult wasnt intentional and you agreed.

Confused noodledancer.

You said you agreed with klacko, klacko told me that rex did this intentionally to take the focus off of the offense and put it on him, and he's really a genuis

You said you agreed with klacko, klacko told me that rex did this intentionally to take the focus off of the offense and put it on him, and he's really a genuis

I dont think this is an example of that...but he most certainly puts himself out there with the media to take the pressure off his team. Thats why he says things like, this game is between Me and BB, or I've never beat Manning before...its all about him and people like yout think its just because he's an ego maniac, which Im sure is part of it, but I think Rex is a lot smarter than people think and he's very calculated with what he says and does.

lol

That's old news now. Norv can Harbaugh Rex this weekend.

Quite true, although if Norv Harbaugh'd Rex, I don't think Rex has it in him to run the 40 yards after him like Schwartz did.

I personally loved both their comments, especially Norv's, I like when coaches speak their mind and joke around. That having been said, Norv's words, albeit funnier, seem a bit more bitter seeing as he was on the losing end the last time. Push comes to shove, if you had to have a coach to win one big game, I'm taking Rex all the way.

Quite true, although if Norv Harbaugh'd Rex, I don't think Rex has it in him to run the 40 yards after him like Schwartz did.

I personally loved both their comments, especially Norv's, I like when coaches speak their mind and joke around. That having been said, Norv's words, albeit funnier, seem a bit more bitter seeing as he was on the losing end the last time. Push comes to shove, if you had to have a coach to win one big game, I'm taking Rex all the way.

LOL. Rex would be carted off if he tried to run after Norv.

Make no mistake, Rex's comments were just innocently stupid because (as CTM aptly described him) he's a self centered egomaniac. But Norv's statement was undoubtedly meanspirited. Rex didn't mean to take a jab at Norv, but Norv absolutely intended to hit Rex back.

And, of course, I still think Rex is hands down a better HC than Norv. BUT, I'd love to have Norv as OC over Schitty every time.

LOL. Rex would be carted off if he tried to run after Norv.

Make no mistake, Rex's comments were just innocently stupid because (as CTM aptly described him) he's a self centered egomaniac. But Norv's statement was undoubtedly meanspirited. Rex didn't mean to take a jab at Norv, but Norv absolutely intended to hit Rex back.

And, of course, I still think Rex is hands down a better HC than Norv. BUT, I'd love to have Norv as OC over Schitty every time.

And that's where Rex wins.

Rex: (to his team after practice today) Guys I was just answering a loaded question from the media about how I think I would do with that team as the head coach. Then this Norv character, who I think has only ever won one playoff game in his career, takes a shot at me? They're disrespecting us men! Are you gonna let them get away with that?

Yes, Rex should learn how to button his lip, but I have to laugh at how quickly some people forget how things were for a long time before he got here. We now expect this team to be good and that is a big change in the Jetsfan mentality. Even the douchebags in the media who always complained about Mangini and now love Rex because of his quotability, turn around and slam him when he gives them exactly what they want. Friggin hypocrites.

And that's where Rex wins.

Rex: (to his team after practice today) Guys I was just answering a loaded question from the media about how I think I would do with that team as the head coach. Then this Norv character, who I think has only ever won one playoff game in his career, takes a shot at me? They're disrespecting us men! Are you gonna let them get away with that?

I think that fat loudmouth punk only wins once he wins a Super Bowl, God bless his fat a$$.

Rex is an idiot.

He disses Norv and his own QB.

lol Yo, this is blown out of proportion, the way they always do. If you listen (and use common sense), he's saying one thing and making one point, in a way he thinks is funny (and so do I) but unfotunately in this sensitive a$$ society being fueled by the media, you need to watch what you say. That was his way of saying that the Chargers had a great team when he was interviewed. That's it. That was what he meant, and said without thinking about the peripheral effect. It most definitely was NOT a shot at Norv Turner, and I'm glad Norv got the last snap anyway, done. And I highly doubt it was a testimony to how great he is either, but if it is then put it with the 85 Bears comment, the superbowl predictions, Mason having 80 catches.....etc

These things DO hurt his credibility with fans, in the way that Patrick Ewing did when he guaranteed a championship (and then missed a finger roll for match lol), but in the ;ocker room is a different story. I highly doubt that these 50 guys that were ready to run through walls for Rex a minute ago have jumped ship because of how the media wants to spin him. I hope they are smarter than that. lol The only thing that stops it is winning. I think this team will find a way to get into the playoffs, but has he backed himself in a corner where he HAS to win or he failed? If he wins two PO games every year for the next five years, is it a failure? IDK I like that he sticks it all on the line like that. lol F-- em, Rex.

I keep hearing how this is going to fire up the chargers

how ?

how does norvs pre-game pep talk go ?

"men, rex ryan said if he was coaching you, you would have won championships ! he dissed my big game coaching resume !"

I think most guys in that room probably agree

I keep hearing how this is going to fire up the chargers

how ?

how does norvs pre-game pep talk go ?

"men, rex ryan said if he was coaching you, you would have won championships ! he dissed my big game coaching resume !"

I think most guys in that room probably agree

LOL. If anything, it will pump them up to play badly so Norv is fired!!!!!!!

I think Rex's mouth moves before his brain tells it what to say. I dont think by any means he meant to insult Norv Turner at all.

When Rex first got here many of us thought his comments were well calculated ideas to get in teams heads now I think its becoming clearer that Rex at times talks like a dope and creates his own problems for both himself and his team. The guy is a one track Defensive mind and thats about it. While I like his confidence I think he needs to take a second or two to think before he answers questions.

Does anyone know how long Pettine has been with him ? Reason I ask is I think Pettine is going to be getting some interviews in the comming years and it will be interesting to see how much that effects Rexs defense if Pettine is offered a HC job.

You all are worse than the media itself. Harping all over each and every thing our head coach says to the media. He said nothing wrong, he's just the type of person who speaks his mind. and there's nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all.

You give Rex Ryan a SD Chargers offense of 2007, with the overall knowledge that he has of the defensive side of the ball... And he WOULD HAVE won a ring or two with those guys as head coach. It's been SD's head coach who's held them back over the years.

He's led us to the AFC Championship Game during consecutive seasons for the first time in franchise history. #1 rated defense in 2009 and top 5 last year. Keep being yourself Rex, who cares if a bunch of complaining fans calls you a moron, idiot, dope or tells you to shut the **** up. Keep being yourself, they have no idea how stressful it is being a head coach. Who the F cares if he makes light of situations and has a good time while doing so? This man is ONE HELL of a football coach. His act will never get old to me, because he believes in this team and has been the best thing our franchise has seen since Bill Parcells.

Sorry but I disagree...there comes a point in time when you (Rex) is starting to sound really stupid and silly. He has created a side show, and is getting ripped by the media. While the clubhouse is starting to in-fight. We are 3 and 3. And if you were to project our sean like 99% of the Jet fans out here we would have not thought 3-3 is where we would be. The NFL has adjusted to our defense. And the results show. The front office has gone away from ground and pound and placed Sanchez in a situation (via a watered down offensive line) where he is compelled to pass more. The kid is not ready to do that. The offesnive coordinator we have is lost. And Rex chirps that he would have had two rings with SD and now throw in the two from 2009 and 2010...wow he has 4 rings and going for a fifth...you have got to be F'en kidding me.

I was one to give Rex the benefit of the doubt when we signed him to be the HC...I would have much preferred Cowher to come in here and run the football organization and be the HC. And now in hindsight I still think we should have done that.

Rex is a joke. Namath is right in his assessment and so is Fatcessa's. His act goes away if WE WIN because we will tolerate it because we win...if WE LOOSE...I don't believe we will tolerate his BS.

I hope REX takes note that if our team comes out and plays like crap...he looks even dumber (if that's possible).

Sorry but I disagree...there comes a point in time when you (Rex) is starting to sound really stupid and silly. He has created a side show, and is getting ripped by the media. While the clubhouse is starting to in-fight. We are 3 and 3. And if you were to project our sean like 99% of the Jet fans out here we would have not thought 3-3 is where we would be. The NFL has adjusted to our defense. And the results show. The front office has gone away from ground and pound and placed Sanchez in a situation (via a watered down offensive line) where he is compelled to pass more. The kid is not ready to do that. The offesnive coordinator we have is lost. And Rex chirps that he would have had two rings with SD and now throw in the two from 2009 and 2010...wow he has 4 rings and going for a fifth...you have got to be F'en kidding me.

I was one to give Rex the benefit of the doubt when we signed him to be the HC...I would have much preferred Cowher to come in here and run the football organization and be the HC. And now in hindsight I still think we should have done that.

Rex is a joke. Namath is right in his assessment and so is Fatcessa's. His act goes away if WE WIN because we will tolerate it because we win...if WE LOOSE...I don't believe we will tolerate his BS.

I hope REX takes note that if our team comes out and plays like crap...he looks even dumber (if that's possible).

On the Money

Go root for another team. You dont deserve to root for a guy like Rex.

Rex Ryan is the man. Jets fan are idiots. Dont know when they got a good thing going for em.

Rex is by far the best thing to ever happen to this franchise since I've been alive...by far! Some fans. :rolleyes:

Archived