Shonn Greene

Maxman

I have always felt confident that he isn't going to be a long time starter in this league. His running style doesn't lend itself to 16 games. He gets lower when hitting the hole than any Jet I have seen in awhile. But he is always banged up and just seems inconsistent.

Is it the kind of thing where they have to get him in a groove and keep handing him the ball? I think in his entire career he has 20 carries of more in a game only 7 times. Or does his durability prevent them from giving it to him that much?

It just seems like the Jets are always trying to find ways to get him on track.

So my real premise is this....is Shonn the long time # 2 guy here? Which could potentially make McKnight the long time # 3. And would mean a big splash next year (1st round?) on a back that can carry the load. With Shonn staying fresh to the tune of 7-8 carries a game, he could be a difference maker.

Thoughts?

If he turns into Brandon Jacobs, we are in trouble. He ran great for 1 season, now, since his body takes such a pounding when he runs, he tip-toes through the wholes. Greene is not at that point yet and hopefully he never will be.

I do not see them drafting another RB #1, but there are a lot of backs whose contracts are up at the end of this season (Matt Forte, Arian Foster, Ray Rice...) who I would like to see them go after.

I think Joe McKnight will be our starting back pretty soon and be that guy for 5 years. Shonn Green's running style doesn't make it in this league anymore. His running style is the kind that takes too much of a pounding to ever last. He is a good change of pace back-more a fullback than a halfback. i think McKnight can be a Chris Johnson type of back (they're about the same size) but never a 2000 yard guy but solid enough to last and to make an impact. Bilal Powell threw himself into the Jerald Sowell doghouse by fumbling away a sure TD a couple of weeks ago-he and the Jets were lucky that Matt Slauson was there.

Games will start to look like this by rushing attempts

13-15 Greene-Not a threat in the passing game bu good at beating down defenses.

1-5 Conner They should utilize him more running the ball. He always gains yards and its a nice wrinkle to the running

5-10 Mcknight-Again these are rushing attempt not snaps, Mcknight will probably get more snaps because he is a threat in the passing game where Greene ist below average.

If he turns into Brandon Jacobs, we are in trouble. He ran great for 1 season, now, since his body takes such a pounding when he runs, he tip-toes through the wholes. Greene is not at that point yet and hopefully he never will be.

I do not see them drafting another RB #1, but there are a lot of backs whose contracts are up at the end of this season (Matt Forte, Arian Foster, Ray Rice...) who I would like to see them go after.

God, I hope not. RB is a young man's game. High priced FA's is not the way to go at the position.

This offense is in desperate need of a complete back - a guy who can run and catch the football. Powell actually has that potential if McKnight doesn't, but they need to know what they have there before next year's draft. I'm a BAP guy in the draft, and if the BAP in the first round is a RB, I wouldn't hesitate to pounce.

I think Joe McKnight will be our starting back pretty soon and be that guy for 5 years. Shonn Green's running style doesn't make it in this league anymore. His running style is the kind that takes too much of a pounding to ever last. He is a good change of pace back-more a fullback than a halfback. i think McKnight can be a Chris Johnson type of back (they're about the same size) but never a 2000 yard guy but solid enough to last and to make an impact. Bilal Powell threw himself into the Jerald Sowell doghouse by fumbling away a sure TD a couple of weeks ago-he and the Jets were lucky that Matt Slauson was there.

They don't view McKnight as that kind of option right now. His lower body concerns the Jets -- he needs to hit the weight room and bulk up a bit...

They don't view McKnight as that kind of option right now. His lower body concerns the Jets -- he needs to hit the weight room and bulk up a bit...

I've been saying for a while now that before this season is done that Joe mcK will be the Jets starting back. He can bulk up in the off-season and be ready for next year because let's face the facts guys, this 2011 Jets squad ain't no Super Bowl caliber team anyway...

I think once LT is gone after this year, and with McKnight and Powell having another year under their belts you'll see a much more commitee-based approach out of the Jets next year. While we haven't seen much out of Powell so far, I think both Greene and McKnight have shown they can both be, at the very least, solid contributors, even if not necesarily every down backs. With Greene entering the last year of his deal, I doubt he'll be around after next season and don't be shocked to see the Jets go RB again on day 3 of the draft to groom another guy for a year to bring into the rotation following his departure. I find it doubtful the Jets will invest real big in any option at RB and if anything, will put a greater investment into the OL (namely RT and at the very least a future replacement at G). You don't need to have a great RB to have a very successful running game and a quick look around the league tells you those guys don't really last very long as it is.

Mcnight has problems with ball control- unless he can shore that up no way he can be a full time back. I think Greene is the type like we are using him -as part of a rotation.

agreed Frank but that is the kind of thing that can be fixed-we saw Tiki Barber go from a big ? to one of the NFC's best backs just by working on ball placement and how to hang on to it. I would still like to see us address that position maybe the same way we did it when we got Thomas Jones. I don't think Green can last a whole season with the way he doles out and TAKES punishment.

God, I hope not. RB is a young man's game. High priced FA's is not the way to go at the position.

This offense is in desperate need of a complete back - a guy who can run and catch the football. Powell actually has that potential if McKnight doesn't, but they need to know what they have there before next year's draft. I'm a BAP guy in the draft, and if the BAP in the first round is a RB, I wouldn't hesitate to pounce.

I agree with you there, most RBs make their numbers under their first contract then slowly fizzle out. It is a shame but that position takes such a pounding. With the way offenses are run now its almost as though you would rather have 2 above average backs as opposed to 1 premeire back.

The position needs a complete overhaul imo. Since we have no choice with Sanchez- you cant give the guy a 1st and 2nd down back that doesn't have the ability to catch. Greene doesn't exactly run like Earl Campbell either.

McKnight just doesn't impress me...he doesn't have the elusiveness you'd want out of a 3rd down back. I still prefer LT in that role.

Powell looked pathetic in preseason and fumbled the first time he got the ball.

Greene played well after LT wore down the defenses. Once they were tired, Greene just steamrolled them. LT being out has hurt this offense dramtically, from picking up blitzs, actually CATCHING passes and again tiring the defense out so Greene can start rolling. I know LT is nearing the end though, maybe we can get Leon back...RIGHT!

I think more emphasis needs to be focused on the offensive line before looking at our running backs as the main liability here. It all starts and ends right there - passing or running. Unless Tanny can land a steal of a trade/sign (Hillis is a FA, won't garner a huge contract with his current performance. MJD was rumored earlier), I don't think we're going to see a new face when we've spent three draft picks over the past three years on the guys we have right now.

I also believe RB's are severely overrated in this league unless you have one of the few elite guys - Forte, Peterson, etc - a great blocking scheme can make an average guy a 1200 yard guy.

I mean, look at what Denver did in its prime and what the Texans are doing now. Not saying Foster isn't an elite guy, he clearly is. But look at Tate. Are we to believe they have two elite RB's? Or one elite guy and an excellent zone-blocking scheme that can take a good back and make him a very good back?

A-freaking-men

Sounds cruel, but the business-move to make is to use them like disposable items. Play them, and play them hard, under their cheap rookie deals and let someone else pony up megabucks on a long-term deal that nets 1 more really good season (2 if they're lucky) before he's done and eating up valuable cap space needed for others.

A-freaking-men

Sounds cruel, but the business-move to make is to use them like disposable items. Play them, and play them hard, under their cheap rookie deals and let someone else pony up megabucks on a long-term deal that nets 1 more really good season (2 if they're lucky) before he's done and eating up valuable cap space needed for others.

True. But at the same time, with a below average QB like Sanchez, the Jets need a stud at the position that has big play ability and can actually catch a pass out of the backfield. Greene is either tripping over his own feet, running into the backs of linemen or taking footballs off of his face.

Running back is a huge need for this team.

Games will start to look like this by rushing attempts

13-15 Greene-Not a threat in the passing game bu good at beating down defenses.

1-5 Conner They should utilize him more running the ball. He always gains yards and its a nice wrinkle to the running

5-10 Mcknight-Again these are rushing attempt not snaps, Mcknight will probably get more snaps because he is a threat in the passing game where Greene ist below average.

Where does Bilal Powell fit in this discussion ?

I have said this for a couple of years. I would much rather us invest high draft picks in O-linemen that RBs. The line gets you the first 3 yards imo and SG can pound out the next 3. McKnight "pussy foots" through the hole so he needs to grow some stones and hit the fawking hole like he is a pro football RB not a pop warner superstar....

Greene is a highly limited player. I'm rooting for him, but he doesn't have much going for himself. He's slow, limited burst, never makes stuff happen on his own, injury prone, can't catch, etc. On the plus side, he can truck off a tackle here and there, and is pretty good in pass protection but that's about it.

I just hope that if we move away from him that we don't go the complete opposite way and make a scat back our feature back because that makes no sense to me. I think if some people had their way we would be stuck with a Reggie Bush type. There is much more to the RB position than pure speed and pass catching, don't forget that. Would much prefer a smart, tough, grinding back like Thomas Jones used to be for us.

Thomas Jones was 3 yards and a cloud of dust for us. Granted those 3 yards added up but those 3 yards were on our line. SG could do that if he had that line. He has more burst than TJ and is harder to catch once he gets to the next level. Draft a road grater for Tackle and Guard and we will be golden next year with what we have in the backfield...

Look at what the broncos did for years. 3 different RBs that they would trade away in the offseason and the next guy would step up and make everyone forget who was toting the rock the year before. I think Ball was the last guy in that line of RBs.

Greene is a highly limited player. I'm rooting for him, but he doesn't have much going for himself. He's slow, limited burst, never makes stuff happen on his own, injury prone, can't catch, etc. On the plus side, he can truck off a tackle here and there, and is pretty good in pass protection but that's about it.

I just hope that if we move away from him that we don't go the complete opposite way and make a scat back our feature back because that makes no sense to me. I think if some people had their way we would be stuck with a Reggie Bush type. There is much more to the RB position than pure speed and pass catching, don't forget that. Would much prefer a smart, tough, grinding back like Thomas Jones used to be for us.

But the Jets drafted him hes got to be awesome . Get with the program our offense is incredible top ten talent all the way around its Sanchez that ruins it all. I have swung to the darkside

If thinkgs continue the way they are Powell will be gone next year. Guys shown nothing. RB is a position that the players are best their first couple of years. Guys shown 0

How many carries does he have ? 7 ? Come on man hes a Jets draft pick we have to at least give him a chance. Joe "hand tackle" Mcknight will save the day. I would call him "arm tackle" but all it takes is a hand to bring him down.

On offense hes the same crap On special teams he runs till someone hits him... or touches him, emphasis on touch.

That's a huge improvement from this time last season.

Not saying he is the second coming of Walter Payton. But at this time last season he would have had trouble getting on the 53 man roster were he not a 4th round pick. So there is some progress.

My point being is it out of reason to except similar strides from Powell ?

his role is the battering ram, designed to play on first and second down and wear down the defense while being productive.

any back who regularly comes out on third down really isn't a long term #1, he's fresh meat for the grinder until the wheel come off an they draft another guy

True. Thats correct so far.

But what did we think of McKnight this time last year.

McKnight screwed up big last year. He came in badly out of shape, dropped the football. He showed some flashes at the end of the year which gave hope. But the Jets still took Powell. I'm not 100% sold on him as a RB. We'll see.

So far Powell hasn't shown any flash at all in the few chances he has had. Not in camp, not a few weeks ago. He just looks slow to the hole.

If he gets any more chances, and still shows nothing, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the Jets take another mid round RB, and move on.

That's a huge improvement from this time last season.

Not saying he is the second coming of Walter Payton. But at this time last season he would have had trouble getting on the 53 man roster were he not a 4th round pick. So there is some progress.

My point being is it out of reason to except similar strides from Powell ?

Sure if Powell ever gets a real shot at actully playing. I think McKnight does well returning kicks but to be honest most fast players do well returning kicks in Westhoffs schemes. I dont think Mcknight will make it as a running back or a 3rd down back but

Sure if Powell ever gets a real shot at actully playing. I think McKnight does well returning kicks but to be honest most fast players do well returning kicks in Westhoffs schemes. I dont think Mcknight will make it as a running back or a 3rd down back but

He is like a drugstore diamond. He has his flaws. But his ability to catch makes him a better potential 3rd down back than Greene.

Archived