Joe Namath on New York Jets Hire of Sparano: "I'm Stumped"

flgreen

Joe Namath on New York Jets' hire of Tony Sparano: 'I'm stumped'

By Mike Berardino Sun Sentinel

9:13 p.m. EST, January 12, 2012

Welcome to the Big Apple, Tony Sparano.

Joe Namath didn’t sound very impressed with the New York Jets’ new offensive coordinator during this Thursday appearance on New York radio.

<p>

“I’m stumped,” Namath said. “I am stumped.”

Namath, who last played 35 years ago, questioned Sparano’s “credentials” as a playcaller, something he hasn’t done since his Dallas days.

I find such criticism a bit strange considering Namath is a big Chad Pennington guy, and so is Sparano. But the Tequesta resident does have a South Floridian’s skepticism to go along with his status as the most legendary of all Jets.

A little later Thursday, Bill Parcells rode to the rescue and gave ESPN New York.com a glowing review of Sparano’s coaching ability in general, although Parcells, an ESPN employee, would not share how he thought Sparano might fit in his new role.

“He did good for us,” Parcells said of Sparano’s time calling plays for the 2006 Cowboys. “I was always impressed with him. His work ethic. He’s a very loyal guy. He’s a really loyal, good person.”

Parcells also seemed to suggest Sparano would be able to handle the snakepit of an offensive room he’s stepping into (Santonio Holmes’ benching, the anonymous ripping of Mark Sanchez, etc.)

“He has own way of doing things,” Parcells said of Sparano. “He’s not fearful. This guy is not looking for trouble. He goes by what he sees. He’s not overbearing. He picks his spots. … He wants to be sound on protection. He wants to protect the quarterback. That’s very important. That will be an emphasis there, and that’s a good thing. Quarterbacks take comfort in that and become efficient because of that.”

Unless they’re Chad Henne.

Then they just see nobody open downfield and dump the ball off.

Has Namath actually ever given suggestions of what he'd do differently or just insults everything the Jets do?

I honestly dont know because I could care less about his opinion. Like, who would have Namath hired?

He just likes running his mouth to try and stay relevant. Someone should tell him he hasn't been in decades.

Has Namath actually ever given suggestions of what he'd do differently or just insults everything the Jets do?

I honestly dont know because I could care less about his opinion. Like, who would have Namath hired?

Only problem I have with the way the Jets handled this is it seems like they made a very quick decision and did not interview anyone. I would have been fine if Sparano was the ultimate choice but i would have liked to see more go into the process. Both Tannenbaum and Rex seem to be a little impatient and i think this probably proves it.

Has Namath been wrong about anything yet this year?

Namath has a good feel for the game and this team, Jets fans just cant deal with it. Thats not to say I agree with everything the guy says but Im glad he speaks his mind. I think the Jets should have hired him as a consultant years ago

Suzy Kolber as OC

I happen to agree with Joe on this one. Not crazy about the hire.

On the other hand I liked Joe a lot better, as the drunken, good natured , Jets homer.

Correct he is not saying anything different then what half this site was saying yesterday -- What's the problem?

Joe Namath on New York Jets' hire of Tony Sparano: 'I'm stumped'

By Mike Berardino Sun Sentinel

9:13 p.m. EST, January 12, 2012

Welcome to the Big Apple, Tony Sparano.

Joe Namath didn’t sound very impressed with the New York Jets’ new offensive coordinator during this Thursday appearance on New York radio.

<p>

I’m stumped,” Namath said. “I am stumped.”

Namath, who last played 35 years ago, questioned Sparano’s “credentials” as a playcaller, something he hasn’t done since his Dallas days.

I find such criticism a bit strange considering Namath is a big Chad Pennington guy, and so is Sparano. But the Tequesta resident does have a South Floridian’s skepticism to go along with his status as the most legendary of all Jets.

A little later Thursday, Bill Parcells rode to the rescue and gave ESPN New York.com a glowing review of Sparano’s coaching ability in general, although Parcells, an ESPN employee, would not share how he thought Sparano might fit in his new role.

“He did good for us,” Parcells said of Sparano’s time calling plays for the 2006 Cowboys. “I was always impressed with him. His work ethic. He’s a very loyal guy. He’s a really loyal, good person.”

Parcells also seemed to suggest Sparano would be able to handle the snakepit of an offensive room he’s stepping into (Santonio Holmes’ benching, the anonymous ripping of Mark Sanchez, etc.)

“He has own way of doing things,” Parcells said of Sparano. “He’s not fearful. This guy is not looking for trouble. He goes by what he sees. He’s not overbearing. He picks his spots. … He wants to be sound on protection. He wants to protect the quarterback. That’s very important. That will be an emphasis there, and that’s a good thing. Quarterbacks take comfort in that and become efficient because of that.”

Unless they’re Chad Henne. Then they just see nobody open downfield and dump the ball off.

Gee, when Namath says he's "stumped," is talking about the hiring of Sparano, or about the female reporter not kissing him when he was bombed during an on-the-field interview a few years back?

Namath is the best thing about this franchise. Period.

That being said he's old and wants to see his team finally win one again. Like a grandparent he thinks that gives him a right to speak his mind even if its riddled with Alchohol- induced amnestic disorder. Obviously he has forgotten he's Joe Namath and thinks he's Weeb Ewbank. i'm shocked Im the only one that sees this. Bunch of geniuses you guys are.

He just likes running his mouth to try and stay relevant. Someone should tell him he hasn't been in decades.

Stop. Show some respect. Guy is the shining light of this abysmal organization. Old drunk kinda loopy crazy shining light that sorta flickers. but still. He is the man.

Joe's a Jet fan and he's hoping the Jets win another Super Bowl.

Then he should go play in traffic. The only plausible explanation for this franchise's misfortunes for the past 40+ years is that he made a deal with the devil for that SB victory and as long as he's walking the Earth, the Jets are doomed.

Joe Namath was spot on a few months when he criticized Rex's style. And I do not think he is too far from the truth on his opinion on the Sparano hiring.

The decision makers for the Jets, and a s we were told there are only three, continue to do things that other teams would not do.

First, they guarantee Shotty will be back unless he lands a head coaching gig. Then, when Shotty does not land a HC job, they fire him, and, in the same breath, hire Sparano. Just makes you scratch your head a little.

I find it appaling that JWN gets sh*t on here with regularity, the guy knows football 1000x more than us combined. No one read a defense better, the dude called his own plays to boot, he didnt need flash cards showing him red green and yellow. I think Soprano is a crappy hire too, G&P is a joke without a vertical passing game. So all we need is a RB and a QB. I think it is cool JWN cares about team and shares his disgust as most fans do with this org

Then he should go play in traffic. The only plausible explanation for this franchise's misfortunes for the past 40+ years is that he made a deal with the devil for that SB victory and as long as he's walking the Earth, the Jets are doomed.

If that's the case...how did the Browns earn their misery?

Archived