LT Hints That WR's Could be Root of Problem

flgreen

LT hints that WRs could be root of problem

January, 15, 2012

Jan 15

1:27

PM ET

By Rich Cimini

LaDainian Tomlinson shed some new light on the Jets' locker-room issues, suggesting Sunday that the "receivers" -- Santonio Holmes and Plaxico Burress -- could be responsible for the anonymous bashing of QB Mark Sanchez.

Tomlinson, appearing on ESPN's Sunday NFL Countdown as a guest analyst, didn't mention Holmes or Burress by name. But he didn't have to.

"I think some things that happened in the locker room between (Sanchez) and the receivers, I think that's where this is coming from -- some of the disconnects that happened throughout the year, maybe some of the arguments you guys heard about throughout the year," Tomlinson said. "So I think this is where it may be coming from."

Like several of his teammates that defended Sanchez publicly in recent days, Tomlinson claimed Sanchez isn't lazy, as one unnamed player said in a New York Daily News article.

"Listen, there are a lot of things you can say about Mark Sanchez, but to call him lazy is a bit much," Tomlinson said. "This is a guy that has worked very hard off the field ... in the film room, I've seen it ... the weight room, putting in extra time with the coaches early in the morning ... after practice, when everybody is gone, putting in time. So he's not lazy."

But Tomlinson didn't disagree with the notion that Sanchez needs a viable backup to keep him sharp.

"Mark hasn't had that competition to push him," said Tomlinson, adding that all athletes are better when there's pressure to perform. "I do think he'll be a better player if he has some competition, somebody to push him."

Tomlinson suggested that the locker-room turmoil existed throughout the season, but didn't become public until players got frustrated late in the year because of the losing.

"There were times in the locker room that things were happening, but players -- for the most part in the season -- kept it under wraps," he said. "It didn't really get out to the media until the end part of the season. I think it happened because of the losses we had toward the end. Once that happened, you got guys to come out to the media, saying things, (how) they're not happy about certain situations.

"That's the issue. You have guys, anonymously, saying things that are bringing this team down and you can't have that."

Actually, things started to spiral out of control when Holmes was benched late in the final game because he was jawing with teammates, some of whom accused him of quitting. In the ensuing days, the Holmes-Sanchez rift was exposed, along with a strong anti-Holmes sentiment in the locker room. The turmoil escalated when the Daily News quoted an unspecificed number of players -- all unnamed -- that bashed Sanchez.

Tomlinson, a free agent, said he's still contemplating retirement, but keeping his options open.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I heard the interview and thought it was interesting. It sounds like the receivers would berate Sanchez behind closed doors and he never stood up for himself and the team lost respect for him. Good job by Tannenbaum surrounding his QB with renowned psychopaths.

I heard the interview and thought it was interesting. It sounds like the receivers would berate Sanchez behind closed doors and he never stood up for himself and the team lost respect for him. Good job by Tannenbaum surrounding his QB with renowned psychopaths.

Heard the interview myself. I missed the part where he said "the team lost respect for him"

I got the idea that LT feels Sanchez is very complacent behind the scenes with his role in the offense and position on the team. Tomlinson has worked with some good QBs and I think most good/great QBs push themselves very hard behind the scenes. I think Sanchez works behind the scenes but doesnt necessarily push himself to excel. Kind of like the guy in school that works hard enough to make sure they get a decent grade but isnt going to push himself to be the best in the class. The great QB always wants to be best in class. Sanchez sometimes comes across saying "well I improved here and there and thats pretty good for a young guy, but Ill get better".

Sounds like there was also a pretty big divide between the receivers and Sanchez/O-Line. I know people want to just think it was on Mark, but when you see the way things broke at the end I think those guys got all over the line for giving the QB no time to throw the ball and forcing the offense to be 6 and 7 yard pass attempts. Definitely have to fix some things next year because there was an offense/defense divide brewing at years end as well.

I got the idea that LT feels Sanchez is very complacent behind the scenes with his role in the offense and position on the team. Tomlinson has worked with some good QBs and I think most good/great QBs push themselves very hard behind the scenes. I think Sanchez works behind the scenes but doesnt necessarily push himself to excel. Kind of like the guy in school that works hard enough to make sure they get a decent grade but isnt going to push himself to be the best in the class. The great QB always wants to be best in class. Sanchez sometimes comes across saying "well I improved here and there and thats pretty good for a young guy, but Ill get better".

Sounds like there was also a pretty big divide between the receivers and Sanchez/O-Line. I know people want to just think it was on Mark, but when you see the way things broke at the end I think those guys got all over the line for giving the QB no time to throw the ball and forcing the offense to be 6 and 7 yard pass attempts. Definitely have to fix some things next year because there was an offense/defense divide brewing at years end as well.

I agree with your analysis...I still fault the coaching staff for handing him a job without even a legitimate contender for the job...I know this is a minority opinion on board...sounds like Sanchez just wanted to be "best on team" and not best in league. The Jets have to get a quality player to push him next. Still not sure how we move forward with the WRs...I'll assume Plax is a goner but Holmes with the contract may make it difficult.

So Thomas....we are off the Sanchez is lazy remarks correct?

Just kidding.j

Basically LT is saying pretty much the same things the people who feel it is not yet time to write Sanchez off have said for weeks.

I think this is similiar to when the Giants were finally done with Tiki and Shockey and it became Eli's team. The ony issue is we are likely stuck with Holmes. I think we can be sure that Tanny signs someone who actually can takeover for Sanchez if need be.

Basically LT is saying pretty much the same things the people who feel it is not yet time to write Sanchez off have said for weeks.

I think this is similiar to when the Giants were finally done with Tiki and Shockey and it became Eli's team. The ony issue is we are likely stuck with Holmes. I think we can be sure that Tanny signs someone who actually can takeover for Sanchez if need be.

That's why Holmes needs to get cut or anyway you can make it happen "gone"...keeping a cancer, no matter how small, can only lead to more cancer.

Stop making crap up again..there is no evidence of the team losing respect for him, except for the prima donnas who cry anonymously.

Stop making crap up again..there is no evidence of the team losing respect for him, except for the prima donnas who cry anonymously.

My bad. I'm sure that watching Holmes, Burress and Mason steamroll Sanchez all season long did a lot for Sanchez's standing in the locker room. I hear they call him "Churchillito."

I hate to be a JIF and say I told ya so but ..... Was it no wonder Cotchery wanted out ? Sure he was hurt last year and had a bad season with us but its becoming more and more obvious we need big changes on offense.

I think Tannenbaum just wanted to stack the roster while the guys from the two previous D's still might have it. The idea was good but like so many things this year the execution sucked so bad.

Maybe Tannanbaum should have got a QB with a ball sack instead?

"There were times in the locker room that things were happening, but players -- for the most part in the season -- kept it under wraps," he said. "It didn't really get out to the media until the end part of the season. I think it happened because of the losses we had toward the end. Once that happened, you got guys to come out to the media, saying things, (how) they're not happy about certain situations.

Weird. Sounds like someone is saying, "winning cures all".

This explains why Sanchez did not celebrate after throwing TD passes to his WRs...He usually likes to run into the endzone celebrate with them...

Holmes needs to go

I completely agree! I know people are gonna laugh at this because who gives a sh*t if he's having fun but Sanchez was NOT having fun out there this year. He wasn't himself, he was trying to be more intense and that's fine but the lack of emotion after TDs was strange for him. There was clearly a disconnect between him and his WR's.

I completely agree! I know people are gonna laugh at this because who gives a sh*t if he's having fun but Sanchez was NOT having fun out there this year. He wasn't himself, he was trying to be more intense and that's fine but the lack of emotion after TDs was strange for him. There was clearly a disconnect between him and his WR's.

agree completely....noticed it about midway through the year when he would jog right to the sideline after a touchdown and right to the bench. At first I thought it was him sulking over the fan/media criticism, now we know what was really going on

I think he did a better job moving up to draft a mediocre little girl as a QB. Football is a mans sport you either gotta be good or tuff. Sanchez is neither.

I think he did a better job moving up to draft a mediocre little girl as a QB. Football is a mans sport you either gotta be good or tuff. Sanchez is neither.

I'm not so sure. Then guy gets completely creamed out there and gets back up. He rolls around and cries a little bit of course, but he gets back up none the less.

Archived