Drew Stanton Signed

MTJ06

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sanchez isn't worse than he was two or three years ago, despite the strong opinions in here, and two and three years ago, Sanchez managed to get the Jets as far as the AFC Championship Game.

If the defense is playing great, the offense will be back to its ground and pound roots. Sanchez will be asked simply not to lose games, and rarely put in the position where he can.

There were not any real options for the Jets at the position, no matter how much people want to whine about it. Flynn's a ?, and I certainly wouldn't trust Manning's neck for a 5 year, $90M contract (or $60M, or whatever he eventually signs for). I'd've liked Campbell, and that's about it. And the Jets, obviously, want to give Sanchez as much of a chance to seize the position as possible. They've invested in the player, and they're going to give him every chance to succeed (read: coddle). For better or worse, that's what this year was going to be about no matter what he was being paid, or who the backup was going to be.

I can understand the whole fans-are-impatient/stupid angle, but that still doesn't justify putting all the organizational eggs in the Sanchez basket, particularly going into Year Four of a promising regime. Regardless of anyone's level of faith in Sanchez's potential, not having a viable alternative behind him is as short-sighted as, say, having Rick Mirer backing up Vinny Testaverde.

Right. Getting to two Super Bowls and having the highest winning % in football is not winning sh*t. Okay. Sure wish they had gone 8-8 instead of losing another SB.

Love the pats fans bragging about 2nd place now. Oh How their expectations have changed.

I think we saw that twice this year in Championship games, yet Jets fans keep deluding themselves that next year will be the year the ground and pound and defense wins a Super Bowl. Sorry, that NFL is pretty much gone.

That's the "straw man" comment I was referring to.

Interesting that you would pull the "straw man" card when I never said predictions. The point about "next year" is the idea that for years ground and pound in the NFL is not getting it done, yet we keep thinking that we can do it. Is it possible? Of course. Would I rather not try to be the statistical anomaly? Uh, yeah.

Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, and Chad Henne were all available. We've yet to see a season where Mark Sanchez hasn't had a significant meltdown... It doesn't seem smart for a team that talks about being a contender not to have some kind of contingency against that. Those three guys may not be great QBs, and if you want to make the argument that Sanchez is better than all of them, it's not one I find worth countering. However, the fact remains, no matter how bad Mark Sanchez plays, and we've seen pretty bad, he'll still play. There is no accountability, unless you buy the idea that he's accountable to the fans and the media because it's NY, but that's pretty much nonsense. Then, there's the idea that he could get hurt for the short term, and you have no one who's played in a long time to get us past a 3 game stretch without him.

I don't think anyone in the league likes Kyle Orton, and I think Orton sees himself as a starter, yet he signed a 3-year, $10.5M contract with the Cowboys. Jason Campbell signed a one year, $3.5M contract with the Bears. I think Jet fans would've killed this front office for making the same moves. Henne signed a 2-year, $6.75M contract. No one knows the player as well as the Jets new OC, and they decided to pass on him. They have to trust in the coaches they hire.

None of these QB's were guaranteed to do anything here other than eat up a lot of cap space.

I can understand the whole fans-are-impatient/stupid angle, but that still doesn't justify putting all the organizational eggs in the Sanchez basket, particularly going into Year Four of a promising regime. Regardless of anyone's level of faith in Sanchez's potential, not having a viable alternative behind him is as short-sighted as, say, having Rick Mirer backing up Vinny Testaverde.

See above. There really weren't any affordable, viable options available. Not with the other holes on the roster and limited cap space.

I think this year is Sanchez's make or break year. They're giving him a full coddled chance to blossom outside of Brian Schottenheimer's influence. They already have a lot invested in him, and they're not prepared to make wholesale changes, or risk an expensive public QB controversy that might hinder whatever possible potential development he has.

I get being disappointed with the situation, but they're taking the pragmatic approach. Something this front office doesn't do often enough, IMHO.

Lets face it, the plan from teh get go was to lock up sanchez and affirm him as team leader (Cause he's a homo and needs someone to do that for him).

Manning was never a serious consideration, hiring Sparano and talking about ground and pound was a hint at that.. Clearly now, there was never a serious thought about even bringing in competition. Rex and Tanny are clearly very content with the QB position on this team/

So now we have a bad QB, paid like a good one, that's going to be asked to do the job of a mediocre one and "manage" the game... Hope it works out, but honeslty I think Rex and Tanny both have thier heads up thier asses, even if he does exactly what they ask and manages the game, he's still being way overpaid

No it's a ridiculous argument that some guy who can also throw a football is going to make Sanchez a better quarterback.

I think most who were hoping for legitimate competition to be brought in, were hoping that if Sanchez didn't play better then whoever it was, he sat... IT's' about improving the team, not neccesarily Sanchez

I don't think anyone in the league likes Kyle Orton, and I think Orton sees himself as a starter, yet he signed a 3-year, $10.5M contract with the Cowboys. Jason Campbell signed a one year, $3.5M contract with the Bears. I think Jet fans would've killed this front office for making the same moves. Henne signed a 2-year, $6.75M contract. No one knows the player as well as the Jets new OC, and they decided to pass on him. They have to trust in the coaches they hire.

None of these QB's were guaranteed to do anything here other than eat up a lot of cap space.

Personally, I'd be a lot happier if Sanchez took a pay cut and we signed Campbell and declared it an open compeition this summer..

A lot happier

I get being disappointed with the situation, but they're taking the pragmatic approach. Something this front office doesn't do often enough, IMHO.

Slats - REALLY good posts in this thread, really good.

slats, $3.5 million for Campbell or 2 years, $6.75 million for Henne are NOT examples of big money for a "1b" type QB. We signed Stanton, a # 3 QB, for $1.25 million.

Had we forced Sanchez to compete for his job with one of those 2 guys, not a single person would have complained about it. Instead, we gave Sanchez more money and guaranteed him the starting job. The decision the organization made wasn't pragmatic at all, it was chicken-sh**.

slats, $3.5 million for Campbell or 2 years, $6.75 million for Henne are NOT examples of big money for a "1b" type QB. We signed Stanton, a # 3 QB, for $1.25 million.

Had we forced Sanchez to compete for his job with one of those 2 guys, not a single person would have complained about it. Instead, we gave Sanchez more money and guaranteed him the starting job. The decision the organization made wasn't pragmatic at all, it was chicken-sh**.

When I go out of my way to call other posts great, you should then simply move on to other things to comment on.

The lack of respect I get here is amazing. :)

Personally, I'd be a lot happier if Sanchez took a pay cut and we signed Campbell and declared it an open compeition this summer..

A lot happier

I was once of this mindset but have realized it's a complete waste of time. If you're going to bring in competition for Sanchez, it's got to be someone you think is potentially a viable answer as a long term solution for this team. The mediocre nobody QB is a waste of everyone's time and only increases the odds you'll stick with a guy who will never get it done just because he's "not that bad". At this point, the Jets need to decide whether they're going to give Sanchez more shots to be the guy they drafted him to be, or start getting the next guy ready to be that. For this year, they've obviously decided to go with Sanchez, and the truth is, outside of maybe a couple of wins in case of injury, having a mediocre Campbell/Orton/Henne type isn't going to get you anywhere. If he sh*ts the bed again this year, then next offseason you look through FA and the draft to find a guy who you think can be your future franchise QB. If there's one thing that has become blatantly obvious in today's NFL, it's your not going anywhere without a top notch QB, so it's not worth a second of your time to go with a QB who you already know will never be that. Sanchez will probably never get there, but I'll still take the small sliver of hope that exists with him over a guy who's already as good as he'll ever be, and it's not particularly good. The only worth those type of QBs have is if your team already has their proven franchise guy who you know can get it done, and you want someone available who can hold down the fort on a very short-term basis in case something happens. Expecting any more than that out of those guys is pointless, and bringing in that type to backup Sanchez, who still needs to prove himself, will just cause more trouble than it's worth.

I was once of this mindset but have realized it's a complete waste of time. If you're going to bring in competition for Sanchez, it's got to be someone you think is potentially a viable answer as a long term solution for this team. The mediocre nobody QB is a waste of everyone's time and only increases the odds you'll stick with a guy who will never get it done just because he's "not that bad". At this point, the Jets need to decide whether they're going to give Sanchez more shots to be the guy they drafted him to be, or start getting the next guy ready to be that. For this year, they've obviously decided to go with Sanchez, and the truth is, outside of maybe a couple of wins in case of injury, having a mediocre Campbell/Orton/Henne type isn't going to get you anywhere. If he sh*ts the bed again this year, then next offseason you look through FA and the draft to find a guy who you think can be your future franchise QB. If there's one thing that has become blatantly obvious in today's NFL, it's your not going anywhere without a top notch QB, so it's not worth a second of your time to go with a QB who you already know will never be that. Sanchez will probably never get there, but I'll still take the small sliver of hope that exists with him over a guy who's already as good as he'll ever be, and it's not particularly good. The only worth those type of QBs have is if your team already has their proven franchise guy who you know can get it done, and you want someone available who can hold down the fort on a very short-term basis in case something happens. Expecting any more than that out of those guys is pointless, and bringing in that type to backup Sanchez, who still needs to prove himself, will just cause more trouble than it's worth.

tl;dr

I just don't get where the upside is with making Sanchez compete with a player that has no upside for this team. What are the possible outcomes? Best case scenario, Sanchez outperforms the other guy, has a good season and becomes the player Jets hoped they would get all along. Unless you think the guy being there to lose the competition had anything to do with Sanchez's success, it was a waste of money. Every other outcome is just a disaster waiting to happen. You could have Sanchez get outperformed by the other QB and still be given the starting job, and then by the start of the season you have a head coach and QB who have already started to lose the team. Or you have Sanchez get beat out, and you hand the starting job to a proven mediocre nobody who you're still not going to win sh*t with and at the end of the season, find yourself trying to figure out what you should do with this mediocre QB you have that isn't all that bad (i.e., the Pennington Effect), and watch as the team spends a series of subsequent years putting far less effort into their QB search because they already have a guy who can "hold down the fort", and in the process end up with nothing while never having their team go anywhere. Don't get me wrong, if you want to bring in a guy who you think has the chance to be your man for the future (or at least a guy you think you can win now with, like Manning), then do it and let Sanchez fight for his life, but if not then it's not going to get you anywhere.

Well, if Campbell beats out Sanchez you achieve the same thing, you realize he's not the guy and you move on next offseason. Atleast you're more competitive this season. Further, if the the defense is 2009 like again, we will be in a great spot to make the SB with even average QB play. THe AFC is way weaker then the NFC, parcticularrly if Manning goes to SF. So the issue is twofold 1) we don't know if Sanchez can put up average type numbers (Efficiency wise) and 2) if Sanchez gets hurt, we have 0 behind him and the seasons essentially over. Signing legit competition helps ensure both A and B

That $2+M difference is a lot of money for a player they hope never takes the field when they're also trying to fill a lot of other gaps with limited cap room. They signed this Chaz dude for @ $760K, they're looking to sign a couple starting safeties, maybe an ILB or an OL.

They want Sanchez to succeed. You can certainly complain about the coddling, but it's hardly chickensh!t to stick with Sanchez. Just the opposite, really. They're making the unpopular decision, and I'm sure they know it. Rex and Tanny both have a lot riding on Sanchez. That might prove to be foolish, but it's certainly not cowardly!

That $2+M difference is a lot of money for a player they hope never takes the field when they're also trying to fill a lot of other gaps with limited cap room. They signed this Chaz dude for @ $760K, they're looking to sign a couple starting safeties, maybe an ILB or an OL.

They want Sanchez to succeed. You can certainly complain about the coddling, but it's hardly chickensh!t to stick with Sanchez. Just the opposite, really. They're making the unpopular decision, and I'm sure they know it. Rex and Tanny both have a lot riding on Sanchez. That might prove to be foolish, but it's certainly not cowardly!

Agreed.

Love the pats fans bragging about 2nd place now. Oh How their expectations have changed.

Funny coming from a guy whose team's pinnacle in the last 44 years is losing back to back AFCCGs .

But please, get back on topic to the jag who gets to hold the clipboard and be the new booger receptacle for Marky.

Why is that not a fair point?

The reality of it is, ground and pound is on life support at best as far as a means of winning in this league. You can win games while asking your QB to "just don't screw it up", but championships are hardly won that way anymore.

What is your quick fix again? I know you have one but I keep forgetting what it is. Something along the lines of "Sanchez sucks and this is what the team should do".

Nice post. This competition B.S. over guys who have been shown the door by their former teams is the most lame thing on this message board.

Funny coming from a guy whose team's pinnacle in the last 44 years is losing back to back AFCCGs .

But please, get back on topic to the jag who gets to hold the clipboard and be the new booger receptacle for Marky.

If you eant to talk football by all means go for it. If you are here for anything else we will have to say no thanks.

What is your quick fix again? I know you have one but I keep forgetting what it is. Something along the lines of "Sanchez sucks and this is what the team should do".

Actually I prefer if the team sticks with Sanchez and he continues to suck. This way butt hurt middle-aged men can continue to follow me around and obsess over most everything I say on a message board. The attention is flattering. Embarrassing for them, sure, but flattering none the less. If the Jets got better... I'd miss you guys... I really would.

Actually I prefer if the team sticks with Sanchez and he continues to suck.  This way butt hurt middle-aged men can continue to follow me around and obsess over most everything I say on a message board.  The attention is flattering.  Embarrassing for them, sure, but flattering none the less.  If the Jets got better... I'd miss you guys... I really would.

So as expected no plan....just insults and mixed with a over estimation of self. When called on that names like orton, Campbell and Henne usually follow....ie., no plan.

So as expected no plan....just insults and mixed with a over estimation of self. When called on that names like orton, Campbell and Henne usually follow....ie., no plan.

No overestimation of self... I don't know why you do what you do... You just do it. It's not about me at all... It's clearly about you. I'm just saying I enjoy it.

We are Jet fans we take what we can get. You are alive to enjoy the best period ever for your franchise. Enjoy while you can.

Actually I prefer if the team sticks with Sanchez and he continues to suck. This way butt hurt middle-aged men can continue to follow me around and obsess over most everything I say on a message board. The attention is flattering. Embarrassing for them, sure, but flattering none the less. If the Jets got better... I'd miss you guys... I really would.

Sorta like Sanchez and Brunell?

We are Jet fans we take what we can get. You are alive to enjoy the best period ever for your franchise. Enjoy while you can.

Oh, I am. I was around during the dark years of Rod Rust, Tony Eason et.al. so I take nothing for granted. The last decade, especially, was a great one for regional sports fans with the Sox, Bruins, Celtics, and Pats all winning championships. Indeed, it has been magical.

Archived