Drew Stanton Signed

MTJ06

I see your point...realize fans expectation could play a role...but the damage is most likely already done...since he was drafted the lack of competition for the QB position has created a sense of entitlement...its always been his job now and for the future...surprised the FO "doubled down" instead of fostering real competition...

And I can understand that sentiment. I would be more concerned about it though if he wasn't (from the outside looking in) doing everything possible to get better.

I read enough things to convince myself that he wants to be the best and is doing everything necessary to win a super bowl.

I would love for Mark to have the sexy stats so I can throw it in the faces of the fans of other teams, but he doesn't do that. He wins more than he loses. That's what makes me happy.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No one was coming here to "compete" when Sanchez just got 20.5 guaranteed. That's where the failure was.

Peyton F. Mannng wants 5 for 60.... and we give Sanchez 5 for 50? Come on. Why in gods name is PFM not wearing Green.

Peyton Manning - QB - Colts Updating an earlier item, the Denver Post's Mike Klis reports the parameters of free agent Peyton Manning's next contract will resemble those of the five-year, $90 million pact he signed with the Colts in 2011.

Klis had previously reported both the Broncos and Titans were working within a five-year, $60 million framework. Denver, Tennessee and San Francisco are all now believed to be "working off" the contract Manning recently had voided by the Colts.

Source: Mike Klis on Twitter

20100929_095536_MikeKlis_CM_1__normal.jpgMike Klis@MikeKlis

My previously reported contract parameters for P. Manning were too low. Broncos, Titans, 49ers working off his old five-year, $90 mil deal

https://twitter.com/...735568022482944

the Jets really missed the boat this off-season when it comes to the QB position...and it's not a knock because Manning is not here. Forget Manning. What kind of competition will Stanton be???? I just don't get it.

The Sanchez extension was completely unnecessary...and they should have brought in Kyle Orton to compete for the starting spot. Kyle Orton, right now, is worlds better than Sanchez.

the Jets really missed the boat this off-season when it comes to the QB position...and it's not a knock because Manning is not here. Forget Manning. What kind of competition will Stanton be???? I just don't get it.

The Sanchez extension was completely unnecessary...and they should have brought in Kyle Orton to compete for the starting spot. Kyle Orton, right now, is worlds better than Sanchez.

Whens the last time an Orton led team went to the Playoffs. Dont worry I'll wait.

Neither Quinn nor Stanton are capable of 'pushing' Sanchez. But the Jets are probably smart to devote their limited resources to other areas of need such as Safety (safeties?), RT, WR and linebacker.

I don't know what Campbell or Henne got, but I guess it was much more than the Jets felt they could afford considering their other pressing needs. Though they probably didn't want to 'push' Sanchez too hard in any event.

Orton is a better QB...if you think otherwise you're a fool

What difference does it make? I have no idea why anyone thinks having some mediocre nobody like Orton or Garrard compete with Sanchez would do sh*t for this team. All having a mediocre quarterback gets you is the fear of giving him up because it could be worse, while being guaranteed to win absolutely nothing (see: Pennington's 8-year Jets career). If the Jets were going to bring in some real competition for Sanchez, then it needed to a player who has some career upside, to make him taking over Sanchez actually being worth a damn. A guy like Flynn would have been an option that fit that mold, but that went right down the sh*tter the second he put on that week 17 performance and earned himself a nice fat contract. They're better off sticking with Sanchez and keeping their fingers crossed then handing the job to (or even bring in for competition) a proven JAG who everyone already knows is the best he'll ever be, which isn't particularly good. The only other option would have been to bring in a guy who was a legit starter to take the job and then boot Sanchez to the curb (as they would have if they signed Peyton). The second they signed Sanchez to that contract extension, all of that went away and this was Sanchez's job for at least the next year or two. There was going to be no competition this year, so why would the Jets even bother pretending there would be?

Orton is a better QB...if you think otherwise you're a fool

Look at his stats last season. Not so impressive. Completion percentage is 60% but thats really all that jumps out. The guy throws a pick for every TD he throws. He also lost his job to Tebow in Denver. Sanchez is the better QB like it or not.

Look at his stats last season. Not so impressive. Completion percentage is 60% but thats really all that jumps out. The guy throws a pick for every TD he throws. He also lost his job to Tebow in Denver. Sanchez is the better QB like it or not.

I just don't see how Stanton will give him any competition whatsoever, he poses no threat. A more experienced guy like Orton on the other hand definitely would drive Sanchez to work harder.

The combo of Sanchez/Orton looks much better than Sanchez/Stanton

I just don't see how Stanton will give him any competition whatsoever, he poses no threat. A more experienced guy like Orton on the other hand definitely would drive Sanchez to work harder.

Orton's definitely better than Staton no question about that. But Bleedin Green is right, the Jets just signed Sanchez to a 3 year extension so he's the guy at least for the next year or two, so why should the Jets pretend he might lose his job to Orton when he obviously won't.

If Sanchez starts off 4 for 12 with a pick, Rex doesn't even have the option of thinking about pulling Sanchez now. If it's a big division game against New England and Mark is in the middle of one of his meltdowns, Rex just has to eat it. Tough spot there.

Orton's definitely better than Staton no question about that. But Bleedin Green is right, the Jets just signed Sanchez to a 3 year extension so he's the guy at least for the next year or two, so why should the Jets pretend he might lose his job to Orton when he obviously won't.

I realize Sanchez is the guy...I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with a little competition in camp. A guy like Orton would have provided that...not Stanton.

The Jets will have to live or die with Sanchez...

I realize Sanchez is the guy...I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with a little competition in camp. A guy like Orton would have provided that...not Stanton.

The Jets will have to live or die with Sanchez...

And then what happens if there is a QB controversy?

The season is lost soon than last year.

I appreciate competition, but QB competition doesn't quite work the same as i does at other positions. At least not in the pros

Would you guys rather have a starting safety or a backup QB? Because if we got a guy like Orton it would cost us money that could be well spent elsewhere. I will take Stanton and possibly Reggie Nelson over Orton anyday.

If Sanchez starts off 4 for 12 with a pick, Rex doesn't even have the option of thinking about pulling Sanchez now. If it's a big division game against New England and Mark is in the middle of one of his meltdowns, Rex just has to eat it. Tough spot there.

you're assuming he's aware of what's going on with the offense

that would be progress

I dunno. You'd think he'd be used to it by now.

who is this guy?

He's a useless ****. I had Pettigrew two season in a row in FF and watch every Detroit game and I have know idea why they would sign Stanton he's ******* awful. He had Johnson and Pettigrew to throw to with a solid line and running game and was completely lost.

He won't beat Mc for the #2 spot

This. It's not about competition, it's about protection from Sanchez nose-diving the season if the defense is playing great.

There never was going to be this "competition" thing with Sanchez. Just because impatient fans want to throw in the towel on their QB after 3 seasons doesn't mean the Jets FO does. Manning was the exception as he should have been for around 20 teams across the NFL. If Sanchez has a season that is as bad as he was down the stretch last season the team will move on in 2013 guaranteed contract or not.

I guess you guys are all correct...the idea of one athlete competing against another athlete in professional sports is preposterous.

What was I thinking?

Then lets follow that logic. If competition is good then if the Titans sign Peyton Manning they should also keep Matt Hasselbeck, because then they will get the best out of Manning.

Archived