David Garrard to Miami

RyanBe_Tweetin

While the Miami Dolphins have hosted a carousel of free agent quarterbacks this offseason, they had yet to land one in South Beach. It may not be a big catch, but according to reports, that changed Monday night when former Jacksonville Jaguars quarterbackDavid Garrard signed with the Fins. Fox's Jay Glazer tweeted that he received a text from Garrard indicating that he had signed with Miami.

Via @JayGlazer:

329739758_normal.jpg

@JayGlazer

Just got a text from David Garrard telling me he's now a Miami Dolphin

19 Mar 12

Garrard visited Miami on Monday, the third QB visit in as many days. He sat out all of the 2011-12 season after being cut by the Jaguars before the season and then having surgery on a herniated disk shortly thereafter.

http://tampabay.sbnation.com/miami-dolphins/2012/3/19/2886064/david-garrard-miami-dolphins-nfl-free-agency-2012

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.hahahahahahahahahaha.

(catches breath)

Bwahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Dude has been available for over 6 MONTHS and hasn't been touched until now. That Dolphins organization is just filled with winners.

What's next, Alex Smith is going to re-sign with the Niners for far less money than Miami was willing to offer to become the eventual backup to Colin Kaepernick?

So let's see... they go from Matt Moore to David Garrard.. who cares? They trade away Brandon Marshall. Yep, they're gonna suck! Barring the unforseen, we should have it easy with the Fins and Bills this year. As far as Buffalo goes, Mario Williams will be a pain but they still don't have enough to put the hurt on us.

Garrard will compete for the starting job with Moore and lose...... No Marshall = horrible offense for the Phins

I agree. I think they bought themselves a QB controversy that they don't need, and will cause more harm than good. They'd be much better served giving Moore 90% of the first team reps rather than splitting them up.

But, you know, good.

I agree. I think they bought themselves a QB controversy that they don't need, and will cause more harm than good. They'd be much better served giving Moore 90% of the first team reps rather than splitting them up.

But, you know, good.

There are only a handful of QBs in the league that deserve to go into camp unchallenged. There's really no way for Miami to justify handing the keys to Moore and building a force field around him in the hopes that giving him absolute security somehow turns him from a mediocre QB into a lock starter. Will it help ease Moore's anxiety level? Sure. But if your starting QB is afraid of David Garrard, then he's probably not going to make it as an NFL QB in the first place. In the Jets' scenario, you can somewhat justify not bringing in a real #2 because TannenRex painted themselves into a corner with Sanchez. If he doesn't work out, they're all getting fired anyway.

There are only a handful of QBs in the league that deserve to go into camp unchallenged. There's really no way for Miami to justify handing the keys to Moore and building a force field around him in the hopes that giving him absolute security somehow turns him from a mediocre QB into a lock starter. Will it help ease Moore's anxiety level? Sure. But if your starting QB is afraid of David Garrard, then he's probably not going to make it as an NFL QB in the first place. In the Jets' scenario, you can somewhat justify not bringing in a real #2 because TannenRex painted themselves into a corner with Sanchez. If he doesn't work out, they're all getting fired anyway.

I know QB competition is a major theme here on JN lately but this isn't about competition, it's about getting your QB up to speed under a new coaching staff. Moore certainly shouldn't be scared of Garrard, but all the time he sits on the sideline watching him doesn't help the team.

I know QB competition is a major theme here on JN lately but this isn't about competition, it's about getting your QB up to speed under a new coaching staff. Moore certainly shouldn't be scared of Garrard, but all the time he sits on the sideline watching him doesn't help the team.

I disagree, slats. I think Miami is smart for hedging their bets here. There's no guarantee that giving Moore 10 more snaps in practice makes him a legitimate NFL starter. If the Dolphins are sitting there in July and Garrard looks like he's healthy and has picked up the offense, then Philbin has options. If Garrard's not there, and Matt Moore is still meh, then you just burned your entire program gambling on one mediocre player.

I disagree, slats. I think Miami is smart for hedging their bets here. There's no guarantee that giving Moore 10 more snaps in practice makes him a legitimate NFL starter. If the Dolphins are sitting there in July and Garrard looks like he's healthy and has picked up the offense, then Philbin has options. If Garrard's not there, and Matt Moore is still meh, then you just burned your entire program gambling on one mediocre player.

Hmmm....

I still agree with myself. In don't think gambling on two mediocre players is any better than gambling on one. Especially when by doing so, you limit the work the favorite will get with a new coaching staff over the spring and summer.

The fish signed Garrard because they had to sign someone after being passed over by everyone else. They would've been better served waiting for Tebow, IMHO.

You managed to contradict yourself within a few sentances. How does the bolded not 100% apply to the Jets?

Hmmm....

I still agree with myself. In don't think gambling on two mediocre players is any better than gambling on one. Especially when by doing so, you limit the work the favorite will get with a new coaching staff over the spring and summer.

The fish signed Garrard because they had to sign someone after being passed over by everyone else. They would've been better served waiting for Tebow, IMHO.

I'm with you on this one. A battle is great in theory, but it's meaningless if the incumbent is battling with a proven mediocre QB who's certain to get your team nowhere of significance. If you've got some real players with upside you're talking about that's one thing, but making your QB battle with the likes of Garrard or Orton isn't going to get your team anywhere. You either give the QB you have the chance to prove something or find another QB who you think can be the answer.

Miami is such a joke maybe they shouldnt have abandoned thier american roots and lets celebs run the ******* show...i hope they all get cancer..

Did you consider, even for a split second, that someone here or people we care for are fighting cancer right now as you wrote that? Did ya?

Hmmm....

I'm with you on this one. A battle is great in theory, but it's meaningless if the incumbent is battling with a proven mediocre QB who's certain to get your team nowhere of significance. If you've got some real players with upside you're talking about that's one thing, but making your QB battle with the likes of Garrard or Orton isn't going to get your team anywhere. You either give the QB you have the chance to prove something or find another QB who you think can be the answer.

Agree 100%

In another respect I kind of feel bad for Matt Moore.... when he got his chance to start in Carolina he did very well and turned that team around from the sh*t it was with Delhomme at the helm. Then the next season damn near everyone got hurt on the offensive side of the ball and Moore took the hit. He comes to Miami starts getting into and learning the new offense and starts stringing some very good games together. Then this season they trade away Marshall and bring in Gerrard . Now while we dont know what the thought process is with the Garrard move how does trading away talent help any QB especially when you trade away one of the top WR's in the NFL?

I think Miami has some good young players on defense but they are not far from the Jets when it comes to understanding the offense in todays NFL. Hell the Jets cant even build their offense to complement their own ground and pound philosophy which would have meant solidifying the O-Line and Bringing in some real Running backs to split time with Shonn Greene

Archived