Cimini: Assessing the free-agent market

flgreen

Assessing the free-agent market

May, 9, 2012

May 9

6:00

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

Since the draft ended, a lot of people have been asking about the top players still available in the free-agent market. The pickings are slim, but GM Mike Tannenbaum has been known to find bargains. Right now, the Jets still have at least three needs -- safety, wide receiver and right tackle. We could expand the list, but we'll keep it to three for now.

Based on the Scouts, Inc., rankings here are the top unrestricted free agents, including their last team and Scouts, Inc., grade:

WIDE RECEIVER

Braylon Edwards, 49ers -- 78

Roy Williams, Bears -- 72

Plaxico Burress, Jets -- 70

Mark Clayton, Rams -- 62

SAFETY

Bob Sanders, Chargers -- 75

Abe Elam, Cowboys -- 73

Sean Jones, Bucs -- 72

Gerald Sensabaugh, Cowboys -- 72

Melvin Bullitt, Colts -- 71

Jim Leonhard, Jets -- 70

Deon Grant, Giants -- 70

OFFENSIVE TACKLE

Vernon Carey, Dolphins -- 82*

Kareem McKenzie, Giants --80

Max Starks, Steelers -- 72

Adam Goldberg, Rams -- 67

Brandon Keith, Cards -- 67

"We could expand the list, but we'll keep it to three for now. "

Got to love Cimini. It's like a disease. He just can't write an article with out taking some kind of a shot at the Jets.

With that said I think the Jets feel they have addressed both the WR, and Safety position in the draft. If they do go there in FA I think it will be with two ex-Jets, Leonard, and Edwards. Wouldn't count on it though.

Carey is the guy I really want. I honestly believe he can be the next Woody. Depends what terms Carey and Tony are on. Carey got kind of a raw deal in Miami.

BRING IN CAREY

Holmes is locked in at #1.

Rex has said he's going to start Hill, so that means #2.

Kerley is locked in at #3.

We also have Turner and Schillens as probables for 4 and 5 in whatever order. White, McKnight and others will battle for #6, if we even have room for that.

How the hell do we have a "need" at WR? Yes, we could get one... but we don't have a "need."

I'd like to see them at least talk to Elam, Edwards and Carey

I like Braylon, but where would you even place him on the depth chart?

The Jets must scoop up one of those right tackles at their first priority, though we have a log-jam at the position right now.

The second priority would be Leonhard (if he's healthy) or someone else, if Leonhard is not healthy.

We also have Turner and Schillens as probables for 4 and 5 in whatever order. White, McKnight and others will battle for #6, if we even have room for that.

How the hell do we have a "need" at WR? Yes, we could get one... but we don't have a "need."

Agree 100%.

Jets lost Plaxico, and added three new WRs, all with the intention of getting back to their rushing roots. Don't see how WR can still be listed as a need.

A 6th and 7th rounder doesn't fill the bill at safety, however, but I'd think Rex still has Leonhard on speed dial.

I like Braylon, but where would you even place him on the depth chart?

The Jets must scoop up one of those right tackles at their first priority, though we have a log-jam at the position right now.

The second priority would be Leonhard (if he's healthy) or someone else, if Leonhard is not healthy.

let 'em all fight it out. no guarantee hill amounts to anything, and this offense is a run run run run, take a deep shot offense, so they need a deep shot target. doesn't hurt to have a guy sanchez knows already in the mix

leonhard is too small and fragile. I'm sick of him getting hurt. next

With a ground and pound O, I'm fairly positive the the Jets will only carry 5 WR's. The extra spot will be taken up by TE's and/or RB's .

As you stated 3 spots are locked up. IMO Schillens is a lock for #4 unless he gets injured in OTA's. That leaves one spot. More then likely, if he shows anything in camp, White gets it.

i wouldn't have a problem putting White on PS (where Pats can get him) and bring Edwards back. Then we can make post for the next ten years how the FO really sucks.

Great Fun

Because Holmes is not really a #1 and Hill is an unproven rookie who caught as many passes in his career at Georgia Tech as Michael Floyd did in his Senior season?

That being said, I doubt they bring in anyone because of the old is new again offensive philosophy.

if sparano and gugs dont want vernon carey we have to trust that. these guys know him better than any1

It might also be that Carey doesn't want them. Carey is leaving Miami under somewhat bad terms. Sparano was his boss.

Ha. I'm sure he'll be tons of fun to watch on kick coverage, but I don't know if I'm ready to count on him down-blocking Mario Williams on a big 4th and 1.

i was just baiting you, but I do have a feeling he is going to make the team.

Is the old rule still in effect that foreign players get an exemption on the PS?

I still don't see the reason for the Braylon love around here. Last year it was understandable, but coming into 2012 he solves nothing. He'd be a wild card that could add plenty but there is no possible way you can count on anything out him. In fact, with the current crop of WRs I think that Burress would be a much better addition, assuming equal contracts. Burress was much better in the red zone and speed and athleticism are much less of an issue after adding Schillens and Hill.

I still don't see the reason for the Braylon love around here. Last year it was understandable, but coming into 2012 he solves nothing. He'd be a wild card that could add plenty but there is no possible way you can count on anything out him. In fact, with the current crop of WRs I think that Burress would be a much better addition, assuming equal contracts. Burress was much better in the red zone and speed and athleticism are much less of an issue after adding Schillens and Hill.

Maybe, but they'd have to keep his desk away from Santonio's, because when the former Steelers get together they're mean to Sanchez.

Wow...how can Plax be still available ?

In my gut, I think he was the real cause of the locker room thing escalating to the point where it derailed the team... all it takes to turn rumblings into a quake is one guy that champions the split. If Holmes is whiney its one thing, if Holmes is whiney with his pal in his ear constantly giving that whininess positive reinforcement, then it become an issue. Which I believe is what we saw happen... and I think people around the league know this about Plax.

Agreed 100%. I personally dont see the need to add anymore WR's at all but if they were going to, on that list, I'd resign Plax. Dude was beastly in the Red Zone which helped the offense and he made some big time catches for the team. You know what you're getting out of him, you have no clue what you're getting out of BE. The only issue would be if he really was a big distraction in the locker room.

The only positions that I'd like to see addressed from now to the season is S, OL depth and TE. Otherwise, I dont see anyone that we could add who is going to make an impact/start.

In my gut, I think he was the real cause of the locker room thing escalating to the point where it derailed the team... all it takes to turn rumblings into a quake is one guy that champions the split. If Holmes is whiney its one thing, if Holmes is whiney with his pal in his ear constantly giving that whininess positive reinforcement, then it become an issue. Which I believe is what we saw happen... and I think people around the league know this about Plax.

That's a great point. It could have simply been Santonio saying something and Plax making negative comparisons to Eli and stuff like that to get in Santonio's head. I never liked bringing in aging WR's on one year tryout contracts and Plax is no exception. It's one of the reasons why I loved the Hill pick and even, to a less extent, the Jordan White pick. We finally have a nice young stable of WR's for Sanchez to grow with instead of changing them around every ******* year. The stability will be nice going forward.

That's a great point. It could have simply been Santonio saying something and Plax making negative comparisons to Eli and stuff like that to get in Santonio's head. I never liked bringing in aging WR's on one year tryout contracts and Plax is no exception. It's one of the reasons why I loved the Hill pick and even, to a less extent, the Jordan White pick. We finally have a nice young stable of WR's for Sanchez to grow with instead of changing them around every ******* year. The stability will be nice going forward.

It is a good point.

It should be interesting to see how the Hill dynamic works in the receiving core. From every interview I've seen of this kid, including when the Jets selected him, and he did the Jets chant, , he is a bundle of rah rah energy.

Don't want Plax back anymore then I want a tooth ache. I was a major Edwards guy, but I don't think he fits anymore. If they sign him, I'm good with it, but Hill removes the need. I also think once he establishes himself Hill is going to be a major positive locker room guy

It is a good point.

It should be interesting to see how the Hill dynamic works in the receiving core. From every interview I've seen of this kid, including when the Jets selected him, and he did the Jets chant, , he is a bundle of rah rah energy.

Don't want Plax back anymore then I want a tooth ache. I was a major Edwards guy, but I don't think he fits anymore. If they sign him, I'm good with it, but Hill removes the need. I also think once he establishes himself Hill is going to be a major positive locker room guy

From what I've read, most, if not all, of our picks are strong character guys. Looks like they realized that sort of thing is needed and helpful to keep things together.

IIRC thats how the Jets landed a decent LG for a couple of years (Kendall). Training camp?

Kendall was good at first but over time that decision cost them wins. IIRC it was after Kendall that they went with the premium draft route.

Eh. I don't doubt that Plax was a factor in the locker room problems. OTOH, I am 100% sure that the entire league, including the Jets and Giants knew that about him prior to him signing for 2011. The guy was a menace with the Steelers and Giants and somebody will surely sign him at some point. I don't think he is the kind of guy anybody wants to count on, but I think he will sign late and produce well for somebody. I personally hope it;'s not us, but I think if we are going to have a twisted desire to resign a former WR, Plaxico makes more sense than Braylon.

Kendall was good at first but over time that decision cost them wins. IIRC it was after Kendall that they went with the premium draft route.

Meh the team sucked it wasn't Kendall carrying the sucking. The bigger point is that talent might become available during training camp to help full any TE or OL hole.

From what I've read, most, if not all, of our picks are strong character guys. Looks like they realized that sort of thing is needed and helpful to keep things together.

Thats pretty much been true of all of our drafts in recent memory, though... Even Kenrick Ellis, who had some off the field issues early on, was said to have straightened out and was a "yes sir, no sir" type guy in the locker room towards the end of his college career. Cant remember the last guy we drafted with real character flaws...

Thats pretty much been true of all of our drafts in recent memory, though... Even Kenrick Ellis, who had some off the field issues early on, was said to have straightened out and was a "yes sir, no sir" type guy in the locker room towards the end of his college career. Cant remember the last guy we drafted with real character flaws...

**** the yes sir no sir crap, one legend in the Ellis case is that the dude came at him and a girl with a bat. Ellis took him down. If that's true then that says more about his character than yes sir no sir sh*t. **** does he shine shoes too?

**** the yes sir no sir crap, one legend in the Ellis case is that the dude came at him and a girl with a bat. Ellis took him down. If that's true then that says more about his character than yes sir no sir sh*t. **** does he shine shoes too?

Well, there ya go. Even more towards my point. Thanks!

Scotty McKnight.

A felony charge hanging over the kids head is a character flaw and beyond the draft there have been a ton of FAs they brought in with character issues - Dixon, Holmes, Edwards, Burress, Hunter, Elam. There are plenty more. You can explain away some of those guys character "issues" but not all of them. The fact is, football is a violent game, played by violent people. Every team has it's share of homicidal maniacs like Floyd Little.

Archived