Otah Physical

nj meadowlands

If we're going into the season with Wayne Hunter as the only choice at RT I'm going full on Nick Cage "Leaving Las Vegas" Style the next month

the fact that Otah is a week or so behind Hunter, doesn't bode well for his chances of displacing him as a starter. Best case for Otah might be backup swing tackle.

since we are talking about OL who else thinks Vlad will be the starter over Slauson? writing is on the wall with that situation.

the fact that Otah is a week or so behind Hunter, doesn't bode well for his chances of displacing him as a starter. Best case for Otah might be backup swing tackle.

since we are talking about OL who else thinks Vlad will be the starter over Slauson? writing is on the wall with that situation.

I was able to watch the open practice thanks to TSPN(all tebow, all the time) yesterday morning. Looked like VLAD was getting the most snaps at guard. Obviously to early to be anything concrete but it is definately a point in the right direction toward some finality with VLAD.

Possible reasons for vlad getting snaps:

1. he really is improving and can possibly displace Slauson

2. coaches are making slauson earn it back due to missing the offseason with surgery

3. coaches showing VLAD some love for working hard during offseason and want him to continue with the hard work(reward)

4. last chance for vlad to show something before he gets traded for a 7th rounder or cut

I was able to watch the open practice thanks to TSPN(all tebow, all the time) yesterday morning. Looked like VLAD was getting the most snaps at guard. Obviously to early to be anything concrete but it is definately a point in the right direction toward some finality with VLAD.

2. coaches are making slauson earn it back due to missing the offseason with surgery

3. coaches showing VLAD some love for working hard during offseason and want him to continue with the hard work(reward)

4. last chance for vlad to show something before he gets traded for a 7th rounder or cut

No one on the Jets was hurt more by the lockout than Vlad. The man was always a project, and he fell way behind with the Jets complicated OL calls last year. Physically, he's fast for his size, but appeared slow on the field because he was thinking too much.

With a full offseason and what's been described as a more straight forward OL system under Coach Gugs, Vlad could finally be in position to start reaching his potential.

I think it's a combination of 1 and 2. If Vlad can outplay and beat Slauson for the starting LG position it would really improve the OL depth situation. We know that Slauson can play, if not be a dominant LG, in this league. On the other hand, If Vlad can't beat him out it shows that he blows and that our OL depth is in bad shape while Vla wastes a roster spot.

It really is time for Vlad to step up.

My prediction to answer Bitonti's post, is that Vlad rises to the occasion and becomes an absolute road grader clearing the way for our ground and pound attack between mangold and Brick.

I think we all agree that VLAD was hurt most by the lockout. We also agree that he was drafted as a project. What remains to be seen is if he will amount to anything beyond a project and become that big ass guard to take that left side of the line to a new level.

My opinion, playing guard between Brick and Mangold should not be impossible for this kid. 2 full seasons and 1 complete offseason, he should no longer be a liability to our line as he was last year(and he was to have slauson playing with those injuries). Not to say he needs to start this year but we should feel comfortable with him replacing Slauson if he is injured this year and knocking dlinemen into the secondary next year.

Otah can't pass physical; Jets void trade with Panthers

Share on twitterShare on facebookShare on myspaceShare on stumbleuponShare on diggShare on farkShare on redditShare on email|More Sharing ServicesMoreicon_print.gif Print

Otah fails physical...

12:01 PM, July 31, 2012ι By TIM BONTEMPS

A source told The Post that Jeff Otah, who the Jets had agreed to acquire from the Panthers last week for a conditional seventh-round pick, won't be kept by the Jets.

Otah needed to pass a physical Tuesday in order for the trade to become officially. But after playing four games last season after missing all of the 2010 season due to left knee injuries, Otah was unable to get the knee to the point where he could pass the physical.

The Jets had planned on having Otah, a 2008 first-round pick, compete with embattled incumbent Wayne Hunter for the starting right tackle job. Now Hunter is clearly in line to start there after a rough first season as a starter last year.

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/jetsblog/otah_can_pass_physical_jets_void_BBYBUyxcYMhGxfSpBlavzN#ixzz22DiQdHqD

Vlad is a potential star at guard. Of course, I'm a potential astronaut. Potential and ten bucks gets you a pizza. I'll go by what i've seen: Vlad is not "raw" or a "project" or "turning the corner". He stinks. He's bad. He's on his ass every play. Yu'd think after the potential/raw/project Vernon Gholston we'd realize by now that draft picks aren't good football players simply because they were drafted. Vlad is not the answer, and i gag on my own vomit every time Rex makes a claim of improvement with a bust draft pick. At least he's not starting Vld like he did with Vern and Wilson.

Vlad is a potential star at guard. Of course, I'm a potential astronaut. Potential and ten bucks gets you a pizza. I'll go by what i've seen: Vlad is not "raw" or a "project" or "turning the corner". He stinks. He's bad. He's on his ass every play. Yu'd think after the potential/raw/project Vernon Gholston we'd realize by now that draft picks aren't good football players simply because they were drafted. Vlad is not the answer, and i gag on my own vomit every time Rex makes a claim of improvement with a bust draft pick. At least he's not starting Vld like he did with Vern and Wilson.

LMAO!!!!!

I don't necessarily agree but that was funny to me. I'm rooting for vlad. Like was said a few posts up, If we're goign to be a run heavy team, Vlad should be able to be more effective than Slauson in that role. It's the pass protection he has a real problem with. Good thing we already know Sanchez can easily deal with not having an O line. :D

Archived