Acceptance Is The key

SoFlaJets

To the harsh reality Jets fans, that once again, we ain't winning or going TO a Super Bowl in 2012/13. We are not even MAKING the playoffs...again. This team needs a new General Manager, one who can actually SEE what the team needs and then goes out and gets that player or players at those positions. I know, I know, some here will cite the drafting of Mangold and Revis at Mike Tannenbaum's genius and that some of the kids on the D-line show promise, but it's not enough.

How could anyone who is supposed to be one of the top GMs in the league not address the OL and the receiver position two years in a row? The Safety slots were finally shored up but for how long, and can Landry stay healthy? Now I know that someone is going to go and bullet point every line of this post and then another is going to call me a negative anti-Jets crusader-have at it, but anybody with half a football shaped brain can see what is happening here with this team and IT IS NOT GOOD. 5-11, 6-10, MAYBE if we're lucky 7 wins.

I frigging hate being right about something like this-I WANT ANOTHER JETS SB APPEARANCE!!!!!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How could anyone who is supposed to be one of the top GMs in the league not address the OL and the receiver position two years in a row? The Safety slots were finally shored up but for how long, and can Landry stay healthy?

Not going hard after Eric Winston was a serious mistake.

But the Jets did trade up to draft a WR in the second round, and took another in the seventh, so they did do something there. Both players actually show promise.

Laundry looks like a genuine upgrade, and one of the bright spots in the second half was watching 7th rounder Antonio Allen sticking his helmet in there on a lot of plays.

Taking it to a new level, imploding before the season even starts is new, even for the Jets.

there is nothing 'new' to all this. That's the frigging problem it's the same Jets team as last year except it's one year older and probably 2-3 wins worse

To the harsh reality Jets fans, that once again, we ain't winning or going TO a Super Bowl in 2012/13. We are not even MAKING the playoffs...again. This team needs a new General Manager, one who can actually SEE what the team needs and then goes out and gets that player or players at those positions. I know, I know, some here will cite the drafting of Mangold and Revis at Mike Tannenbaum's genius and that some of the kids on the D-line show promise, but it's not enough.

How could anyone who is supposed to be one of the top GMs in the league not address the OL and the receiver position two years in a row? The Safety slots were finally shored up but for how long, and can Landry stay healthy? Now I know that someone is going to go and bullet point every line of this post and then another is going to call me a negative anti-Jets crusader-have at it, but anybody with half a football shaped brain can see what is happening here with this team and IT IS NOT GOOD. 5-11, 6-10, MAYBE if we're lucky 7 wins.

I frigging hate being right about something like this-I WANT ANOTHER JETS SB APPEARANCE!!!!!

Maybe we're good and we're just ****ing with everyone so they jump off the bandwagon. Yep... its Rexy up to his old tricks again...

there is nothing 'new' to all this. That's the frigging problem it's the same Jets team as last year except it's one year older and probably 2-3 wins worse

I'm with ya, and it's not fun to watch what we're watching. The silver lining is that we do have two more preseason games and three more weeks until the season. A lot can be done. I am looking forward to the first rd of cuts and what kinda players get cut. Here is the truth. Our D still looks like it will be very good and our offense has 2/3 of the O line that is a problem. An average to above average RT or LG becomes available and we're ok. Our RB's are good enough to get it done IMO and our WR's are all riding stationary bikes so its tough to judge that. We all know Holmes is a good WR and hopefully Hill is getting the work he needs to before the season starts.

It's not as bad as our emotions want us to think it is and if a couple of pieces get thrown in we are all of th sudden ok.

I'm with ya, and it's not fun to watch what we're watching. The silver lining is that we do have two more preseason games and three more weeks until the season. A lot can be done. I am looking forward to the first rd of cuts and what kinda players get cut. Here is the truth. Our D still looks like it will be very good and our offense has 2/3 of the O line that is a problem. An average to above average RT or LG becomes available and we're ok. Our RB's are good enough to get it done IMO and our WR's are all riding stationary bikes so its tough to judge that. We all know Holmes is a good WR and hopefully Hill is getting the work he needs to before the season starts.

It's not as bad as our emotions want us to think it is and if a couple of pieces get thrown in we are all of th sudden ok.

OK ain't good enough beans-"OK" is what we have been many many times since I was in the 8th grade watching the Jets win the Super Bowl against the Colts. Does this team even look OK to you right now? Does it look like a .500 team, let alone a playoff team? It don't to me...

OK ain't good enough beans-"OK" is what we have been many many times since I was in the 8th grade watching the Jets win the Super Bowl against the Colts. Does this team even look OK to you right now? Does it look like a .500 team, let alone a playoff team? It don't to me...

stop getting yourself worked up over this team... its not worth it.

How could anyone who is supposed to be one of the top GMs in the league not address the OL

OL wasn't an obvious need before last year. We had Vlad that we were still hoping on, Mangold wasn't hurt yet, Hunter had been good the season before, and unfortunately Rob Turner went down when he would have been nice off the bench. Not clear cut. Though, I don't know why we didn't draft one in the first 3 picks this year.

and the receiver position two years in a row?

Um? That's not true.

Before 2011:

-Santonio Holmes, who had been adequate (if not spectacular) for us to that point, was re-signed long term.

-Jeremy Kerley was drafted, and became a starter at slot. A 5th round pick, mind you.

-Plaxico Burress was signed to start.

-Derrick Mason was signed.

Before this year:

-Stephen Hill was taken with a 2nd round draft pick.

-Chaz Shilens was signed to a low risk contract.

-Jordan White was taken with a 7th round draft pick, and he's got upside.

All told, I count 7 actions there over the two years that we "did not address" the WR position.

Two of those 7 actions involve guys that helped their teams win a Superbowl. Another was a vet. One was a surprise contributor from a late pick (5th round). One was low risk, high reward. Then there was a 2nd round draft pick.

Has it 'worked'? No, though we haven't taken the field yet for a regular season game this year, so it's tough to say it hasn't worked for two years. But it definitely didn't work last year. Guess what? Things don't always work out. But if that's not addressing it, I would like you to explain what 'addressing' means.

You have reason to be concerned, but just remember 2009 and 2010. It wasn't that long ago that we were competing for that SB appearance.

Hard to have confidence after the debacle last night. Disagree with the OP on the WR...really think we have found a couple this year in Hill and White...plus eventually we get Holmes and Kerley back. Turner will not make the roster. On the OL you are 100% correct. Hunter needs to go and it was false hope to not only expect him to play better but it was ignorant to not address this position in the off season. At this point, I'd expect Tanny to try and trade one of our surplus DL for a veteran OL. If not we are courting disaster.

On the coaching side, it shall get interesting moving forward. Have to think he's relying on the "secret" Wildcat formation to move the football. Probably have some degree of success early but we will struggle to get to the NFL average point per game. Pretty sure the average is roughly 20 point per game and we will be lucky to see that. Defense may be lights out. Not to beat a dead horse because I've said this before...but Rex is looking a lot like his Dad Buddy in the way he builds a football. Over-emphasis on one side of the ball. I have liked what I've seen especially the new guys Landry and Allen. Ellis looks improved. Just don't see enough Offense to threaten deep into the playoffs.

Has it 'worked'? No, though we haven't taken the field yet for a regular season game this year, so it's tough to say it hasn't worked for two years. But it definitely didn't work last year. Guess what? Things don't always work out. But if that's not addressing it, I would like you to explain what 'addressing' means.

There's no trophy for trying. You don't get credit for effort, that's what he gets paid for. Mike Tannenbaum isn't my friend and I don't care if he works hard or not, all I care about is whether the moves he makes work or not. That's it and that's all that matters. The turnover and sheer volume of picks used on trying to put together some semblance of a recieving unit is pathetic. This was his 7th offseason. 7th. We're pushing close to a decade now with him at the helm and he still hasn't put a stable, capable offense on the field; or anything that looks like it could develop into something in the future. And eff the Saints or the Packers. I'm talking about something that's just capable. 7 offseasons is more than enough time to put even an average unit on the field and 2 AFCC losses aren't enough to justify this abortion we're being subjected to for yet another season.

Sometimes with politics, as with football you can try and convince another person that they are wrong and it is fruitless-nothing you can say, no fact you can cite will ever change that mind, but you know what that's OK, I get it. Stoic is that person for me here on JN...Hey I hope to hell I'm wrong and that what I see is perhaps just Rex sandbagging us all and that the "real" Jets will magically show up next month. But I know what I see and I saw it in the eyes of a few players on the sidelines last night-it was only for a second but it was there alright-the players already know that this is not a good Jets team...

Sometimes with politics, as with football you can try and convince another person that they are wrong and it is fruitless-nothing you can say, no fact you can cite will ever change that mind, but you know what that's OK, I get it. Stoic is that person for me here on JN...Hey I hope to hell I'm wrong and that what I see is perhaps just Rex sandbagging us all and that the "real" Jets will magically show up next month. But I know what I see and I saw it in the eyes of a few players on the sidelines last night-it was only for a second but it was there alright-the players already know that this is not a good Jets team...

WHAT "FACT"? I'm not saying you don't have the right to be pessimistic but I hope I've demonstrated, quite clearly in fact, that the idea that he did "nothing" at WR the past 2 years is false. If you consider all of the moves that I listed "nothing," then the word "nothing" doesn't mean anything. I really don't get how you're gonna clown me for not accepting "facts" when I'm the only one bringing facts right now.

Fact: each of these receivers were signed in the past 2 years. /Fact.

If adding a seventh round pick with two bad knees and a ridiculously raw rookie from a triple-option offense is your plan to fix the wide receiver position for your struggling fourth-year quarterback, then you don't have a plan. By the time Hill is an effective starter at WR, Sanchez will be on another team.

There's no trophy for trying. You don't get credit for effort, that's what he gets paid for. Mike Tannenbaum isn't my friend and I don't care if he works hard or not, all I care about is whether the moves he makes work or not. That's it and that's all that matters. The turnover and sheer volume of picks used on trying to put together some semblance of a recieving unit is pathetic. This was his 7th offseason. 7th. We're pushing close to a decade now with him at the helm and he still hasn't put a stable, capable offense on the field; or anything that looks like it could develop into something in the future. And eff the Saints or the Packers. I'm talking about something that's just capable. 7 offseasons is more than enough time to put even an average unit on the field and 2 AFCC losses aren't enough to justify this abortion we're being subjected to for yet another season.

Boom.

So this is sorta like a Bob Knight thing? If rape is inevitable, just lay back and enjoy it?

Don't understand how Tannebaum could look at the 2011 OL and do nothing except letting Turner go.After all, all Turner did when he played was block reasonably competently, which is kinda important. It's professional malpractice.

Heck, save some cap room today and cut Hunter and Dukie-asse today. There's no way what ever OL guys will be cut by other teams could be any worse.DO SOMETHING and stop pretending this isn't a disaster in the making.

If adding a seventh round pick with two bad knees and a ridiculously raw rookie from a triple-option offense is your plan to fix the wide receiver position for your struggling fourth-year quarterback, then you don't have a plan. By the time Hill is an effective starter at WR, Sanchez will be on another team.

Ignoring the original post I responded to.

The claim was that no moves have been made in the past 2 years as far as the receiver group goes.

The moves made were Holmes, Burress, Mason, Kerley, Shillens, Hill, White. That's 7.

You want to discount White? I'm cool with that.

As far as Hill is concerned, we all know you can (and will) pick apart any draft pick we make... regardless of talent. Doesn't change the fact that he was in the top 5 WR on almost everyone's rankings.

Archived