On the Bright Side

Smashmouth

Kyle Wilson and Bart Scott played very well last night. Bart Scott looked great in fact and that was very encouraging.

If this had said, "I just saved a bunch on my car insurance," I was gonna ban you.

coples and hill look like they belong in the NFL

allen played well

landry almost knocked cruz out

cumberland showed up

mangold was a stud

rex didn't make any predictions

we should get two starting WR's back soon

Kudos for finding the bight spots on a gloomy summer night

If Landry keeps making hits like that there will be alot of receivers hearing his footsteps this year.

Coples continued to impress me.

Scott did look terrific didnt he?

Both Ellis and Wilkerson are playing like veterans

Maybin started to look like a heat seeking rocket again

Shonne Greene looks like he is ready for a strong season.

allen played well

cumberland showed up

mangold was a stud

Hill looked slow and like he couldn't catch. At least Landry is making things exciting. Tebow makes tough throws, and missing the easy ones horribly. Lets just hope that this is a preseason thing where we are trying not to show anything.

Scott led the team in tackles.

Coples will be an immediate contributor.

We shut down the Giants running game completely.

The real good news is that they haven't started game planning on that side of the ball, either. Defense is going to be fierce when Rex and Pettine start getting specific with all those parts.

The real good news is that they haven't started game planning on that side of the ball, either. Defense is going to be fierce when Rex and Pettine start getting specific with all those parts.

Yeah, if the gameplans help and Coples is nearly as good as he's been so far, this defense has a shot to be #1 in the league.

The safeties may not be much better in coverage than they were last year, but they are better all around. The secondary has been dominant without a decent pass rush, so Coples is a case of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Meaning, any increased pass rush that we generate (between him and a jump in Wilkerson's play, perhaps DeMario Davis, etc.), will exponentially increase the power of this secondary.

3 biggest bright spots for me:

#3. Bart Scott looked five years younger

#2. We seem to have found a beastly safety

#1. Shonne Greene has decided to run like he has a pair.

3 biggest low spots:

#3. Special teams. WTF Westhoff. Was it that important to cut Weatherford?

#2. Kyle Wilson still getting abused.

#1. Oline is a major fail. Hunter was a backaup for seven years for a reason.

allen played well

cumberland showed up

mangold was a stud

Damn, this post actually made me feel better. The game comes on again at 1 pm on SNY. I'm going to watch it again and pay closer attention to some of the guys I missed last night. I really hope the offense gets it together. This D looks too good to go to waste on an offense that can't pull their own weight.

It was a good night for Travis Baltz. He might be employed once again pretty soon!

On the bright side :

Once the cuts begin and teams get to point of having Practice Squads we can raid some team's PS and get a RT who is going to be a huge upgrade over what we have.

Wildcat will help us in short situations. We could not buy a yard on 3rd down last night.

Holmes and Kerley will play the regular season.

Sanchez will look for the second option on his reads.....er....I got carried away with that one!

I personally thought that the most impressive individual on the defense last night was Ellis; he was mandhandling some of those first-string o-lineman and seems to have the stamina to stay on the field longer than your typical NT. Pouha hasn't even played yet and our run defense has been that great. Devito looks healthy and back to form. Bell is a huge upgrade over Smith and is already looking comfortable getting the players in place.

On offense, I liked seeing a screen actually thrown to our RB for a change. Cannot believe we weren't getting enough push to pick up those short gains; you have to imagine that every 3rd/4th and short, tebow and the wild cat are going to go in, that's going to be a big relief as opposed to seeing Connor get stuffed twice in a row.

If white can stay healthy, he seems like he could become a contributor down the line.

Oh and Revis and Cro are still teh awesome.

I agree with all the bright spots. Coples and Hill look like they're going to pay off sooner rather than later. Bart Scott looked a lot better than we've seen him. The defense played rather well. Considering the Giants scored 26 points and only 7 of them came on an offensive touchdown, I think the defense is going to be pretty outstanding. There is a lot of depth there.

#3. Special teams. WTF Westhoff. Was it that important to cut Weatherford?

This. I've only been a forum member since January when I joined the staff here, but I've been saying for the last year that TJ Conley isn't good and it's showing more and more. In a game where field position is a huge factor - and where the defense is going to be on the field about 80% of the time if we're judging by last night - this guy with his 19 yard shank punts are the best you could do?

Meanwhile they cut Weatherford because he and Westhoff were in a pissing match and the Jets screwed themselves. I hope Rex is really maturing as a coach because he can't let these kinds of personnel mistakes happen.

They didn't cut Weatherford. They didn't tender him because it would have been well over $1M. I agree they need to get somebody in for Conley, but it doesn't have to be somebody making $1.5-2M either. I'm sure there are teams carrying 2 decent punters, just like it looks like the Jets are carrying 2 decent kickers right now.

They didn't cut Weatherford. They didn't tender him because it would have been well over $1M. I agree they need to get somebody in for Conley, but it doesn't have to be somebody making $1.5-2M either. I'm sure there are teams carrying 2 decent punters, just like it looks like the Jets are carrying 2 decent kickers right now.

He wasn't retained because westy didn't like him...not since he pulled a fake punt on 4th and 14 and only got 13-1/2.

Sure. I'm sure that money had nothing to do with it.

wasnt all that much money. Westhoff didnt care for Jay Feely either and away he went. In that case Feely had been a top kicker two years running so $ may have played a role, but the bigger nail in his coffin was that he was political and outspoken. Just like Kendall, just likew Mawae. In Weatherford and Feely cases, though, they drew Westy's ire and that dude is not to be effed with. He's a surly control freak with a temper and has major pull with the FO.

wasnt all that much money. Westhoff didnt care for Jay Feely either and away he went. In that case Feely had been a top kicker two years running so $ may have played a role, but the bigger nail in his coffin was that he was political and outspoken. Just like Kendall, just likew Mawae. In Weatherford and Feely cases, though, they drew Westy's ire and that dude is not to be effed with. He's a surly control freak with a temper and has major pull with the FO.

The money is why 100% they didn't tender him. They were trying to get Asomugha and needed the space. After that cooled off they either didn't want him, he was pissy or the Giants offered too much. I'm sure Westoff didn't like him much. Political and outspoken? I barely remember him saying a peep, except that he thinks it's okay to overrule the coach and run for it on 4th and 18. Guy was a solid punter. Not Ray Guy.

The money is why 100% they didn't tender him. They were trying to get Asomugha and needed the space. After that cooled off they either didn't want him, he was pissy or the Giants offered too much. I'm sure Westoff didn't like him much. Political and outspoken? I barely remember him saying a peep, except that he thinks it's okay to overrule the coach and run for it on 4th and 18. Guy was a solid punter. Not Ray Guy.

No not weatherford, Feely was political and outspoken. Even had a radio show. Weatherford was just kind of a jackass.

Archived