The Jets Drafts From The Past Five Years

SoFlaJets

1 16 Quinton Coples DE North Carolina 2 43 Stephen Hill WR Georgia Tech 3 77 Demario Davis LB Arkansas State 6 187 Josh Bush DB Wake Forest 6 202 Terrance Ganaway RB Baylor 6 203 Robert T. Griffin G Baylor 7 242 Antonio Allen SS South Carolina 7 244 Jordan White WR Western Michigan 2011 - New York Jets RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 30 Muhammad Wilkerson DT Temple 3 94 Kenrick Ellis DT Hampton 4 126 Bilal Powell RB Louisville 5 153 Jeremy Kerley WR Texas Christian 7 208 Greg McElroy QB Alabama 7 227 Scotty McKnight WR Colorado 2010 - New York Jets RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 29 Kyle Wilson CB Boise State 2 61 Vladimir Ducasse T Massachusetts 4 112 Joe McKnight RB USC 5 139 John Conner RB Kentucky 2009 - New York Jets RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 5 Mark Sanchez QB USC 3 65 Shonn Greene RB Iowa 6 193 Matt Slauson G Nebraska 2008 - New York Jets RD SEL # PLAYER POSITION SCHOOL 1 6 Vernon Gholston LB Ohio State 1 30 Dustin Keller TE Purdue 4 113 Dwight Lowery CB San Jose State 5 162 Erik Ainge QB Tennessee 6 171 Marcus Henry WR Kansas 7 211 Nate Garner T Arkansas

Wilkerson is actually a good player, but he's not a sack artist, and when the LBs are as bad as they are all of his effort against the run is wasted anyway.

True. A lot to expect from someone picked with the 30th overall selection, expecting him to be Bruce Smith wouldn't be fair. He does offer some pass rush ability, but not the consistent type you'd get with someone like von miller. I have a feeling we aren't going to notice how good Wilkerson, Ellis and Coples are until we completely revamp our linebacking corp. Replacing thomas and scott with an actual pass-rushing OLB and than an inside backer like Navaro Bowman (who was a 3rd/4th rounder i believe) would transform the defense immediately. You can see right away that the Texans attacked the edges and the jets just didn't have the speed to do anything about it.

Wilkerson is actually a good player, but he's not a sack artist, and when the LBs are as bad as they are all of his effort against the run is wasted anyway.

Seems like he'll be a nice player. Not an impact, Pro-Bowl type player maybe, but a really solid starter. It'd be nice to see what he could do pass-rush-wise if the offense ever gave them a big lead.

Seems like he'll be a nice player. Not an impact, Pro-Bowl type player maybe, but a really solid starter. It'd be nice to see what he could do pass-rush-wise if the offense ever gave them a big lead.

Nothing. He's never done anything impressive as a pass rusher in his career and we'd know by now.

That's true.

Also if it was not so easy to gash our defense on the ground we might see a lot more of pass rush situations.

Looked faster last year...haven't checked his weight but on TV just looks slower...my biggest criticism of Rex is his lack of credibility...he screams how awesome each guy...the they look average...the whole preseason...it was wow...gonna be the next___________(fill in the blank).

Just can't buy what Rex is selling.

Looked faster last year...haven't checked his weight but on TV just looks slower...my biggest criticism of Rex is his lack of credibility...he screams how awesome each guy...the they look average...the whole preseason...it was wow...gonna be the next___________(fill in the blank).

Just can't buy what Rex is selling.

He looks a lot heavier, and slower. Maybe they asked him to bulk up. But he looks a little sloppy.

He's a top-3 3-4 DE against the run and we got him at #30 overall. He's not great, but he's certainly not part of the problem.

Nobody's calling this out? We're just all standing around and being like "yeah, OK. I'll go with that" ? Alright, I guess. I'll just pretend everything's cool. Check my watch a coupla times. Talk about the weather for a bit. Nice this time of year. The leaves and all that. Colorful.

Nobody's calling this out? We're just all standing around and being like "yeah, OK. I'll go with that" ? Alright, I guess. I'll just pretend everything's cool. Check my watch a coupla times. Talk about the weather for a bit. Nice this time of year. The leaves and all that. Colorful.

Call out whatever you want. The numbers are per PFF. If you have numbers contra, I'd be happy to see them.

It's not worth calling out as there are plenty of metrics to back it up. Hem and haw at it all you want, just because he's not bruce smith doesn't mean he's not a solid selection. His production likely won't be noticed until we get some competent linebackers to fill in behind him. It's the reverse of the Ravens when ray lewis was begging for the organization to go out and get some interior lineman to keep the guards from destroying him. They went and got Ngata and all of a sudden the HOFer looks like a HOFer again. It's the same in reverse for us, we aren't going to appreciate wilkerson and coples until we get guys who can close in on the ball-carrier and make some plays. A navaro bowmen and a dunta hightower-like players would transform this defense overnight.

Call out whatever you want. The numbers are per PFF. If you have numbers contra, I'd be happy to see them.

I appreciate everything you're saying. With the Numbers and PFF and all. But last I checked we're ranked at or near the bottom of the league in run defense. And Wilk has no sacks. And was a 1st rounder. How can he be Top 3? It's a stretch is all I'm saying. And It's a bit chilly outside. Love the autumn, i really do. The smell of musty, dying leaves. the way the wind picks up and rustles everything with a damp chill. the spiders growing fat in preparation for the long winter. Really just nice. it really is. But uhh...hooo looka' the time! Is that Gata over there? I promised her i'd talk to her about replacement windows. Let me just chat with her quick, then we can discuss how good Mo is again a bit later. Good player that Mo. i'll be right back.

Not to defend these drafts because I will never say they were the best - but they were mostly on the defensive side of the ball. I think a lot of these guys would be playing better if the offense could sustain drives.

I appreciate everything you're saying. With the Numbers and PFF and all. But last I checked we're ranked at or near the bottom of the league in run defense. And Wilk has no sacks. And was a 1st rounder. How can he be Top 3? It's a stretch is all I'm saying. And It's a bit chilly outside. Love the autumn, i really do. The smell of musty, dying leaves. the way the wind picks up and rustles everything with a damp chill. the spiders growing fat in preparation for the long winter. Really just nice. it really is. But uhh...hooo looka' the time! Is that Gata over there? I promised her i'd talk to her about replacement windows. Let me just chat with her quick, then we can discuss how good Mo is again a bit later. Good player that Mo. i'll be right back.

I didn't say anything about sacks; Wilkerson actually carries a negative grade against the pass. But he's been a force against the run since the middle of last season or so, and the PFF numbers say he's second only to Watt in that department this year. You can take issue with PFF's charting system and you can certainly argue whether or not Wilkerson's production to this point has been worth the 30th overall pick, but...well, that's what the numbers say. FWIW DeVito and Coples both carry a high grade against the run as well. Our run defense is bad partially because Pouha is hurt and Ellis is a kid but mainly because our linebackers are ungodly terrible.

I didn't say anything about sacks; Wilkerson actually carries a negative grade against the pass. But he's been a force against the run since the middle of last season or so, and the PFF numbers say he's second only to Watt in that department this year. You can take issue with PFF's charting system and you can certainly argue whether or not Wilkerson's production to this point has been worth the 30th overall pick, but...well, that's what the numbers say. FWIW DeVito and Coples both carry a high grade against the run as well. Our run defense is bad partially because Pouha is hurt and Ellis is a kid but mainly because our linebackers are ungodly terrible.

I think what's surprising and somewhat promising is that playing well against the run is not something that usually happens right away with dlineman. To have both Coples and Wilkerson playing well against the run certainly bodes well for the future, assuming of course we are able to fill in the linebacking corp behind them. It's eerily similar to what New England did to create their elite defenses of the early 2000's: invest highly in guys on the line who can stop the run and maybe collapse the pocket and just get sound, football-smart mid-round picks that are athletic enough to close on the ball carrier and actually drop in coverage.

I'm with you DBates. I'm just poking a little fun. Sometimes it gets tough to find the positives. Our run d has been bad. So reading that PFF says we have good grades against the run---it's just joke fodder. and i like jokes. thats all it is really. Mo Wilk is decent and hopefully will be better. But jokes about replacement windows are hard to come by. so I take the opportunities when I see them. You're a good sport and a good poster. Don't take my silly jabs personally. Just being a wise-ass as usual.

Archived