Cimini: Potential Free-Agent Targets

flgreen

Potential free-agent targets

March, 7, 2013
Mar 7

3:13

PM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

The Jets don't have much cap room, so you won't see any household names on this list. They'll be bargain-shopping. Here's a look at players who might be on their wish list, with positional grades (scale of 100) and rankings by Scouts, Inc.

QB Brady Quinn, Chiefs: The Quinn-to-the-Jets speculation started a week ago. He has never come close to living up to expectations, but he has a relationship with new QBs coach David Lee. He'd come cheaply. Grade: 53. Rank 13.

QB Matt Moore, Dolphins: He's trying to cash in on a respectable performance in 2011, which says a lot about the state of the quarterback market. If Moore wants to start again, his best chance is with the Jets. The going rate for QBs of his ilk is about $3 million a year. Are the Jets willing to spend that much? Grade: 66. Rank: 2.

[+] Enlarge
Zumapress/Icon SMIFelix Jones has rushed for 2,728 yards during his five-year, injury-plagued career.
G Jake Scott, Eagles: He's starting to get up in years (almost 32), but he knows Marty Mornhinweg's system and could be a stop-gap starter for a year or two if Brandon Moore and/or Matt Slauson leave. Grade: 70. Rank: 4.

RB Felix Jones, Cowboys: Like Quinn, Jones is another first-round underachiever, but he's still young (almost 26) and runs well. David Lee coached him at Arkansas, so there's familiarity. Grade: 75. Rank: 7.

WR Mohamed Massaquoi, Browns: He has only 114 receptions in four years, but he has the body type and skill set for the West Coast system. New TEs coach Steve Hagen knows him well from Cleveland.

TE Anthony Fasano, Dolphins: He won't threaten the safeties, but he would bring a blocking element back to the tight-end position. He's a New Jersey native. Lee knows him from his Miami days. Grade: 72. Rank: 8.

S Jim Leonhard, Broncos: It's a long shot, but we know how Rex Ryan feels about him. Grade: 59. Rank: 33.

S Glover Quin, Texans: He's a solid, physical safety who could replace LaRon Landry, a free agent. Quin is considered one of the top sleepers. Grade: 76. Rank: 7.

OLB Connor Barwin, Texans: This might be a stretch because of the financials, but Ryan absolutely loved him coming out of college a few years ago. He had 11.5 sacks two years ago, but fell way off in 2012. Grade: 79. Rank: 7.

Nearly a year fromo today this was his potiential free agent list

The franchise tags watered down the unrestricted market, especially at the safety position. Tyvon Branch (Raiders), Michael Griffin (Titans) and Dashon Goldson (49ers) all received tags, hurting safety-needy teams such as the Jets.

Here's a look at which free agents (all positions) are likely on the Jets' radar as we draw closer to the signing period (next Tuesday):

Chad Henne, QB, Dolphins -- The Jets are looking for a viable No. 2 and Henne, who already knows Tony Sparano's offense, fits the bill. They'd love to sign him, but money could be an issue.

Jarret Johnson, OLB, Ravens -- A Rex Ryanfavorite from their days together in Baltimore. Johnson isn't a great pass rusher, but he's a terrific run defender on the edge. He's 31, sohe comes with a buyer-beware label. The Jets are interested, sources said.

Jameel McClain, ILB, Ravens -- Here's that Baltimore connection again. If the Jets cut ties with Bart Scott, they're going to need a replacement.

Ronnie Brown, RB, Dolphins -- The Jets haveinterest, according to sources. Brown's production has declined steadilyin recent years, but he knows Sparano's offense and could fill a need.The Jets want a back to complement Shonn Greene and they're not sure if Bilal Powell is ready.

Jason Campbell, QB, Raiders -- It's a long shot, but the Jets have had some discussions about him.

Vernon Carey, G/T, Dolphins -- The Sparano factor. And the Wayne Hunter factor.

LaRon Landry, S, Redskins -- He's the biggest name left at safety, but he has major durability concerns.

Thomas DeCoud, S, Falcons -- He's a three-year starter and only 27. Those alone will make him a popular guy in free agency. UPDATE: Reportedly re-signed with the Falcons on Tuesday.

Laurent Robinson, WR, Cowboys -- He's 6-foot-2 and scored 11 touchdowns last season on only 54 receptions. He's going to make a lot of money.

Roberty Meacham, WR, Saints --His best year came in 2009, and even that wasn't all that great. Meacham has been an underachiever, but he's 6-foot-2, only 27 and comes from a prolific passing offense.

I actually think Felix could be a great compliment to the backs we have on our roster, especially on a one year prove-it-deal where he tries to show he's healthy, like Landry the past year.

The guy's a career 4.8 ypc rusher who ran for 3.6 ypc last year. How come? Was he that banged up last season? I see he appeared in all 16 games...

My preference with RBs is to draft them, chew them up, and dump them. It's a harsh world.

Either work a Sanchez/Flyyn deal (and Idzik knows better than anyone if it's doable or desirable) or sign this guy-

"QB Matt Moore, Dolphins: He's trying to cash in on a respectable performance in 2011, which says a lot about the state of the quarterback market. If Moore wants to start again, his best chance is with the Jets. The going rate for QBs of his ilk is about $3 million a year. Are the Jets willing to spend that much? Grade: 66. Rank: 2."

The guy's a career 4.8 ypc rusher who ran for 3.6 ypc last year. How come? Was he that banged up last season? I see he appeared in all 16 games...

My preference with RBs is to draft them, chew them up, and dump them. It's a harsh world.

Banged up the entire season; couple of knees and a shoulder issue, but nothing that required surgery.  He's definitely earned the nickname of fragile felix.  Personally, I feel that Dallas never used him properly and given a one or two year deal, he's worth the value.  Not sure how much interest he'll get on the open market, that's why I think getting him on the very cheap is a distinct possibility, even if for just the one year.

Banged up the entire season; couple of knees and a shoulder issue, but nothing that required surgery.  He's definitely earned the nickname of fragile felix.  Personally, I feel that Dallas never used him properly and given a one or two year deal, he's worth the value.  Not sure how much interest he'll get on the open market, that's why I think getting him on the very cheap is a distinct possibility, even if for just the one year.

Felix Jones is a soft, fragile player. Draft a RB. 

like who? The "soft, fragile" Bernard, Ellington, Barner, Gillisee, Jamison, Randle or "slow footed, Greene clone" Lacy, Bell, Taylor?

Not saying I think that about every player but just making a point when it comes to us fans reactions and perspective.

When I read Rex Ryan really likes a player, I used to automatically give said player the nod in my own book. Now not so much.

if he works someone out personally, look out. Suspect that won't be occurring as much if at all under Idzik.

like who? The "soft, fragile" Bernard, Ellington, Barner, Gillisee, Jamison, Randle or "slow footed, Greene clone" Lacy, Bell, Taylor?

Not saying I think that about every player but just making a point when it comes to us fans reactions and perspective.

Those toys are much shinier.

Normally I'd agree, however I feel that since his stock is at an all-time low, he's the perfect candidate to buy low and give him nothing but an incentive laden deal.  I don't think he's going to get much more than that and seeing as he's worked with Lee, it could be a decent match.  His speed is a solid compliment to the guys on our roster.   This doesn't prevent us from drafting a RB in the middle or lower rounds either.

Seems like a lot of these guys were linked because of Lee.  The QB coach that orchestrated that historic 2012 season by Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Trent Green, Cleo Lemon, John Beck implosion in Miami and  the Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Chad Hutchinson Cowboys.  I don't subscribe to the QB coach having that much impact, but maybe we are trying to tank 2013.

Normally I'd agree, however I feel that since his stock is at an all-time low, he's the perfect candidate to buy low and give him nothing but an incentive laden deal.  I don't think he's going to get much more than that and seeing as he's worked with Lee, it could be a decent match.  His speed is a solid compliment to the guys on our roster.   This doesn't prevent us from drafting a RB in the middle or lower rounds either.

They already have a backup RB in Powell. They need to draft a guy who can start for them, not waste money on retreads like Jones.

They already have a backup RB in Powell. They need to draft a guy who can start for them, not waste money on retreads like Jones.

I think it's better to not look at someone as a starter or backup, but multiple backs that you can ride given the situation.  Felix offers that speed and extra-gear that no other back on our roster offers.  Whether from Felix or someone we draft, we need a back that can take it to the end-zone on any given carry, not necessarily carry a 25+ touch workload.  

Seems like a lot of these guys were linked because of Lee. The QB coach that orchestrated that historic 2012 season by Ryan Fitzpatrick, the Trent Green, Cleo Lemon, John Beck implosion in Miami and the Quincy Carter, Ryan Leaf, Chad Hutchinson Cowboys. I don't subscribe to the QB coach having that much impact, but maybe we are trying to tank 2013.

The hell you say.

I think it's better to not look at someone as a starter or backup, but multiple backs that you can ride given the situation.  Felix offers that speed and extra-gear that no other back on our roster offers.  Whether from Felix or someone we draft, we need a back that can take it to the end-zone on any given carry, not necessarily carry a 25+ touch workload.  

Call it whatever you want Felix Jones and Bilal Powell would probably be the worst backfield in the NFL, 

This.

Archived