Kevin Kolb

GangisGreen

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply
http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/4151/kevin-kolb

Beat writer Manish Mehta expects the Jets to pursue Kevin Kolb once the Cardinals release him.

Jets OC Marty Mornhinweg coached Kolb when his
stock rose in Philadelphia. Mehta says that "if the price is right,"
Kolb will land with the Jets and be the Week 1 starter. Although only
Mark Sanchez and David Garrard sit atop the depth chart now, that's a
major leap. During two seasons in Arizona, Kolb has gone 6-8 as a
starter and lost a 2012 training camp battle to John Skelton.

It is being reported that he will be released...now I have never been a fan of his but he is familiar with our new offense so it would make sense to bring him in.

Beat writer Manish Mehta expects the Jets to pursue Kevin Kolb once the Cardinals release him.

:rl:

:rl:

Awesome.  Love this ******* team.

It was not so long ago that this guy was the toast of the off-season.  He played behind possibly the NFL's worst line, without a running game and only one receiver to really throw to.  Additionally, he knows the system, knows the OC and at the right price, this is exactly the type of player you want to bring in for competition.

Call me crazy, but I'm not about to take random conjecture from Manish freakin' Mehta too seriously.

Mehta is my lest favorite Jets beat writer, and that's saying a lot, but this time I have to agree with him.  When Kolb becomes available the Jets will make a run at him.

I’ll be surprised if he signs.  As weak as the QB market is, someone will likely give him more then 2 million, which is the area I think the Jets will be topping out at.

It was not so long ago that this guy was the toast of the off-season.  He played behind possibly the NFL's worst line, without a running game and only one receiver to really throw to.  Additionally, he knows the system, knows the OC and at the right price, this is exactly the type of player you want to bring in for competition.

agreed. he does tend to fold under pressure, but he def brings in competition.  I like the fact he knows the system. Camp battle between Kolb, Garrad, Sancheze, and possibly others (Fitzpatrick, Quinn, Tebow, whoever) can only be a good thing. Have em battle it out and the guy that wins is the starter.

I don't hate Kolb. Most of the animosity comes from getting paid and then sucking, but he did fine for Marty M.

If you guys wants to be bargain hunters for the next few years until the team is Ready for the Future, then there will be interest in guys like this. It's these kind of situations that bargains come from, though there are obviously others.

A Jets-Kolb marriage? Pay attention

March, 14, 2013
Mar 14

11:22

AM ET

By Rich Cimini | ESPNNewYork.com

If QB Kevin Kolb is released by the Cardinals over the next 48 hours, which is highly likely, the Jets will consider him if the price is right, according to a league source.

New Jets offensive coordinator Marty Mornhinweg coached Kolb with the Eagles from 2007 to 2010, and the Jets would like to have a quarterback on the roster that knows Mornhinweg's system and could make an easy transition.

Kolb, traded to the Cards in 2011, will receive a $2 million roster bonus if he's still on their roster Saturday -- and that won't happen unless he's willing to take a pay cut. He also has a $9 million base salary. The Cards, rebuilding at quarterback, signed journeyman Drew Stanton Wednesday and gave him $3 million in guarantees.

The level of the Jets' interest in Kolb will be dictated by money. As seen over the last two days, they're not willing to spend a lot in their rebuilding effort under new GM John Idzik. They already have an $8.25 million guarantee committed to incumbent Mark Sanchez, and they'd prefer not to add another significant contract at the position. They signed free agent David Garrard to a one-year deal, but it was only $1.1 million, including a $100,000 signing bonus.

The Jets plan to have an open competition for the starting job. Right now, the depth chart consists of Sanchez, Garrard, Greg McElroy and Tim Tebow, whose days are numbered.

Kolb has a 9-12 career record as a starter, with 28 touchdowns, 25 interceptions and a 78.9 passer rating.

Mehta is my lest favorite Jets beat writer, and that's saying a lot, but this time I have to agree with him.  When Kolb becomes available the Jets will make a run at him.

I’ll be surprised if he signs.  As weak as the QB market is, someone will likely give him more then 2 million, which is the area I think the Jets will be topping out at.

I don't doubt that they'll at least look at him, but there's a major difference between that and running out to sign him and anointing him as the starter.  As you said, I think they'd be happy to grab him for cheap (to fill the spot they were hoping to fill Chase Daniels with) and let him compete, but nothing more than that and certainly for not any sort of high dollar or long-term commitment.

If Idzik can somehow get Kolb for the exact price Tebow was going to get this season then it's a no brainer cut Tebow, sign Kolb. That is an even swap salary wise, and a HUGE upgrade at the QB position no matter where he slots on the depth chart.

If Idzik can somehow get Kolb for the exact price Tebow was going to get this season then it's a no brainer cut Tebow, sign Kolb. That is an even swap salary wise, and a HUGE upgrade at the QB position no matter where he slots on the depth chart.

When released Tebow creates 1.5 million in dead money, he saves 1 million against the cap.  To sign Kolb at 2M it will cost an extra 1 million from the existing cap.

They seemed very interested in Daniel, but balked at the 3 million he was signed for.

Suspect same holds true for Kolb 

How many sh*tty QBs do we need?

know we can find any good ones? - What do you expect them to do, I expect 2013 to suck big hairyones. Teams been on the slide for two years. Kolb may work as a WCO QB. Plus theres no Andy Luck, RGIII or Wilson hidding in this Draft.

On the plus the Offence carnt sink as bad as in 2012.

The funny thing is if the season started with Kolb, Garrard, and Sanchez as the three QBs, 
there's a very good chance Sanchez is forced to play out the season.   

I'm all for finding cheap QBs to compete and even beat Sanchez, but why settle on guys who are known to have serious injury issues.

Kolb hasn't been able to stay healthy since he became a starter.   Garrard has missed two entire seasons. Counting on either of these two to actually play a full season is like hoping Pennington could play all 16 games.   It could happen, but rarely did.

To me, why not just go into the season with Sanchez, McElroy, Simm/rookie whomever.   No need to spend money on some guy who might not even play due to injury, etc.  Concentrate on some other position.   Sanchez sucks, but in signing two guys who have injury issues, you're almost saying Sanchez will be the QB anyway.

The funny thing is if the season started with Kolb, Garrard, and Sanchez as the three QBs, 

there's a very good chance Sanchez is forced to play out the season.   

I'm all for finding cheap QBs to compete and even beat Sanchez, but why settle on guys who are known to have serious injury issues.

Because we can't afford to pay guys that don't have serious injury issues?  Because available QBs without serious injury issues are already signed, mostly to big money deals? 

agreed. he does tend to fold under pressure, but he def brings in competition.  I like the fact he knows the system. Camp battle between Kolb, Garrad, Sancheze, and possibly others (Fitzpatrick, Quinn, Tebow, whoever) can only be a good thing. Have em battle it out and the guy that wins is the starter.

it is a question of intensity.  I did not see him play in Arizona.  He might be a puss.  But all QBs fold when they are getting hit in the face, or buried constantly.  We have seen Brady do it too.  We see Sanchez do it with a lot less intense pressure.

Not really having anything to do with this article but I want to beat Manish Mehta to within an inch of his life, disappear giving him years to recover physically and emotionally and then come back and do it again. Just saying

Because we can't afford to pay guys that don't have serious injury issues?  Because available QBs without serious injury issues are already signed, mostly to big money deals? 

I understand this, but the chances are good that a Garrard & Kolb wind up missing many games, which means Sanchez starts anyway.

That's my point behind whats the difference between having Sanchez play most games this year because Garrard & Kolb are two QBs who miss entire seasons, not just a game or two, vs just going into the season with Sanchez anyway.

We could get lucky and Garrard lasts a season or Kolb lasts a season, but Arizona hoped that the last few years.  Didn't happen.

All I'm saying is this mantra of hating Sanchez and not wanting him playing is great, except for the fact he's still here and the guys they brought in to compete with him,  are worse than Pennington when it comes to staying healthy these days.   So why even waste roster spots or time signing players like this.      

If they go into the season with Sanchez/McElroy/Simm/rookie   who cares.  They stink.

But Going into a season with Sanchez/Garrard/Kolb where Garrard/Kolb wind up missing more than half the season due to injuries,  kind of means they are back to the same spot they were without those two.   

We've been down these roads before.  Pennington was a guy that you could never count on for a season.  Freak injuries. Rare injuries. etc.

Going into a season hoping Pennington stays healthy was never really worth it.    So signing a Garrard/Kolb just means there's a very good chance Sanchez starts most of the year.   The Jets could get lucky and both guys stay healthy and beat out Sanchez.  But again, that's going back to the Pennington era when you hoped he didn't fall down wrong and miss the season.   

I just think it's a waste of signing players considering Sanchez is stuck here anyway and with the guys they signed, he'll probably be playing anyway.  Unless thats a built in excuse for the Jets.   Garrard misses the season due to whatever, Kolb gets hurt early and often,  so they are stuck with Sanchez starting again.   Fans can't really complain because hey, they did sign a couple of QBs to compete.

ffs.jpg

It will be funny to see the responses if Sanchez is starting again because Kolb and Garrard get injured.   

People always worried if Pennington could stay healthy.   Funny how Garrard and Kolb are suddenly 100 percent healthy solutions.

I understand this, but the chances are good that a Garrard & Kolb wind up missing many games, which means Sanchez starts anyway.

That's my point behind whats the difference between having Sanchez play most games this year because Garrard & Kolb are two QBs who miss entire seasons, not just a game or two, vs just going into the season with Sanchez anyway.

We could get lucky and Garrard lasts a season or Kolb lasts a season, but Arizona hoped that the last few years.  Didn't happen.

All I'm saying is this mantra of hating Sanchez and not wanting him playing is great, except for the fact he's still here and the guys they brought in to compete with him,  are worse than Pennington when it comes to staying healthy these days.   So why even waste roster spots or time signing players like this.      

If they go into the season with Sanchez/McElroy/Simm/rookie   who cares.  They stink.

But Going into a season with Sanchez/Garrard/Kolb where Garrard/Kolb wind up missing more than half the season due to injuries,  kind of means they are back to the same spot they were without those two.   

This goes to the theory that Gato and I have been railing about the last few months.  They chances are good that they will suck in 2013, so why field a team?  Sign whoever you think fits the system and will be cheap.  If they get hurt fine.  It's preferable to just sucking and if Sanchez has to finish out the season fine.  That is better than going into the preseason with no legit QBs on roster - which they have done the last few years.

Pedro, nothing you are saying is inherently untrue, but who are these QB’s?

Honestly I can’t think of a thing else that could be done.  They tried to sign Daniel, were out bid.

I read recently McElroy arm has gotten stronger.  I’ll believe it when I see it.  Simms doesn’t belong in an NFL uniform, he’s an arm for camp.

Id rather gamble that Kolb, or Garrard can stay healthy then go into the season with guys that I know aren’t, under even ideal circumstances, NFL QB’s.

If you can find one, I’m all in

It will be funny to see the responses if Sanchez is starting again because Kolb and Garrard get injured.   

People always worried if Pennington could stay healthy.   Funny how Garrard and Kolb are suddenly 100 percent healthy solutions.

Who the **** said they were solutions? They are temporary stop gaps.  Nobody is annointing them saviors except for whoever your imaginary debate partner is.

Who the **** said they were solutions? They are temporary stop gaps.  Nobody is annointing them saviors except for whoever your imaginary debate partner is.

No debate, no long term solutions.  I'm just looking at 2013 as a year where Sanchez is still here and still has the best chance to start.

To me having Sanchez/McElroy/Simms or Rookie  isn't really different than having Sanchez/Garrard/Kolb if those two guys can't stay healthy.  

They might stay healthy and there would be a legit competition and Sanchez might be relegated to 3rd string.   But knowing their histories, these guys haven't been able to do that the last few years.     And hoping they do stay healthy this year is like hoping Pennington could stay healthy.

I'm not sold on signing Garrard or Kolb are legit solutions to actually replacing Sanchez this year.

Archived