Jets (Rex) Works out DE Margus Hunt

flgreen

Jets work out SMU's Margus Hunt at Pro Day

SMU defensive end Margus Hunt is drawing a good deal of attention from the Jets. (Photo by Marco Garcia-USA TODAY Sports)

By Conor Orr/The Star-Ledger
on March 27, 2013 at 1:59 PM, updated March 27, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Rex Ryan was at Southern Methodist University today, paying particular attention to 6-8, 275-pound defensive end Margus Hunt.

As The Star-Ledger reported last week, the Jets have significant interest in the defensive end. At the conclusion of his workout, though, Hunt said he was surprised Ryan worked him out as an outside linebacker.

However, this isn't out of the ordinary for Ryan. When the Jets were after Quinton Coples last year, Ryan went down to North Carolina's Pro Day and worked Coples out as an OLB as well as a defensive end, where he ended up playing in 2012.

“It was something future-wise that was pushed up to this time, so I had to make the adjustment early,” Coples said in June after a day of working out at outside linebacker in practice. “I’m looking forward to being part of that linebacker corps in the future.”

Ryan, who's defense thrives on simulated pressures -- formations where defensive ends often drop back or roam the line of scrimmage -- loves his draft picks to be versatile. Muhammad Wilkerson could also play multiple positions along the defensive line.

Hunt will visit the Jets along with Oregon pass rusher Dion Jordan, according to people familiar with the situation who requested anonymity. This fits in with both Ryan's desire for more pressure and John Idzik's penchant for pass rushers.

Hunt ran an eye-opening 4.6 40-yard dash at the combine and threw up 38 reps on the bench. The Estonian-born former track and field star has blocked 17 kicks in his NCAA career, including seven in one season, both just shy of records.

Last year, Hunt had eight sacks and an interception for the Mustangs.

Also in Jets news....

Unrestricted free agent Chaz Schilens is on a visit to the Tennessee Titans today, according to CBS Sports.

Also, the Browns plan to release QB Colt McCoy, according to the Plain Dealer. The Jets could still be on the lookout to add competition to their preseason QB battle.

I have a feeling this guy is going to go way higher than most projections.

It happens, and never surprises me. The people that make the picks for real have those jobs for a reason, while the guys yapping and writing columsn about predictions also have that job for a reason.

It's like the weatherman gig, they never have to get it right to have job security.

I have a feeling this guy is going to go way higher than most projections.

I suspect you are right.

Right now he seems to be an early 2nd prospect.  Ran a 4.53 at his size.  Great athlete.  Won a couple of gold medals at the Junior Olympics.

Problem is he never played football until 2009, from Estonia, and from what I have read about him, he  looks like a football player, but just doesn’t seem to have the instincts on the field.

Very interesting kid

I get the feeling that Idzik sent Rex on this assignment to mak Rex think he is still relevant. The game has passed him by, 6-10 pretty much proves how stupid he is. Not surprising that Idzik would send him to see some semi-random foreigner rather than a real option at 9.

Hunt is a really interesting prospect. He could be some weird blend of Calais Campbell, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, Chris Canty, and Jason Taylor in a few years. Interesting growth potential should get him into the second or third pretty easily.

I get the feeling that Idzik sent Rex on this assignment to mak Rex think he is still relevant. The game has passed him by, 6-10 pretty much proves how stupid he is. Not surprising that Idzik would send him to see some semi-random foreigner rather than a real option at 9.

Hunt is a really interesting prospect. He could be some weird blend of Calais Campbell, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, Chris Canty, and Jason Taylor in a few years. Interesting growth potential should get him into the second or third pretty easily.

Dumb Jets.  Looking at another DE.   Stupid Rex clearly has too much control still. 

Hunt is a really interesting prospect. He could be some weird blend of Calais Campbell, Brett Keisel, Aaron Smith, Chris Canty, and Jason Taylor in a few years.

What if he turns out to be a combination of Ty Warren, Justin Smith, Randy Starks, Kendall Langford, and Aldon Smith instead?

Maybe he's compiling info on Hunt for his next coaching stop????

The White V.G.....

How? They couldn't be any more dissimilar coming out of college if they tried.  Gholston plaid football all through high school and college, Hunt played his first snaps of football in 2009, VG pretty much dominated the two years he was a starter after his red shirt freshman year, Hunt worked his way up as a special teams player to finally have an impact his senior year, Gholston was 6'3 266 and Hunt is 6'8 277, Gholston ran a 4.65, whereas Hunt ran a 4.53. Unless your contention is that anyone who is strong and fast is VG, then sure, I'll give you that one.  

Sometimes I forget all the guys we can't draft.  We can't draft a QB.  We can't draft a RB or DE transistioning to OLB.  We can't draft a TE.  S and G are not value positions.  We are good at DL, CB and C and can't add another high dollar T.  I didn't remember that we are not allowed to select anybody that had good size/speed numbers at the combine. I keep forgetting that.

Sometimes I forget all the guys we can't draft.  We can't draft a QB.  We can't draft a RB or DE transistioning to OLB.  We can't draft a TE.  S and G are not value positions.  We are good at DL, CB and C and can't add another high dollar T.  I didn't remember that we are not allowed to select anybody that had good size/speed numbers at the combine. I keep forgetting that.

make a good point (it looks like WR is the pick from the sarcastic list) 

Rex is actually really good at these types of workouts. It could be that one of his peers asked him to put the guy through his paces as a favor (which would be returned at a later date). Teams often trade info especially if in diff conferences. There are several notable cases of a NFL coach leading the workout and then his team drafting the player (Coples for example) but by and large the team running the workout doesn't draft that player. 

Margus Hunt aka "The Eastern Block" is a great draft story. First off his age he's 25, which traditionally is a 1st round killer. Danny Watkins and Branden Weeden are recent exceptions ( but as it turned out, not great moves). 

I have him valued in the area of the jets 2nd round pick. He's got actual production. 15 sacks career which is pretty good (Mingo and Jordan have 13). More impressive maybe is 17 blocked kicks which is an NCAA record. He's got elite athleticism but his height creates leverage issues that prevent him from being considered super-elite. Unless you want to project him as the JJ Watt without the sacks. He could be a PD machine if he got the timing right. 

make a good point (it looks like WR is the pick from the sarcastic list) 

Rex is actually really good at these types of workouts. It could be that one of his peers asked him to put the guy through his paces as a favor (which would be returned at a later date). Teams often trade info especially if in diff conferences. There are several notable cases of a NFL coach leading the workout and then his team drafting the player (Coples for example) but by and large the team running the workout doesn't draft that player. 

Margus Hunt aka "The Eastern Block" is a great draft story. First off his age he's 25, which traditionally is a 1st round killer. Danny Watkins and Branden Weeden are recent exceptions ( but as it turned out, not great moves). 

I have him valued in the area of the jets 2nd round pick. He's got actual production. 15 sacks career which is pretty good (Mingo and Jordan have 13). More impressive maybe is 17 blocked kicks which is an NCAA record. He's got elite athleticism but his height creates leverage issues that prevent him from being considered super-elite. Unless you want to project him as the JJ Watt without the sacks. He could be a PD machine if he got the timing right. 

If they can get him in the second I will be ecstatic.  I think he is too boom or bust to last that long.  Sure he might bust, but his ceiling is high enough that I'd bet that somebody takes a risk on him earlier.

How? They couldn't be any more dissimilar coming out of college if they tried. Gholston plaid football all through high school and college, Hunt played his first snaps of football in 2009, VG pretty much dominated the two years he was a starter after his red shirt freshman year, Hunt worked his way up as a special teams player to finally have an impact his senior year, Gholston was 6'3 266 and Hunt is 6'8 277, Gholston ran a 4.65, whereas Hunt ran a 4.53. Unless your contention is that anyone who is strong and fast is VG, then sure, I'll give you that one.

My point is that both are workout Warriors. Both are physical specimens. Veron was not a football player. Hunts not played a lot of football hence the white V.G. A very risky pick.

My point is that both are workout Warriors. Both are physical specimens. Veron was not a football player. Hunts not played a lot of football hence the white V.G. A very risky pick.

Fair enough.  Depends on when he's picked.  Anywhere in the top 15 it would be a terribly risky pick, especially considering his age.  However, if he could be had in the top third of the second, then that's a chance I'd be willing to take.  

The thing with VG was just that he was a big puss who didn't care about football, despite his elite production.  Hunt doesn't have that production throughout college, but like Ansah, he has trended upward with every game and really showed off in his bowl games and recent chances he's had.  I'd be okay with him in the second or third.

This is his last college game.  A Bowl game, so figure his competition is somewhat appropriately matched.

spoiler alert: he lights it up. 

What a game. Bet working with Karl Dunbar would do wonders for him too, and he's going to make an immediate impact on specials.

That said, he's going to go too high for the Jets to justify drafting a third 3-4 end IMO. But if they move to a 4 man front...Hunt - Ellis - Wilkerson - Coples would be both large and freakishly athletic.

please be sarcasm in ur first paragraph

Bold prediction: goes to the Steelers in the first.

Bingo

This guy is one of my favorite players in this draft for the Jets.  If they are going to play a base 4-3.  If not?  Not so much.

Are they going to take him at 9?  No chance.  Will he be there at 39*?  Small chance.

How bad would you want him?  

In the third?  I will be doing a hell of a dance if we got him in the 3rd.  I think he'll be gone before the third even if he gets arrested

I don't really expect him to fall any further past the middle of the second, in fact I'm sure he'll go in the first, my point was that with his age (turning 26 next month), relative rawness and where we draft,  I would only really be happy with him in the second or third.  

This list has him at #44

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/21959496/big-board-top-skills-moving-to-trenches-in-linemanrich-draft

44. Margus Hunt, DE, SMU: Hunt began the 2012 season atop Bruce Feldman's "Freak" list as the nation's top athlete and certainly didn't disappoint at the combine, posting a 4.62-40 yard dash and tying all defensive linemen with 38 reps of 225-pounds at 6-8, 277-pounds.

Makes sense for a 2nd rounder?

Bingo

This guy is one of my favorite players in this draft for the Jets.  If they are going to play a base 4-3.  If not?  Not so much.

Are they going to take him at 9?  No chance.  Will he be there at 39*?  Small chance.

How bad would you want him?  

He played a lot of DE, DT in a 3-4 front at SMU, so he'd fit right in, in either front.  

Not at 9, no.  But if we took Dion Jordan at #9, and Hunt with a later pick we would have some long-armed freaks all over our defense. (Wilkerson, Ellis, Coples, Jordan, Hunt, Cromartie)...s'niiice. 

Under the premise that we land the #13 pick from Tampa, we could trade back (San Fran? would they trade their #31, and #34 to get Star Lotuelei/Sharif Floyd/Kenny Vaccaro/Milliner? at #13?? Might as well get a blue chipper with all those picks).  With our coup, we could land two potential starters and a good rotational player (Hunt) on the 1st/2nd fringe with our #31, #34, #39 picks. 

Archived